PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Morning After Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No pass rush, poor secondary, fair/poor offensive line, no standout third receiver= no rings, but...

We're going to be in the playoffs and anything can and does happen. All we need to do is look at Arizona last year.

5 games is a long time in the NFL. Look at where the Titans have gone.

Don't jump yet.

Last edited:
S.C.JONES....
"Coaching.......BB has been pathetic. He looks bewildered out there like Bobby Bowden right now. His decisions on having basically NO COORDINATORS has been an abysmal failure. We have done NOTHING since we had two seasoned,veteran offensive/defensive coordinators in there.....I think Kraft needs to sit down with BB on this one.......these makeshift coordinators are not getting it done. Again, because of poor drafting and FA signings of inadequate secondary players the coord can only do so much........but this is downright embarrassing"

Yes, hes taken on to much, but i'll think he will evaluate the situation. I was thinking over the past few weeks that its getting to be like Cleveland he tries to do it all. He needs to come to the conclusion that he needs some good coordinaters to run the offense and defense. That being said Pees and only work with what he has, and he doesn't have any pass rushers which is BB's fault. O'Brien on the other hand can't say the same thing. It seemed that N.O. new what to expect from the offense.

Last edited:
in thinking our offseason has come back to bite us, we are competitive which is all you can ask for year in year out, but check this out:

Percy Harvin- Looks like he could be OROTY, Brad Childress said the patriots expected the Viks to pass and were gonna pick him... and even though we made fun of him at the time, it looks like he was telling the truth.

Not getting Jason Taylor

Bodden/Springs- are okay, but I'm dissapointed

Galloway/Lewis- neither worked out

We have no 3rd option on offense and the saints exposed that, and our D can't rush the passer, and is only okay in coverage. I agree with what most in this topic are saying, we'll be in the playoffs but can't beat elite competition.

The offseason now just looks puzzling

Draft
---------
Butler aside, why did not we go for a Cushing or Sintim or English or even Barwin
Chung - good but too high
Brace - WTF is going on there. Getting beaten out by a 5th rounder

Trades
------------
Vrabel - one of the leaders of the D gone
Seymour - ditto
Burgess - BUST - waste of a pick

I have read all of these posts and I disagree with the pass rush aspects.....I agree that our secondary played horribly.....Back to the pass rush if you notice Brees would hit the 3rd or 5th step on his drop and the ball was out......There were only a couple of times he stood back there and had time to look over the field........Our line really didn't have the time to get to Brees......I mean he threw the ball like 3 or 4 times to the back of his receiver with our defender right there and the wr would turn and look for the ball and there it was with the defender still running.......HE DIDN"T HOLD THE BALL.....That is more in part to our secondary not giving our d-line time to get to brees.......I have never seen a secondary so lost out there in my life.....Except for the henderson TD there was a defender close to the wr every time they caught the ball but they were not even thinking about turning around to play the ball......It looked like NFL wr's against a high school secondary....Pitiful.....I don't think burgess played too bad (except that missed tackle on the thomas TD)......he was getting up field and making brees step up in the pocket but our inside rush was NON-EXISTENT.......I don't disagree that we need a pure pass rusher but in this game I don't believe that the d-line had the time and that is the reason we lost like alot of people are saying on here......

The Saints played great football. They have an impressive combination of speed and power, and their coaching is superb.

Brady's long ball is not what it was. Our D is work in progress. And BB is a known quantity. His best ideas are now used by others, and every team has worked hard to develop ways to defend and attack BB teams.

BB needs to bring in some new blood into organization to challenge his thinking, so that he can respond to the way teams respond to the Pats more effectively. I think BB in his own way has become too predictable.

In addition, the Pats also need to overall improve their coaching staff. Missed tackles, ineffective corners, and wide receivers who can't get open are not only the fault of the players. And we need a Josh McDaniels or a Charlie Weis (or even a Rodney Harrison) to light a fire under the ***es of the players and get some inspiration going. A team with BB and Brady at the helm has many strengths, especially in terms of discipline, but the team also needs some inspiration.

I think the Pats have the talent to compete with any team, but I don't think 2001 style football is as effective as it once was.

We have zero pass rush so the secondary is getting creamed every time a good QB drops back to pass. Wilhite seemingly doesn't know how to turn around or tackle, in fact the whole defense can't tackle. The offense is predictable, Brady had no time to throw last night and at times when he did he forced the ball or overthrew receivers. I counted at least 4 passes that Brady whiffed on that Brees would have hit last night, the 2 biggest were Watson over the middle before the half where Brady could have fit the ball in between 2 receivers, and Aiken down the sideline in the 3rd. That interception in the first quarter killed any momentum we had.

We just aren't good enough to compete with the elite teams right now, and New Orleans has proven throughout the year that they are elite.

I would much rather take a good old azz kicking than loseing by a couple of points and have things second guessed all week.

Would prefer a W.. a big W, a close W, an overtime W, a controversial W...makes no difference, last night was tough for this viewer..

Would prefer a W.. a big W, a close W, an overtime W, a controversial W...makes no difference, last night was tough for this viewer..
Thats why when someone asked for anything positive i said that i didn't get to watch the second half.

The morning after the worst beat down in recent memory i no longer feel i have to stess over every "what if" If we did this, or if we made that. Last night proved that this team (especially the pass rush) isn't good enough to realistically compeat for a SB. We'll make it into the playoffs but any thought of being able to beat an elite team was answered last night imo.

The pass rush can't generate enough pressure to dissrupt the opponents passing game, it leaves the DB's hanging.

The O-line problems can be fixed but you can't teach someone to pass rush if they don't have the ability in the first place.

While i think we could beat anyone in the AFC i just don't see us being able to beat N.O. or Minnesota.

This Patriots team has a mediocre defense at best. They just don't have the horses. Could have used Vrable last night, for sure. His pass rushing abilities would have been nice and at least he would be able to tell the youngin's what to do and where to go. Could have used Rodney last night. His attitude could have helped and at least he would be able to tell the young db's what to do and where to go. Obvioulsy, Merriweather and Mayo aren't quite ready for the leadership roles we all so badly want them to own. The only real playmaker the Pats have on defense is Wilfork...and I actually saw him tripled teamed last night. Sigh.....

If this team makes the playoffs....I would be shocked if they won more than one game. They are not good enough folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes