2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Sick of it yet?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Facts: How does Cassels first year stats stack up with Brady's

The biggest difference between Brady and Cassel ? Brady makes the players around him better. The players around Cassel make Cassel better.

I think the comparison is fair in that Cassel is doing enough to get this team to win the whole thing just like Brady in 2001. Of course the defense isn't holding up their end of the agreement. Granted the 2001 defense started out slow and became a dominant defense the last third of the season and the playoffs.

I do see a lot of Brady in Cassel, but Cassel is deficient in some areas. Neither could throw the long ball their first years as a Pro. So I will give him a pass in that area. Cassel does need to work on his pocket presense and progressions a bit, but those might be gained with experience.

I do see a lot of Brady in Cassel, but Cassel is deficient in some areas. Neither could throw the long ball their first years as a Pro. So I will give him a pass in that area. Cassel does need to work on his pocket presense and progressions a bit, but those might be gained with experience.

He's already come a long way. His sack ratio is down by about 75% versus his first three games.

And, I might add, his TD to Gaffney went over 30 yards through the air (from the shotgun at the 27 to the middle of the end zone).

Last edited:

He's already come a long way. His sack ratio is down by about 75% versus his first three games.

And, I might add, his TD to Gaffney went over 30 yards through the air (from the shotgun at the 27 to the middle of the end zone).

I never said that Cassel wasn't progressing, but he still has a lot of work to do. He is a much different QB today than what took the field on September 7th in replacement of Brady.

Re: Facts: How does Cassel's first year stats stack up with Brady's

I think one of the things everyone is missing is how much the game has changed since 2001. QB stats are up across the baord. The Dink and Dunk offensive strategy has taken hold and with the tougher DB touching receiver standards QB stats will continue to accelerate. A 4,000 yard passing year will soon be no big deal and QB ratings in the 80's are no longer that impressive. With all that said, Cassell has been very impressive and I'm excited. I too love Brady but I love the Pats more and the better MC plays the better the Pats will be. We'll end up trading him for a 2nd and a 5th after he is franchised and our next group of studs will be on the way.

Now can we just STFU and stop the insanity????
Like your anti-Cassel diatribes to start the season?

Let's consider the difference in talent.

Welker vs. Brown isn't much of a difference.

Otherwise, the receiver corps are close if we DON'T include Moss. Huge difference.

TEs -- well, terribly inconsistent as they are, they aren't WORSE this year.

OL -- experienced Light, Mankins, Koppen vs. rookie Light, Compton or whoever, Woody -- advantage Cassell.

With Neal hurt more than healthy, right side of the line isn't great either year.

RBs as blockers, pass-catchers -- Redmond wasn't bad that year, and Faulk was around, but this year is clearly better

RB as rock-carrier -- just how much better was 2001?

Whoa reformat that stat line its confusing to look at

I keep coming back to 2007. Brady was there. They didnt win the Super Bowl because once again, when it mattered, the defense wasnt good enough.

Now, its 2008. Thomas is gone. Maroney is gone. the OL is beaten up. They would go deep into the AFC playoffs with Brady, but they just arent capable of beating the Giants or Titans.

In any case, Obviously i agree that there chances would be much better with Brady. But Brady doesnt tackle. In 2001,2003, and 2004 we won first with defense aided by great QB play. In 2006 and 2007 they fell short trying it the other way around.

i think this team was built to play the titans...they play right into our strenghts....

i would LOVE to face the titans in the PO's

Ha!!! I posted this just 7 days ago i got blasted for it.

7 days later, people around here are saying Cassel is an All Pro and maybe we should trade Brady.

Football makes men act and think like women. :)

Football makes men act and think like women. :)

What an a ss stupid thing to say. :rolleyes:

hmm, can you guess which stats are from 2001 and which ones are from
2008? And I hear player A had trouble with the long ball.

G Att Comp Pct Yds YPA YPG TD Int Rate
Player A 15 413 264 63.9 2,843 6.9 189.5 18 12 86.5

Player B 10 316 208 65.8 2,200 7.0 220.0 10 7 87.3

Point is....we neither have to annoint Matt Cassel a God or underestimate the job he has done this year to salvage a season, without the previous playing time others, including Brady, usually get.

Matt Cassel has had an amazing season and if the Patriots get to the playoffs hes the teams MVP.

Tom Brady did not have Randy Moss and Wes Welker to throw the ball to in 2001.

Cassel is doing a great job and is really coming into his own, but I'm not ready to dub him the next Brady yet. Cassel's breakthrough performances are VERY GOOD for increasing his trade value though.

Re: Cassel vs. Brady pros and cons

I expect better from CHFF.

I would be extremely upset if the Pats traded away Brady. I would want to see a blockbuster deal the proportion of the Hershal Walker trade to even consider it (and that would be only a fleeting second before I would come to my senses and realize how stupid it is to trade Brady). Even then, I would want Belichick and Pioli to report immediately to the closest mental hospital.

Brady is a still a special player who comes around only once or twice a generation. I am not ready to put Cassel in that category after 2 games.

Last edited:

Oh God what's going on here? When does it stop?

I would be extremely upset if the Pats traded away Brady. I would want to see a blockbuster deal the proportion of the Hershal Walker trade to even consider it. Even then, I would want Belichick and Pioli to report immediately to the closest mental hospital.

Brady is a still a special player who comes around only once or twice a generation. I am not ready to put Cassel in that category after 2 games.

Well put. The lack of common sense on this board and in the media is enough to drive you crazy. I appreciate what Cassel has done, but I wouldn't trust him to lead this team if it didn't have Moss and Welker and the likes on it. Brady has been there and done that.

Fortunately, the folks running this team don't have kneejerk reactions like the fanbase does.

I must admit the thought has crossed my mind, but usually when it happens I just take another hit of the joint and start thinking of hot pockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News