PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official "Everything OTA" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Brady's chemistry is again on point with Danny Amendola, who caught a quick pass in 11-on-11s when the defense lined up in a unique formation. That's a case where Amendola executed his hot route." - Jeff Howe

Every report out of the workouts so far has been exceedingly positive for Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola, even with them taking extra reps with Brady while the Pats run their special team drills. Those two are miles ahead of everyone else on the Pats' depth chart at this point.

They're keeping all 6+Slater is my thinking, barring injury or trades.

Gallon's in a really tough position with both Boyce and Thompkins being standouts in camp thus far. They're certainly not going to cut Dobson, period.
What about LaFell, I said LaFell or Amendola.

They may just replace "Studfeld" with Finch, when it comes to the hype machine.
I am not surprised that Finch is performing well in OTA, he would dominate a flag football league, but once the pads go on and players start hitting each other the 5’6” 177lb Finch will not be as impressive.

He's also a 186-pound safety. While there might be room at safety, with Logan Ryan and Jemea Thomas as 'tweener safeties at around 190-195 pounds, and Devin McCourty a converted corner, there's more need for a bigger safety and more of a logjam at 'tweener safety.
He's a cornerback...a 191-pound one.

Very true. I feel like there's a tendency as fans, particularly between the draft and preseason, to succumb to the irrational exuberance since we're all just fiending for table scraps to tide us over at this point. I try to keep an even keel but it can be tough.

With his leaping ability, Collins makes sense as a red zone threat. Hell, Collins makes sense anywhere at this point. Sick athlete.
Collins was a QB in high school; in 2007, he ran for 1000+ yards and passed for 1000+ yards while accounting for 26 total touchdowns.

Very true. I feel like there's a tendency as fans, particularly between the draft and preseason, to succumb to the irrational exuberance since we're all just fiending for table scraps to tide us over at this point. I try to keep an even keel but it can be tough.

With this being the slow season, and fans not allowed to go watch what's happening and get more immune to the hype, it's bound to happen most years, if not every year.

Well, pound for pound Finch certainly already has Sudfeld beat on that front.

He's also a 186-pound safety. While there might be room at safety, with Logan Ryan and Jemea Thomas as 'tweener safeties at around 190-195 pounds, and Devin McCourty a converted corner, there's more need for a bigger safety and more of a logjam at 'tweener safety.
Steve Gregory weighed 185lbs and was 5’10” the misconception that we are without a BIG safety is a false; if we played Ryan and McCourty, we would have a bigger safety tandem than we did in 2013.

Never will understand why your thought process is so alien to some people.

Its human nature.

Its the off-season.

I dont even see that much if any unwarranted hype about Finch. Even the people who are watching him with Woodheadian interest recognize that he's a long shot to even make the team.

Well, pound for pound Finch certainly already has Sudfeld beat on that front.
You know what Sudfeld’s problem was, he was weak, so in OTAs he could do a lot of things well, but once the pads went on and it became physical he was not nearly the player. He put up 11 reps on the bench at his pro day, that is really poor for a TE.

The flipside is fans often succumb to the opposite, where if a player is cut during the season that he immediately becomes a bum incapable of playing.

I happen to think Sudfeld and Ras-I might end up being good players in this league eventually. I mean the prototypical example is Darius Butler, who ended up being an allstar after he left. Different scheme, different situations etc etc

With this being the slow season, and fans not allowed to go watch what's happening and get more immune to the hype, it's bound to happen most years, if not every year.

That's why we have the World Cup to tide us over :)

(just kidding!)

The flipside is fans often succumb to the opposite, where if a player is cut during the season that he immediately becomes a bum incapable of playing.

I happen to think Sudfeld and Ras-I might end up being good players in this league eventually. I mean the prototypical example is Darius Butler, who ended up being an allstar after he left. Different scheme, different situations etc etc

Butler has done nothing of the kind. He couldn't get it done in New England. He couldn't get it done in Carolina. He's now in Indianapolis, where, last season, he wasn't a consistent starter until after Toler went down.

You know what Sudfeld’s problem was, he was weak, so in OTAs he could do a lot of things well, but once the pads went on and it became physical he was not nearly the player. He put up 11 reps on the bench at his pro day, that is really poor for a TE.

Sudfeld was actually performing well in TC and in the preseason when he came in against scrubs. When he got to play with the big boys is when it really hit home that he kind of sucked.

"once the pads go on and players start hitting each other the 5’6” 177lb Finch will not be as impressive."

Darren Lee Sproles

Position: RB
Height: 5-6 Weight: 181 lbs.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SproDa00.htm

yeah, cut him along with that waste, Amendola.If anyone disagrees with me, you have to know you're better than that.

"once the pads go on and players start hitting each other the 5’6” 177lb Finch will not be as impressive."

Darren Lee Sproles

Position: RB
Height: 5-6 Weight: 181 lbs.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SproDa00.htm

yeah, cut him along with that waste, Amendola.If anyone disagrees with me, you have to know you're better than that.

At least get the information right –

Height: 5061
Weight: 187
40 Yrd Dash: 4.47
20 Yrd Dash: 2.62
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
Vertical Jump: 33
Broad Jump: 08'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.96
3-Cone Drill: 6.96

The Eagles have him listed at 190lbs.

What about LaFell, I said LaFell or Amendola.

LaFell got 3 million guaranteed - they wouldn't do that and just cut the guy. They just wouldn't.

He's going nowhere this year. The Pats expect him to contribute nd they'll give him at least a year, almost certainly two, given the structure of his contract, to prove he's worth the 9 million he'll make.

You don't sign a vet with that king of guaranteed money, then cut him for a shiny new toy.

LaFell got 3 million guaranteed - they wouldn't do that and just cut the guy. They just wouldn't.

He's going nowhere this year. The Pats expect him to contribute nd they'll give him at least a year, almost certainly two, given the structure of his contract, to prove he's worth the 9 million he'll make.

You don't sign a vet with that king of guaranteed money, then cut him for a shiny new toy.
Generally, the best players make the team. Whether they are the veteran or the shiny new toy as you put it.

Generally, the best players make the team. Whether they are the veteran or the shiny new toy as you put it.

You like to pull up data. Go pull up the data of all the players that BB has cut in year one, without making the first 'official' 53 man roster, after giving that player a signing bonus of $3 million or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes