PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All time Draft sign up

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A few of us have talked about this for a while now. And I got the itch looking at the Pats all-time list of positions.

Need 12-15 posters to draft players for any era to fill out a roster. Let's call it 60 all together with ST.

I figure 3-4 days, 20 rounds a day. No shortage of players and we'll have notice to prep for draft. So we have a good idea of what each person wants to do. Very similar to FF. Make a cheat sheet and you'll be fine.

After we have our teams we can let other posters pick the best team(s)

I've always wanted to do it. I know a few others have too. We had a good 8-10 posters that signed up before but I forgot the names.

1) BGC
2 Pape
3 PaulR
4 Boomer
5 Everlong
6 Captain Stone
7 Dingleballs

Last edited:
We'll obviously hammer out details but I think we start on a Thursday or Friday and go into the weekend. Maybe 30 minutes between picks. Again 15-20 rounds per day shouldnt be hard. W/e the case we'll make sure everyone has some time when we pick.

I know we had like 8-10 people from my thread. Any interest?

Depending on dates/times I would be interested

All NFL or All New England draft picks ? Sounds interesting... Let me know the details

All NFL or All New England draft picks ? Sounds interesting... Let me know the details
Glad you asked. All NFL, any era. I think we can use two sets of criteria.

1)Best overall roster, collection of talent that seemingly could play together. Offensive guys all fit together. Multiple defense or personnel that resembles a real odd or even look.

2)The NFL is broken up into 3 different eras or we you want to call it.

70-77 - OL'm couldn't use their hands or extend their arms until 78. Football was in its early form.

78-03 - very little difference in passing between the start and end of this era.

04-present - Explosion of talent, some innovation and lots of manufacturing points from the NFL.

So be able to field a team that could play in any era. Whether you have one QB for modern play and another for back in the day. You can decide but I think you should be able to field a team that could win in the 70's or 2010's.

So you're team would look exactly like a roster just more talented. QB1, QB2, QB3 if you want. Kicker. Nickel, zone, under/over front. Again you decide and give a simple explanation of what you're doing on doing on each side. List your starters. Ex: Air Raid on offense blah blah. 34 Under blah blah. Nothing fancy. Rosters will speak for themselves.

Count me in

I'd be interested. Strategy will be interesting.

Snake draft?

Trades?

I'd be interested. Strategy will be interesting.

Snake draft?
I'd vote yes on that.
I was thinking 1 or 2 trades to keep things moving as fast as possible. Or maybe no trades after the first 5 rounds? I'm open but think less would be better but I definitely want at least one trade as an option.

I'd vote yes on that.

I was thinking 1 or 2 trades to keep things moving as fast as possible. Or maybe no trades after the first 5 rounds? I'm open but think less would be better but I definitely want at least one trade as an option.

I definitely think there should be a limit so we don't end up with the DW Toys Tradearama. :rofl:

I think you should run it with 6-8 people, I doubt you will get more, that’s what got it off track last year. I’m definitely in as I have been doing some Research into where the biggest drop off at each position is. Like how important is it to get Anthony Munuz versus jonathon Ogden? Barry sanders is great but I’d still be pretty happy with Terrell Davis or Erik ****erson. Then there is the type of player and team building considerations. Like I know exactly what kind of secondary I want and the guys I would choose are not necessarily the best individual players but all excel at the role I would ask of them. It would be really interesting to see how drafting styles would affect the construction of teams. Do you go for a heavy ground and pound which IMO works across eras, or go for a spread offense drafting from the deep group of WRs matching todays high scoring? Maybe have a round Robin style tournament where you get to put together a one or two paragraph game plan and the other 4-6 players vote who would win Based on matchups. 2 losses you are out of the tournament.

3 days/20 rounds per day is somewhat long. I think a 1 day/draft starters (11 O, 11 D, 1 kicker, 1 punter) would work better and will be more interesting as you will really have to determine beforehand what type of system you want to run on both O and D.

I think you should run it with 6-8 people, I doubt you will get more, that’s what got it off track last year. I’m definitely in as I have been doing some Research into where the biggest drop off at each position is. Like how important is it to get Anthony Munuz versus jonathon Ogden? Barry sanders is great but I’d still be pretty happy with Terrell Davis or Erik ****erson. Then there is the type of player and team building considerations. Like I know exactly what kind of secondary I want and the guys I would choose are not necessarily the best individual players but all excel at the role I would ask of them. It would be really interesting to see how drafting styles would affect the construction of teams. Do you go for a heavy ground and pound which IMO works across eras, or go for a spread offense drafting from the deep group of WRs matching todays high scoring? Maybe have a round Robin style tournament where you get to put together a one or two paragraph game plan and the other 4-6 players vote who would win Based on matchups. 2 losses you are out of the tournament.
Man I was searching my thread to find out who was in and I remember you were.

@captain stone

@patsfanfromoversea ?

I'd like at least 10 but yea I thought a few more would be up for it.

3 days/20 rounds per day is somewhat long. I think a 1 day/draft starters (11 O, 11 D, 1 kicker, 1 punter) would work better and will be more interesting as you will really have to determine beforehand what type of system you want to run on both O and D.
I like the idea of "roster" but get its a lot. I would be interested in this though.

Man I was searching my thread to find out who was in and I remember you were.

@captain stone

@patsfanfromoversea ?

I'd like at least 10 but yea I thought a few more would be up for it.
I Personally love the idea and makeup of the Contest but unfortunately i Will Be taking a break (already started it) because of Job and work at Home...
I wolle be up for it during the Football season 4 sure but if you Start one earlier i hope you guys enjoy it

What about a compromise of 15 for some type of bench/depth?

I like the 2 day idea though. I really don't think it would be long at all considering the talent available. And we can have a cap off on the picks, like 10-20 mins. I think it would go quick.

What about a compromise of 15 for some type of bench/depth?

I like the 2 day idea though. I really don't think it would be long at all considering the talent available. And we can have a cap off on the picks, like 10-20 mins. I think it would go quick.
I think 14 each side of the ball, plus ST [P, K, PR, KR]. It adds a layer of strategy to it, do you go 3 extra receivers to be able to go 5 wide? Or add a FB and a 2nd TE to go jumbo? Same thing in the secondary or do you add a 2nd NT for goaline?

As for the time limit it could go quick if everyone is on and doing their picks as quickly as they can. If you are just logging on every 10-20 mins though, 32 rounds times 8 players times 20 mins a pick is 85 hours. That's not reasonable to expect someone on and around to make picks. The only way that works is if everyone has at least 640 players ranked and have some sort of auto pick based on those scores. Also not very reasonable. Not sure what the best way to do it would be but anyway you slice it, it's a big time commitment for a fun mental masterbastion exercise.

never done a draft like this... 15 to 20 rounds is an under taking... i have prepped a list of my top 15 to 20 players at most positions, mixing all eras of professional football... but i have no overall ranking of like 1 to 100... think that is deep enough? because after that, im pretty much tossing darts at the wall at player names... skipped a few positions, like i haven't really separated out new designations like "edge" nor have i made a list for special teamers like long snappers, returners, punters or kickers...

qb, lg, lt, c, rg, rt, rb, wr, te, dt/nt, de, lolb, mlb, rolb, cb, ss and fs are what i have targeted...

I think 14 each side of the ball, plus ST [P, K, PR, KR]. It adds a layer of strategy to it, do you go 3 extra receivers to be able to go 5 wide? Or add a FB and a 2nd TE to go jumbo? Same thing in the secondary or do you add a 2nd NT for goaline?
Yup exactly my thinking. Just gives it another layer. You go OL or WR or QB2?
As for the time limit it could go quick if everyone is on and doing their picks as quickly as they can. If you are just logging on every 10-20 mins though, 32 rounds times 8 players times 20 mins a pick is 85 hours. That's not reasonable to expect someone on and around to make picks. The only way that works is if everyone has at least 640 players ranked and have some sort of auto pick based on those scores. Also not very reasonable. Not sure what the best way to do it would be but anyway you slice it, it's a big time commitment for a fun mental masterbastion exercise.
I honestly think it'll go a lot quicker than most would think. Big thing is just getting everyone on here at the same time.
never done a draft like this... 15 to 20 rounds is an under taking... i have prepped a list of my top 15 to 20 players at most positions, mixing all eras of professional football... but i have no overall ranking of like 1 to 100... think that is deep enough? because after that, im pretty much tossing darts at the wall at player names... skipped a few positions, like i haven't really separated out new designations like "edge" nor have i made a list for special teamers like long snappers, returners, punters or kickers...

qb, lg, lt, c, rg, rt, rb, wr, te, dt/nt, de, lolb, mlb, rolb, cb, ss and fs are what i have targeted...
Truthfully I probably won't be picking many old timers. Just guys that would succeed in any era.

I wonder what the criteria for judging is. There’s a lot of hall of fame players who are lighter, not as muscular, etc.. from the previous eras.

My line of thinking is that if your good enough to be a hall of famer that if you played these days you’d be doing the same type of weight training, diet, etc that players do now, and your skill set would still be that of a hall of famer

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back