PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The " Disaster" No One Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any effort Stallworth would have made to break up the play would have been very smart on his part. He probably would have been flagged for it based on the shenanigans Sunday.

However, the ball was well under thrown for a guy in single coverage.

The other INT, although a great catch, was a bonehead throw into triple coverage. In the tv replay, you can see 2 other receivers who are single covered. It's pretty obvious, Brady didn't make a good read there, and the Colts knew where he 'wanted' to go with the ball.

I don't know what happened but you're certainly right about the loss of momentum and the increasing frustration being felt out there.

Similar things have happened to Manning against us. Breakdowns are fun when they work for you, and pretty frustrating when they go against you.

Somehow they survived but I did sense that it got a whole lot harder because of that pick.

That pick did not make it hard; the resulting break-down in the defense that allowed their touchdown in less than 2 mts shifted the momentum and made it hard.

Brady could have made a better throw, but it was a poor play by Donte, who did not start in favor of Gaffney, who did little. I'm pretty sure we live with Brady. Troy Brown or Chad Jackson anyone?

Who starts at WR is the most overrated thing in the world. Whoever starts is the guy who plays the first play. With WRs, the Pats have and will continue to start different back up WRs based on what the first play is. It doesn't mean that the guy will play more than a back up. Case in point, Stallworth played 32 plays and Gaffney played 21.

Why does it seem a lot of you guys are blaming Stallworth for not going after the ball, or making a bad adjustment? To me it was 1) a bad playcall, 2) a badly thrown ball on Brady's part, and 3) a somewhat bad decision to throw into coverage.

It was obvious Stallworth expected to catch that ball in the endzone, but Brady underthrew him and the ball didn't make it into the endzone. Stallworth realizing this tried to stop (he was going close to full speed), and make his way back to the ball, but it was to late.

That was a key play when it comes to the overall outcome of that game, and the Colts ability to gain that 10 point lead in the second half, but I don't think you can just blame it on Stallworth, and the Patriots had other chances to make something happen and didn't capitalize on them. I'm glad they won, and to an extent I'm glad they won in that fashion, because it gives BB plenty to complain about, and fix during the Bye.

Because it is on the WR to make a play on the ball. Stallworth essentially ran past the most efficient spot to fight for the ball and allowed Bethea to get in front of him for an uncontested pick.

The 55 yarder to Moss was obviously a different route, but the way the ball was thrown was similar. Brady is just going to learn that Moss is better at making those types of plays than Donte.

BTW, Donte absolutely misplayed it. It wasn't a case of overrunning, realizing the mistake and coming back. He knew that it was short and just ran to the wrong spot. Both Brady and Donte screwed up.

I think this underthrow is simply a reflection of the shoulder problems Brady has had for years now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes