PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Flying Elvis, Is it due to change down the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it Parcells or Orthwein (or both) who ordered the complete uniform and logo change in 1993? Regardless of who made the decision, IMHO time proved it was the correct move and it now symbolizes the Patriots success. Yeah, Elvis and the jerseys were tweaked here and there in its first seven years of existence, but IMHO the current uniforms being used now since 2000 are here to stay for a few decades. Three Super Bowl championships guarantees for it to stay around.

Last edited:
The silvers are ok, but I think I speak for most people on this board in saying it would be alot cooler to see the pats were the old school pat patriot unis instead of the alternates once or twice a year. I am amazed that the team has not used them since the Thanksgiving game a few years back, throwback stuff sells out all the time on the proshop they would sell alot more merchandise in my opinion.

You'd be surprised to know how many people THINK they speak for most people on this board on any number of issues..."rolleyes"

I for one find it annoying in any sport when they make a present day team wear what amounts to an old time costume for a game that actually counts. Good football entertains me, not hokey costume-driven trips down memory lane. Particularly ones that conjure up what can only be categorized as bittersweet memories. While I loved many of the guys who wore those uniforms, I was at least equally disgusted by the incompetent organization they wasted their entire careers representing in those uniforms.

I for one find it annoying in any sport when they make a present day team wear what amounts to an old time costume for a game that actually counts.
If it bothers you then you're not paying enough attention to the "game that actually counts" and paying too much attention to the uniforms. I don't care what they wear as long as they wear something.

i think for the fans, quite many as i see when there are this threads, that loves/preferes Pat Patriot to Flying Elvis it could be enough to use the throwbacks + Pat Patriot on the helmet ONCE A YEAR as the third uniform

i do not think it is 'asking too much'...

this could be a good compromize between 'old' and 'new'

Last edited:
i think for the fans, quite many as i see when there are this threads, that loves/preferes Pat Patriot to Flying Elvis it could be enough to use the throwbacks + Pat Patriot on the helmet ONCE A YEAR as the third uniform

You tend to see this throwback support even when sentiment runs 7 to 1 against it with the balance weighting in anywhere from ambivalent to it's occasional use to just looking to crack logo jokes.

I have no problem with teams pandering to nostalgia during the exhibition season if they feel some need to. But this is the team that deserves to be remembered and honored for what it has and will likely yet accomplish. You can respect and honor those who came before it WHO DESERVE IT without donning a characture and colors that denote a whole lot more - and much of it negative.

Why even think in terms of compromise? The drastic change in uniforms was for a reason, and that was to break with a very long, miserable, LOSING tradition. You can't get away from the fact of what those red uniforms represented, plus how dated the logo had become and how wrong/historically inaccurate the color scheme was to begin with. There was little if any true glory enjoyed in those old uniforms, mostly a bumbling, inept franchise whose image was a very much of-its-time cartoon character whose style screams "1960s" journalistic cartoon art.

It's amazing how many highlight films you see from the NFL archives that show other teams killing the Patriots in those old red uniforms. It's impossible to separate that image from the reality of the futility experienced during those years. That hideous past is gone, leave it dead and buried where it belongs. Please.

Last edited:
I don't care what they wear as long as they wear something.
There you go, how is the NFL going to make more inroads into the female fan market if the beefcake isn't in the display window? This could be the breakthrough trend that reverses Title Nine forcing the NCAA to insist on equal time for men's sports.

How do you feel about our current logo? - I think it won't be too long in the next few years ahead where we change the logo/helmet since we have redone the Jersey design a few times already in the past 13 years.

Do you like the Flying Elvis? - The Pat Patriot better? - or maybe The vintage Patriot hat logo from the very early Boston Patriot years?

And which type of design would you like to see Kraft and his designers change it to and any additional colors or changes to the current one?

I would say by 2010 we have some new type uniforms/helmet designs - Hopefully none god awful like what the Broncos did years ago :eek: .
The uniform may change, but the logo/helmet is here to stay for a lo-o-ong time. (a) Teams changing their logo is a rarity. (b) Elvis is modern, eliminating perhaps the biggest reason for change (old, stale logos). (c) It's been with us through the dynasty, eliminating perhaps the other reason that logos are changed (constant losing).

i really hope they keep the flying elvis
i mean, if they changed it id have a whole nother logo to learn how to draw free hand (i learned how to draw the logo one night when i was in seventh grade...which was the 96 season)
no idea how to draw the pat the patriot logo

Hardly the motto for a Patriots fan. We should always be looking to improve our team, via trade, free agency, the draft, or graphic design.

LMAO. Well stated.

Personally, I love the current logo. I would like to see the old unis once or twice a season as a throwback, but only because I like the concept of throwback jerseys. If that isn't possible, I'd like a red alternate jersey, and I'll go ahead and throw up a concept I've posted a couple of times before for this idea, a blend of the past and present:

PatsConcept.jpg

This is an intriguing idea for alternates. Are the helmets white, or are they silver? White with the flying Elivs might look kind of cool.

I don't mind the flying elvis altho i preferred the 90's iteration of the unis (with the soccer style fronts and ital numbers) -- they were very unique.

I think the silver jersey's are an abomination and should be swapped out with a brick red jersey in either the current or throwback style. i think the Giants' red jersey's are really sharp.

My largest gripe is how the cheerleaders are outfitted. on a good day, their outfits look like a bad vegas floor show. on the worst day, they are head-to-toe in foul-weather gear.

I think they desperately need to adopt something more sporty for nice weather (think the Texans cheerleaders) and something collegiate for colder weather (think USC - tight, wool turtleneck sweaters and pleated skirts). if it's real cold they can wear knit hats and mittens. this is a cute look that is far more appealing than parkas and snow pants.

How do you feel about our current logo? - I think it won't be too long in the next few years ahead where we change the logo/helmet since we have redone the Jersey design a few times already in the past 13 years.

Do you like the Flying Elvis? - The Pat Patriot better? - or maybe The vintage Patriot hat logo from the very early Boston Patriot years?

And which type of design would you like to see Kraft and his designers change it to and any additional colors or changes to the current one?

I would say by 2010 we have some new type uniforms/helmet designs - Hopefully none god awful like what the Broncos did years ago :eek: .

I like the Flying Elvis as they call it....It is now synonymous with the era of the "DYNASTY"......unfortuneatly, the old Pat Patriot reminds me of the past....and all the frustration, the sadness, and the pain of watching losing season after losing season....Nope...I don't think you'll see any changes anytime soon......GO PATS!

This is an intriguing idea for alternates. Are the helmets white, or are they silver? White with the flying Elivs might look kind of cool.

White helmets.

patriotspride said:
where are the grey pants?

No grey pants. It's an alt, so I'd probably go with the white pants.

I love the uniforms as they are now. No changes need be made.

The uniforms will eventually be tweaked, and then change. That's sports. As for the logo, I think it's here to stay for quite some time. Sports are a business, and part of a business is establishing brand identity. The Patriots finally have brand identity. People see this:

you must have some marketing background

I think you have to stick wtih the uniforms that were worn during the Super Bowl wins.

Of course, they will probably have new jerseys just to make more money though.

I don't mind the flying elvis altho i preferred the 90's iteration of the unis (with the soccer style fronts and ital numbers) -- they were very unique.

Those had to be the worst uni's in the history of the NFL. No italics on the numbers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick