PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

53 man poster projection after game 1 of the preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to create a Roster based on the first game alone, Tyms should be there. He was trully great, and I absolutely disagree that he could have catched that ball cleanly.

If he were to use everything untill now (In other words, consider practices too), Mallet won't be cut, IMO.

People in different threads already have him making the roster based on preseason Week 1 playing time vs. scrubs. Yes, that's a wild overreaction.
Simms did the same thing last season everyone was talking about him being on the roster and he couldn't even stick on the practice squad. I do not think he makes the roster. If Boyce does not make the roster it will be because they do not carry 7 WRs.

At this moment i don't think he makes the roster either, but i do think he is a very interesting prospect who has earned more play time and maybe a turn with the 1's and 2's. At the very least, he has earned a spot on the practice squad so far.

Simms did the same thing last season everyone was talking about him being on the roster and he couldn't even stick on the practice squad. I do not think he makes the roster. If Boyce does not make the roster it will be because they do not carry 7 WRs.

What has Boyce done so far in his career that makes you see him as such an absolute lock? Except for the fact that you like to obsesse about combine numbers, and Boyce is fast. Boyce is probably competing for the last WR spot on the roster. Unless he shows promise I could absolutely see him getting cut in favor of someone like Tyms if that player shows more improvement and promise than Boyce during camp. I would not feel safe on the roster if I was Boyce. He isn't just competing against other players but also competing to show that we actually have a WR worth taking that last roster spot. Tyms will have to do the same to make the roster.

But it's hard to see how good Tyms actually is because he was competing against the lower end of the 90 man roster. I hope that they give him some chances next week to compete against the opponents atleast second string players so he can show if he actually belongs there.

At this moment i don't think he makes the roster either, but i do think he is a very interesting prospect who has earned more play time and maybe a turn with the 1's and 2's. At the very least, he has earned a spot on the practice squad so far.
I agree with that. I would like to see more of him. The problem is over the next few weeks I would expect Edelman, Amendola, and maybe Dobson (if he comes off PUP) to see reps. It might be hard to run him out there especially with them wanting to have LaFell learn the offense, and see what they have in Thompkins and Boyce.

What has Boyce done so far in his career that makes you see him as such an absolute lock? Except for the fact that you like to obsesse about combine numbers, and Boyce is fast. Boyce is probably competing for the last WR spot on the roster. Unless he shows promise I could absolutely see him getting cut in favor of someone like Tyms if that player shows more improvement and promise than Boyce during camp. I would not feel safe on the roster if I was Boyce. He isn't just competing against other players but also competing to show that we actually have a WR worth taking that last roster spot. Tyms will have to do the same to make the roster.

But it's hard to see how good Tyms actually is because he was competing against the lower end of the 90 man roster. I hope that they give him some chances next week to compete against the opponents atleast second string players so he can show if he actually belongs there.
I don't see Boyce as a lock at all. I just think he makes the team as the 7th WR or we only carry 6 like in years past.

The question at the bottom of the WR depth chart will have a lot to do with ST performance. That alone gives Boyce a better than even chance of making the team, whereas someone like Tompkins could get beat out by a DB.

One guy that caught my eye was Zach Moore. I don't think he showed up much statistically but I liked his pass rush. He got pretty close a few times and used a nice combo of power of athleticism. Albeit it was against backups but I'm hoping to see some more against the Eagles.
I think he rushed exclusively from the end spot but I'd be curious if they tried him inside given his length and strength.

One guy that caught my eye was Zach Moore. I don't think he showed up much statistically but I liked his pass rush. He got pretty close a few times and used a nice combo of power of athleticism. Albeit it was against backups but I'm hoping to see some more against the Eagles.
I think he rushed exclusively from the end spot but I'd be curious if they tried him inside given his length and strength.
Moore is huge, I did not realize he was that big until the other night, he fills out the #71 jersey as well as Deaderick used to. I heard he was playing inside in practice so we might see some of that.

Post preseason game one roster

Yep, it is overreaction time! But we only have limited info to go off of. After seeing the game 2 times and having read practice reports most days here is my current 53 (i might do this after every game if people want to).

Offense - 25

QB - 2 - Brady JAG - The only reason to keep both Mallet and JAG is if Mallet is a quality backup QB and you believe JAG needs to develop. Right now that does not appear to be the case. At the least Mallet inspires no confidence as being able to keep your season alive if Brady goes down for a long time period.

TE - 3 - Gronk Hooman DJ/FA - DJ may be kept but we will see how healthy he is. Jones/Watson have done little to earn a spot at the least. Also Develin can be the emergency backup. If possible a FA signing after cuts is the best way to go.

RB/FB - 4 - Rildey Vereen White Develin - A bit light perhaps but no one showed me they can play and Bolden is hurt and has been so-so at best since his first season anyway. Save the roster spot.

WR - 7 - Edelman Amendola Dobson Lefell Thompkins Boyce Slater* - Slater will be put here just cause. Boyce is kept for now due to the disaster we saw last week at KR. However if Edelman and Amendola are healthy after 4 weeks when Tyms comes off his 4 game suspension and now you have to make a tough choice. Personally I think you keep Tyms as you don't really need a 3rd slot guy if the above 2 are healthy and Tyms showed some promise.

OL - 9 - Solder Mankins Wendell Cannon Vollmer Stork Kline Hala Fleming - Connolly is cut due to money. To keep him he needs to clearly be head and shoulders above Wendell and I have not seen that.

Defense - 25

DE - 4 - Jones Nink Buch Moore - Smith is cut due to his higher salary. Last game i saw no real difference between him Buch and Moore. Also no practice notes seem to indicate him being clearly better either. The Patriots save a few 100,000.

DT - 5 - Wilfork Kelly Easley Jones Vellano - Siliga starts on the PUP. He replaces Vellano later. Easley provides emergency DE backup. Jones sounds like he will be good to go for week 1. If so i project he makes it on the day 1 53 roster.

LB - 6 - Mayo Collins Hightower Anderson Beauh Fleming - Beauh looked like the best LB out there for us with the starters sitting. Anderson will hopefully get it as he has a strong track record and is young. The 6th spot is still up in the air. Right now Fleming is in the lead. Still it is very close.

CB - 5 - Revis Ryan Dennard Arrington Butler - Butler showed a lot last game and I heard good things about him the past 2 weeks or so. He won't make it to the PS so he forces himself on the roster. Browner is added week 4 and I expect all of them to be kept if Butler shows he has promise.

S - 5 - McCourty Harmon Wilson Chung Ebner - For now we go 10 DBs I think. Wilson/Chung both showed enough to earn a spot and Ebner is a core STs. I think BB extents this competition into the regular season. Once Browner is back you have to make a choice though.

STs 3 - No surprises.

Last edited:
Mike Reiss with his latest roster prediction:

New England Patriots' projected roster - espnBoston

Reiss goes with three QBs, four RBs plus Develin, two TE, six WR (plus Slater), and nine OL. On the OL he has Connolly, Stork, Kline, Halapio and Fleming making the roster over Wendell et al.

On defense Mike has nine DL, with Jones, Siliga, Buchanan and Moore as the backups while Will Smith is edged out. Anderson and White are joined by Fleming at LB, who gets the nod over Beauharnais. Malcolm Butler makes his roster as the 5th CB (6th including Browner), and with only four safeties, Reiss goes with Ebner and Wilson over Chung, Thomas and K Davis.

From the perspective that we need tall WRs and RZ targets which Boyce is not.

Disagree on this Pissah, he's going to go by execution not size. If Boyce is running his routes and adjustments right and hanging onto the ball then he is close to a lock to make it, especially given his ST abilities.

Mike Reiss with his latest roster prediction:

New England Patriots' projected roster - espnBoston

Reiss goes with three QBs, four RBs plus Develin, two TE, six WR (plus Slater), and nine OL. On the OL he has Connolly, Stork, Kline, Halapio and Fleming making the roster over Wendell et al.

On defense Mike has nine DL, with Jones, Siliga, Buchanan and Moore as the backups while Will Smith is edged out. Anderson and White are joined by Fleming at LB, who gets the nod over Beauharnais. Malcolm Butler makes his roster as the 5th CB (6th including Browner), and with only four safeties, Reiss goes with Ebner and Wilson over Chung, Thomas and K Davis.

I don't see Moore beating out Smith, i think he goes PS. However I can't actually read this because i have myself on ignore........................

The question at the bottom of the WR depth chart will have a lot to do with ST performance. That alone gives Boyce a better than even chance of making the team, whereas someone like Tompkins could get beat out by a DB.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I don't think there's much, if any, chance Thompkins gets left off the 53.

I'm pretty bored right now, so here's another 53 from me (not sure when I last posted one):

QB (3): Brady, Mallett, Garoppolo
RB (5): Ridley, Vereen, White, Bolden, Develin
WR (7): Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, LaFell, Boyce, Slater
TE (2): Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui
OL (9): Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, Vollmer, Kline, Halapio, Fleming, Stork
DT (5): Wilfork, Kelly, Easley, Siliga, Chris Jones
DE (4): Chandler Jones, Ninkovich, Buchanan, Moore
LB (5): Mayo, Collins, Hightower, Anderson, White
CB (5): Revis, Dennard, Ryan, Arrington, Butler
S (5): McCourty, Harmon, Chung, Wilson, Ebner
ST (3): Gostkowski, Allen, Aiken

And some thoughts:

-It's going to take a whole lot more from Garoppolo (and Mallett really has to blow it) before I project 2 QBs.

-It seems to be the new cool thing to write off Bolden, and he's not exactly inspiring anyone with his play, but he's shown that he can at least be a role player in the NFL, he has pretty much no competition (Finch has "moves" and nothing else) and 3 RB seems a bit too light.

-7 WR to compensate for only 2 TE. If a WR gets cut, it'll be one of Thompkins/LaFell/Boyce. Probably Boyce, especially if someone else proves capable of returning kicks.

-It's going to either be Connolly or Wendell, and right now it looks like Connolly. The backups on the OL are pretty interchangeable. Kline or Halapio could lose their spots to guys like Barker, Cave, Devey based on practice/preseason play.

-Sucks leaving Vellano off because I love the way he plays. Unfortunately, he might be one of the least physically gifted players in the NFL and has pretty much no ceiling. Too many better DTs to keep him, although perhaps he could steal Chris Jones' spot. Siliga could end up on IR, too, but I certainly hope not.

-No Will Smith. That guy's done. I feel comfortable with just Buchanan and Moore as backups so long as Easley is versatile enough to also be a backup end.

-Every spot behind the starting 3 LB is up for grabs. Anderson looked terrible against Washington but he by far has the most encouraging NFL resume. Beauharnais looked even worse, so I gave his spot to Darius Fleming, but got rid of the 6th LB entirely when Dobson and Easley came off PUP and I had to find room for them. I think one of White and Ja'Gared Davis makes it as a ST-only linebacker.

-Tough cuts at defensive back. Thomas and Swanson both seem to have potential but haven't done much in TC, so I don't feel justified projecting them to the 53. Kanorris Davis is an animal on special teams but 6 safeties would be ridiculous. He'll probably find a spot when the odd man out is determined at SS (I think either Harmon or Wilson will end up getting cut with Chung staying as a role player). Davis could also just replace Ebner since they play similar roles.

I think we keep 7 WRs including Slater, because the WRs we have with the exception of LaFell all have injury concerns attached to them.

Thompkins - missed 4 games last season.
Dobson - missed 4 games last season and is currently on PUP.
Boyce - missed the start of camp and the final 3 games last season.
Amendola - has played in 50% of his games over the past 3 seasons.
Edelman - missed 7 games in 2012.

I do agree with you that we need taller WRs and Boyce does not fit that but we do not have any that I see making the roster. I am not drinking the Tyms Kool Aide...o_O
Football players have injury concerns. I don't think roster decisions are made based on whether played had non-chronic injuries last year if they are 100% now.

Very interesting. Here is mine as of right now:

QB (3) Brady, Mallett, Garoppolo
RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, White, Bolden, Develin
WR (6) Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, Thompkins, Slater, Boyce
TE (2) Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui
C (2) Connolly, Stork
G (3) Mankins, Kline, Halapio
T (4) Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Fleming
DE (5) Jones, Ninkovich, Buchanan, Smith, Moore
DT (5) Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Easley
ILB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Beauharnais
OLB(2) Collins, Anderson
CB (5) Revis, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan, Butler
SS (3) Harmon, Wilson, Ebner
FS (2) McCourty, Chung
ST (3) Gostkowski, Allen, Aiken

Total players: 53

Browner (suspended 4 games)
Tynes (suspended 4 games)
Dobson (PUP) but that one that lets them come back any time not just 6 games.

Bubble when all 3 return. Smith, Boyce, Bolden, Chung, Ebner, Mallett.

Wow this looks like there will be some tough cuts this year. One thing that would make it a whole lot easier on us as some have pointed out is if Garoppolo moved above Mallett as the #2 QB allowing us to just keep 2 there.

My latest, which I'm sure will change.

JG seems to have taken his game into his practice so I saved a QB spot. Went back to Bolden but Finch flashed despite his mistakes so I could flip those two. Went with Maneri, Gronk is irreplaceable so I'm going with the TE who can block and go to a little different offense if we're without Gronk. Butler is obviously in place of Browner to start.

QB (2) Brady, Garoppolo
RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Develin, White
WR (7) Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater, LaFell
TE (3) Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui, Maneri
C (1) Stork
G (5) Mankins, Halapio, Connolly, Kline, Cannon
T (3) Vollmer, Solder, Fleming
DE (5) Jones, Ninkovich, Smith, Moore, Buchanan
DT (5) Wilfork, Easley, Siliga, Jones, Kelly
ILB(1) Mayo
OLB(4) Hightower, Collins, Fleming, Anderson
CB (5) Revis, Dennard, Butler, Arrington, Ryan
SS (2) Ebner, Wilson
FS (2) McCourty, Harmon
ST (3) Aiken, Allen, Gostkowski

Created with Pats Picker: http://patspicker.patsfans.com

RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Develin, White
WR (7) Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater, LaFell
TE (3) Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui, Maneri

Not to pick on you in particular, but that's 14 guys plus Slater of whom exactly 5 will play at once. Yes, it also contains the returners, but it's still a lot, leading to skimping elsewhere.

Not to pick on you in particular, but that's 14 guys plus Slater of whom exactly 5 will play at once. Yes, it also contains the returners, but it's still a lot, leading to skimping elsewhere.

FWIW I've been leaning toward skimping on both RB & TE on the grounds that for the first cut, the "depth" talent there just isn't worth protecting:

QB (3) Brady, Mallett, Garoppolo
RB (4) Ridley, Vereen, White, Develin
WR (6) Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, LaFell, Thompkins, Boyce
TE (2) Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui
C (2) Stork, Connolly
G (3) Mankins, Kline, Halapio
T (4) Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Fleming
DE (4) Jones, Ninkovich, Buchanan, Moore
DT (5) Wilfork, Kelly, Easley, Jones, Siliga
ILB(2) Mayo, Beauharnais
OLB(4) Collins, Hightower, Fleming, Anderson
CB (5) Revis, Dennard, Ryan, Arrington, Butler
S (5) McCourty, Harmon, Wilson, Chung, Ebner
ST (4) Gostkowski, Allen, Aiken, Slater

Created with Pats Picker: http://patspicker.patsfans.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back