PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official "Everything OTA" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Reiss‏@MikeReiss2m
More
CB Darrelle Revis among those not participating in the full practice. Logan Ryan steps in to that spot.

^ It's hard to tell what that means since Dennard isn't ready to play. Ryan across from Browner though with Dennard out and Revis, hopefully, just excused for a day.

Mike Reiss‏@MikeReiss3m
More
QB Ryan Mallett, who wore a brace over his knee, once again was present early but did not participate. More reps for Jimmy Garoppolo.

Christopher Price ‏@cpriceNFL 11m
Roy Finch had an awesome over the shoulder catch.

Brady hit Thompkins on nice fade in end zone over Browner in 11 on 11s. Really impressive play--Brady put it where only KT could catch it.

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 10m
Josh Boyce has a left leg injury and didn't practice. Got stretched out early but watched the rest of practice. Setback for huge offseason.

Rookie Jon Halapio continues to get a lot of reps at guard with a reasonable facsimile of the starting offensive line.

It's going to be tough to find room for Finch on the 53 man roster, but he's been leading the UDFAs in news/plays since rookie minicamp. Swanson as well as a 2nd year player too.

Ben Volin‏@BenVolin32s
More
#Patriots practice over. Darrelle Revis disappeared midway through. Mallett didn’t work, so another day Garoppolo got a ton of reps

Haven't seen anybody talk about him getting hurt, seems he had a reason to leave practice.

Man this Swanson kid seems to just keep having good practices. It would be a shame to cut him.

Im not calling Swanson a Richard Sherman.. but there ARE diamonds to be found among the late and undrafted player pools.

Can anyone tell me if Sherman showed any signs in college of becoming the leagues best CB? Thats an almost Brady-esque pickup.

Im not calling Swanson a Richard Sherman.. but there ARE diamonds to be found among the late and undrafted player pools.

Can anyone tell me if Sherman showed any signs in college of becoming the leagues best CB? Thats an almost Brady-esque pickup.

If I remember correctly, I think Sherman started as a WR at Stanford and only converted to CB late in his college career

Doug Kyed @DougKyedNESN · 24m
I sound like a broken record, but Daxton Swanson was all over the field again today. Two INTs and a pass breakup.

Doug Kyed @DougKyedNESN · 17m
Kenbrell Thompkins had a great practice. Caught a fade over Browner and had a nice back shoulder catch. Both from Brady.

Doug Kyed @DougKyedNESN · 24m
I sound like a broken record, but Daxton Swanson was all over the field again today. Two INTs and a pass breakup.

Doug Kyed @DougKyedNESN · 17m
Kenbrell Thompkins had a great practice. Caught a fade over Browner and had a nice back shoulder catch. Both from Brady.

I really hope the back shoulder throws are something they focus very heavily on, we went from having 0 WR's proficient at it in 2012, both Dobson and Thompkins looked capable if they could hold on last year, and this year we also added LaFell, that gives us 3 who could excell on that route/pass combination.

Watching GreenBay is a great example of how effective that pass can be. It's nearly impossible to defend if the WR sets it up correctly and the QB puts the ball in the right spot.

Swanson might not be a fake. He lead his state for ints in 08 in high school with 13 and broke his school record for ints in college in 2011 with 8. So he's shown great ball skills before.

Last edited:
^ It's hard to tell what that means since Dennard isn't ready to play. Ryan across from Browner though with Dennard out and Revis, hopefully, just excused for a day.
For those wondering about Dennard I think this is the answer :

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolin42 mins
RT
@BGlobeSports: From @BenVolin: Patriots CB Alfonzo Dennard recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. http://bit.ly/1iGV0aN

Nick Underhill‏@Nick_Underhill24m
More
Tom Brady on Jamie Collins lining up on offense: “I asked him if he felt smarter in the offensive huddle”

Ben Volin‏@BenVolin
25s
More
Jamie Collins got into the offensive huddle in goal line situations today. We started calling him JC Superstar during practice

Vrabel role from the 5yard line maybe? Interested to hear exactly what they had him doing. Collins is a lot more interesting to hear about lining up on offense than most defensive players who have in the past because they are usually linemen taking a FB role on the goal line, Collins is an athlete that could, if he understood his role enough, could box out other LB's as a TE.

He did play offense growing up, no?

Finally, some clarity on the situation:

Ben Volin‏@BenVolin1m
Belichick on Revis leaving practice early: "All the players that are out there practicing are practicing, and the ones that aren’t, aren’t."

hah --"Injury report comes out Wednesday .. .September 3."

Last edited:
Finally, some clarity on the situation:

Ben Volin‏@BenVolin1m
Belichick on Revis leaving practice early: "All the players that are out there practicing are practicing, and the ones that aren’t, aren’t."

I wish he'd get more creative with his non-answers. Something like, "He's been excused. He had a really bad itch on his elbow." Or, "He had pre-purchased tickets to How to Train Your Dragon 2 and couldn't get the $21 refunded. What was I supposed to do, make him miss that?"

Nick Underhill‏@Nick_Underhill24m
More
Tom Brady on Jamie Collins lining up on offense: “I asked him if he felt smarter in the offensive huddle”

Ben Volin‏@BenVolin
25s
More
Jamie Collins got into the offensive huddle in goal line situations today. We started calling him JC Superstar during practice

Vrabel role from the 5yard line maybe? Interested to hear exactly what they had him doing. Collins is a lot more interesting to hear about lining up on offense than most defensive players who have in the past because they are usually linemen taking a FB role on the goal line, Collins is an athlete that could, if he understood his role enough, could box out other LB's as a TE.

He did play offense growing up, no?

Almost as importantly, I feel like they wouldn't be messing around with him on offense if he wasn't doing sufficiently well understanding his defensive responsibilities. This means he's ready to take on more, which is a good thing.

No revis? This is the END!!!

Things are becoming interesting at wide receiver with Thompkins and Boyce both having great off seasons thus far. Right now, you have to wonder if those two continue to play great, and Dobson returns and plays well, if a player like LaFell or Amendola would be at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes