PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official off-season Patriots Fans Confessional Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Official off season Patriots Fans Confessional Thread

I'm generally wrong about the draft. Usually you could make money by betting against people I think will be good.

I thought we well overpaid for BB.

All this time, I believe NEM was dead on target about the play calling, but I was fearful that I would be tarred and feathered if I supported him.

NE would have won at least 2 more SB's with the "Great One" calling the plays instead of Weis, McDaniels and Belichick.

1. I was the minority that thought good old Pete was a great coach for this team.
2. I thought Drew was the best QB in the league.
3. I thought Ty Law and Layer Milloy Were Team players and would do anything to win.
4. I routed hard for BB to become our head coach when pete got the axe but thought the first round draft pick was a little steep.
5. I thought that Torrance Small and Donald Hayes was a dangerous duo at wideout.
6. I thought David Patten was a longshot to make the roster in 2001
7. I wanted BB's head after he cut the likes of Chris Slade, Bruce Armstrong, Ben Coates and some others.
8. I thought Tony Simmons was a stud in waiting
9. I wanted to kill BB after Keeping Terry Glenn away after he torched the chargers with Brady throwing him some sick passes that game.
10. I expected Hakim Akbar, Brock Williams, Guss Scott and Christian Morton to upgrade our team.
11. I was a little worried about the Bledsoe Trade to Buffallo.
12. I wanted to kill BB for cutting Milloy seriously I just bought his jersey
13.I thought Cedric Cobbs was gonna be a stud at rb.
14. I thought there was no way we'd let givens walk.
15. I was the minority who thought that Warren was a reach of a pick.
16. I hated drafting Maroney in the 1st cause I had Chad Jackson, Manny Lawson and Deangelo Williams rated slightly ahead of him on my board.
17. I never thought we'd land AD

Foreshadowing

No way Moss makes an impact;)
No way Brandon Merriweather is anything more than a dimeback;)
No way Lua makes the roster
No way Stallworth and moss decide they want to stay patriots for the longhaul at reasonable cap prices:)
No way the Pats beat the St Louis Rams in the superbowl again this year:rocker:

1. I knew nothing about Ty Warren in 2003 and thought the Pats had erred in not going for several other players who were still available.

2. I didn't think Reche Caldwell had the capacity to catch 60+ passes in a season (though I still contend he's a #3 WR, and if we had a stronger WR corps last year its unlikely he would have seen the ball as much)

3. I too thought BB was crazy for releasing Milloy

4. I thought Pete Carrol was going to be a good match for a veteran team at the time

5. I thought re-sigining Willie McGinest during Pete Caroll's regime was a mistake

I hope I'm not wrong about my contention that the Pats can get by without Daniel Graham - or at least the fact that he's not worth "Top 5" TE money.

I thought without Ty Law, Pay-a-ton was going to come here in the 2004 playoffs and light up the Patriots. Should have known better, Manning choked as usual.

I didn't think the Patriots had a prayer vs the Steelers in the AFC Championship game after what had happened earlier that year on the same field. Should have known better with a rookie QB and Scowler's brutal AFC Championship coaching record up to that point.

That said, the 2004 team is and always will be my all time favorite team..........................

1) At the time of the trade, I thought Duane Starks would be a good fit for this team.
2) I never thought we'd trade for Randy Moss.
3) I didn't think this team would be able to sign Stallworth.
4) I thought Guss Scott would turn into a good safety.
5) Spent two years rooting for Bam Childress.

1) At the time of the trade, I thought Duane Starks would be a good fit for this team.
2) I never thought we'd trade for Randy Moss.
3) I didn't think this team would be able to sign Stallworth.
4) I thought Guss Scott would turn into a good safety.
5) Spent two years rooting for Bam Childress.

Oh yeah - I definately was a Randy Moss doubter... though he's saying all the right things thus far... I'm certainly giving him a chance... though really its about trusting BB's judgment more than anything

And I still root for Bam Childress.

i proposed we trade Assante Samuel for Randy moss in a thread on here way back.

I guess that's not really saying much..............

More:

I was not very excited when BB was named Head Coach.

I never thought that Randy Moss would be on this team, ever.

Ricky Williams!

Why? That's one guy I was pulling for from the very start.
My only confession (not Pats-related) is that I thought Ricky Williams had cleaned up his act and would be a real force with some team this year.
i'm still into the ricky williams fantasy. if BB/SP haven't made him an offer yet, he must be a real hippie mess. i am a bonafide hippie from the '60s, so i cocnsider meself entitled to use the term. freak out, man.

o'callaghan is going to be a true RT. i believe BB/SP have seen that. am pulling for him to get the program and move up.

1. Thought we'd fall apart when Milloy (one of my faves) was released.

2. After the Branch fallout I predicted there was NO WAY any big-name, big-talent player would even consider coming to this seemingly cold and cheap NE organization.

3. Considered the fact that we may be a one-hit-wonder after Supberbowl 36. (Had little faith we'd win that game too.)

I feel better now....thanks! Oh the shame of doubting my favorite team!!

Last edited:

-Not knowing much about the draft, I wanted them to pick that fat-a** Lendale White at #21, and I was outraged when they picked "some nobody", Laurence Maroney.

-I thought Duane Starks would be a good player for us. He only turned into the worst football player of all time.

-I though we would lose superbowl 39 when the Eagles got on the scoreboard first.

Last edited:

I was one of those people who believed Kraft was a penny pincher and would sacrifice the team's success for saving money and not signing premiere elite players - That myth changed this year.

1997 - Not realizing the ineptitude of Bobby Grier, I, for one, was psyched about the 4 draft picks we got for Bill Parcells.
1997 - I bought into the "Bledsoe will be better without the contraints put on him by Parcells" crapola.
2001 - moments before the Mo Lewis hit, i remember sitting on the couch saying, the only chance we have is if Bledsoe gets hurt.
2001- after Woodson hit Brady and the ball came loose, i buried my head in my hands convinced we had lost and i dreaded all the dopes that i just knew were going to call WEEI and spew hatred at Brady.
2003 -I was a little disappointed after SB 38. I thought with a blowout of Carolina that Patriot team could have been remembered as one of the great defenses of all time. But that 2nd half meltdown ruined all that.
and the all time confessional:
1980 MNF at Miami. I was a HUGE John Lennon fan and a HUGE Beatles fan.
But when John Smiths FG attempt got blocked and the playoffs just about went down with it I was just as bummed out about that at the time. And that was and is just wrong. But hey, I was only 18.

I believed in the Pats in 2001 and SB 36. I didn't have a lot of faith in Brady, though. I wanted them to package Brady, Bledsoe and somehow trade up to draft David Carr.

After the final regular season home game in 01, against Miami, I said, "Brady is a good quaterback but not a Super Bowl quarterback".

On the release of Milloy and subsequent loss in week one, I was despondent. "Just give Buffalo the division. I may become a Bills fan as my two favorite players are there now."

Right before the tuck play, I turned to my buddy and said, "this is just like the 98 playoff game in Pittsburgh where they hung in and Bledsoe fumbled." Next play, the would-be fumble.

As I was a student at UConn at the time, I was thrilled with the possible move to CT. Now that I live in MA, I love that they stayed.

I thought that the additions of Henry Thomas and Zefross Moss were the "keys to put us over the top" after SB 31.

Going into the Titans regular season game in 2003, I thought, "I'm glad I'm giong to the Sox game today." That game started the streak.

I'm sure there is more, but that is all I'm willing to divulge right now.

Confession is good for the soul. But you might want to also consider counseling.

Counseling, been there done that. It did not work.

God, been there done that. It did not work.

Alcohol, been there done that. It did not work.

Money, been there done that. It did not work.

Chasing women, been there done that. It did not work.

Patriot victories are all that works. Wins keep me on an even keel. I was up until 1 A.M. last night rewatching the Pats vs Chargers game. It had me wound up. I had to keep reminding myself that I knew the outcome and that we would win. I slept like a baby after watching LT cry like a baby because we weren"t classy enough for him.

Last edited:

I believed in the Pats in 2001 and SB 36. I didn't have a lot of faith in Brady, though. I wanted them to package Brady, Bledsoe and somehow trade up to draft David Carr.

David Carr? OMG! That thought deserves this> :eek: :eek: :eek: & another for the road :eek:

If ther was a prize for best confession you'd win. no contest. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes