PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Offense Is Awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have a running game: Dillon, Maroney, Faulk and COBBS! We have three TE receivers (even without Graham). The OL did great except for Gorin's penalty. We have a backup QB.

With all of that, I guess any wide recievers can look good. None did.

BOTTOM LINE: All we need are a couple of wide receivers, and Troy is definitely one. The offense is ready for the season.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
We have a running game: Dillon, Maroney, Faulk and COBBS! We have three TE receivers (even without Graham). The OL did great except for Gorin's penalty. We have a backup QB.

BOTTOM LINE: All we need are a couple of wide receivers, and Troy is definitely one. The offense is ready for the season.
Agree, but one of them (TE's) is going to have to learn to block if Gorin fills in at LT again.

Last edited:
jczxohn1 said:
Agree, but one of them (TE's) is going to have to learn to block if Gorin fills in at LT again.

Gorin sucked. I really hope he somehow gets played out of even a backup role, much less a starting job.

I agree that the offense has a lot of weapons even without good WRs. But I still think we need some good WRs. Hopefully Branch will wake up some morning soon and realize he has been delusional and come to his senses. Hopefully Chad Jackson will get into training camp in the next couple of days, learn the offense at least a bit, and have a Terry Glenn type rookie year. Hopefully Reche will be as good as he has looked in practice and not as bad as he looked when he couldn't hold the quick slant at the goal line from Brady. If all that happens, we will have a superb offense. If not of it happens we will have a good, not great offense.

It was nice to see a Cobbs in the backfield actually produce some good things tonight. Pats certainly have the five yards behind and ten yards in front of the line of scrimmage covered with all the Tight Ends and backs they can send out. Now they just need some fast skinny guys out on the edges that can stretch the field. Hopefully one will decide to show up at some point this pre-season.

Gorin is a low point and that jerk we call a #1 WR is a problem too. But if everything clicks, yeah, it should be quite the sight to watch. And the running game tonight was without Koppen.

BelichickFan said:
Gorin is a low point and that jerk we call a #1 WR is a problem too. But if everything clicks, yeah, it should be quite the sight to watch. And the running game tonight was without Koppen.
I hope Kaczur will be back soon to take Gory's job away from him. Option 2 would be to move Mankins to RT and play Hochstein at LG.

Last edited:
PromisedLand said:
I hope Kaczur will be back soon to take Gory's job away from him. Option 2 would be to move Mankins to RT and play Hochstein at LG.

Mankins is a fixture at RG for the next 10 years.

Getting Light and Kaczur on the field together will solve our Gorin problem. Plus, there's reason to hope that O'Callaghan will hop Gorin on the depth chart, eventually.

But, to me, that is really the only major concern on this O. We have a legitimate hope of being the #1 offensive unit this year, right up there with the Kansas City's, the Indy's... all the best, most explosive scoring teams.

The WR corp didn't look great with the guy who should be our #3 receiver playing the role of our #1... and not looking too good. But Branch and Jackson will be the real core of that unit, and Troy was held out.

If for some reason those guys cant come to bat for us, then I'd like to see how well opposing defenses matchup against a formation with Moroney, Graham, Watson, Thomas and Mills as our five skill players. On paper that looks like a short yardage unit, but those are all demonstrated dangerous players in the passing game, too. The mismatches that lineup creates for opposing teams will allow us to run or pass based on the personnel that the D has on the field (= you choose how you want us to beat you).

Generally, for a 4-3 team with a four man rush, one LB will cover Moroney, another will cover Graham. If Watson draws the double team from a LB and SS, then that leaves a DB on Thomas and a DB on Mills in single coverage.
This is where the BB/SP drafting magic kicks in. Those guys both have sticky hands, the speed and size to run over their defender. Not to mention, Moroney can probably beat a single LB, and we've got Brady reading the D and distributing the ball. The O could break a play for a touchdown at any time.

And that's if the D is playing to stop the pass. If they bring in an extra LB for a CB, to stop the power run, either Thomas or Mills is going to have a mismatch in coverage as a matter of pure speed and coverage. That's a situation where Tom can split a ball over the top for a big gainer.

Now, if you bring Branch and Jackson onto the field, you bring an even deeper threat into the equation, which should soften things up for the running game, and short passing, to move the ball.

I think we're going to score a ton of points this year. My only concern is whether we can keep points off the board... especially for a team with a balanced pass/run attack, where we cant cheat our S towards one or the other. We need Rodney and Tedy back, healthy and whole, and then this could be the best Patriots team I've ever witnessed.

QB: A-, elite talent, but depth needed
RB: A, the best Pats RB unit ever
WR: C, high upside, but too many questions
TE: A, four starting quality players
OT: B, talent and depth, but lacks consistency
OG: A-, Mankins and Neal are awesome
OC: A-, Hochstein is good, Koppen is better
NT: B+, young and strong, but depth is unproven
DE: A-, best in the league when Seymour is healthy
OLB: B+, Mincey and Woods answered questions, Vrabel and Colvin are elite
ILB: D, other than Bruschi, we have zilch. Bring on Paul Posluzny!
CB: C, Hobbs seems like our best player, Samuel is hot and cold
S: C, doesn't bring instinctive physical play without Harrison

Harrison and Bruschi should be enough to galvanize the D, if they can stay on the field for the season-- but I miss having Phifer, TJ, McGinest, Washington and Law on the depth chart.

And that feeling that the D can make a stop whenever they need to, or stop the Colts on the 1 yard line on four consecutive downs-- those days are gone. I suspect our new strategy will be to get a quick 21 point lead and end the game early.

I agree that Mankins won't be moving from his LEFT GUARD position anytime soon.

I agree that there is an issue at OT depth. Kaycur and O'Callaghan should take care of that. Did Britt play?

I agree with your offensive scorecard, and all this without Branch, Brown, Jackson, Koppen and Kaycur.

I see no need for more than four wide receivers, unless we pick up a free agent. Mills was a pleasant surprise, looking as a real player should look like when playing against scrubs. He stole the show (as did Cobbs).

rookBoston said:
Mankins is a fixture at RG for the next 10 years.

Getting Light and Kaczur on the field together will solve our Gorin problem. Plus, there's reason to hope that O'Callaghan will hop Gorin on the depth chart, eventually.

But, to me, that is really the only major concern on this O. We have a legitimate hope of being the #1 offensive unit this year, right up there with the Kansas City's, the Indy's... all the best, most explosive scoring teams.

The WR corp didn't look great with the guy who should be our #3 receiver playing the role of our #1... and not looking too good. But Branch and Jackson will be the real core of that unit, and Troy was held out.

If for some reason those guys cant come to bat for us, then I'd like to see how well opposing defenses matchup against a formation with Moroney, Graham, Watson, Thomas and Mills as our five skill players. On paper that looks like a short yardage unit, but those are all demonstrated dangerous players in the passing game, too. The mismatches that lineup creates for opposing teams will allow us to run or pass based on the personnel that the D has on the field (= you choose how you want us to beat you).

Generally, for a 4-3 team with a four man rush, one LB will cover Moroney, another will cover Graham. If Watson draws the double team from a LB and SS, then that leaves a DB on Thomas and a DB on Mills in single coverage.
This is where the BB/SP drafting magic kicks in. Those guys both have sticky hands, the speed and size to run over their defender. Not to mention, Moroney can probably beat a single LB, and we've got Brady reading the D and distributing the ball. The O could break a play for a touchdown at any time.

And that's if the D is playing to stop the pass. If they bring in an extra LB for a CB, to stop the power run, either Thomas or Mills is going to have a mismatch in coverage as a matter of pure speed and coverage. That's a situation where Tom can split a ball over the top for a big gainer.

Now, if you bring Branch and Jackson onto the field, you bring an even deeper threat into the equation, which should soften things up for the running game, and short passing, to move the ball.

I think we're going to score a ton of points this year. My only concern is whether we can keep points off the board... especially for a team with a balanced pass/run attack, where we cant cheat our S towards one or the other. We need Rodney and Tedy back, healthy and whole, and then this could be the best Patriots team I've ever witnessed.

QB: A-, elite talent, but depth needed
RB: A, the best Pats RB unit ever
WR: C, high upside, but too many questions
TE: A, four starting quality players
OT: B, talent and depth, but lacks consistency
OG: A-, Mankins and Neal are awesome
OC: A-, Hochstein is good, Koppen is better
NT: B+, young and strong, but depth is unproven
DE: A-, best in the league when Seymour is healthy
OLB: B+, Mincey and Woods answered questions, Vrabel and Colvin are elite
ILB: D, other than Bruschi, we have zilch. Bring on Paul Posluzny!
CB: C, Hobbs seems like our best player, Samuel is hot and cold
S: C, doesn't bring instinctive physical play without Harrison

Harrison and Bruschi should be enough to galvanize the D, if they can stay on the field for the season-- but I miss having Phifer, TJ, McGinest, Washington and Law on the depth chart.

And that feeling that the D can make a stop whenever they need to, or stop the Colts on the 1 yard line on four consecutive downs-- those days are gone. I suspect our new strategy will be to get a quick 21 point lead and end the game early.

mgteich said:

Yah, this awesome offense kept scoring TD after TD against the weakest run D in the NFL. I too like most of the personnell but let's see this awesome offense push the ball across the goal line against strong opposition before we crown the paper tiger as a real one.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Yah, this awesome offense kept scoring TD after TD against the weakest run D in the NFL. I too like most of the personnell but let's see this awesome offense push the ball across the goal line against strong opposition before we crown the paper tiger as a real one.

Say what you want, but the guys who did well against the Falcons had zero, zip experience against pros. So basically, they were showing what they could do for the first time EVER in the NFL, and Maroney for instance, did it against Atlanta's first team defense. All things being even, our offensive ROOKIES did some very nice things against some guys who have a lot of experience. Mills, Cobbs & Thomas did some nice things on receptions, despite Atlanta's poor RUN defense. I agree, let's not get too excited, it's the first preseason game. But the new guys did show some nice signs that Brady will have more weapons to play with, and if we EVER get Branch AND Jackson on the field together, this could indeed be our best offense EVER.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Yah, this awesome offense kept scoring TD after TD against the weakest run D in the NFL.
And Brady only played the first series. What's your point ?

My point was that the 'awesome' offense did not produce results, even against the worst run D. The lack of performance shows that the appelation is unfounded.

Maroney looked very promising. He was fast and tough, broke a few tackles. I think he's gonna be the real deal. Dillon looked tough running up the middle.

Mills... wow ok I think we have something here. This guy can certainly causes mismatches as our version of "keith byars" coming out of the backfield.

Watson looked fast and I think he will have a very good season for us.

Cassell showed that he could play. He's not quite at the level of Brady of course but he drove the team several times to several key scores including the last Pats score to tie the game at 23.

The only concern on offense was the play of the wide receivers which was uninspiring.

Who is this Cobbs guy by the way? He looked like a playmaker out there.

Bring back The Freak!

Roman, you teams needs you!

Bring back The Freak!

Roman, your team needs you!

Re: My Thoughts

I went back after sleeping on the gsame and checked the box score.

Matt Cassel was 13/26 for 229 yds, 1TD, 0 INTs for a 93.3 rating. Who says we don't have a qualified BACKUP QB?

Not bad for playing with no WRs.

The Defense accumulalated 3 sacks, Woods, TBC and Vrabel had one each. Projected over a season, that is 48 sacks, a very good number. We have a pass rush even with the reserves.

I suspect TBC has as high a sack ratio as any of our LBs per snap played.

The Offense rushed fro 152 yards and a 5.3 YPC. Outstanding!

But the Defense yielded 192 yards rushing for a 5,9 ypc average. Poor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes