PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "FAVRE - he's really coming baaack only not in GB" post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Packers are now filing charges on.... you guessed it.... the Vikings.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/16/packers-file-tampering-charges-against-vikings/#comments

It looks like Florio wasn’t the only one curious about conversations between Brett Favre and Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.

Jay Glazer of Fox is reporting that the Packers have filed tampering charges with the league about alleged conversations between the two men. The league is currently investigating the matter and gathering information by talking to people on both teams. Glazer’s sources say the Vikings “vehemently deny” that there’s been any wrongdoing. The penalty for tampering is loss of draft picks and/or a fine.

Despite Brad Childress’s protestations, many believe that the Vikings are Favre’s ideal team for the 2008 season. Bevell was his quarterback coach in Green Bay for three seasons, and the team is in very good shape outside of the quarterback position. They’re also the team the Packers would least like to see Favre playing for in the fall. If they knew the Vikings wouldn’t sign Favre, they might be more amenable to releasing him as he desires.

Following that logic, the tampering claim could be a way of scaring the Vikings off their pursuit of Favre. Tampering is difficult to prove but if the Vikings signed Favre right when he became available they’d certainly appear guilty.

According to the NFL Network the Packers spoke to multiple teams about trading Favre last night including one NFC team.

He'll be a Jet this week. :banned:

Adam Schefter is alluding to that possibility on NFLN tonight. Wouldn't that be a circus?

My entire point is very realistic and basic -- Green Bay management should only concern themselves with doing what is best for their franchise. If that means trading him, do it, fast. If it means letting him come back to at least compete for starting job, say it. If they cannot trade him and don't want him back - then release him, move on and don't look back.
What happens if the best thing for the Packers is to trade him to an AFC non-contender, with a poison bullet clause that prevents him from being traded (to the team he really wants to go to) again?

What happens if Packers management concludes that the scenario above cannot be worked out? That the only team that will take him is the Vikings? Or the only other team that will take him is the Bucs, but they will then trade Jeff Garcia to the Vikings? Why should they be forced to make that trade?

What if it's in Green Bay's best interest to let Favre sit on the inactive list every single week, pay him his salary, and not let him play for another team? If that's the case, let Favre buy his contract out, complete with a charge back to his agent that gave him the ludicrous advice that got him in tis mess.

What happens if the best thing for the Packers is to trade him to an AFC non-contender, with a poison bullet clause that prevents him from being traded (to the team he really wants to go to) again?

What happens if Packers management concludes that the scenario above cannot be worked out? That the only team that will take him is the Vikings? Or the only other team that will take him is the Bucs, but they will then trade Jeff Garcia to the Vikings? Why should they be forced to make that trade?

What if it's in Green Bay's best interest to let Favre sit on the inactive list every single week, pay him his salary, and not let him play for another team? If that's the case, let Favre buy his contract out, complete with a charge back to his agent that gave him the ludicrous advice that got him in tis mess.

The Pack's best interests are superceeded by the best interests of the league as solely determined by the Grand Poobah himself, Roger "Out of my league" Goodell.

More big news...

BREAKING NEWS: Brett Favre contemplates taking a ****

Green Bay, WI - Brett Favre, legendary quarterback and almost certain hall of fame selection set off a firestorm of media speculation when he announced that he is "seriously contemplating" taking a dump.

"I've always had a passion for pooping," the former Packer said, "Sometimes I squeeze out big 'ol bricks when Raisin Bran plays a prominent role in my diet, and other times I squirt a Hershey typhoon when Deanna makes some good 'ol down home Jambalaya, but while the consistency and quantity change, my love of the bowel movement has never wavered."

Favre has been known for publicly contemplating taking a **** for years. "Sometimes, I have been guilty of taking a **** too early," he said, "I've discussed this with my family for quite some time. They appreciate my desire to clean out my bowels, but they're worried about me being away from them for 3 or even 5 minutes as I pinch one out. It could be as high as ten minutes if magazine reading is involved."

Longtime Packers backup Aaron Rodgers has been waiting outside the bathroom for over ten minutes for his turn to take a crap. "Brett has taken some pretty legendary dumps in his time. I'll never forget the time he ate an entire box of crayons and stunned us all when the Burnt Sienna one came out whole and unscathed," the 24 year old said, "but Ted [Thompson] has expressed confidence that my bowel movements will be slender and graceful and improve in girth and stench over time."

That about sums it up...

According to NFLN the President of the Packers has been airlifted to Kiln to BEG Brett NOT TO SHOW UP IN WISCONSIN. I wonder if that will be enough attention for him for this week. Though I doubt it.

What they should do to keep the drama queen off the practice field is let him report and then lock him in a film room with all the tape the rest of his teamates have been studying since February plus a recurring loop of that one from their playoff exit against the Giants and tell him he can't take the field until he passes a written test on what went wrong in that game as well as diagnosing defenses the Packers will play in 2008. He'll go home with a migraine in less than a week. He just wants to sling it.

He has yet to give Thompson that list of teams he is willing to be traded to. Maybe he can't spell Minnesota. BTW, if Goodell doesn't find any tampering occurred in this case it will only underscore his tenure as thoroughly politically corrupt.

He has yet to give Thompson that list of teams he is willing to be traded to. Maybe he can't spell Minnesota.

Isn't this the same Favre that can't spell his own last name? ;)

On an more serious note let me make my own "prediction" on what will happen:

Murphy and Favre talk today since Murphy has flown down to Mississippi. Favre manages to pressure Murphy into his requested unconditional release in exchange to not show up to Packers training champ. Favre in a few days signs with.........

Wait for it.

The Vikings.

I dont understand the big deal, the pack does not want him ,cut him or trade him to the vikings.. ask for a 2 and 5 and move on.. Both are at fault, but I sense Farve did not want to play for the Pack anymore, and is forcing thier hand..

Godell will step in and broker a deal,.. But if the Jets are involved I SMELL A RAT...:banned:

I mean how you don't start someone like Favre is beyond me. Seriously.

The guy gives them the best chance at winning now that his supporting cast is stronger than it was years ago.

How I think it will go down? Packers ownership has already stated that they are going with Rogers. I do think they will go with Rogers. Brett has maybe a couple years left, they need to develop a QB, this is their thinking ....fine.

I have a feeling he will play elsewhere.

Where?

....dunno maybe the Jets?

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=118958

Report: Favre offered $20M to stay home

WTMJ-TV Channel 4 in Milwaukee, citing two sources, reported that Packers president Mark Murphy at least floated the idea of paying Favre a package in the neighborhood of $20 million over 10 years to remain retired.

A bribe out of desperation? Favre had to have known that he couldn't accept that deal and keep his status as a revered NFL legend. If this report is true, then someone in Favre's camp would have leaked the offer to the press. Packers CEO Mark Murphy won't discuss details of the meeting, but this is shaping up for an ugly showdown if Favre does report. Jul. 30 - 11:07 pm et

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3512348

The Green Bay Packers, unable so far to trade Brett Favre and facing his arrival at training camp, are reportedly considering taking a step they desperately wanted to avoid: dealing him to a division rival.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, citing a source close to the situation, on Wednesday reported the Packers were considering seeking a deal with one of their rivals, most likely the Minnesota Vikings or Chicago Bears, if all else fails.

They're getting awfully desperate.

The Pats delt Bledsoe to the Bills.. I think the Pack for 2 yrs could put up with Farve in a Viking uniform , its not that big of deal the folks at fespn make it out to be.

If I was Thompson or McCarthy, I'd trade Favre for whatever I could get from an AFC team like the Jets or Bills or Chiefs. What the Packers get back is inconsequential. A month ago the Packers were getting nothing in return and they were fine with that; if they wanted something in return for Favre they would have traded him a year or two ago.

The Packer's motivation is for favre to not hurt their team this year. That eliminates Minnesota, who is already probably better than Green Bay, and Tampa Bay, who could be competing with the Packers for a wild card spot. Thompson and McCarthy want the team to be united with Rodgers as their leader. That won't happen if Favre is on the roster, or playing with a good playoff contender.

The best thing that could happen for the Packers is for Favre to not play and stay retired. That could very well happen if Favre is traded to a team other than Minnesota. No comparisons to Rodgers, no second guessing of the front office, no splintered locker room; out of sight, out of mind.

The next best thing that could happen for the Packers is for Favre to not play as well as Rodgers, and the best way to make that happen is if Favre is on a mediocre team. The inevitable weekly comparisons to Rodgers would be acceptable; on a bad team Favre's interceptions, as well as losses, will be high. The team and fans see Favre's record and stats, and are fine with Rodgers as the QB.

For Thompson and McCarthy, their responsibility is to do what is best for the team - not Brett Favre. In my opinion, trading him to a team that he probably won't play for is their best option.

On a side note, if Favre wants to be released so badly, why hasn't he offered to buy out the remaining two years of his contract? And why is he apparently willing to play for only one other team?

Here's something I haven't seen mentioned before.Granted that QB ( and LB) are the toughest positions to learn, how will Favre do in a different system? He has been in GB for 15 plus years and will now go somewhere where he has to learn new terminology, lingo, audibles ( unless they change the teams ones for him) well into training camp.

If I was Thompson or McCarthy, I'd trade Favre for whatever I could get from an AFC team like the Jets or Bills or Chiefs. What the Packers get back is inconsequential. A month ago the Packers were getting nothing in return and they were fine with that; if they wanted something in return for Favre they would have traded him a year or two ago.

The Packer's motivation is for favre to not hurt their team this year. That eliminates Minnesota, who is already probably better than Green Bay, and Tampa Bay, who could be competing with the Packers for a wild card spot. Thompson and McCarthy want the team to be united with Rodgers as their leader. That won't happen if Favre is on the roster, or playing with a good playoff contender.

The best thing that could happen for the Packers is for Favre to not play and stay retired. That could very well happen if Favre is traded to a team other than Minnesota. No comparisons to Rodgers, no second guessing of the front office, no splintered locker room; out of sight, out of mind.

The next best thing that could happen for the Packers is for Favre to not play as well as Rodgers, and the best way to make that happen is if Favre is on a mediocre team. The inevitable weekly comparisons to Rodgers would be acceptable; on a bad team Favre's interceptions, as well as losses, will be high. The team and fans see Favre's record and stats, and are fine with Rodgers as the QB.

For Thompson and McCarthy, their responsibility is to do what is best for the team - not Brett Favre. In my opinion, trading him to a team that he probably won't play for is their best option.

On a side note, if Favre wants to be released so badly, why hasn't he offered to buy out the remaining two years of his contract? And why is he apparently willing to play for only one other team?

I agree with the above strategy. Even if that meant that the Jets got him for what's perceived as a 'steal' pick wise, it's best that it happens. I'd love to see Favre tossing up 4th QTR picks against the Pats. Then writers could speculate "Just how good was Favre really? What if he'd had to play against the BB Pats for the last 7 years?" And yes, I know that Favre skunked BB and Brady in that game.

The Favre circus is insane. The thought of offering someone $20 million to "stay retired" boggles my mind. The Packers are wrong no matter what they do. But I'd love to see them trade him to the Bears, which would be like Brady going to the Jets. I don't think Favre has a chance in hell of succeeding on the field with another team, given his undisciplined style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back