PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 'I misjudged Josh McDaniels" confessional thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is set up for all of you who may want to lighten the burden of guilt that you must be carrying around today.

You dont have to eat crow. You don't have to say you were wrong. Just say you misjudged McDaniels and that guilt that you are carrying today will deminish.

So, have posted "Josh McDaniels sucks as an OC" , " He's over his head", He lacks imagination", that kind of stuff.

Also, for you who said our WR corps is awful. We can't win without Branch. We really needed Randy Moss. You can say that you misjudged that situation on this thread and it will lighten your load too.

I do this for you.:rocker:

He won't do it Nut, but nice try anyway:D

PatsRI said:
He won't do it Nut, but nice try anyway:D

Who is "he"? This is not intended for any one person. There are quite a few who would fit.

This is just a way for them to lessen the guilt.

Okay, I confess that in my frustration I was hard on McDaniels.

McDaniels called an excellent game last night. That gadget screen call was amazing. The game plan (although I'm sure architected by BB) was perfect -- it amazes me that the Vikes never really adjusted. Finally the Pats have the receivers on the smae page so McDaniels can put Brady in his element -- picking apart a defense with the short passing game. Awesome performance all around.

PATSNUTme said:
Who is "he"? This is not intended for any one person. There are quite a few who would fit.

This is just a way for them to lessen the guilt.
If that's your story I'll play along. I just don't think you have a prayer of many taking you up on it;)

Last edited:
sieglo said:
Okay, I confess that in my frustration I was hard on McDaniels.

McDaniels called an excellent game last night. That gadget screen call was amazing. The game plan (although I'm sure architected by BB) was perfect -- it amazes me that the Vikes never really adjusted. Finally the Pats have the receivers on the smae page so McDaniels can put Brady in his element -- picking apart a defense with the short passing game. Awesome performance all around.

There, doesn't that feel better?:rocker:

NEM said:
What's there to confess? He ran MY game plan, did a nice job of it, too. Kudos to him for, finally, seeing the light that I have done my best to instill in his head.

Instead of trying to crack a defenses strength, as he has attempted all season, you atttack their weakness, and you keep doing it sd long as it is working. And, he did. Good job. He is learning.

Lord knows I have done my best to give him the benefit of my vast knowledge and understanding of the game and in my next book, I will be sure to give him his own chapter. :D

He has restored my faith in knowing that it is true, anyone can learn. Way to go Josh.:D
Don't worry NEM, I'm sure he'll ignore all your sage advice next week.

I haven't had a problem with Josh McDaniels. I didn't like that Branch is a Seahawk. I still think he's good. Givens, McGinest, and even Adam Vinatieri are all replaceable.

I didn't like last year's DC that went to HC the Jets. I can't even remember the guy's name. Still, the Jets have a better coach now than Herm Edwards.

PATSNUTme said:
This thread is set up for all of you who may want to lighten the burden of guilt that you must be carrying around today.

You dont have to eat crow. You don't have to say you were wrong. Just say you misjudged McDaniels and that guilt that you are carrying today will deminish.

So, have posted "Josh McDaniels sucks as an OC" , " He's over his head", He lacks imagination", that kind of stuff.

Also, for you who said our WR corps is awful. We can't win without Branch. We really needed Randy Moss. You can say that you misjudged that situation on this thread and it will lighten your load too.

I do this for you.:rocker:

Skippy, the kid called one good game. Let not annoint him the next Weiss.

He has very long way to go.

NEM said:
What's there to confess? He ran MY game plan, did a nice job of it, too. Kudos to him for, finally, seeing the light that I have done my best to instill in his head. .:D

I laughed during the first quarter. I said to myself " Josh is finally reading NEM's posts."

Problem with this thread is it is letting these guys off saying
"well he finally called one good game"

Yeah because he passed 43 times?

Get it straight ... he's been doing a great job all season ....knowing what he
had to work with ... knowing what the strenghts of the defenses he
was facing ... and just calling the best percentage play given the situation.
By the way Brady also had decisions to make at the line.

Was Josh perfect .. of course not ... but this week doesn't mean he made
some kind of quantum leap! He's been good ... period!

NEM give it break ... you're not even in the ball park.

NEM said:
What's there to confess? He ran MY game plan, did a nice job of it, too. Kudos to him for, finally, seeing the light that I have done my best to instill in his head.

Instead of trying to crack a defenses strength, as he has attempted all season, you atttack their weakness, and you keep doing it as long as it is working. And, he did. Good job. He is learning.

Lord knows I have done my best to give him the benefit of my vast knowledge and understanding of the game and in my next book, I will be sure to give him his own chapter. :D

He has restored my faith in knowing that it is true, anyone can learn. Way to go Josh.:D

This will come as a shock, but it's not about you.

JR4 said:
Problem with this thread is it is letting these guys off saying
"well he finally called one good game"

Yeah because he passed 43 times?

Get it straight ... he's been doing a great job all season ....knowing what he
had to work with ... knowing what the strenghts of the defenses he
was facing ... and just calling the best percentage play given the situation.
By the way Brady also had decisions to make at the line.

Was Josh perfect .. of course not ... but this week doesn't mean he made
some kind of quantum leap! He's been good ... period!

NEM give it break ... you're not even in the ball park.

Amen. He's been doing a good job ALL SEASON LONG. He has been working with the parts he was given. The glue to those parts in the WR area are just now starting to take hold. When the only returning WR out of your 6 is Methusaleh Brown, you have to take baby steps until the unit bonds with the QB and playbook.

I'm in a positive mood today. Instead of a thread vilifying those who were wrong about McDaniels, how about a thread about those who were very supportive of him while he dealt with a rough WR personnel situation early on? Fans will be fans. Impatience on a fanboard is a "dog bites man" subject. The more interesting story is of those fans who saw the situation for what it actually was.

NEM said:

He is learning.

Let me get this straight.. You predict the same exact thing week after week, and the one time you actually get it right we're supposed to call you a genius?

If you throw (mud) against the wall repeatedly eventually some of it is going to stick.

I will admit that last night I laughed thinking "NEM will love this, it's his weekly prediction nearly to a T". I can admit that this week you were right.

Now, can you admit that you were wrong for the first six (particularly the Bengals game)?

The simple fact is that McDaniels has been scoring enough to win. Not every game has been 31-7, but that's simply because the WRs were new and the offense was progressing. But the bottom line is that in 6 out of 7 games the OC has scored more than the other team.

He's been doing a great job all year long. He's worked with what he has. And he's worked with what's been needed.

When you were calling for gameplans like this each week through the first six the offense simply wasn't ready yet for that kind of gameplan. Now, quite apparently, they are.

But get this point straight: McDaniels didn't "finally get it right". You did. And I fully expect you to keep it up, keep saying you were right even when you were wrong, until the next time you finally are right and then you'll blow your own horn all over again.

The team is not 1-6. The "NEM gameplan" was not the only win for the season. They're 6-1, so you got it right exactly once out of five other wins.

For this week: Congrats.

NEM said:
Of course it's not, I knew that, because I was the only one that was right. :D

See, he'll never get it. NEM lacks the capacity to see the bigger picture, the patience to set up the next play let alone the next game or the second half of the season. NEM is into instant gratification and overkill. He doesn't think about the consequences of forcing the issue too early and failing.

They couldn't do this a month ago or likely even two weeks ago, much as they would have liked to. They didn't need to do it last week. They did it last night because they could and they decided they also should. They are always thinking two or three moves or games ahead of all the NEMS - of the league or the internet. For them the season is a process and it's all about winning and improving from week to week.

aabtec said:
Skippy, the kid called one good game. Let not annoint him the next Weiss.

He has very long way to go.
Skippy????

Does everybody realize that they're going to use 3 tight ends and run the ball 65% of the time next week?

NEM said:
Actually, it is NOT my weekly prediction to a T. It WAS, however my suggestion for THIS game... In the past, I have never said to abandon the running game in total, merely to be more selective when and where it is used.

Actually, yes you have said it before. The Bengals game is one for certain where you called for the running game to be abandoned. Remember? We've been over how wrong you were about that game several times.

I'd dig out the link to your quotes again (for the sixth or so time), but as has been proven time and again: The facts mean nothing to you. You keep denying you said it even when I link to it. So what's the point?

I have said that on many occasions, depending on the defenses we are playing against, that we need to use the passing game to set up our running game. In this case, however, I said to attack their major weakness, their secondary, fromthe getgo, and use the inside routes, inthe seams, which they did.

And you were right, this time. But you were wrong about the Bengals, and wrong in your judgement of this offense for the first six games. Can you admit it?

However, I have not said that this is the same route they need to take in every game. In fact, in the upcoming Colts game, there should be major differences.

I saw in another thread that you indicated that they should come out in this same look for at least the first quarter or so and get a two TD lead or so before trying to run. What are those major differences?

The offense goes from facing the best run defense in the league to facing one of the worst and you still think we need this Vikings type of offense next week (if for only a quarter or a "TD or two")? Why?

It really wasn't that difficult to figure out how to beat this team.

That must be the reason that this week you finally got it right.

What surprised me was that McDaniels did it and didnt attempt to force feed something else.

Why is it surprising? He's OC'd his way to a 6-1 record and scored at least 20 points in 5 out of 7 contests. I think that surprise you felt was actually just the shock of being right for once. As opposed to that version of right that you try to push everytime you're wrong.

IE: "I'm right, you're wrong, have a nice day."

See? This is what it feels like to actually get it right, NEM. That thing you were doing after the Bengals game? That wasn't it.

Brownfan80 said:
Actually, yes you have said it before. The Bengals game is one for certain where you called for the running game to be abandoned. Remember? We've been over how wrong you were about that game several times.

I'd dig out the link to your quotes again (for the sixth or so time), but as has been proven time and again: The facts mean nothing to you. You keep denying you said it even when I link to it. So what's the point?

And you were right, this time. But you were wrong about the Bengals, and wrong in your judgement of this offense for the first six games. Can you admit it?

I saw in another thread that you indicated that they should come out in this same look for at least the first quarter or so and get a two TD lead or so before trying to run. What are those major differences?

The offense goes from facing the best run defense in the league to facing one of the worst and you still think we need this Vikings type of offense next week (if for only a quarter or a "TD or two")? Why?

That must be the reason that this week you finally got it right.

Why is it surprising? He's OC'd his way to a 6-1 record and scored at least 20 points in 5 out of 7 contests. I think that surprise you felt was actually just the shock of being right for once. As opposed to that version of right that you try to push everytime you're wrong.

IE: "I'm right, you're wrong, have a nice day."

See? This is what it feels like to actually get it right, NEM. That thing you were doing after the Bengals game? That wasn't it.

BF80, I have had experience with people like NEM. He is just like my mother in law. Does no good to reason or bring up facts, it's all about him 100% of the time.

I really knew he would post what he did. And, this thread was not started with him in mind. There are plenty of others who went down that road. Some of them may be rational enough to admit to their misjudgements. NEM will not be one of them.

NEM said:
I........ What surprised me was that McDaniels did it and didnt attempt to force feed something else. .......

You still don't get it ... you probably never will ..... or you just can admit
you are WRONG!

Many of us were NOT surprised by McDaniels and the game plan. You were
because you have NO idea why he, Brady and Belichick have been running the offensive games plans in the previous weeks.

Edit: To Clearify -- many may not have expected an empty back field most of the night --- but we were not surprised
that McDaniels/Belichick/Brady would come up with such a game plan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore