PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "FAVRE - he's really coming baaack only not in GB" post

Status
Not open for further replies.
2cfy3yg.png

The Packers are in "serious talks" about a trade that would send Brett Favre to the Jets, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette.
This would be the Packers' ideal landing spot for Favre. Favre's agent, Bus Cook, has conversed with the Jets, indicating his client does have interest in playing for them. An impending trade could be the reason commissioner Roger Goodell has refused to reinstate Favre to this point. Allowing Favre to practice could've crippled the Packers' team chemistry. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
2cfy3yg.png

The Packers are in "serious talks" about a trade that would send Brett Favre to the Jets, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette.
This would be the Packers' ideal landing spot for Favre. Favre's agent, Bus Cook, has conversed with the Jets, indicating his client does have interest in playing for them. An impending trade could be the reason commissioner Roger Goodell has refused to reinstate Favre to this point. Allowing Favre to practice could've crippled the Packers' team chemistry. Stay tuned.

Well then Espn will get its next wish, praising how Farve and the Jets will take down the pats..

Well then Espn will get its next wish, praising how Farve and the Jets will take down the pats..

Oh lord....here we go.....FarveGate has come into the lime light. I can only imagine what the talking heads will discuss tomorrow.

I am sure it will be journalistic excellence!

god I hope he goes to the jets

2cfy3yg.png

Guess again..........
FAVRE-TO-JETS REPORT OVERSTATED?

Posted by Mike Florio on July 31, 2008, 11:20 p.m. EDT
Contrary to a report from the Green Bay Press-Gazette suggesting that quartberack Brett Favre could soon be traded by the Packers to the Jets, Dan Leberfeld of Scout.com reports that a deal isn’t close.
That is not the case,” a source told Leberfeld in response to the Press-Gazette declaration that the Packers and Jets are in “serious talks.”
Our guess is that the Packers are floating the notion that they’re in serious talks with the Jets either to leverage any team to which the Jets might actually be talking, or to spark bidding on an auction for Favre’s services.

I keep saying it, this move is perfect. We can give him an easy +6 to monumental interception legacy.

Guess again..........
FAVRE-TO-JETS REPORT OVERSTATED?

Posted by Mike Florio on July 31, 2008, 11:20 p.m. EDT
Contrary to a report from the Green Bay Press-Gazette suggesting that quartberack Brett Favre could soon be traded by the Packers to the Jets, Dan Leberfeld of Scout.com reports that a deal isn’t close.
That is not the case,” a source told Leberfeld in response to the Press-Gazette declaration that the Packers and Jets are in “serious talks.”
Our guess is that the Packers are floating the notion that they’re in serious talks with the Jets either to leverage any team to which the Jets might actually be talking, or to spark bidding on an auction for Favre’s services.

A deal being close and being in discussions are two different things. I also like the two words bolded near the bottom

Good for the Jets. That means they will actually get a competent coach in 2009 after Mangini is fired after the season for not sniffing the playoffs eventhough the Jets took the Daniel Snyder approach of building a champion.

Sorry, I still don't see the Jets as that good of a team and I am still not convinced that Favre's performance last year was a perfect storm of everything coming together for the Packers. If Favre didn't have the year he had last year, Packers fans would be happily backing Thompson to trade him after his 2005 and 2006 season. The lack of chemistry with the Jets receivers and a different offense is going make Favre to work that much harder to repeat his 2007 performance.

With Favre, I still think the Jets are probably an 8-8 or 9-7 team at best.

Good for the Jets. That means they will actually get a competent coach in 2009 after Mangini is fired after the season for not sniffing the playoffs eventhough the Jets took the Daniel Snyder approach of building a champion.

Sorry, I still don't see the Jets as that good of a team and I am still not convinced that Favre's performance last year was a perfect storm of everything coming together for the Packers. If Favre didn't have the year he had last year, Packers fans would be happily backing Thompson to trade him after his 2005 and 2006 season. The lack of chemistry with the Jets receivers and a different offense is going make Favre to work that much harder to repeat his 2007 performance.

With Favre, I still think the Jets are probably an 8-8 or 9-7 team at best.
This line irritates me to no degree how ignorant people are. This was a team last year with a lot of holes and 30 plus mil in free money, its as if people wanted the Jets to do nothing and continue to march on with mediocre talent. they traded not signed Traded for Kris Jenkins to fill the NT role, they signed Pace, Woody and Faneca to start for them. Two of those guys got big deals, one got an above average one. I wonder if everyone wanted us to fill every hole with draft picks and C level FA's. Did you guys take a Dan Snyder approach last year?

