PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

Wonder how much a Robert Woods would do for a 1 rounder vs a Kyle Prater or Quinton Patton or even Marcus Davis for a 4 round pick or mayby lower?

I'll crap if Prater declares. He doesn't start and has a whopping 37 yards this season. I'd be the first to say draft him if he does. I figure he'll be one of the top WR taken in 2015. I'd need to start watching some more WR film to answer your question though. I like Woods from what I've seen.

We all see Scar as the best OL coach and he turn undrafted ppl into gold, mayby we should use that strength for once and "ignore" OL and use picks on defence once more ?

What would ppl say, if BB ignored OL again, or took Kyle Long and then ignore it?

Well, a large part of what people would say is dependent on how they feel about the O line right now. If we only came away with a tackle I'd be a little weirded out.

One guy I don't think I've emphasized enough; I think Illinois's Jonathan Brown is worthy of a top 10 to top 16 pick, but he will be available in the end of the second round. Watch Illinois film, and you see the guy all over the field. I've never scouted a 4-3 outside linebacker with his instincts, and he can rush the quarterback too. An absolute standout prospect. A slightly taller Lavonte David

If he declares this year how about Marcus Lucas WR from Mizzou? 6'5" 215lbs

NFL draft scout have him 61/340 WRs for next year and 999/2714 overall...big body receiver and some decent numbers so far this year in a team with a couple of good WRs.

WOW!!!!! If only a freaky vertical was more useful for a defensive end; still, that's amazing.

I think a criminally underrated part of a D line is their ability to block the ball down at the LOS. Pats fans probably know it better than anyone. We find out every time we play the Giants.

One guy I don't think I've emphasized enough; I think Illinois's Jonathan Brown is worthy of a top 10 to top 16 pick, but he will be available in the end of the second round. Watch Illinois film, and you see the guy all over the field. I've never scouted a 4-3 outside linebacker with his instincts, and he can rush the quarterback too. An absolute standout prospect. A slightly taller Lavonte David

You just got everyone's attention.

I think a criminally underrated part of a D line is their ability to block the ball down at the LOS. Pats fans probably know it better than anyone. We find out every time we play the Giants.

You just got everyone's attention.
Deflecting passes is important, but that has more to do with instincts than length than vertical leap.
Brown is that good. My notes on him:
Jonathan Brown #45 junior outside linebacker prospect looks fantastic below average height mediocre bulk solid speed phenomenal numbers got 108 tackles and 6 sacks as a 4-3 outside linebacker sounds like Lavonte David plays hard excellent tackler looks fast on film great with the delayed blitz good tackler hard hitter had idiotic roughing the passer plays hard great at blitzing up the middle good instincts great pass rusher for a 4-3 outside linebacker hard hitter poor body control hurts him as an open field tackler very quick tight hips can be 4-3 pass rushing outside linebacker rusher not big enough to hold his own in man coverage against a tight end Fauria is a good example not a lot of long speed some short area quickness very tough can read the quarterback’s eyes can recognize screens excellent tackler solid strength great instincts can find holes in the line with ease solid quickness solid tackler could improve hand usage and read guard pulls more effectively could improve hand usage and try to use the momentum of the lineman against him struggles to plug up running lanes sometimes asked to cover slot receivers excellent in coverage great instincts in coverage can read the quarterback’s eyes excellent instincts can find holes in the line and make plays near the goal line looks good when asked to run blitz but when in zone coverage he is very slow to make a play against the run disguises his assignment can find holes in the line with ease if he is asked to get into the backfield incredible awareness of the ball excellent instincts looks phenomenal TFL machine very quick extremely hard hitter very tough plays hard awesome amazing at shedding blocks can use his hands effectively good in coverage but not tall enough to cover super tight ends can make tackles in traffic can make arm tackles tough and strong good in pursuit plays hard very strong awesome instincts looks terrific plays very hard very few weaknesses no single red flag that could make him a bust in the NFL uses his hands well disguises blitzes well awesome in pursuit plays hard good tackler can find holes in the line solid safety spy excellent tackler nose for the ball awesome instincts very quick great tackler can get antsy had an offsides loves to blitz looks phenomenal
Prototypical weakside linebacker in a 4-3. Playmaker who can shed blocks like a linemen and finds holes in the blocking scheme, with the quickness to cover running backs and terrific instincts.

Two other safeties worth keeping an eye on: Prentiss Waggner and Jahleel Addae. Waggner is mediocre against the run but an instinctive ballhawk in coverage. If I had to use one work to describe Addae, it would be bouncy. His on field intensity is ridiculous, as well as his quickness and fluidity. He is very short, but he is a remarkable tackler for his size. Very versatile, often rushes the quarterback with reasonable success, and lines up in the box more often than not.

Deflecting passes is important, but that has more to do with instincts than length than vertical leap.

Maybe, but it's no coincidence that Watt, Campbell, and JPP are better at it than anyone. Vertical leap is also a good measurement for first step and explosion.

I've watched a fair amount of Brown, and I like him, but I don't think he has nearly the instincts or the coverage range of Lavonte David. But he's a very good player.

Last edited:
Other sleepers:
Emory Blake is worth keeping an eye on. Not physically amazing, but has a terrific feel for the game. Really just knows how to play.
Zac Stacy is a beast with an unnatural ratio of power to size. Look him up on YouTube. He can do amazing things.
I've seen David Quessenberry once. Admittedly, it was the 2011 UCLA game (UCLA was among the NCAA's worst in sacks), but, he simply played a perfect game. He did no wrong. It was art. It was beautiful. When I get my hands on more SJSU game film, I'll be looking to make sure his performance wasn't a one time thing. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.
Kevin Minter's stock should rise after the Florida game. He looks like a completely different player in 2012. Instincts have improved tremendously.
You guys know how much I like Aaron Hester and Sheldon Price, but one other corner that's pretty underrated is Corey Broomfield of Mississippi State. I'm yet to see him play against a pass-first team, but he has looked amazing so far.
Chris Pantale is an underrated athlete with good strength and flexibility. Could really surprise.
Lastly, I would definitely draft MarQueis Gray if his position was "Athlete." In my mind, if we are talking about senior mobile Big Ten quarterbacks who are likely to be forced to switch positions in the NFL, no one is better than Gray (MarQueis Gray>Denard Robinson)

Last edited:

A few of us loved Lavonte David last year but in the end, we passed on him, Kendricks and Wagner. Makes me think the Pats aren't interested in smaller linebackers, at least at a high round price. This is why I have Knott currently in my mock as he comes with a relatively cheap price.

He reminds me Solder except he's a bit more fundamentally sound, but has a bit less strength
The original comment was based on the current overall draft rating and availability in the late first round than overall talent.

I'd rather re-sign Welker, Edelman, Salas than select any wide receiver in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Another undersized center? Please NO!
If you want a center, make it Khaled Holmes. Best center I have ever scouted. What a lot of people don't realize is that centers don't have to be great blockers. In the NFL, their main job is to be the quarterback of the offensive line (that's why they have their head up pre-snap). They are making line audibles and it's their job to make sure no one is left unblocked on any given play. If a player is left unblocked, you can pretty much blame the center. Holmes does a brilliant job of making line calls in USC's pro-style offense. He was injured for the Stanford game, and USC's entire offensive line collapsed without his presence making line calls and acting like an on field coach. He's amazing. He has Kevin Mawae's football IQ. He's that good.

Maybe, but it's no coincidence that Watt, Campbell, and JPP are better at it than anyone. Vertical leap is also a good measurement for first step and explosion.

Don't think we have seen the full effect of the freakis things Chandler Jones can do this year, with he's long arms. JPP needed a year so did JJ.Swat.

But right now i doubt Ziggy will go less the second round. Could be a late riser.
But the frame, numbers, plays inside and outside - all those things remind me of Seamour... He's 6.6 around 300 But i think Ziggy has better agility then Seamour, there makes him alot more fun. Without knowing combined stats i think ill take him right now for pats 1 round pick.

Wingpan: 85 3/4" C Jones 83 7/8"Smith 81" JPP 82.1/2 JJ.Watt
Arms: 35 1/2" 35 3/8" 34 6/8" 34"
Upper body strength: 22 reps @ 225 20 19 34
Explosiveness: vertical 35" 34" 30.5" 37"
Board Jump: 10" 9'10" 9'07" 10"
Short area burst:10 yard split 1.63 1.65 1.68 1.64
Agility: 3-cone 7.07 7.18 7.22 6.88
Short shuffle: 4.38 4.55 4.67 4.21

There you have the numbers, as we can see Chandler have the biggest wingpan.
Watt is abit more freak the Chandler when talking about agility/strength etc, but not vs batting balls down.

What we also have to remmeber is, all the others have atleast 1 partner in crime, where Chandler have to do it alone ( know Ninko have looked better but still ) so with atleast 1 more to help out, he's number's might become even better - Atleast the number's look's good !

Last edited:
If you want a center, make it Khaled Holmes.
I'd prefer the New England Patriots select a right offensive guard in the 2013 NFL Draft as a potential starter with Dan Connolly shifted back to center.

Mark Harrison from Rutgers?
had a good 2010 but struggled in 2011...
someone knows why?
how is doing 2012?

I'd prefer the New England Patriots select a right offensive guard in the 2013 NFL Draft as a potential starter with Dan Connolly shifted back to center.

Mississippi St. OG Gabe Jackson would fit nicely. 6'4" 320#. A bit reminiscent of Brian Waters. Physical, tough, durable.

If you want a center, make it Khaled Holmes. Best center I have ever scouted. What a lot of people don't realize is that centers don't have to be great blockers. In the NFL, their main job is to be the quarterback of the offensive line (that's why they have their head up pre-snap). They are making line audibles and it's their job to make sure no one is left unblocked on any given play. If a player is left unblocked, you can pretty much blame the center. Holmes does a brilliant job of making line calls in USC's pro-style offense. He was injured for the Stanford game, and USC's entire offensive line collapsed without his presence making line calls and acting like an on field coach. He's amazing. He has Kevin Mawae's football IQ. He's that good.

Mackenzie: FWIW, Belichick doesn't seem to have much enthusiasm for USC players. Certainly in the past he hasn't seemed to buy into the hype (e.g., passing up on Matthews, Cushing, et al., in 2009).

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back