PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - pregame musings

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just a few things that come to mind before Detroit arrives.

1. Just my humble opinion, but the biggest misconception we continually get from the media is that Revis will cover this guy and Browner someone else. The truth of the matter is that Revis will NEVER play press man on any one receiver exclusively, while he is a member of the Patriots.....for a couple of reasons.

Now that there is sufficient depth and talent on D, the Pats are free to put in practice one of BB's most cherished tenants. That is to create weekly defensive strategies based what the opponent does. Trying to creating favorable match ups each week designed to stop what the offense likes to do best. Secondly, NO defense will be successful within the current rules by simply doing the same thing over and over. You really can't stop a good offense man to man. What you CAN do is occasionally fool them by creating confusion and have them questioning what they are seeing.

THAT is why, While I expect Revis to spend a lot of time on Golden Tate, he is sure to see his fair share of snaps against Johnson. Also just because Revis lines up over one or the other doesn't mean he will be in press coverage. Sometimes he will, and sometimes he won't. Its all part of a strategy designed to have Stafford second guessing his reads, and not knowing where the pressure is coming from.

So when people/mediots speculate whether Revis will to do this or that, it is really a gross oversimplification of the reality of Patricia's design.

2. That being said, it will be interesting to see if BB continues the practice of locking Revis on a team's 2nd best WR (Tate) a majority of the time, and bracketing their top guy (Johnson). To me it makes sense. Like Hilton, Tate has been the go to guy for Detroit this season, mostly due to Johnson's injuries. Also Browner is a much better physical match up on Johnson in the short to mid range areas. Giving Stafford a look which makes him think he has a favorable match up with Browner only to try to go deep into a S covering over the top can be a big advantage for the Pats. However the problem with those rare guys like Johnson....and Gronk, is that you can cover them PERFECTLY and they can still come down with the ball. :eek:

3. The Pats OL has seen a lot of good DL's this season, but they haven't seen one this good thus far. It could be the ultimate test to see how good this offense really is. They are #1 against the run. They are #1 in creating pressure. They are #1 in getting off the field on 3rd down. They are #1 in creating the lowest QBR and finally they are #1 in points scored. They are also #1 in a few other stats, but I think you get the idea. This team's defense is GOOD and likely the best they will see this season

If the Pats manage to score over 30 points against THIS group, then I won't worry about an offensive collapse (barring injuries) late in the playoffs, like we've seen recently.

4. This team has some toughness, both mental and physical. What happens on Sunday will go a long way to telling us how much. It got me thinking about the 2001 team. IIRC, that team was SO tough, that regardless of whether that team won or lost,(and remember they were 5-5 to start) the team we played that week took a physical beating and most didn't fare well the next week or 2. I loved that team for that. I'd like to think that THIS team is trending in that direction.

5. I hope the lesson learned from the Raider victory over the team that croaked us just a month ago, reinforces the notion that there are NO casual victories in the NFL. EVERY team has a high degree of both physical talent and competent coaching (though some might have a bit better than others ;) ) "on any given Sunday" is NOT just a cliche; it's a fact. We should keep that in mind when we face the Jets, Dolphins, Bills, and SD to close out this season.....and that goes double is we are lucky enough to win the next 2 weeks

6. It's very comforting to start to see some raw stats on how Stork has been playing. While I liked the pick, I did not think he'd be making such an immediate impact. I'm really liking this draft so far. JG is the best looking rookie QB the Pats have had in the BB era. Easley has been actually contributing more than expected despite the fact he's playing banged up and out of his ideal position. Flemming and Moore have shown great potential in limited roles. The lack of success of Halipio, Gallon, Thomas, and White is more than made up for by adding Butler, Tyms, Devey, and Grey....and who knows what White will end up being in a year or 2 (though I'm not hopeful ;) )

7. Very interesting to see how as a C, Ryan Wendell was a soft spot in pass protection as an undersized OLman. Yet for some unknown reason he's become a rock as a undersized G. :eek: This is doubly surprising since he's rarely played the position prior to this year. Anyone want to try and explain that one to me? I'd love to see one of the mediots get Googs, Josh, or BB to come up with an answer. Can anyone remember a bigger one year perception turnaround by a Pats player?

8. The keys to this game are simple for the Pats.

a. Limit penalties
b. Don't turn the ball over
c. Limit big chunk plays (20+) to 3
d. Get off the field on 3rd down when on defense (50% would be great), and move the chains on offense (again 50% against these guys would be great)
e. Limit Detroit to FG's while scoring TD's

So now that we have established I have a keen sense of the obvious, we should move on. :D

9. I didn't notice a thread on who's crew will be reffing this week. Anyone know who, and what they are like? It's really a sad state of affairs in the NFL that this should even be a subject to discuss.....but scouting these guys these days is just as important as scouting your opponent.

10. Is it me, or does anyone else feel that if Ray Rice hadn't cold ****ed his GF, and the idiot on top hadn't blown the punishment, Andre Peterson would be getting ready to play this week for the Vikes.

It doesn't justify he beating he gave his son, regardless of his love for him or any so called cultural justifications, but 9 weeks and the financial loss of millions in endorsements SHOULD have been enough punishment for a first time offender. Maybe you throw in 3 or 4 game checks as a fine, since he got paid during his absence. I find it horrifying that Rice might come off the suspension list before Peterson.

This overreaction and poor decision making by Goodell isn't too dissimilar to his over reaction and subsequent handling of the "spygate" drama. In both cases his handling of these issues has severely damaged the league, let alone the Pats and players involved. He really should go, and I'm disappointed in Bob Kraft's unconditional support of him.

11. Now back to football - Run or Pass. History has shown us that BB won't waste his time banging his head against the wall trying to run the ball against great rush defenses. Now of course the Pats ARE going to run the ball, but will the number be closer to 20 than 40.

Odds are the passing game will get the majority of calls this week, Now the question will be WHO gets the targets. Is THIS the game Wright finally breaks out? Amendola anyone? Personally I'd like to see the Pats throw to Devlin when they are in 2 RB formations.

12. Detroit has been great this season in creating a new LOS by getting great initial penetration on the snap. You can use this to your advantage if you execute well. Using a combination of Gronk, Devlin, or OT's pulling on "wham" blocks (trap) could create some huge holes. However they might also cause losses and fumbles if backside blocks aren't executed well. Screens and draws are plays that might also see a comeback.

13. This might be one of those throwback games like in 2001, when BB really didn't care how successful the run game was as long as it was good enough to move the sticks on short yardage/GL and didn't create negative yards I bet he'd take 30 attempts for 90 yds right now, because that would be enough to legitimize the play action passing game and keep TOP in balance.

14. It's infuriating how the media is making so much of the fact Blount left the field while his team was kneeling and running out the final seconds of a game and turn's it into that he quit on his team. :rolleyes: Blount's release was due to a LOT more than that, but those mediots were too lazy or incompetent to flesh out the reasons other than to mention he'd been an ongoing problem for over a month.

I'm not naive enough not to believe that Blount CAN be a problem.....but clearly he wasn't here, either on the field or in the locker room. If its carries he wants, he'll get them.....if he EARNS them....and he won't get him running like a ****y scat back. His "pad level" story is a good one. I just hope he puts it into use. However, I will be surprised if he sees little more than a cameo role this week, because this is more of a Vareen game than a Blount/Gray one.

Feel free to add any other thoughts you might have on this game or comment on mine.

Last edited:
9) From footballzebras.com, Lions at Patriots — Tony Corrente is the ref for this game. Also from that site, through week 10, BB had no challenges. I believe he had one during the Colts game which would be the first of the season.

I don't really know why Wendell is so much better this year. But I've played all positions on the OL and I prefered to play guard over center. As a guard you can fire away with all your force as soon as the QB yells "Hut". But as a center you have that small delay of snaping the ball and letting the QB secure it before you can really go all out in your block. It's not a big delay. But it's something extra to think of in every block. Could see why someone small would benefit of being able to fire right away without having to think about handling a snap first.

I don't really know why Wendell is so much better this year. But I've played all positions on the OL and I prefered to play guard over center. As a guard you can fire away with all your force as soon as the QB yells "Hut". But as a center you have that small delay of snaping the ball and letting the QB secure it before you can really go all out in your block. It's not a big delay. But it's something extra to think of in every block. Could see why someone small would benefit of being able to fire right away without having to think about handling a snap first.

That small delay coupled with Wendell's snap tell meant that he was often dealing with a tackle who was already halfway past him. Defenders were able to get a jump because he telegraphed when he was snapping the ball.

THAT is why, While I expect Revis to spend a lot of time on Golden Tate, he is sure to see his fair share of snaps against Johnson. Also just because Revis lines up over one or the other doesn't mean he will be in press coverage. Sometimes he will, and sometimes he won't. Its all part of a strategy designed to have Stafford second guessing his reads, and not knowing where the pressure is coming from.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. BB/Patricia can truly go into mad scienctist mode because he's got a team that is (A) Physical, (B) Mentally tough, (C) High football IQ (individually and as a unit), (D) Positionally flexible, (E) Has completely bought into the system, (F) Understands their role.

With that, they can make different alignments with the same personnel from one play to another. And let me add (G) Improving from week to week.
3. The Pats OL has seen a lot of good DL's this season, but they haven't seen one this good thus far. It could be the ultimate test to see how good this offense really is. They are #1 against the run. They are #1 in creating pressure. They are #1 in getting off the field on 3rd down. They are #1 in creating the lowest QBR and finally they are #1 in points scored. They are also #1 in a few other stats, but I think you get the idea. This team's defense is GOOD and likely the best they will see this season.

If the Pats manage to score over 30 points against THIS group, then I won't worry about an offensive collapse (barring injuries) late in the playoffs, like we've seen recently.
Not much to add here except that The colts were #1 last week in getting off the field on third downs. That is until the Patriots went 9 of 12 and bumped them out of that #1 spot. But, that's nto to take anything away from Detroit. They are beasts and if we can handle them, then our offense will have played he majority of top defenses. The line will be battle tested and confident.

7. Very interesting to see how as a C, Ryan Wendell was a soft spot in pass protection as an undersized OLman. Yet for some unknown reason he's become a rock as a undersized G. :eek: This is doubly surprising since he's rarely played the position prior to this year. Anyone want to try and explain that one to me? I'd love to see one of the mediots get Googs, Josh, or BB to come up with an answer. Can anyone remember a bigger one year perception turnaround by a Pats player?
It is amazing how the offensive line has solidified from the 2-2 start of the season. I'd like someone in the media (or anywhere) to explain how it happened. Maybe someone could convince Scar to explain it.
9. I didn't notice a thread on who's crew will be reffing this week. Anyone know who, and what they are like? It's really a sad state of affairs in the NFL that this should even be a subject to discuss.....but scouting these guys these days is just as important as scouting your opponent.
Reiss had it eariler this week: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england...72603/tony-corrente-to-referee-patriots-lions
Veteran referee Tony Corrente has been assigned to work Sunday's game between the Patriots and Lions at Gillette Stadium. Entering last week's game, Corrente's crew had averaged the sixth-highest penalty average per game among the 17 officiating crews.

Looking back, the Patriots had seven penalties in Sunday's win over the Colts, which was one of their better games in this department. That ups the season total to 98 penalties, 84 of which have been accepted. The Patriots remain on pace to easily surpass their highest accepted penalty total under Bill Belichick, 111 in the 2003 season.

Here's an interesting stat that Pats Fans might appreciate....and use to glorify the Power of the Hoodie
Opponents were 6-3 the week prior to playing NE
Opponents were 2-6-1 the week after playing NE

Spoken in the most horrendous Southie accent evah...."Belichick is so wicked smaaart he exposes the frauds for what they arrrrrrrr."

Regarding #3: I'm not totally sold TBH. Maybe they really are that good, but they need to prove it against top competition.

The Lions have beaten: NYG, GB (by a solid margin, but at a point in the season where GB was playing awful), NYJ, Min, NO and Atl (both 4-6) in 1-point squeakers, and Miami (barely). By my count, that's one impressive win (and numerous impressive 4th quarters).

By contrast, they've lost to Drew Stanton-led Arizona, Buffalo, and they got throttled by 3-7-1 Carolina.

Further, they have a barely-above-par turnover margin of +3, while the Pats lead the league at +11.

Regarding #3: I'm not totally sold TBH. Maybe they really are that good, but they need to prove it against top competition.

The Lions have beaten: NYG, GB (by a solid margin, but at a point in the season where GB was playing awful), NYJ, Min, NO and Atl (both 4-6) in 1-point squeakers, and Miami (barely). By my count, that's one impressive win (and numerous impressive 4th quarters).

By contrast, they've lost to Drew Stanton-led Arizona, Buffalo, and they got throttled by 3-7-1 Carolina.

Further, they have a barely-above-par turnover margin of +3, while the Pats lead the league at +11.
-Teams that win with defense win ugly
-Best scoring D in the NFL
-Both NE and Det are 3-1 vs common opponents
-Megatron missed 5 games
.....No running game, awful QB play......they play ugly. And their strength (D line) is up against a vulnerable O line that has showed some improvement.
BB may just slow it down and wait for Stafford to implode

-Teams that win with defense win ugly
Very true. My only point is that it's tough to discern how much credit belongs to their defense and how much to their quality of opponent. The NFC South has given them everything they can handle... (Don't get me wrong: Det's D is undeniably good. But is it the best? Maybe -- we'll find out on Sunday.)

If we can put 30+ on this D...we can do it on anyone in the league.

What Adrian Peterson has been PROVEN guilty of is a lot worse than what Ray Rice has been proven guilty of. We just assume based on distressingly vast experience that what Ray Rice has been proven to have done is the tip of a much larger iceberg.

But of course, proof is quite relevant to punishment.

Matthew Stafford is in the middle of the second level of quarterbacks, that is a decided advantage for us.. I suspect interchangeable defenses to muddy the waters.. when in man to man suspect will see Revis on Tate, but I suspect will see some zone as well..

I also suspect our O game plan will be somewhat different to match this defense... need to neutralize this defensive front. I think you are right on when we see some different wrinkles this week; Develin, Wright even Amendola...

The TE's of Detroit seem to present a big problem, but as our defense practices daily against pretty good TE's I suspect that will be neutralized... but that could be an issue.

Sticking the Peterson/Rice brouhaha into this thread may bog it down and dilute the quality of the initial post...

2. That being said, it will be interesting to see if BB continues the practice of locking Revis on a team's 2nd best WR (Tate) a majority of the time, and bracketing their top guy (Johnson). To me it makes sense. Like Hilton, Tate has been the go to guy for Detroit this season, mostly due to Johnson's injuries. Also Browner is a much better physical match up on Johnson in the short to mid range areas. Giving Stafford a look which makes him think he has a favorable match up with Browner only to try to go deep into a S covering over the top can be a big advantage for the Pats. However the problem with those rare guys like Johnson....and Gronk, is that you can cover them PERFECTLY and they can still come down with the ball. :eek:

I think the conclusion that Revis is being locked on the team's 2nd best receiver is a little misleading. He has been locked on two team's most complete receivers in cases when a team's top receiver is an absolute burner. It is easier to cover speed with over-the-top help, but that doesn't help against the technically best receivers. Revis matches up perfectly with guys like Wayne and Jennings, but not so much with Hilton, Patterson (or Mike Wallace). Johnson has high-end speed when he is healthy, but not at the moment, so I think he is a fine match-up for Revis. Unfortunately, Golden Tate might be too quick for Browner, and if you put Browner on Johnson with help over the top, it will be manageable, but Johnson will win a lot of those battles.

I think your notion that coverages will get mixed, at least early on, is a good one. If the Pats were to play man, I might prefer Dennard on Tate and Revis on Johnson, but given Dennard's current status on the bench, I doubt that will happen.

Let's see how Wendell does against a beastly attacking DLine before concluding that he is no longer "a soft spot in pass protection as an undersized OLman." If he does well this week, than I take back everything bad everyone else has said about him.

Great work as aalways, Ken, but had to take issue with #10.

Mrs Rice CHOSE to be with MR Rice before and after the elevator punch. Although any discussion of Stockholm Syndromes is perfectly possible.

In our society, 4 year old children have fewer protections and rights than animals.

If Adrian Peterson's dog was photographed with lacerations given by Mr Peterson, he'd be in a jail right NOW.

Although they are both sickening and unacceptable, Its not even close. The horror of what Peterson did against a child with no access to car keys, help or understanding is far worse.

Last edited:
This is a huge test for the OL. If they can hold up against this front it's huge.

I believe this is a pass to set up the run game. They'll spread them out and use draws and traps to keep the Lions honest. I expect a large snap count and big role for Vereen. Detroit's secondary isn't great. If their front 7 gets neutralized they'll get exposed. Per usual I don't see a solution for Gronk which will open up things for others.

The biggest thing that scares me about the Lions offense is if Stafford scrambles and one of the Lions receivers breaks free for big plays. I expect the controlled pass rush to keep him in the pocket.

Reggie Bush is also supposed to play and that's a bit of a match-up problem for the Pats unless they want to commit Collins to him but I think they'll need him on the tight ends. If Ebron and Pettigrew both play that could also cause match-up problems. If Browner is going to help bracket Johnson that takes him out of helping on the TEs. If Detroit were smart I think using a 21 grouping and spreading the Pats out would be the way to go. The Pats probably respond with a nickle and you force Hightower and Collins to play wide opening things up for the running game to control tempo and keep the down and distance manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back