Last edited:
This line irritates me to no degree how ignorant people are. This was a team last year with a lot of holes and 30 plus mil in free money, its as if people wanted the Jets to do nothing and continue to march on with mediocre talent. they traded not signed Traded for Kris Jenkins to fill the NT role, they signed Pace, Woody and Faneca to start for them. Two of those guys got big deals, one got an above average one. I wonder if everyone wanted us to fill every hole with draft picks and C level FA's. Did you guys take a Dan Snyder approach last year?

They made a lot of moves for big names who are either once great players on the downside of their career (Woody, Jenkins, and Faneca) or one year wonders (Pace). All of them got long term deals. Woody's deal of $5 million a year to play a position that he has played 5 games his entire career is just ludicrious. The Jets spent a ton of money to get these players. Sounds like the Daniel Snyder model to me. How exactly is it not like the Snyder model?

No the Pats didn't take the Daniel Snyder approach last year other than with Adaleius Thomas (by the way, he had three seasons with Baltimore he had 28 sacks and got the same type of contract the one year wonder Calvin Pace got this year). They took a low risk, high reward move with Randy Moss. They gave a glorified one year deal with Donte Stallworth and Kelley Washington. They traded for a guy who fit their system perfectly in Wes Welker. The Pats did not take the Snyder approach at all. It is also nothing like what the Jets did this year.

Hating yourself for your ignorance is really sad. I am sorry for you. Before you call people ignorant, you should stop being ignorant yourself.

Last edited:

the jets are desparate to win now can you admit that? you guys gave pace a monster contract in which his career year was 6 sacks which also happened to be in a contract year, another huge deal to an old guard who has 2 good years left. The Patriots dont deal like that so no we didnt take the snyder appraoch. Manginas head coaching tenure with the jets will slowly fade away game by game next season.

They made a lot of moves for big names who are either once great players on the downside of their career (Woody, Jenkins, and Faneca) or one year wonders (Pace). All of them got long term deals. Woody's deal of $5 million a year to play a position that he has played 5 games his entire career is just ludicrious. The Jets spent a ton of money to get these players. Sounds like the Daniel Snyder model to me. How exactly is it not like the Snyder model?

Jenkins is 29 and beasting in training camp. He has been injury free the lst two years and is already in good football shape. Good NT's can play forever and if he fills that void which I would bet money at this point that he does then it was a great move. NT makes the whole 3-4 D work, if he can be what I envision that means you got the most important piece to go along with several very talented young players on defense. 5 mil to Woody, overpay yes, big deal = no. Someone will have to explain to me how a 5 for 25 deal is going to cripple our cap as I have heard countless times. Faneca still is a top 5 guard, if he can provide great play and bring the kids along after last years regression he will be worth every dime. The contract is set up so they can cut him after 3 yrs and suffer a minimal cap hit. That IMO is a beautiful deal b/c you a) can afford it b) it immediately helps your team a great amount and especially your two 1st rounders on the o-line and c) you protect yourself in the future. I wont defend the Pace deal, I have said countless times they overspent. i still think he will be a good player for us.

the jets are desparate to win now can you admit that? you guys gave pace a monster contract in which his career year was 6 sacks which also happened to be in a contract year, another huge deal to an old guard who has 2 good years left. The Patriots dont deal like that so no we didnt take the snyder appraoch. Manginas head coaching tenure with the jets will slowly fade away game by game next season.

yes they were somewhat desperate. If you read my post above this the Faneca deal is not as huge as many think. As said by myself for the 123rd time, the Pace deal was overvalued immensely but he stil will be a good football player for us. I will however defend the Kris Jenkins trade and sign, and I dont see the Woody contract as that big a deal.

The way I see, were being called Dan Snyder b/c of the Faneca and Pace contracts. One of which as I outlined is very well thought. Jenkins was a no brainer trade you had to do it.

Last edited:
Jenkins is 29 and beasting in training camp. He has been injury free the lst two years and is already in good football shape. Good NT's can play forever and if he fills that void which I would bet money at this point that he does then it was a great move. NT makes the whole 3-4 D work, if he can be what I envision that means you got the most important piece to go along with several very talented young players on defense. 5 mil to Woody, overpay yes, big deal = no. Someone will have to explain to me how a 5 for 25 deal is going to cripple our cap as I have heard countless times. Faneca still is a top 5 guard, if he can provide great play and bring the kids along after last years regression he will be worth every dime. The contract is set up so they can cut him after 3 yrs and suffer a minimal cap hit. That IMO is a beautiful deal b/c you a) can afford it b) it immediately helps your team a great amount and especially your two 1st rounders on the o-line and c) you protect yourself in the future. I wont defend the Pace deal, I have said countless times they overspent. i still think he will be a good player for us.

Jenkins is a beast in training camp? Good for him. That is one step better than being a beast at minicamp. Let's see Jenkins play for real for a 16 game season before you label him an important piece.

I agree that 5 years for $25 million won't cripple you cap, but paying Damien Woody a 5 year, $25 million to play RT probably won't help your offense much either.

Faneca is still a very good guard, but declining. His play has declined each of the last two years. The Jets rewarded the guy who may have 2-3 years left for what he did in Pittsburgh. That is the definition of a Snyder move.

Snyder didn't cripple his cap until 4-5 years of spending like that. So one year of the Snyder approach will not cripple anyone's cap especially since the cap has grown exponentially. But the Jets are trying to buy a championship. The Pats didn't do that last year because other than Thomas and Welker, they didn't make any long term financial commitment to anyone.

Besides, they were one drive away from going to the Super Bowl in 2006. The Jets were 4-12. There is a big difference between filling in holes with names on a Super Bowl contender than to tryto use them to rebound a team's misfortunes after a top 6 draft pick season.

Jenkins is a beast in training camp? Good for him. That is one step better than being a beast at minicamp. Let's see Jenkins play for real for a 16 game season before you label him an important piece.

I agree that 5 years for $25 million won't cripple you cap, but paying Damien Woody a 5 year, $25 million to play RT probably won't help your offense much either.

Faneca is still a very good guard, but declining. His play has declined each of the last two years. The Jets rewarded the guy who may have 2-3 years left for what he did in Pittsburgh. That is the definition of a Snyder move.

Snyder didn't cripple his cap until 4-5 years of spending like that. So one year of the Snyder approach will not cripple anyone's cap especially since the cap has grown exponentially. But the Jets are trying to buy a championship. The Pats didn't do that last year because other than Thomas and Welker, they didn't make any long term financial commitment to anyone.

Besides, they were one drive away from going to the Super Bowl in 2006. The Jets were 4-12. There is a big difference between filling in holes with names on a Super Bowl contender than to tryto use them to rebound a team's misfortunes after a top 6 draft pick season.

I agree 100 percent, but I will disagree that they are trying to buy a championship now. You eventually have to buy free agents to add to your team b/c you cant draft every piece of the puzzle. They paid big bucks for 2 FA's and made a trade to get a NT and paid him fair value (less then corey williams and Rogers signed for with the Browns). Thats not exactly what I say is buying a championship. There is not a set in stone philosophy of draft your core then spend money. With the additions they made this offseason they added 2 pieces to solidfy the o-line for the near future, they potentially added 2 good pieces on defense to go along with the several young talented players on D.

As for Woody, I understand everyones logic on him, however isn't it unfair to already have him pegged in as a 0 impact player on the o-line? Correct me if im wrong but didn't the cowboys overspend for Leonard Davis who was a terrible tackle to go play guard and he ended up playing a pro bowl caliber guard for them? Im not saying Woody will be the same but why is it fair to assume he will be a mediocre RT and so preposterous to actually think he can be a dependable RT?

Last edited:
I agree 100 percent, but I will disagree that they are trying to buy a championship now. You eventually have to buy free agents to add to your team b/c you cant draft every piece of the puzzle. They paid big bucks for 2 FA's and made a trade to get a NT and paid him fair value (less then corey williams and Rogers signed for with the Browns). Thats not exactly what I say is buying a championship. There is not a set in stone philosophy of draft your core then spend money. With the additions they made this offseason they added 2 pieces to solidfy the o-line for the near future, they potentially added 2 good pieces on defense to go along with the several young talented players on D.

As for Woody, I understand everyones logic on him, however isn't it unfair to already have him pegged in as a 0 impact player on the o-line? Correct me if im wrong but didn't the cowboys overspend for Leonard Davis who was a terrible tackle to go play guard and he ended up playing a pro bowl caliber guard for them? Im not saying Woody will be the same but why is it fair to assume he will be a mediocre RT and so preposterous to actually think he can be a dependable RT?

I'm sure that many Jets fans feel that Victor Hobson is going to be a bust for the Patriots eventhough he is moving from the OLB position where he was miscast to the ILB where he appears to be better suited. Woody hasn't really done anything in years. He could resurrect his career, but the Leonard Davis' are few and far between and it is usually easier for a tackle to go to guard than the other way around.

If the Jets trade for Favre and have to spend anything more than a fourth rounder to get him, it is clear that they are trying to buy at least a playoff contender right away. No way can you sell giving up a second or a first rounder for Favre and say that you are trying to build for a championship over time.

I'm sure that many Jets fans feel that Victor Hobson is going to be a bust for the Patriots eventhough he is moving from the OLB position where he was miscast to the ILB where he appears to be better suited. Woody hasn't really done anything in years. He could resurrect his career, but the Leonard Davis' are few and far between and it is usually easier for a tackle to go to guard than the other way around.

If the Jets trade for Favre and have to spend anything more than a fourth rounder to get him, it is clear that they are trying to buy at least a playoff contender right away. No way can you sell giving up a second or a first rounder for Favre and say that you are trying to build for a championship over time.

Im actually a Hobson fan. He wont be James Farrior 2.0 b/c athletically he just doesn't match up but what I do know is that he is a sure tackler, rock solid aagainst the run and has ILB experience at Michigan. Obviously 3-4 and 4-3 ILB differ but he has the base to be a dependable, non spectacular, good rotation 3-4 ILB IMO. Just dont put him on the TE and pull him on passing downs and he will do a fine job for you

Last edited:
Im actually a Hobson fan. He wont be James Farrior 2.0 b/c athletically he just doesn't match up but what I do know is that he is a sure tackler, rock solid aagainst the run and has ILB experience at Michigan. Obviously 3-4 and 4-3 ILB differ but he has the base to be a dependable, non spectacular, good rotation 3-4 ILB IMO. Just dont put him on the TE and pull him on passing downs and he will do a fine job for you

I like Hobson as well and follow Michigan. In the NFL Hobson has played less than 10 snaps at ILB and only 1 game at ILB while at Michigan (2002 Bowl game).

ESPNEWS ticker reading "Brett Favre considering Packers deal to remain retired".

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3514071

Favre: Packers' $20M offer to stay retired may be best

Brett Favre, convinced that Green Bay will never permit him to compete to be its starting quarterback and recognizing its unwillingness to ship him to an NFC North rival, is actively considering an offer from the Packers that would provide the quarterback a paid lifetime role with the franchise that would not involve playing.

"There isn't a perfect solution to this, but Mark Murphy is at least trying," Favre told ESPN's Ed Werder via text message on Thursday night. "We know what they want and where I stand. His solution, although awkward and unsettling for most, may be the best in the end.''

Wendi Nixx then going on to say the deal will actually be worth near $25 million.

This is what happens when a man realizes the Jets may be his last option.

Packers: Well Brett, it's either you start for the Jets or you start for no one.
Brett: ...So how much will you give me to just retire again?

lol @ gullible Jets fans shooting their load again when in reality ESPN reports that Favre has refused to even talk to the Jets. In other Favre news he can't be reinstated until 4pm today so he won't be attending today's camp.

Last edited:
has anyone ever heard of schrodingers cat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrodingers_cat

basically, the jets have made changes (offensive line, defensive line, diapers). also, the jets sucked last year. we can say that the people they got are scrubs and hasbeens, but we dont really know how they'll do in a new system.

look at what our system does for our players. builds them up when they get here and leaves them lost when they leave (branch, graham, maybe asante).

with the jet trades we can assume they'll lean towards sucking again, but truth is they have the potential for change with those trades.

a jets-farve deal will increase their potential for change. dramatically. they might suck again, but they also might have a season on par with mangini's first season w/the jets.

we won't know what will happen until we look at them and they wet their pants.

I cannot believe this circus has not yet left town.....

Favre taking the money tarnishes legacy and squarely places jerk label on his back.

If he comes back, to GB, and they bury him on the roster, fail to trade him and cut him on day one....that sure would make them look really bad and is a horrible way to treat a guy that did so much - no matter how he bungled his retirement / unretirement / and now his un un retirement or whatever is next

As I said weeks ago, GB best move was to have already traded or released him and moved on. If they really feel their future is here now with Rogers, then end the distraction and move on already.

I have never seen two sides that could be more idiotic and wrong in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST