2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Sick of it yet?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cassel vs. Brady pros and cons

Tell me what Cassel would have accomplished in 2006 with Reche Caldwell,Jabar Gaffney and a 35 year old Troy Brown as your 3 main WRs?

Not much at all you say?

Case closed - Brady is not going anywhere

If brady is traded, I am done with the nfl...Trust me, I was a fan before brady, and will be a fan after he retires...but, if Brady is traded (which he wont be) that means the best coach in the nfl has lost his freaking mind. Thats just something that would be way to silly to watch.

I hope they do trade Brady. Call me an idiot or whatever, but the key details are this:

Brady is 32 coming off major reconstructive knee surgery. He'll never be the same guy in the pocket ever again.

There is a huge dropoff from Brady to Cassell in terms of productivity and talent. The only thing bigger than that dropoff is the incredible value that you'd get for him out of a trade. Think two 1sts and a young starting defensive player. If you went to San Francisco and said, give me Patrick Willis and your next two first round picks, they'd have a serious chat about it. At that point you're talking about building another dynasty, guys. Are you that attached to Brady that you wouldn't want to see a team chock full of young stars that will contend not just for four more years, but for ten?

I dunno. Guys like Cassell don't just come around out of nowhere. This isn't an accident, the way he's played the past few games. If he could get a long ball, and a full training camp as the starter. It's worth considering.

I hope they do trade Brady. Call me an idiot or whatever, but the key details are this:

Brady is 32 coming off major reconstructive knee surgery. He'll never be the same guy in the pocket ever again.

There is a huge dropoff from Brady to Cassell in terms of productivity and talent. The only thing bigger than that dropoff is the incredible value that you'd get for him out of a trade. Think two 1sts and a young starting defensive player. If you went to San Francisco and said, give me Patrick Willis and your next two first round picks, they'd have a serious chat about it. At that point you're talking about building another dynasty, guys. Are you that attached to Brady that you wouldn't want to see a team chock full of young stars that will contend not just for four more years, but for ten?

I dunno. Guys like Cassell don't just come around out of nowhere. This isn't an accident, the way he's played the past few games. If he could get a long ball, and a full training camp as the starter. It's worth considering.

you're an idiot, or whatever.

To be fair to Cassel, he would have looked even better this year had our receivers caught and hung on to some "sure completions". Instead there were a lot of mishandling and turnovers. I'm not saying that either is better than the other. I just think we can't lose in this situation. We'll get something no matter what. For a guy who everybody wanted to be cut before the season began ( CUT, not traded, CUT FOR NOTHING ), he's now being tipped to be traded for a number 1 pick. That's pretty awesome.

But in all seriousness, we have to think that Cassel is gonna be our quarterback until Brady is fully recovered. We don't know when he will be fit. So I think all this speculation is pointless.

Last edited:

How do you know Brady will never be the same again? What is your medical degree?

I have more faith in Brady returning at 100% next year than in Cassel being the elite QB of the future for this or any other team.

It is two games. Billy Volek looked this good for two games. I think Cassel is far better than Volek, but I don't know if he is remotely as good as Brady.

You're insane then. Those two 1sts could turn into nothing. Would you trade Brady for Mankins and Maroney? Hell, no. What about Wilfork and Watson? And those were all good picks.

How do you think Cassel will play without Moss and Welker around him? Seriously? I mean, come on. We have no idea how they would fare then, they might be terrible. Are you that in love with draft picks that you'd ship a HOFer just to get some?

Not to mention that whatever team Tom Brady is traded probably becomes the favorite to win the Super Bowl. Brilliant.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/threads/000/088/879/1267414-batman-******ed.jpg

:rolleyes: 10 char :rolleyes:

I hope we keep Cassel. Having the guts to cut is the hardest thing to do, but the Pats will never trade Brady, it's unethical. Brady is my favorite player of all time and it's amoral to trade him away. Injuries unfortunately can rip a player's career apart. I don't think it's fair to Brady to expect him to return to his 2007 form. What if Brady won't as good as the 2008 Matt Cassel? Matt Cassel is 26 and healthier than ever, we DO have a decision to make folks. Brady is 32 with a Culpepper like knee. Plus he's been away from the game for a year and must be looking like tulip right now not being able to competitively condition with IV ABX running through his forearm.

I think you people who aren't willing to at least look this in the face are the type of people who would be good at managing the Lions.

If you don't think that there is going to be a sit-down within the front office and an unchecked discussion of options at the end of this year, you're stupid. And whatever.

This kind of response is exhibit A of why a great poster like PatJew just quit coming here. Just because someone says something you don't like doesn't make him an idiot. Respect your fellow posters, dude.

Well put. The lack of common sense on this board and in the media is enough to drive you crazy. I appreciate what Cassel has done, but I wouldn't trust him to lead this team if it didn't have Moss and Welker and the likes on it. Brady has been there and done that.

Fortunately, the folks running this team don't have kneejerk reactions like the fanbase does.

Bingo, I have tremendous faith in BB and Pioli evaluations of talent and know they will make the best decision possible. Its just shame that we will not know the extent of TB rehab by the time FA comes around. Its gonna be a tough call to spend the $ on the insurance of franchising Cassel for one year just make sure TB has his sealeags back . . . we'll see . . .

You're insane then. Those two 1sts could turn into nothing. Would you trade Brady for Mankins and Maroney? Hell, no. What about Wilfork and Watson? And those were all good picks.

How do you think Cassel will play without Moss and Welker around him? Seriously? I mean, come on. We have no idea how they would fare then, they might be terrible. Are you that in love with draft picks that you'd ship a HOFer just to get some?

Not to mention that whatever team Tom Brady is traded probably becomes the favorite to win the Super Bowl. Brilliant.

Here's why this doesn't make sense. Because you aren't talking about a late-1st round pick like Maroney or Mankins, you're talking about a top five pick. You'd send him to San Francisco. And you'd also ask for a Patrick Willis. So even assuming you'd get a mid-late 1st the next year (after Brady predictably tears it up), you'd be getting a stud young defensive player to form a core with Meriweather and Wheatley and Mayo, and you'd get a top pick to grab either a franchise left tackle or some incredible defensive end. I wouldn't trade Brady for Wilfork and Mankins, of course not, but if we had a porous defensive line and offensive line, and the dropoff was not enough to keep you out of the playoffs, I'm not sure I wouldn't think about it.

They'll keep Brady and I'll be glad. I'm sure his knee will heal, even if it takes a year or two. And in three years he'll be 35, and maybe he wins another super bowl maybe not. In four years he'll be thinking about retiring and we'll be thinking about "the future." Or, conversely, in four years you'll have a Matt Cassell at the prime of his career, a defense with potentially five well-coached first-round picks, three of them from within the top ten of the draft, and a still-solid offense. Think about it, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Re: Facts: How does Cassel's first year stats stack up with Brady's

hmm, can you guess which stats are from 2001 and which ones are from
2008? And I hear player A had trouble with the long ball.

G Att Comp Pct Yds YPA YPG TD Int Rate
Player A 15 413 264 63.9 2,843 6.9 189.5 18 12 86.5

Player B 10 316 208 65.8 2,200 7.0 220.0 10 7 87.3

Point is....we neither have to annoint Matt Cassel a God or underestimate the job he has done this year to salvage a season, without the previous playing time others, including Brady, usually get.

Matt Cassel has had an amazing season and if the Patriots get to the playoffs hes the teams MVP.

Well since the 15 and 10 are games played I'm gonna go with A is TFB and B is MFC Monte.

Last edited:

Here's why this doesn't make sense. Because you aren't talking about a late-1st round pick like Maroney or Mankins, you're talking about a top five pick. You'd send him to San Francisco. And you'd also ask for a Patrick Willis. So even assuming you'd get a mid-late 1st the next year (after Brady predictably tears it up), you'd be getting a stud young defensive player to form a core with Meriweather and Wheatley and Mayo, and you'd get a top pick to grab either a franchise left tackle or some incredible defensive end. I wouldn't trade Brady for Wilfork and Mankins, of course not, but if we had a porous defensive line and offensive line, and the dropoff was not enough to keep you out of the playoffs, I'm not sure I wouldn't think about it.

They'll keep Brady and I'll be glad. I'm sure his knee will heal, even if it takes a year or two. And in three years he'll be 35, and maybe he wins another super bowl maybe not. In four years he'll be thinking about retiring and we'll be thinking about "the future." Or, conversely, in four years you'll have a Matt Cassell at the prime of his career, a defense with potentially five well-coached first-round picks, three of them from within the top ten of the draft, and a still-solid offense. Think about it, that's all I'm saying.

Whatever team Brady goes to will most certainly be a playoff team at a minimum. Look what Brady did in 06 with receivers that aren't even in the league anymore. Whatever team Brady goes to will probably be picking between 26-32. The reality of the situation is that whatever team we trade Brady to might suddenly become a better team than us. That wouldn't be good.

Honestly, how quickly forget. It's pathetic how 2 outstanding games was all it took for people to forget what Brady's been doing since 2001 (and before those 2 games, when Cassel had been playing steady ball all along, these same folks wanted Kevin O'Connel in!!). This isn't like 01 with Bledsoe - the writing was on the wall for Bledsoe already. Brady just got off the best season of any QB in the history of the game.

Last edited:

Just to recap what I've been reading on this board for the last 3 months or so:

to: Cassel is only a game manager
to: We should let Cassel air it out more....
to: Cassel is better than Brady

This is all after 11 Games...

Brady is the best quarterback to play the game...that isn't just homerism (well, maybe a little)...not a chance in hell I let him go. Franchise Cassel and trade him. The only logical conclusion.

No, Tom Brady just got off major reconstructive knee surgery, that's what he just got off of.

Brady's my favorite athlete of all time. But I root for the New England Patriots. I'm seeing a dynamic emerge with Cassell, and I like it.

Did you see that pass with time running out last week? That doesn't happen by accident! And STILL their biggest problem is DEFENSE. You'd almost singlehandedly solve their defensive problems by trading Brady. Think about the team you could have... Thomas, Willis, Mayo, Vrabel, Wheatley, Hobbs, Meriweather, Sanders, and two more first rounders? Spend another two first rounders on the offensive line, and try to work out a good deal to grab Larry Johnson? Send Maroney somewhere for a 3rd rounder?

Okay I'll shut up now but my point is just that you could really see a pretty damn stacked Pats team with the value you'd get for Brady, and if Cassell performs well in the playoffs this year you're going to have a serious controversy on your hands.

Actually:

Player A: 1 for 3; 33%; 6 yards; 0 int; 0 TDs rate 42.4.
Player B: 13 for 24; 54.2; 183 yards 1 int; 2 TDs rate 89.4

That is actually how they compare on year one.

There are so many "woulda, coulda, mightof's" in this thread that my head is spinning.

Can't we just follow one of BB's favorite lines, "It is what it is," and say that Cassel is having a first playing season that stacks up very favorably, so far, in relation to TB's first playing season, but that each played/is playing with a unique set of advantages or disadvantages that makes it hard to compare them exactly?

And speaking of "woulda, coulda, mightof's," I'm trying to imagine what our record "woulda" been with a healthy TB. The Miami loss was a wildcard (pun intended) and might have gone either way, but otherwise I have a hard time seeing us losing any one of the three games to the Chargers, Jests or Dolts, with or without Rodney and/or Maroney. Any opinions?

Are you downright sick of the Cassel/Brady talk already?

I am, I wanted to see a consensus of how many of you are honestly contemplating who should be our full time starter next year.

This is getting ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back