PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Defense Played Very Well Indeed

My definition of “very well” doesn’t include allowing the opponent to go 7-15 on 3rd and 4th downs often poorly contested. It doesn’t include failing to force a turnover when the opponent presented several opportunities for one. It does not include coming out on the field after your offense had scored a TD to get within 10 points and allowing multiple first downs, minutes coming off the clock, and a FG. Finally, it doesn’t include whatever happened at the end of the first half when a rookie HC punked you by going for it on 4th and seven near midfield, and you gave up a TD pass where one defender pulled back to avoid contact while 2 teammates collided with one another.
Not to mention getting an encroachment penalty right after taking a timeout on defense.

That was championship defense out there, and they weren't even going at 100%.

As far as the offense, I can't help but laugh at the hysteria here. Someone posters are having an aneurysm over the results of a preseason game. Those are signs of some serious mental health issues.

This was preseason game #4, and so you saw exactly what you would see in any preseason game. The team sat some of its starters and best players at various points throughout the game - for example, Bourne, Strange, Wynn. The offense was kept entirely vanilla. Only two personnel groupings were used the entire game and very little playaction or motion. It was all just base plays. Pretty standard operating procedure for a preseason game, and it's the exact type of stuff you will see for the remainder of the preseason. They will only start dialling in the important stuff once we get to the meaningful games in October.

I will say, though, that on the one or two drives that the offense actually tried, it looked unstoppable. They had zero issue doing what they wanted to that defense, be it on the ground or through the air. Mac was an absolute monster on 3rd down today, and delivered some dimes to Meyers and Bourne deep down the field, and he did it while playing with a severe back injury. This kid is truly special.

I would like to see the team sit both Mac and Bourne for the rest of the preseason. No need to risk the health of arguably our two best and most talented offensive players since Randy Moss.

It was a meaningless game.

Last season we got swept by Miami and still made the playoffs. More importantly, we were the best team in the entire league before injuries devastated us down the stretch.

September games do not count.

I think hysteria might be setting in. September games don't count? We gave up a miracle catch that clearly wasn't a miracle.. The D looked better than expected and the offense looked as bad as we feared. Thats pretty much what happened.

They did a good job on Hill, the guy is a beast and they contained him...no huge tds. Sadly, Waddle had a couple big catches. Miamis offense has real weapons on it and the patriots held them to 13 points.

I agree they did a pretty good job.

They did a good job on Hill, the guy is a beast and they contained him...no huge tds. Sadly, Waddle had a couple big catches. Miamis offense has real weapons on it and the patriots held them to 13 points.

I agree they did a pretty good job.

I was also really impressed with Edmonds. Gave me some Kamara vibes in terms of size, speed, power combo, body control, hands, fluidity.

I was pleased with how the defense contained him. Would’ve been a bloodbath last season with Hightower and KVN out there. McMillian, Wilson, are a breath of fresh air.

I think hysteria might be setting in. September games don't count? We gave up a miracle catch that clearly wasn't a miracle.. The D looked better than expected and the offense looked as bad as we feared. Thats pretty much what happened.

One odd poster does not represent "board wide" hysteria.

The defense was a surprise.

What is feared on offense, IMO, is Mac's play. Mac looked lost. The Dolphins stacked the box (same defensive approach used by lots of teams in 2021) and dared Mac to beat them and he couldn't. Mac continued to miss the blitz as well. Until Mac can recognize the blitz, step up in the pocket, and beat single outside coverage, it will be ugly.

Stop it before you embarrass yourself.
What we know from the loss on the road to the Dolphins is that:

CBS spent too much time showing two old fat assistant coaches. Not since air in a football has the media been more hoodwinked by anything as inconsequential as the Bill Belichick Home For Awful Head Coaches. The play calling and clock management were fine.

The defense played well enough to win the game - not perfect, but well enough against a talented offense with a capable (not great) quarterback.

We learned that the Patriots are not good enough to overcome giving up three more turnovers than their opponent. No team is in the NFL.

The pass protection is far from ready for prime time. The talent is there, I think, but the communication and timing is not. That was the biggest weakness on the field yesterday and is responsible for the 1st quarter strip sack TD. They did a good job run blocking.

When Mac Jones had time, he found his man and delivered a catchable ball - it was great to see all three running backs (Montgomery, Stevenson, and Harris) with multiple receptions. Overall the receiving corps looked good - especially Agholor and Jonnu Smith who we have questions about.

Belichick looks like he's lost some weight and is serious about passing Don Shula for most wins. Good.

Finally, it goes without saying, but Dan Shaughnessy is a shoo-in first ballot honoree in the Douche-bag Hall of Fame.

When Mac Jones had time, he found his man and delivered a catchable ball - it was great to see all three running backs (Montgomery, Stevenson, and Harris) with multiple receptions. Overall the receiving corps looked good - especially Agholor and Jonnu Smith who we have questions about.
I’m not yet sold on Agholor. Putting the ball on the ground is never looking especially good. Apart from that I thought Nellie was outplayed by Jacobi. He was better than last year, but still not as good as I’d like to see.

my impression of the WRs yesterday was that Meyers was our best receiver, and when he got his chance Bourne was right up there with Meyers. Agholor was meh, nothing terrible but nothing really outstanding either. Parker was a disappointment, as was Montgomery. TEs were ok, nice to see Jonnu finally playing better and doing well.

Not to mention getting an encroachment penalty right after taking a timeout on defense.
Speaking of that penalty, was Carl Davis benched for that stupidity? Made a note to myself to check to see if I could see his number or name called out there but my old ass forgot. Can’t imagine BB letting that go so easily. Especially after Jonas Gray, Malcolm Butler and Rhamondre Stevenson early last season.

Nobody can objectively argue that a defense that only gave up 13 points was anything but good. Also, they played the entire time from behind.

Of course Miami could have scored on the last drive.That said, I don't think Miami offense was good so I will hold my judgment for a few more games.

One odd poster does not represent "board wide" hysteria.

The defense was a surprise.

What is feared on offense, IMO, is Mac's play. Mac looked lost. The Dolphins stacked the box (same defensive approach used by lots of teams in 2021) and dared Mac to beat them and he couldn't. Mac continued to miss the blitz as well. Until Mac can recognize the blitz, step up in the pocket, and beat single outside coverage, it will be ugly.
ABSOLUTELY!!!! MAC looked worse than he did all last year. I don't blame coaches, it was Mac. He got hit in the mouth when Strange let the Dolphin in unmolested and that was the end of his game. Extremely disappointing. Agree 100%.

I do have questions about why we didn't use the middle more often. Was it our execution or the Miami defense taking it away.

He has to throw with more velocity. I've seen throws inside with velocity but its not always there and his outside throws are not hard enough.

Suck it up Mac.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! MAC looked worse than he did all last year. I don't blame coaches, it was Mac. He got hit in the mouth when Strange let the Dolphin in unmolested and that was the end of his game. Extremely disappointing. Agree 100%.

I do have questions about why we didn't use the middle more often. Was it our execution or the Miami defense taking it away.

He has to throw with more velocity. I've seen throws inside with velocity but its not always there and his outside throws are not hard enough.

Suck it up Mac.

Miami took the middle away. Same as teams did down the stretch last year. That is why the Pats practiced the outside throws all Spring. Mac missed the throws yesterday except the one to Bourne. Should have hit Smith and Agholor for big gains. Everyone remarks on the Bourne throw, but Smith and Agholor were equally open - I think a good throw to either might have gone for a TD.

Having said that, your velocity discussion is not always correct. For an over the shoulder throw to the outside no-one throws with velocity, it has to be a lolly pop throw over the top. Look at the throw to the outside to Jakobi that was broken up, it should have been thrown with less velocity and over the defender. Not sure you understand when to throw with velocity and when to drop a throw over the top into a bucket. Mac's arm is fine - see Tom House's remarks - but Mac seems rattled.

Speaking of that penalty, was Carl Davis benched for that stupidity? Made a note to myself to check to see if I could see his number or name called out there but my old ass forgot. Can’t imagine BB letting that go so easily. Especially after Jonas Gray, Malcolm Butler and Rhamondre Stevenson early last season.
He definitely played after that, because he had 14 snaps and there were only six snaps (really five since we know he didn’t start) before the penalty.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back