PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official off-season Patriots Fans Confessional Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
caldwell and gaffney

Hmmm - no one wants to confess that they felt the team was well stocked with Caldwell and Gaffney?
Or that they felt the lack of a deep game last season was no big deal?

those two are proof that BB/SP are fallible. they saddled tom brady with second-tier WRs for the entire season. since there was a 12-4 record, they clearly did OK. but their deficiencies showed up in the AFC title game.
caldwell dropped a wide-open pass that would have made the score 38-31, patriots. he dropped the dang pass, our boys had to settle for a field goal to make it 34-31. you know the rest.

with branch & givens, patriots moved the ball upfield with short outs and slants. couldn't do it with caldwell/gaffney. in the AFC game, 34-31, when patriots could have iced the ball, they couldn't do short passes that were once a hallmark. knowing that, the dolts loaded up on the run. result: 38-34.

it wasn't the deep game, it was the short game. 5-yard passes. brady threw the ball to a spot while hardly looking. the result of 7000-8000 passes to deion branch. givens did the inside routes, and took the hits. he'd done the same number of reps with brady.

without branch/givens, patriots could not move the ball upfield to make the score 41-31, nor ice the clock.
dolts got the ball back, 34-31. we know the rest.

I liked the Patriots' 2002 offseason so much that I predicted that the Patriots would become the 1st team to 3-peat.

Re: The Official off season Patriots Fans Confessional Thread

:eek: I did think that Hugh Millen was a very good QB.

I never thought that Michael Bishop was an NFL QB as many others did at the time.

I never could figure out what anyone saw in Zolak, Bishop, or Davey. They were horrible!

Bless me Patsfans for I have sinned...
I missed the snow bowl game.
I have an excuse. I am a totally whipped male. My wife had made dinner arrangements to go dine with old neighbors months beforehand. They are British, so no football interest. I wanted to have physical relations with a woman again so I decided to stay married. I thought I'd TiVo the game and watch it when I got home. Flipped on the radio on the way home and it was the 3rd QTR and we were behind. Figured I'd just go to bed and watch the whole thing in the morning since the prospects were dim.

I'm asleep and the phone rings. "They won! They WON!!!" shouted my new son-in-law who was not a football fan until marrying my daughter during the Pats victory over Atlanter in November 2001.

Got up, went downstairs and tuned in the post game and then watched the game.

Last edited:

Bless me Patsfans for I have sinned...
I missed the snow bowl game.
I have an excuse. I am a totally whipped male. My wife had made dinner arrangements to go dine with old neighbors months beforehand. They are British, so no football interest. I wanted to have physical relations with a woman again so I decided to stay married. I thought I'd TiVo the game and watch it when I got home. Flipped on the radio on the way home and it was the 3rd QTR and we were behind. Figured I'd just go to bed and watch the whole thing in the morning since the prospects were dim.

I'm asleep and the phone rings. "They won! They WON!!!" shouted my new son-in-law who was not a football fan until marrying my daughter during the Pats victory over Atlanter in November 2001.

Got up, went downstairs and tuned in the post game and then watched the game.

It is up to a higher power than me to forgive, but I think that T-shirt will have a very hard time with this one.

I hate to admit this, and I'm sure others will secretly agree, but I find myself looking forward to the Patriots weekly 2 hour pod cast on Patriots.com. Yes it features that recently reformed POS, Tom Cassale (whom I forgive btw ;) ), but its still gives me about about an hour and fifty five minutes more Patriots talk than I hear the rest of the week. Well maybe its only really only about an hour and fifteen minutes because you have to take into account all the begging for food, insults to each other and most of the listeners and emailers.

This is the dead time of the year and we root for a team that is loathe to give out information even in the heated times. Any port in the storm, I guess. :D

Re: caldwell and gaffney

caldwell dropped a wide-open pass that would have made the score 38-31, patriots. he dropped the dang pass, our boys had to settle for a field goal to make it 34-31. you know the rest.

Revisionist history. He dropped it with 8 minutes left with the game tied at 28. It would have been 35-28, Pats (not enough points to win that day).

We were killed by the 12-men on the field penalty. The drop was frustrating but we had the ball with a little over 3 minutes left with the lead. The D somehow made Manning go 3-and-out and we had the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft