Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Tarrell Brown

Votes: 44 60.3%
  • Bradley Fletcher

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for Fletcher...but it could also be Brown.

Roberts was very impressive against GB. He is not ready for CB1 or CB2 IMO

I would call Ryan a bad CB...but that would be an insult to bad CB's. I think Harmon played a little CB last night. I prefer him over Ryan.

Hate to say it but wouldn't be shocked if BB purposefully IR'd Roberts to stash him for a year and let him learn the ropes some without costing a roster spot. If they did that I figure they would keep Fletcher for a year.

Brown was held out the same reason why Mayo was held out. Veteran that is healthy but is coming back from an injury and BB he knows what he has. It also allowed BB to throw Roberts out there against a great offense and see how he responded. Up until the injury I think BB was happy.

Last edited:
Hate to say it but wouldn't be shocked if BB purposefully IR'd Roberts to stash him for a year and let him learn the ropes some without costing a roster spot. If they did that I figure they would keep Fletcher for a year.

I don't know. Roberts starting instead of Ryan or Fletcher speaks volumes IMO. If Roberts injury isn't too serious think there is a good chance he makes the 53. I mean they carried 6 CBs with Revis and Browner last year until Dennard got put on IR.

I don't know. Roberts starting instead of Ryan or Fletcher speaks volumes IMO. If Roberts injury isn't too serious think there is a good chance he makes the 53. I mean they carried 6 CBs with Revis and Browner last year until Dennard got put on IR.

Roberts got all the reps for the same reason Boyce and White did. Not because they may start....but to force feed them and see what they can do IMO

Yeah I mean I would much prefer for him not to be stashed on IR, just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

Hope Roberts is OK but I don't think they'll be too upset to IR him either. We usually keep 5 CB. Butler, Ryan, Brown, McClain, Fletcher would be 5, then Roberts would be 6. We could keep them all and make a cut elsewhere otherwise someone goes.

As for the players, I'm definitely hoping Brown is solid. We really only need to replace Revis, he and McCourty made the secondary last yer. Browner was fine, ups and downs, pros and cons. Any NFL average CB can replace him (in a different way, less physical more speed). Butler is the key, he won't be Revis but if he can do a good job on #1 the rest will take care of itself.
We actually have 6 CB generally. Last season once Browner came off suspension we had - Revis, Dennard, Ryan, Butler, Arrington, Browner.

Roberts reminds me a lot of Jamie Collins entering the NFL. Physically gifted but needs to be coached. Belichick will make him a star.

Roberts got all the reps for the same reason Boyce and White did. Not because they may start....but to force feed them and see what they can do IMO

Never said anything about Roberts starting. But Boyce and White got all those reps because of who was out. Roberts being with the starters with Ryan and Fletcher active is somewhat telling.

I said that Roberts starting the game over Fletcher and Ryan spoke volumes about where he is at. Never said that he is a starter. Because presumably Brown is the other starting CB.

I think it tells us a little but not a lot. They put Fletch and Ryan out there against the GB starters too. I think it was BB just giving him a gut check and the start label to see how he responded.

After this game I feel Roberts = Fletcher > Ryan. I think Ryan entered this game ahead of both but that is in doubt now. Could have just been a bad game and Ryan had a lot of nice plays. 1 bad play is all it takes though.

It's not actually that black and white. The Pats have played significantly more man than zone the past 2 seasons, and Ryan has given them plenty of quality snaps in man. He's not a guy you want playing a ton of boundary corner against quality route runners because of his tendency to gamble, but that doesn't mean he can't play man coverage.

I agree that Logan does gamble. If he guesses right the play is spectacularly good, a breakup or an INT. If he guesses wrong he can't recover rapidly. In this last game he was fine on several plays including preventing a TD in the endzone, leading to a 4th down turnover.

But he gambled and lost once, and the Safety, Harmon, was very late getting over to help out.

I agree that Logan does gamble. If he guesses right the play is spectacularly good, a breakup or an INT. If he guesses wrong he can't recover rapidly. In this last game he was fine on several plays including preventing a TD in the endzone, leading to a 4th down turnover.

But he gambled and lost once, and the Safety, Harmon, was very late getting over to help out.

Logan Ryan seems to have zero instincts or situational awareness.

Look at the goalline play in the Super Bowl. There were, what, 4 or 5 seconds left? Jam the guy and frickin' tackle him if you have to. Worst that happens is you get a penalty and Seattle settles for 3 with the clock expired.

To me, that's Logan Ryan in a nutshell. When he was a rookie, at least he took chances on the ball. Now he's 10 yards off a guy, even if he's in man coverage. He can't jam anyone, and he gets beat by the lamest of double moves.

Time for Belichick to actually cut someone from Rutgers who isn't Mark Harrison.

Hard to learn the ropes if you aren't allowed to practice. They'll find room on the roster for a gifted young corner just like they did last year. If they have to get rid of a Nate Ebner and watch their special teams go from the best in the league to the 3rd best, so be it.

You're seriously trying to blame that play on the safety? Ryan got beat like rented mule right off the snap.

Logan Ryan seems to have zero instincts or situational awareness.

Look at the goalline play in the Super Bowl. There were, what, 4 or 5 seconds left? Jam the guy and frickin' tackle him if you have to. Worst that happens is you get a penalty and Seattle settles for 3 with the clock expired.

To me, that's Logan Ryan in a nutshell. When he was a rookie, at least he took chances on the ball. Now he's 10 yards off a guy, even if he's in man coverage. He can't jam anyone, and he gets beat by the lamest of double moves.

Time for Belichick to actually cut someone from Rutgers who isn't Mark Harrison.

Or Tim Wright. :)

(or Tiquan Underwood -- on the eve of a Super Bowl, no less)

The writers saw Revis depart and then started to predict doom and damnation. They can't get off the merry go round even though it doesn't fit.

This secondary may not have a big star but the overall talent and size is better then any in memory since Spike Haynes, Ray Claiborne, Tim Fox and company were patrolling the old Boston Patriots secondary. My concern is all on Offense and it showed yesterday. The Offense Brady and Gronk aside, is very ordinary. It is time to spend a few drafts on Offensive players.

Instead of pretending like what walked out there will be anything remotely close to the 1st team offense we'll see at the start of the season, let's be honest. The offense was without ALL of their Starting O-line, their Top RB, their Top 2 TE, and their top 2 wide receivers and you think it's ordinary based on yesterday's game? *rolls eyes*

Sorry, but you seem to be over-reacting A LOT.

Did Roberts play last night and if so did he play well?

Roberts started and he did well. He was pulled the same time as Butler which tells me A LOT about where he stands..

Learn the ropes without being able to practise? That does not sound like the best solution to make someone better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents