PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official "Everything OTA" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harmon it is. Lets hope he can make the jump. Other then him this secondary looks very solid. What is wrong with Dennard?

Christopher Price ‏@cpriceNFL 30m
At one point, Revis, Browner, McCourty & Harmon all working together on practice field w coaching staff while other defenders in ST drills.

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 24m
Duron Harmon is going to be the starting safety next to McCourty, in my opinion. Competition is his to lose.

A late 3rd round safety winning the starting job in his 2nd year is exciting and scary knowing our safety history.

Looking at Ian's snap count links, I was surprised actually by how many snaps Harmon played towards the end of the season. He was over 50% in 6 of the last 7 regular season games, with three or four games in the 80-100% range. What encourages me is I don't remember him that much, which for a rookie safety isn't really a bad thing. For example, I remember Tavon Wilson playing his rookie year even though he played much less, because there were blown coverages that stood out. Harmon didn't have many of those for a rookie.

Ha, those Alabama RBs are tricky. I'm 2-1, as it looks like I will be wrong on Lacy. Weird, because it seemed like in college Ingram/Richardson were better/more talented than him.

I know you and I debated in multiple threads on both Lacy and Richardson (mostly about Richardson). Not too sure about Ingram, though.

So, this issue is settled. We can move on to others.

:)

Harmon it is. Lets hope he can make the jump. Other then him this secondary looks very solid. What is wrong with Dennard?

Looking at Ian's snap count links, I was surprised actually by how many snaps Harmon played towards the end of the season. He was over 50% in 6 of the last 7 regular season games, with three or four games in the 80-100% range. What encourages me is I don't remember him that much, which for a rookie safety isn't really a bad thing. For example, I remember Tavon Wilson playing his rookie year even though he played much less, because there were blown coverages that stood out. Harmon didn't have many of those for a rookie.

That's because Tavon was standing on the 15 yard line looking confused while the opposing WR was burning Arrington (who was probably expecting help) 1 on 1 at the 5 on a post route. Touchdown, Seahawks. Harmon was not nearly as bad as Wilson was in Wilson's first year but I specifically watched him when I could and he does have plenty of room to improve. The angles that he takes and his play recognition both have to improve before he's solid starter, but I honestly hope he gets there. The two second year guys I'm rooting for the hardest in TC are Boyce and Harmon.

So media was allowed to watch minicamp....what's up with the lack of tweets and links about how it went?

Maybe everyone is watching Brazil vs Mexico right now? lol:p

BqXGxG6CAAA_Nb-.jpg:large

That #24 looks like a pretty good receiver, Mr GreyShirt is gonna have a hard time covering him

Who is he covering? Thompkins?

He definitely isn't what you'd call "injury prone," but he's missed more than 50% of a season in only two years here. It's something to keep an eye on for the future, not that I'm meaning to knock him--just pointing out a concern.

Hopefully, it's precautionary, although we hope that for all of our injured/missing players just the same.

He obviously has a ton of talent and potential. He just needs to stay out of trouble (especially with having a violation and a no tolerance policy under his belt...it wouldn't take anything serious, that's for sure), and stay as healthy as possible. This could be an important year for him.

@RapSheet: #Cowboys QB Kyle Orton is not at the facility for minicamp today, I’m told. Apparently he isn’t bluffing as he strongly considers retirement

Yes, i know BB has said trading Mallett is something the Patriots aren't interested in. However, the Cowboys may be a good last ditch effort destination for Mallett in return for a 4th or a 5th if Garoppolo continues to impress in minicamp.

At least this is finally someone with a realistic expectation of what Mallett may bring in trade value.

Ben Volin‏@BenVolin2m
Day 1 of #Patriots minicamp in the books. Gronk, Mallett, Mankins, Dennard (illness), Dobson, Easley all not practicing because of injury

Mike Reiss‏@MikeReiss2m
With QB Ryan Mallett present but not taking part in drills, more extended work for rookie Jimmy Garoppolo today.

Nick Underhill‏@Nick_Underhill2m
Wilfork and Kelly took part in the first 11-on-11 session. They then spectated

Timed Jimmy G’s throws. Was over 3.5 seconds a bunch of times early in practice. Got rid of it quicker as the session progressed

Allen was between 4.26-4.65 HT on his punts today

Edit: I believe the first tweet is slight incorrect, I don't believe Mallet is missing due to injury, or did I miss something?

That must be one hell of an "illness" that Dennard has, since he hasn't been there for weeks now....

Seems a little odd.

At least this is finally someone with a realistic expectation of what Mallett may bring in trade value.

You never really got it and you still don't but that is fine.

What most of us said, was there was no way BB was going to trade Mallett before the draft for anything less that a 2 or a high 3, figuring it would force him to rely upon a rookie who he has never had in camp before, or to bring in a free agent.

Now that the draft is over and we have another quarter back in camp, I would assume the asking price may drop if JG does well and BB can rely upon him, getting something for Mallett, as well as opening up a spot on the roster for another player.

Of course if other teams lose their qb's, or if other rookies struggle, it may actually serve to increase Mallett's value.

He definitely isn't what you'd call "injury prone," but he's missed more than 50% of a season in only two years here. It's something to keep an eye on for the future, not that I'm meaning to knock him--just pointing out a concern.

Hopefully, it's precautionary, although we hope that for all of our injured/missing players just the same.

He obviously has a ton of talent and potential. He just needs to stay out of trouble (especially with having a violation and a no tolerance policy under his belt...it wouldn't take anything serious, that's for sure), and stay as healthy as possible. This could be an important year for him.

PatriotsSB49 ‏@PatriotsSB49 1m
Dennard actually injured both shoulders and has been excused from OTSs/camp. Was allowed to rehab during his incarceration.

As long as Dennard is ready for the regular season I am not going to be worried. Though having him bank for TC be nice. I would rather Ryan get more snaps anyway as he has less experience.

Minicamp should be just about over for today. Looked around but no tweets regarding how they are playing. I wonder what is up with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick