PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The NFL's 10 greatest QB rivalries of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have made Unitas Starr #1 with Staubach/ Bradshaw #3, they didn't play eah other enough. Unitas Starr was twice a year for first place cack when there was 1 palyoff game, the NFL championship.

I might have included Lamonica/Dawson for the AFL days there.

Only John Elway vs. Bernie Kosar strikes a sour note woth me, the others make sense.

Namath vs. Kolber didn't make it???

smg93 said:
Namath vs. Kolber didn't make it???
:rofl: Speaking of Namath, the rivalry of Johnny Unitas vs. Joe Namath was a real stretch since they probably only played once, in SBIII, and an over the hill Unitas didn't come in until the second half. I like that they recognized Otto Graham vs. Bobby Layne, showing interest in the history of the game, but then, where's Sammy Baugh/Sid Luckman? The Brady/Manning picture, Peyton must have had his high heels on already. I didn't think he was that much taller than Tom.

Fanfrom1960 said:
:rofl: Speaking of Namath, the rivalry of Johnny Unitas vs. Joe Namath was a real stretch since they probably only played once, in SBIII, and an over the hill Unitas didn't come in until the second half. I like that they recognized Otto Graham vs. Bobby Layne, showing interest in the history of the game, but then, where's Sammy Baugh/Sid Luckman? The Brady/Manning picture, Peyton must have had his high heels on already. I didn't think he was that much taller than Tom.

Any historical perspective is welcomed by me. It is too bad most football fans think football began with the superbowl.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Any historical perspective is welcomed by me. It is too bad most football fans think football began with the superbowl.
Or Super Bowl XXXVI, which of course was one of the top 3!

Fanfrom1960 said:

They didn't meet often, but didn't you see them mention Namath throwing for 496 yds. and six touchdowns? I know Unitas threw for over 400 yds. that game also, because I saw it.

That game was unbelievable, like the Bird vs. Dominique Williams game where they both went over 50.

Correction, Unitas threw for almost 400 yds.

Fanfrom1960 said:

I agree that Unitas Namath rivalry was a fake.

They were in separate leagues and didn't play each other.

Bart Starr vs John Unitas was much more a competition.

Baugh/Luckman should be there as well.

Namath had much more problems with the Raider's Lamonica and KC's QB Len Dawson

AzPatsFan said:
I agree that Unitas Namath rivalry was a fake.

They were in separate leagues and didn't play each other.

Bart Starr vs John Unitas was much more a competition.

Baugh/Luckman should be there as well.

Namath had much more problems with the Raider's Lamonica and KC's QB Len Dawson
Good points I would have put Lamonica\Dawson and Baugh /Luckman over Unitas/Namath and Elway/Kosar. Other then that I like the list.

So Romo vs. Bledsoe didn't crack the top ten??

i like that historical view

RayClay said:
They didn't meet often, but didn't you see them mention Namath throwing for 496 yds. and six touchdowns? I know Unitas threw for over 400 yds. that game also, because I saw it.
That game was unbelievable, like the Bird vs. Dominique Williams game where they both went over 50.
Correction, Unitas threw for almost 400 yds.
namath was as fine a QB as i saw. his knees were horrible, and he was not as good a passer as he might have ebeen, but he was lethal in 4th qtrs. remember, these QBs called close to 100% of their own plays.
daryl lamonica vs. len dawson was a tremendous rivalry in the 1960s.
y.a. tittle vs sonny jurgensen was a;lso outstanding.

What about Billie Joe Hobert vs. Randall Cunningham?

Patriotic said:
So Romo vs. Bledsoe didn't crack the top ten??

I understand this is a joke, but it means opposing QBs facing one another. I.e. Brady vs. Manning, Marino vs. Kelly.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
I understand this is a joke, but it means opposing QBs facing one another. I.e. Brady vs. Manning, Marino vs. Kelly.
thanks for clearing that up.

I thought you meant quarterbacks who were father and son like Archie Manning vs. Peyton Manning.. I was just going to seriously type that in as an answer but you stopped me.

god bless you. And god Bless Daunte Culpepper.

Aqua4Ever04 said:

Thanks for the edification. Just yesterday, I thought quarterback meant receiving change. I need to listen more to Danny Marino to get to his football IQ.

Keegs said:
thanks for clearing that up.

I thought you meant quarterbacks who were father and son like Archie Manning vs. Peyton Manning.. I was just going to seriously type that in as an answer but you stopped me.

god bless you. And god Bless Daunte Culpepper.

I sense the sarcasm as you are laying it on pretty thick here. God bless Daunte is right. I can't wait till he's healthy for the 2007 season.

Patriotic said:
Thanks for the edification. Just yesterday, I thought quarterback meant receiving change. I need to listen more to Danny Marino to get to his football IQ.

We could all learn from the greatest quarteback ever. The man is a legend!

John Brodie vs Roman Gabriel was a fun one twice a year out west. I cant believe nobody here mentioned Brady vs Bledsoe. 2002 and 2003 that buildup was ridiculous.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
We could all learn from the greatest quarteback never to win a superbowl. The man is a legend of the regular season, just like Peyton Manning!

Hey, Aqua..I went ahead and fixed your post for you. Now, i expect your proofreading to be a little better in the future so I don't have to do this everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes