PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the football talk edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see Gronk get going early with a couple of seams...get him hit and into the game early...
I think the safeties will be all over Gronk down the seam. So, send Gronk down left seam, Amendola or Edelman left sideline. If Amendola beats his man, and the safety bites on Gronk, it's a td. Otherwise, Vereen or someone should be open left flat with the left side cleared out.

Little things like that to take advantage of that Cover 3, and their determination to stop Gronk. If run successfully a few times, it should free Gronk up late game.

The INT at 5 mins was where you could really see it. The DB thought about running but then he and the other Packer (I would have called him a blocker, but he decided that he wasn't) seemed to get the same thought at the same time, and both of them settled down for nothing. Was there anyone there who could stop him from taking it for a TD? It might have looked like a smart play at the time, but it was really just a lack of killer instinct.

With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to say that.

Given the time and score at that point I don't see anything wrong with being careful. He could have run a few more yards and gone down before contact but in the big scheme of things I'd rather avoid a Chargers 2006 (or Cowboys this postseason) situation where u catch an INT but then turn it back over.

With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to say that.

Given the time and score at that point I don't see anything wrong with being careful. He could have run a few more yards and gone down before contact but in the big scheme of things I'd rather avoid a Chargers 2006 (or Cowboys this postseason) situation where u catch an INT but then turn it back over.

That's the point being made that I responded to with my post. Instead of playing to win both players played cautious in that situation. Probably due to coaching.

The Seahawks are going to be absolutely squatting on these short routes. Brady has been getting the ball out in three seconds or less during these playoffs and Seattle is going to know that. I expect the Pats to open up with something deep out of the play action, like they did against the Giants in 2011 (only, I hope, with better results). Maybe something to Gronk up the seam, though it's pretty hard to complete passes against the Seahawks there because of their alignment coupled with Thomas' closing speed.

The Patriots should also stick with the run. I'm not saying commit to it like they did against the Colts. The Seahawks are much better at defending the run than the Colts. But their DT's are their weakness up front. If Stork is healthy, he, Connolly, and Wendell should be able to move them up front, creating opportunities for Blount to get downhill and force Chancellor to cheat up. This is going to very much be a game of adjustments. McDaniels has had an A+ postseason thus far. He's going to need to bring his A-game once again for this one.

That's the point being made that I responded to with my post. Instead of playing to win both players played cautious in that situation. Probably due to coaching.

I disagree with that. In that situation (score, time left, field position) playing it like that is not a lack of killer instinct. You get the ball, an run down the block or take their TOs and then ideally punt to make them start deep in their own half while they need two scores.

Anyway.. after thinking about the situation for a while this is the opinion I came up with. That being said I completely see your point and I cursed out at the GB player when it happened during the broadcast.

If the Seahawks are soft in the middle and weak down the seam, would this be a good game to run Gronk & Wright out there frequently? 2TE offense? You could switch up which one is running which seam regularly. This was effective against the Bengals earlier in the year, and seems like the only other time they used it; the Bengals D seems similar to the Hawks D, in that they have a pretty decent front line, decent LBs and a good secondary, but are beatable.

Also, I've seen them run some formations where the TE (either Gronk or Wright) line up next to the QB for a moment, but they've invariably ended up splitting off before the snap. Reminds me of the old Hernandez plays putting him at halfback. I'm curious if that's something we may see again.

Wish I had the knowledge and time to study all-22s, so in lieu of my own thoughts, I'll put out a few I heard on the radio:

1. The Seahawks center is stout. Their right tackle is a little banged up, and is a rookie. Most of Seattle's runs go to the right. Therefore: move Wilfork to the right to match up against the rookie more often than zero-technique, and even bull rush the tackle to endanger the B gap.

2. Play Gronk with inside technique, and why not even use Sherman sometimes. Trust the rest of the Seahawks DBs to handle our WRs. However, same dudes who mentioned this spoke how hard it is to "funnel" Gronk... so why should inside technique force Gronk to not do what Gronk want.

3. Ensure Nink seals the edge. That'll help plug up the lanes. The commentators expect Seattle to run right at Chandler Jones, which is what the Ravens did, and is opposite to the point they made in #1.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
For all the people disagreeing with this post:
It's a neutral site. Not sure many Arizonans will be cheering for a division rival. I would expect both teams to have nearly equal representation in terms of true fans.

I give you this one:

The locals will be cheering for the Pats:

http://mobile.patsfans.com/m/articles/mobi.php?id=6230#.VMY3WcuCO0c
There weren't any Seahawks participating in Sunday night's Pro Bowl, but they found out what fans in Arizona thought of them after receiving a less than warm welcome from the home crowd.

There were five players for Seattle who were elected to attend the NFL's annual All-Star game, but since they're playing next weekend in the Super Bowl, they obviously declined. However, they did make an appearance during the contest, with safety Kam Chancellor, running back Marshawn Lynch, cornerback Richard Sherman, safety Earl Thomas and linebacker Bobby Wagner each on hand to take in the game.

Midway through the first quarter they were announced to the crowd, who booed them. Not that it should be that much of a surprise. With the game being played in the home stadium of the Arizona Cardinals, clearly fans aren't happy to see their NFC West rivals with an opportunity to celebrate a Super Bowl title on their home field.

That would be the same as the Jets playing in the Super Bowl at Gillette Stadium. Fortunately the odds are pretty good that won't happen, not because Gillette Stadium probably won't be a host for the foreseeable future, but because that would require the Jets to get there - which is the even less likely scenario.

I think setting the tone is massive in this game. Can't wait to see the play calls on the opening drive. Very intriguing match up indeed.

One set of radio folks, while highlighting the Patriots ability to adjust constantly, suggested New England should be patient in the opening drive. Run some plays and "work up a sweat" before starting in with adjustments. I think the idea was to ensure everyone's fully locked in mentally.

For all I know, the first scripted plays are *designed* to present different looks and gauge the opponent's response.

One of their guests, a defensive player, told anecdotes how Patriots teams stress you at every level. One of them: there's always something on offense you've never seen from them before; it knocks the younger players off balance when they're not sure who their assignment is. Then coaches and players spend sideline time checking out the photos, charting it all out, making sure they know what to do ... and the Patriots never use it again.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Then coaches and players spend sideline time checking out the photos, charting it all out, making sure they know what to do ... and the Patriots never use it again.
:D

“I love DQ," Wright said. "He really lets us excel. He keeps everything simple and he just makes simple calls. He probably has five calls a game and he just lets our athleticism go out there and win ball games. He loves to box up with eight men.

If this is true, how did Manning not pick them apart last year?

Manning couldn't pick them apart because there was nothing to pick apart. The calls and schemes were very simple. They defeated Manning with their athleticism not strategy.

Carroll has a "this is what we do, see if you can beat us" mentality with this particular team, as it is what brings out the best in them. For the most part, it works, but it will backfire against a team like the Patriots who have the ability (and confidence) to play unconventionally.

All the athleticism in the world won't help them if they get confused.

I hope we do NOT see that forced red zone seam pass to Gronk in double coverage.

I hope we do NOT see that forced red zone seam pass to Gronk in double coverage.

...and thrown behind Rob.

Reactions: sb1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back