PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The " Disaster" No One Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe all these underthrown balls are arm fatigue ;)

The INT was definitely a bad throw by Brady. The other long pass to Stallworth down the sideline, where he was pushed out, was a beautiful throw.

Brady and Donte should be faulted on the first INT...

it was underthrown, and at the same time Donte did not adjust to it well...

donte also did not have good vision of the safety, which kinda snuck up behind him...otherwise im positive donte would have moved up to make the catch...but he was surprised, he didnt expect anyone to be there

This is my point....Mathis should not have been there.He must have been in deep zone,because he didn't react to the post move.If this is true then TB should have thrown it sooner.

This play is designed so that the safety is drawn to the post with man coverage,not in zone.

Either Dante or TB missread the safety.This fake post is designed to get the WR wide open,not a
jump ball with the defender.

Too soon,too risky and a terrible play call.

I think this int was all brady, stallworth had him beat, brady waited to long to pass it and when he did he underthrew him.

Yes, I just watched the replay (again). This pass came after a 4 second delayed role out, Stallworth was already deep, and the coverage was there before Brady threw the pass. Tom shouldn't have ever let that pass fly, and if he was going to, it should have been thrown to the endzone.

Watch this highlight reel and at 1:10 this play is highlighted.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803e4990

Last edited:
Just my two cents:

The design of the play was piss-poor and not really set up for success with Brady throwing across his body as he had to. What makes a bad play worse is that Stallworth was open and could have had the TD if the ball was thrown both further and got there quicker. Stallworth went up for the ball but was in no position to be able to rip the ball away from Bethea. Blame on that play really falls on Brady and McDaniels.

I also think the Brackett INT was just a hair underthrown, but few LBs are able to make that play, and props really have to go to the defender in that case.

The INT was definitely a bad throw by Brady. The other long pass to Stallworth down the sideline, where he was pushed out, was a beautiful throw.

Yup, that was a great pass and catch, at a very important point in the game.

It was a duck, poor thrown ball by Brady. Both ints were on Brady-both badly thrown, under thrown balls.

Quack, quack, quack... I think Brady and BB did it one purpose so that a couple of plays later they could let Addai go 70+ yards for a TD. This gave Indy a false sense of hope and provide ammo for the 1/2 time pep talk... genius, pure genius...

Honestly Brady can't throw the long ball, the good news as long as he throws it within 10 yards of Moss it is going to be a catch.

Before this game, my impression on a few long TD passes was: the difference between a TD and an INT has been "Moss." With Indy's overall better D, I expected a long pass like this to go for an int this game. Yes, these plays are always risky, but the rewards so far have been high. Terrible play call? I dunno. I think it's one of those "if it works, you're a genius...".

This all seems a little harsh to me. Both INTs seemed to have the wrong pace...meaning too much air. I think both made it to the right place, just a hair too late.

As for them being "bad" throws, give the guy a break. The Stallworth pick seemed like a reasonable risk since Bethea had a long way to go to cover. The K.Brady pick was a great play by Brackett. TB would want both of those throws back obviously, but you have to take some chances to get the safeties and linebackers to soften up.

I'll give TB a break on those. Looked like he was trying to be too fine on some of his throws. In the 4th, he was back to slinging it. Lesson learned for him.

Yes, I just watched the replay (again). This pass came after a 4 second delayed role out, Stallworth was already deep, and the coverage was there before Brady threw the pass. Tom shouldn't have ever let that pass fly, and if he was going to, it should have been thrown to the endzone.

yea,i watched it again.Brady should have thrown it before dante made his break.

By rolling to his right and throwing cross field,it
allowed Mathis to undercut Dante.This would have worked with a left rollout or from the pocket,but
it's way too risky,cross field.

If you'll note Too bad Brady didn't look at other options,as the rollout bought him all sorts of time.

He should have checked down or taken off,himself

Way too risky,cross field.

Tom gave Donte an opportunity to make the play. It wasn't a well executed play as it appeared that Donte had already moved towards the sideline before Tom released it so there wasn't a clear spot to throw the ball where only Donte could catch it but when a receiver is being given an opportunity to make a play it is his responsibility to at least knock it down if the throw is slightly off. I don't blame Donte for not completing the catch but I blame him for the INT.

Agreed, I'm a huge Brady homer, but both picks were underthrows.

And I mean so be it, it's going to happen every once in a while. Not very often that your quarterback can double-up his interceptions for the year in one game (in Week 9 no less) and still walk out with a win.

and I thought it was a 3rd and long (like 20+) or something because of the penalty, so the interception worked almost like a punt because I don't think we would have made first down on that one. So instead of trying to pin them deep on the punt, it'd work the same way. Also, I'll have to pin the blame on the D that time for letting them drove 90+ yards. Tom underthrow that just a little bit.

edit: my bad it was 2nd and 24

Last edited:
The play is the long-bomb to Stallworth in the 1st half,that was intercepted.

I believe it was first down and the Pats had the ball in Colt's territory around the 50 yd line.

Dante Stallworth ran a "skinny" post fake and go
to the left corner of the end zone.

I believe that Stallworth missread the safety on this and caused TB to throw the interception.

On this play,he must read whether the safety was
"influenced" by the skinny post or not and adjust
accordingly......Mathis was not influenced and that
Bob Sanders was not in position to defend the post,as he was occupied with Moss on the right side.

I believe Brady expected him to stay on the post
move towards the center of the end zone,not the
left corner,where Mathis was playing the deep zone.

This was a "disaster" because we could have scored at least 3 points and maybe 7 AND run out
the clock......negating the Addai "miracle" run.

We would have been up 10-6 or 14-6 with all the momentum going into receiving the 2nd half kickoff.

I also blame Josh Mcdaniel,as I believe it was first
down and a really bad play call.

If you remember the Denver playoff game,the same scenario.....the same interception on 1st down.

I saw Brady motioning to Stallworth after the interception.....telling him either his "read" or his
"route" was wrong.

Anybody have another take on this play?

Sour grapes man. Can't continue to throw up jump balls and expect your player to come down with it every time.

Sorry, I agree with the people that it was more Brady's fault. That play was designed to hit Stallworth in the endzone, but Brady underthrew it. I thought it was the right play because Stallworth got the one on one match up that favors him, but because he had to stop short of the endzone it gave Brackett a chance to read it and make a play on the ball.

Tom gave Donte an opportunity to make the play. It wasn't a well executed play as it appeared that Donte had already moved towards the sideline before Tom released it so there wasn't a clear spot to throw the ball where only Donte could catch it but when a receiver is being given an opportunity to make a play it is his responsibility to at least knock it down if the throw is slightly off. I don't blame Donte for not completing the catch but I blame him for the INT.

The thing is Brackett "jumped the route" like Samuel does all the time. It is where the defender doesn't make a play for the ball for the last second. It is really hard to impossible for receivers to break up the passes in that case bacause they don't see the defender going for the ball until it was too late.

I still give more of the blame to Brady and credit to the defender than blame to Brady.

Sorry, I agree with the people that it was more Brady's fault. That play was designed to hit Stallworth in the endzone, but Brady underthrew it. I thought it was the right play because Stallworth got the one on one match up that favors him, but because he had to stop short of the endzone it gave Brackett a chance to read it and make a play on the ball.

It was Bethea.

Brackett made the acrobatic INT later in the game.

Quack, quack, quack... I think Brady and BB did it one purpose so that a couple of plays later they could let Addai go 70+ yards for a TD. This gave Indy a false sense of hope and provide ammo for the 1/2 time pep talk... genius, pure genius...

Honestly Brady can't throw the long ball, the good news as long as he throws it within 10 yards of Moss it is going to be a catch.

Brady can't throw the long ball?? Are you serious? He has his share of underthrown bombs, but what quarterback doesn't? To say he can't throw it is just a silly statement.

Brady could have made a better throw, but it was a poor play by Donte, who did not start in favor of Gaffney, who did little. I'm pretty sure we live with Brady. Troy Brown or Chad Jackson anyone?

Brady could have made a better throw, but it was a poor play by Donte, who did not start in favor of Gaffney, who did little. I'm pretty sure we live with Brady. Troy Brown or Chad Jackson anyone?
I'd rather have wide receiver Chad Jackson on the roster than safety Ray Ventrone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back