PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Bottom Of The Roster - Pick Six For Now

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
See below for a 47 man roster that seems to cover our needs as best we can, without free agent acquisitions. Other than special teams, it is not clear that any of the rest are really that important OTHER THAN as inexpensive developmental players. To put it another way, free agent acquisitions could be more likely to meet needs than the developmental players not on the 47 below (Green and Cunningham are veteran exceptions).

I would note that the roster below already has many rookies: Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Sudfeld, Collins, Ryan, and Harmon.

QUESTION ONE
What roles could the bottom six play?

QUESTION TWO
How important are those roles?

QUESTION THREE
Are there really any player not listed that would likely be important to our 2013 success? Are any of these veterans?

===================

A 47 MAN ROSTER
(this would be the active roster except that we'd likely sit Boyce)

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (4) Ridley, Vereen, Washington, Blount
WR (6) Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Edelman, Boyce, Slater
TE (4) Gronkowski, Fells, Sudfeld, Ballard/Hooman
C (1) Wendell
G (3) Mankins, Connolly, Cannon
T (3) Vollmer, Solder, Svitek
DE (4) Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Benard
DT (3) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
OLB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Collins
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan, Cole
SS (1) Wilson
FS (3) McCourty, Gregory, Harmon
ST (3) Gostkowski, Aiken, Mesko

Total players: 47
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2013
====================

SOME OF THE PLAYERS COMPETING FOR THE LAST SIX ROSTER SPOTS

SPECIAL TEAMERS
Tarpinian, Rivera, Koutouvides, Ebner

VETERAN BACKUPS
Green, Cunningham

PLAYERS THAT NEED DEVELOPMENT
Tebow, Bolden. Develin, Zusevics, T Wilson, Bequette, Beuharnais, Buchanan, your favorite UDFA's

PLAYERS THAT NEED HEALTH
Dowling

See below for a 47 man roster that seems to cover our needs as best we can, without free agent acquisitions. Other than special teams, it is not clear that any of the rest are really that important OTHER THAN as inexpensive developmental players. To put it another way, free agent acquisitions could be more likely to meet needs than the developmental players not on the 47 below (Green and Cunningham are veteran exceptions).

I would note that the roster below already has many rookies: Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Sudfeld, Collins, Ryan, and Harmon.

QUESTION ONE

QUESTION TWO

QUESTION THREE
Are there really any player not listed that would likely be important to our 2013 success? Are any of these veterans?

===================

A 47 MAN ROSTER

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
C (1) Wendell
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
SS (1) Wilson

====================

SPECIAL TEAMERS

VETERAN BACKUPS
Green, Cunningham

Tebow, Bolden. Develin, Zusevics, T Wilson, Bequette, Beuharnais, Buchanan, your favorite UDFA's

PLAYERS THAT NEED HEALTH
Dowling

Cunningham, Zusevics, Tavon Wilson, Bequette, Beauharnais, Buchanan

QUESTION ONE

QUESTION TWO

QUESTION THREE

===================

A 47 MAN ROSTER

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
C (1) Wendell
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
SS (1) Wilson

====================

SPECIAL TEAMERS

VETERAN BACKUPS
Green, Cunningham

PLAYERS THAT NEED HEALTH
Dowling

Ebner-Keep him for ST duties for another year, see if he can develop to anything resembling a safety.

Bolden-I know we disagree here, MG. With Blount's emergence, Bolden will probably be the 5th RB. Why cut a RB that's shown talent and has upside? BB kept BJGE in his 2nd year as the 5th RB, I don't see why he'd ditch Bolden now.

Zusevics-We need an 8th OL, I'll go with Zusevics over Green.

Beuharnais-Looked decent last night, have him replace Koutovides/Riviera ST role.

Buchanan-Close, but I chose Buchanan over Bequette.

Dowling-I'll give Dowling one more season.......

I have a serious problem giving what we saw last night (and last season, and in TC) in Tavon Wilson a roster spot, even if he was a mid-2nd round pick last year.

I'm more OK with Bolden now that we know we have 3 solid running backs. Bolden is inexpensive insurance at running back and a reasonably good special teamer. Also, Blount and Washington are free agents after the season.

Green-Ellis was in a somewhat different position. He was competing with old, old running backs (the oldest in the NFL).

Bolden-I know we disagree here, MG. With Blount's emergence, Bolden will probably be the 5th RB. Why cut a RB that's shown talent and has upside? BB kept BJGE in his 2nd year as the 5th RB, I don't see why he'd ditch Bolden now.

Looking at that roster this is what I would most likely prefer for the final six positions; one each of a

C/G
OT
DE
DT
LB
S

With that in mind I'll go with the following for the moment:

• OL: Tyronne Green (over Josh Kline and Chris McDonald)
  • OT: Markus Zusevics (over RJ Mattes and Kevin Haslam)
  • DE: Michael Buchanan (over Jake Bequette and Jermaine Cunningham)
  • DT: Cory Grissom (over Joe Vellano and Anthony Rashad White; Armond Armstead to NFI)
  • LB: Steve Beauharnais (over Niko Koutouvides and AJ Edds)
  • S: Tavon Wilson (over Nate Ebner or another CB)

As for Special Teams, Koutouvides spot is taken by Beauharnais. Cole is still there, and Ebner might compete with Gregory at safety for his ST play.

A lot of close calls right now with this roster.

Only 3 DTs? Can't be. I think/hope it's too early to presume Armstead starts the season on NFI, so I'll take:

Armstead
Beauharnais
Buchanan
Dowling
Ebner
Zusevics

Last edited:
This seems a fine analysis of the choices before us. While these are indeed close calls, it is not clear that they will matter much.

Obviously, there are many who would keep a 5th RB instead of the 9th OL, especially if we have 3-4 OL's on the Practice Squad.

Looking at that roster this is what I would most likely prefer for the final six positions; one each of a

C/G
OT
DE
DT
LB
S

• DT: Cory Grissom (over Joe Vellano and Anthony Rashad White; Armond Armstead to NFI)

As for Special Teams, Koutouvides spot is taken by Beauharnais. Cole is still there, and Ebner might compete with Gregory at safety for his ST play.

I thought that this deserved a bump (rather than a new roster post).

We might know more on Friday. I would add the battle at corner between Dowling and Cole for the 5th CB spot.

So, we have Hooman/Ballard, DOwling/Cole and the 5 battles listed below. It will be interesting to see if Jenkins can even work his way back into the WR discussion.

C/G
OT
DE
DT
LB
S

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (4) Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Washington
WR (5) Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins, Slater
TE (3) Gronkowski, Fells, Ballard
C (1) Wendell
DE (4) Ninkovich, Jones, Francis, Benard
DT (4) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston, Grissom (Armstead - PUP)
ILB (3) Spikes, Fletcher, Beauharnais
OLB (3) Mayo, Hightower, Collins
CB (4) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan
SS (1) Wilson
FS (3) McCourty, Gregory (ugh!), Harmon
ST (3) Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken

Total players: 46

47 - Josh Boyce
48 - Tyronne Green/Markus Zusevics
49 - Zach Sudfeld
50 - Michael Buchanan
51 - Tavon Wilson/Nate Ebner
52 - Marquice Cole/Glass-IR Dowling
53 - Tim Tebow (not my choice)

Seems to me that there are more than a few good names there which, while you want to keep them, include some veterans who have great shadow roster potential.

These are typically guys who have more value to the Patriots than other teams, and as such sometimes remain unsigned as the season starts. It sometimes makes more sense to keep the guys at the bottom of the roster who are more raw but have upside.

And I think that may still indclude a third string QB who seems to still seems to be able to run the ball pretty well.

Belichick has carried lesser QBs with fewer NFL wins and a smaller skill set than Tebow in the past - and Belichick and McDaniels are not as shy about using trick plays as everyone seems to think.

Re: Re: The Bottom Of The Roster - Pick Six For Now

QUESTION ONE

QUESTION TWO

QUESTION THREE

===================

A 47 MAN ROSTER

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
C (1) Wendell
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
SS (1) Wilson

====================

SPECIAL TEAMERS

VETERAN BACKUPS
Green, Cunningham

PLAYERS THAT NEED HEALTH
Dowling

If had to pick just six they would be the players listed below. I'd prefer not to keep Gregory personally because I cannot see cutting Wilson (12' 2nd rounder) or Harmon (13' 3rd rounder).

Keeping them and Gregory seems redundant; they all play the same position and have similar skill sets. With that said I do understand and agree with keeping Gregory at this point due to the lack or progress in year two by Wilson and the unknown of Harmon.

Dowling
Wilson
Bequette
Buchanan
Cunningham
Bolden

Anyone have any update on Armond Armstead?

I have never understood the argument that we have to keep a player bc we invested a draft pick. That makes little sense, unless it's more about someone's personal reputation, and I doubt BB cares about what people think of him.

Obviously injuries are going to matter for this list, so it's a little premature.

A few things. It's not obvious to me that Ryan won't be PS'd. I suspect he'd get through waivers at this time given that he hasn't exactly wow'd.

I am still holding out hope that Armstead comes off of the NFI list and makes an impact.

I actually had high hopes for him and Harrison but both of them cant seem to get on the field. I know both of them have PS ability but i think Armstead would get claimed, if i remember correctly, he had a couple of offers from different teams

A few things. It's not obvious to me that Ryan won't be PS'd. I suspect he'd get through waivers at this time given that he hasn't exactly wow'd.

omg guys it's been 1 preseason game and he's a rookie.

he'd be scooped up in a second.

I have never understood the argument that we have to keep a player bc we invested a draft pick.

I would say that happens because there is more of other things to go on (i.e., the player's college career) than a relatively short amount of time in a training camp, or even one year in the NFL.

At that point in time there is still enough potential upside and the player is still viewed as having a higher ceiling than certain other players.

At some point (if not the third training camp, then certainly the fourth) a coaching staff has enough to go on to have a much more accurate assessment of what that player's ceiling is and what to expect from him. By that point in time they have more than enough information to evaluate a player at the NFL level based on what they have seen first hand; what happened in college is unnecessary and irrelevant to their evaluations at that point.

Tavon Wilson
Jake Bequette
Michael Buchanan
Steve Beauharnais
Tim Tebow
Jeff Tarpinian/Markus Zusevics

Also, I just want to say that I don't think Justin Francis is as much of a lock for a roster spot as a lot of us think.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back