PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

Personally, I'm hoping that DE won't be a priority for us in 2013. And I also think it's too early to be doing pass/fail evaluations on any player. But for now, I'll play, and I'll play devil's advocate about Gholston: I did state that I wanted to stay away from the prospects that we'd attempt to target this coming draft.

1. Gholston's measurables are right in the current BB bailiwick for DE's. 6'7", great wingspan, 280# or so. Perfect.

2. Gholston has great movement skills for his size, and can play in space. He came to Michigan St. as a LB. Perfect.

3. Gholston "plays rough": well, we don't want pansies out there. We've had enough "soft" players who got pushed around by the other team. And before the infamous "punch" Taylor Lewan grabbed Gholston's helmet and facemask while he was on the ground, putting him in a position to get injured: His playing rough wasn't a detriment, it was merely an illustration of what type of player he is.

William Gholston has his head pinned to the ground by U-M's Taylor Lewan no penalty 2011 - YouTube

Sh*t happens. It's not ballet out there. Richard Seymour punched Ben Rothlisberger in the face, albeit when he was playing for the Raiders. Thank God the Pats dumped him first - we don't want "rough" guys like that on the team. Ndamukong Suh threw a punch at Logan Mankins last year, and called Mankins a "dirty bastard". So what? Both are tough, physical, nasty guys who I'd take on my team any day. Apparently you're offended by a player's makeup. I merely mentioned what type of player he was.

4. Gholston's "stats don't leap out at you". Neither did Chandler Jones' stats. Since when has BB ever give a damn about that? You've clearly taken offense at his mediocre stats. I'm displaying him for what he is. Relax, its just a statement of the truth.

5. Gholston "doesn't posess suddenness". Again, neither Jones nor Bequette is a quick-twitch marvel. BB values much more than how quick a prospect's first step is. Gholston has the length to clog the passing lanes, the size and strength to set the edge, and the power to bulldoze his way through offensive tackles.

6. Gholston's "technique doesn't look great". He was a sophomore, for Crissakes, and the film is limited. I'll leave it to BB and company to evaluate his junior film more thorough and figure out whether he can be coached up. JPP's technique sucked coming out of college. Apparently I've offended your binky. You're jumping to his aid rather quickly wouldn't you say?

7. Gholston "seems to the left of center as far as personalities go". Why? Because he's wearing a sombrero? Because he's a little giddy after a bowl game? He seems reasonably articulate, certainly compared to the likes of Courtney Upshaw and Quinton Coples. Here's an interview with Gholston after the infamous Michigan game: Who, in a mature state of mind wants to wear a sombrero to a post game interview? What image does that present? What story are you trying to tell us?

Michigan State's William Gholston Post Game vs Michigan - YouTube

He doesn't seem too far out there to me. And if he is a little goofy, so what? Matt Light left dead animals in people's lockers and electrically shocked BB with a fake mouse, and he worked out OK. (Of course, OTG would point out that you want your left tackle to be "left of center".)

My biggest questions with Gholston are not his personality or his "playing rough" but whether he is consistent enough, whether his motor is on enough, whether he cares enough about football to work hard enough, and whether his processing speed is adequate. All of those are open questions going into his junior year. I'd be hesitant to grade him as a "fail" this early. Its an early grade, I did mention the season is far away. Your opinion is a bit too strong for an early diagnosis. I merely meant to present a player and his ability to be a Pats player at this stage. He's got an entire season to prove me wrong.

INCOMPLETE

Apparently you don't like these type of early grades. That's fine. Don't expect me to care at this point. His previous season isn't top ten draft worthy as many sites have portrayed. He could gain ground, but I'd say he's a bit unconventional to be so highly rated.

Don't be so aggressive in your retort from now on. You've been a great poster for me till this point, but I don't care to read such a harsh reaction. I'm merely trying to present a calm and reasonable point of view at an extremely early stage.

It isn't an exact indicator of what will come. Show restraint, and reason if you want to make this thread and this board welcome to others.

I share your hopes that the Pats are not in the market for a DE next year, and while it may be irrational, I REALLY hope the Pats don't draft a player named Gholston.

Haha-its definitely too early to tell, but I don't think this Gholston has a chance to be a Pat.

I wanted to get started on making names known on who's going to be available this coming draft. Gholston has been one of the bigger names advertised so far.

My perspective is that he's a bit immature to fit the Pat makeup of a targeted player. He wants to do good for himself, but he's not up to speed yet on what it takes to be a NFL player yet.

I'm really not sure what you're reacting to. I qualified my reply as playing devil's advocate, therefore it was deliberately an attempt to be argumentative. It wasn't a personal attack on you in any way, and I'm not sure why you're taking it as such. It really wasn't intended to give offense, and I'm sorry if it did. But if you're going to try to give early grades to players, you should be prepared for people to disagree with some of them. As I've said, I'm cautious about grading players at all this early, but for me Gholston has enough upside to his game that I'm willing to put him on a short list of guys who are intriguing. That's somewhat different than your "fail" grade, and because of that I took the opposite position, for argument's sake. That's all.

Your original premise wasn't to discuss whether a prospect is currently overrated or top 10 material, but whether he might fit for the Pats. Your premise is that he isn't. I'd say that he could well be, but it's too early to tell for sure, hence my incomplete grade. If that's too "harsh" for you, then perhaps your expectations are unrealistic.

Apparently you don't like these type of early grades. That's fine. Don't expect me to care at this point. His previous season isn't top ten draft worthy as many sites have portrayed. He could gain ground, but I'd say he's a bit unconventional to be so highly rated.

Don't be so aggressive in your retort from now on. You've been a great poster for me till this point, but I don't care to read such a harsh reaction. I'm merely trying to present a calm and reasonable point of view at an extremely early stage.

It isn't an exact indicator of what will come. Show restraint, and reason if you want to make this thread and this board welcome to others.

I'm really not sure what you're reacting to. I qualified my reply as playing devil's advocate, therefore it was deliberately an attempt to be argumentative. It wasn't a personal attack on you in any way, and I'm not sure why you're taking it as such. It really wasn't intended to give offense, and I'm sorry if it did. But if you're going to try to give early grades to players, you should be prepared for people to disagree with some of them. As I've said, I'm cautious about grading players at all this early, but for me Gholston has enough upside to his game that I'm willing to put him on a short list of guys who are intriguing. That's somewhat different than your "fail" grade, and because of that I took the opposite position, for argument's sake. That's all.

Your original premise wasn't to discuss whether a prospect is currently overrated or top 10 material, but whether he might fit for the Pats. Your premise is that he isn't. I'd say that he could well be, but it's too early to tell for sure, hence my incomplete grade. If that's too "harsh" for you, then perhaps your expectations are unrealistic.

Maybe you should reread your post through another person's eyes.

You can be dismissive now, and attempt to concede that your "devil's advocate" argument was mild and unprovocative, but that's untrue.

You're a well-respected member of this board, who may, at times, feel that you are unencumbered to argue your point of view, but when you decide to attack someone else's point of view then expect a rebuttal.

I stated in the response that you need to "relax". It's an early view of things to come. That's readily apparent. I'm not laying the hammer down on anybody this far, but my belief of a player's ability to fit our system is pretty solid right now.

Gholston is not a Patriot. You can don a sombrero with him and wonder why you've done so. Or you can see that he's not so impressive as he's listed.

In the end, I'm reacting to you. I mildy attempted to portray a potential pick in a very early stage, and you found every way to "bash" my point of view. You're no better at evaluation at this point than any other and shouldn't be so anxious to downplay my point of view.

I'm not trying to downplay your point of view. I qualified everything I wrote as playing devil's advocate. The whole point of playing devil's advocate is to take the opposite side of the expressed point of view, hence I responded with counter-arguments to your points. That's all I was doing. It was intended to be a constructive part of an evaluation. Obviously you didn't find it that way. I promise to never play devil's advocate to anything you say again, as it obviously deeply offends you.

To be clear, I am NOT a huge Gholston fan and I agree that he has several question marks. He's not a binky of mine and he's not going to show up on any of my early "projections". But I also think that he has a lot of intriguing elements that could make him a potential fit, and that makes him a prospect of interest to me at this stage of the game. So I would certainly not go so far as you in saying that "Gholston is not a Patriot".

All I personally do this early on in the game is try to find guys who have enough upside or interesting elements to make them potential prospects. I don't try to evaluate them until later. I'm not saying that's right or wrong - it's just the way I do it. You expressed an early view that dismissed Gholston. I said "not so fast". That's all.

Maybe you should reread your post through another person's eyes.

You can be dismissive now, and attempt to concede that your "devil's advocate" argument was mild and unprovocative, but that's untrue.

You're a well-respected member of this board, who may, at times, feel that you are unencumbered to argue your point of view, but when you decide to attack someone else's point of view then expect a rebuttal.

I stated in the response that you need to "relax". It's an early view of things to come. That's readily apparent. I'm not laying the hammer down on anybody this far, but my belief of a player's ability to fit our system is pretty solid right now.

Gholston is not a Patriot. You can don a sombrero with him and wonder why you've done so. Or you can see that he's not so impressive as he's listed.

In the end, I'm reacting to you. I mildy attempted to portray a potential pick in a very early stage, and you found every way to "bash" my point of view. You're no better at evaluation at this point than any other and shouldn't be so anxious to downplay my point of view.

I'm not trying to downplay your point of view. I qualified everything I wrote as playing devil's advocate. The whole point of playing devil's advocate is to take the opposite side of the expressed point of view, hence I responded with counter-arguments to your points. That's all I was doing. It was intended to be a constructive part of an evaluation. Obviously you didn't find it that way. I promise to never play devil's advocate to anything you say again, as it obviously deeply offends you.

I don't get offended easily. You attempting to shoot down every point I made wasn't constructive. You apparently don't find it easy to communicate without trying to assert your "devil's advocate" point of view. Maybe I should just roll over?

The depth of my offense is in your lack of ability to respond without trying to offend. I'm actually surprised by your ineptness. You've been solid so far. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

Feel free to respond as you wish. I've found you to be as you are. I'm better for it. Post as you wish brother mayo.

Last edited:
I'll be posting another "early" player eval tomorrow btw;) I'll promise to be less offended tomorrow;)

It will be a player who's definitely not an O-line or DT! That means, safeties and OLBs and RBs...oh my!

Updated OT rankings from Walter Football:

WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft: Offensive Tackle Rankings

They've been huge DJ Fluker fans for over a year. I think their rankings are way off, as I've suggested earlier. I think that juniors Taylor Lewan, Luke Joeckel and Bruce Matthews will end up being rated much higher. And Oday Aboushi has nice footwork for a LT prospect.

A good breakdown of the 2013 prospects from the national championship game:

Scouting the 2013 NFL Draft: LSU v. Alabama – BCS National Title | Buffalo Bills Draft

That matchup was littered with NFL prospects and will continue to be so. Its unfortunate that LSU doesn't have Georgia on its schedule this coming year, as that would be a great game to get a feel for how the players will perform on the next level.

Here's LSU's schedule:

2012 LSU Tigers Football Schedule

And Georgia's:

2012 Georgia Bulldogs Football Schedule

NE Patriots Draft looks at 2013 prospects from the Georgia-Michigan St. Outback Bowl game:

GEORGIA

#29 LB Jarvis Jones*

-Standing up at DE/OLB.
-Quick off the ball, cut down, but still gets pressure on QB.
-Tries inside move, RT sticks with him.
-Sheds weak block attempt by TE and makes his way into backfield.
-Can’t get around Fonoti on the right side of the o-line.
-Able to dip his shoulder and bend around the edge.
-Jarring chuck at the line, catches receiver off guard.
-Lightning quick around the corner, QB steps up to avoid him.
-Dips in and swims outside, just took too long.
-Unblocked, blows up QB as he pitches ball.
-Loses contain on bootleg.
-So quick off the ball, all RT can do is to put a hand on him.
-Nearly gets to the QB on blitz, then lays huge block after interception.
-Attempts inside swim move, stoned by Fonoti.
-Called for offside penalty, jumped early.
-Blitzes A-gap, big hit and QB pressure.
-Phenomenal first step, beats LT off the ball, forces throw away and delivers big hit.
-Late getting out to the flat, RB catches ball for big first down.

Overview: Didn’t actually make a ton of plays (just one tackle), but pressured the quarterback and made the Spartans account for him at all times. Teams will need to gameplan for Jones each week.

#83 LB Cornelius Washington
-Standing up at DE/OLB.
-Fights off cut block by FB, strings play out and makes tackle at the sideline.
-Slow off the ball, content to be blocked and get his hand in passing lane.
-Hand down, explodes off the ball. Gains edge on LT and turns corner well.
-Sets the edge, forces play back in to his help.
-Great punch, keeps outside arm clean. Pressures QB on bull rush.
-Another powerful bull rush, takes the LT and RB for a ride.
-Gains edge on the RT, QB steps up to evade him.
-Drops into coverage on fire zone.
-Got the edge again on RT, but can’t get to the QB.
-Quick off the ball this time, rips underneath outside shoulder and pressures QB.

#18 S Baccari Rambo

-Playing deep safety and on some coverage units.
-Good timing, hits WR as he is catching ball.
-Awful tackle attempt, weak shoulder.
-Not a lot of hustle, some pretty lazy plays in pursuit.
-Another awful play, didn’t help on tackle, watched as RB plowed for a first down.
-Smith and Rambo blow coverage, let TE run free for 2pt conversion.
-Takes glancing blow during play and holds his hand… play is still going and he is worried about a boo-boo.
-Really looks like he doesn’t want to get hurt.
-Shoe-string tackle on WR to save touchdown.
-Feeble diving attempt on WR, misses tackle – tying touchdown scores.
-Huge interception, jumps post route from cover three and makes the catch. Questionable contact before catch.

Overview: Rambo didn’t look tough, strong, or anything else that I want to see out of an NFL safety. He made one big play in overtime, but other than that, I have nothing positive to say.

Overview: Had a very similar game to Jones. Not much of a direct impact (1 tackle), but you could feel his presence on a lot of plays. Not quite as explosive as Jones, but they share some similar traits.

#6 DL Jonathan Jenkins

-Lined up as a 1-tech DT.
-Looks very tough to move off the ball.
-Doubled by RT/RG angle block, moved off his spot.
-Doubled, hustles down the field chasing QB.
-Anchoring well, impossible to move without double team.
-Showing an average bull-rush, no other pass-rush threat being shown.
-Nice hands picking off tipped ball, doesn’t quit on plays.
-Injured, off the field for overtimes.

Overview: Again, not much production (zero tackles), but Jenkins size forced the Spartans to spend two blockers on him. He will be a top DT/NT prospect for the 2013 NFL Draft. Had a good motor and made a wonderful interception.

#99 DL Kwame Geathers*

-Lined up as DT/NT – didn’t see him in first half.
-Blown off ball by double team.
-Fights off single block, assists on tackle inside.
-Pad level too high off the snap, pushed back by center.
-No push in pass-rush, dropping off and trying to clog passing lanes.
-Hasn’t loafed on a play that I’ve seen, pursuing to the sideline.
-Sheds block but can’t make arm tackle on RB.

Overview: Took over for Jenkins when he was injured. Showed good effort and hustled to the ball on each play. Didn’t do much in the passing game, but he and Jenkins will be very tough to run against in 2012.

MICHIGAN STATE

#2 DE William Gholston

-Playing RDE and LDE.
-Chopped down to the ground by RB cut block.
-Walled off by Orson Charles.
-Offsides penalty.
-Fumble recovery and return for a few yards.
-Big sack on third down, power move followed by spin.
-Pad level is way too high, blown off the ball by Charles.
-Too far out in front of himself, falls down as Charles pulls the chair.
-Doubled, held his own and kept an arm free to try and influence pass.
-Tries outside speed rush on Glenn, no chance as Glenn stays on his line.
-Handled by Charles on edge again, can’t set the edge.
-Leaps over cut-block attempt by RB.
-End/tackle stunt, lays out Murray as he throws – big, clean hit.
-Getting way too high at times, letting TE and RT get under his pads.
-End/tackle stunt again, tackled by OL, could have been a holding penalty.
-Nice club move, forces help to come his way.
-Drops into coverage in zone blitz.
-Power move outside to gain the edge, closes on QB and makes the sack.

Overview: Gholston got better as the game went on, finishing with his best play of the night. Showed some great athleticism and power, but was sloppy with his pad-level. Reminds me a bit of Quinton Coples at times. Seven tackles and two sacks is a pretty good bowl game.

Scouting the 2013 NFL Draft: Georgia vs Michigan State | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

FWIW. Just based on their comments from this 1 game, John Jenkins sounds like the most intriguing guy to me. A space eater who chews up double teams with good hustle, footwork and athleticism. They aren't nearly as high on Baccari Rambo as ZoisKing, to put it mildly. Cornelius Washington sounds more to BB's taste than Jarvis Jones, but neither really fits with the current approach.

Nice overview of Georgia's 2013 defense:

"I always try to tell the guys we've got all the talent in the world," rising senior defensive end Abry Jones said. "Every time we go out to practice, I tell them we should shoot to be the best defensive line not only in the SEC but in the country."

Georgia's improvement up front -- particularly in the middle, with the emergence of nose guards John Jenkins and Kwame Geathers -- helped transform the Bulldogs into one of the stingiest defenses in the country.
Both players are back to plug the center of the line, creating opportunities for their defensive ends and linebackers to more easily make plays. Moreover, the two nose guards rank among the Bulldogs' most consistent performers this spring.

"Two of the guys that have been very impressive have been Kwame and John Jenkins," coach Mark Richt said after Saturday's scrimmage. "You've got two of the biggest nose guards around and maybe two of the better ones around, too. They're making it tough on our centers. Even if our centers do everything right, they're still just big, strong guys who know what they're doing and are just penetrating into the backfield quite often."

Jenkins, however, feels as though he has more improvements to make. Most notably, he believes he can be a much more effective player if he drops approximately 20 pounds from his 345-pound frame. "For myself, I took [from the first spring scrimmage] that I need to come a little harder," Jenkins said. "I need to get down to where I want to be as far as weight wise, because I want to be able to move everywhere on the line. I'm trying to be real dominant next year, so I just took it as I have a lot of work to do during the summer." Were he and Geathers to maintain their production from last season -- or exceed it  and the defensive ends follow suit, the Bulldogs' line would become truly dangerous.

Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham shifted outside linebackers Cornelius Washington and Ray Drew this spring to end, where they will have the knowledge base to split time between the two positions in the fall. The duo should make an instant impact as pass-rushers -- although Washington admits he still has a lot to figure out in his new position. "I'm always covered up and it has the element of you trying to figure out where blocks are going to come from," Washington said. "That's not always so easy, the way linemen are, always trying to disguise what they're going to do. So just figuring that out has been the hardest part about it." The transitional hiccups notwithstanding, adding Washington and Drew's pass-rushing skills to the mix with more traditional ends like Jones and Garrison Smith -- who also won praise from Grantham this week for his spring performances -- will bring to the line versatility and depth, which did not exist a season ago.

The Bulldogs' line contributed just 8.5 of the team's 35 sacks, so it could potentially make an enormous difference in 2012 if Georgia's defensive linemen are more productive pass-rushers. For purposes of comparison, linemen from the SEC's top pass-rushing defense, LSU, had 28.5 sacks.

"I feel like we can definitely stop the run, and bringing Cornelius and Ray down there, that should definitely help us with pass rush to get us a little more exposure just like they did at LSU. They had a pass-rushing defensive line," Jones said. "So we're definitely shooting for that goal. I think we know if we can be the best defensive line in the SEC, that gives us a good chance to get to the SEC championship. But definitely if we're the best defensive line in the country, that can get us to the higher goal that we're trying to reach, which is the national championship."

Kwame Geathers, John Jenkins anchor ever-improving Georgia Bulldogs defensive line - ESPN

Possibly the most interesting front 7 in the country this year, along with LSU.

More on the Jenkins-Geathers tandem:

After Todd Grantham was hired as Georgia’s defensive coordinator in 2010, he went about installing a brand new 3-4 defensive system.
For Grantham’s new style to be successful, he knew he had to find at least one Bulldog capable of taking on the demands of the nose guard position. In his third spring with the team, the former Dallas Cowboys coach now has two players capable of matching up with the best offensive lines in the Southeastern Conference in Kwame Geathers and John Jenkins.

“I think those guys they’ve really improved,” Grantham said. “They’re big [and] they’re physical. I think they’ve taken the approach they’re going to try and make themselves better and by making themselves better, they take a team attitude. [That means] our team is better. I’ve been pleased with those guys.” The defensive coordinator hasn’t been the only one noticing the play of Geathers and Jenkins. Georgia head coach Mark Richt gave the two nose guards special praise a week before the G-Day game. “You’ve got probably two of the biggest nose guards around and maybe two of the better ones around to,” Richt said last Saturday. “They’re making it tough on our centers … even if our centers do everything right. They’re still just big, strong guys that know what they’re doing and are just penetrating into the backfield quite often.”

During the 2011 season, Jenkins tallied 28 total tackles with three sacks and six tackles for loss while Geathers had 14 total tackles on the year.
Richt said this disparity in stats can be attributed to Grantham and defensive line coach Rodney Garner devising packages that see both players on the field at the same time. Grantham said he hasn’t had the luxury of being able to play two nose guards who are as talented as Jenkins and Geathers before, even in the NFL.

John’s an athletic guy that can move out and play end,” Grantham said. “It’s just another example of trying to get the next best guy in the game and John’s done that for us a little bit.”

The ability to develop players that can play multiple positions has been a theme of the Bulldogs’ spring practices, and the defensive coordinator said that this mentality is no different with Jenkins and Geathers. “We’ll continue to move guys around,” Grantham said. “Develop them and get the next guy in the game.”

Coaches heap praise on progress from nose guards Jenkins, Geathers | The Red and Black

I first had Jenkins tagged as a prospect of interest a year ago, but he got off to a slow start adjusting from JUCO ball to the SEC. He seemed to take off at the end of last year. For a mammoth guy who chews up double teams and is tough to move off the ball he has surprising athleticism, somewhat like Vince Wilfork. I'd be quite content for Kwame Geathers to get the press and keep Jenkins a bit under the radar, though as Todd McShay's twitter attests, it will be very hard to keep him hidden for very long.

What really lights up my Radar about John Jenkins is his intention to burn off 20 pounds.

As you may've noticed in our voluminous private correspondence, Brother Mayo, I have migrated South, somewhat, in the POUNDAGE of my Optimum SuperBeast, and 325 Pounds ~ Jenkins's target, if he drops 20 of his 345 ~ would bring him RIGHT into the Sweet Spot of my Radar!! :rocker:

~ I don't just want guys who can take on Double Teams.

~ I want guys who require Double Teams.

~ And I believe that ~ once you get North of 325 pounds ~ your weight, regardless of your Athletic Prowess, becomes a burden...and I believe that you become less of a constant threat to penetrate...to disrupt...to play Lights Out for 60 minutes...and, ultimately, to last in this League.

I want guys in the Trenches who're light enough on their feet to constantly threaten that penetration and that disruption, and who're athletic enough to do so for 60 minutes...and who can be expected to play day in and day out for 10 years or more...because their weight isn't a threat to their knees or the rest of'm.

In short, I want my Defensive Tackles to be Explosive, Athletic, Durable...and, of course: ENORMOUS.

I want...SuperBeasts!!

And for me, the Sweet Spot is between 315 and 325 Pounds.

I agree 100%.

The fundamental distinction, as you and I have discussed in the past, is between MASS and CORE STRENGTH. People tend to equate them, but they are entirely different. To succeed at DT you need both, but they need to be balanced. And to have movement skills and quickness as well requires an even more delicate balance.

Ron Brace is a good example of a guy who has more than adequate mass at 6'3" 330# but who lacks core strength, and tends to get pushed around. He's not a pushover because of his mass, but he's never developed the core strength to be dominant. Remember Justin Smith tossing around OLs in the NFCCG last year like they were rag dolls? Smith has much less mass than Brace, but he has phenomenal core strength, and he plays with more functional strength and power than most 3-4 DEs 20-40 lbs. heavier.

Mass IS important, too. There are players with exceptional core strength for their size, but without adequate mass they can't take the pounding and match up with behemoth OLs. Smaller players tend to get worn down by the constant wear and tear of the trenches. Justin Smith couldn't hold up playing DT for a season.

But there is also clearly a point at which additional mass doesn't add much if a player has adequate core strength, and only interferes with movement and agility. And that point is probably somewhere between 325-335 lbs., with very rare exceptions. There will be some variability based on height and frame, of course. Kwame Geathers may be another Ted Washington and play north of 350# effetively, but if so he would be the exceptional. Even huge guys like Terrance Cody have struggled at higher weight in the pros, where they are matched up against linemen with great core strength (it's easier to dominant in the college ranks based on pure size). I think there may be a little more range than you suggest, but I agree that it's very difficult to find guys over 330# who have much in the way of quickness and movement skills. Haloti Ngata dropped from 345#+ to 330# last year, and it clearly showed in his quickness and disruption:

Ravens' Haloti Ngata drops pounds, gains a step | OregonLive.com

However, some people have suggested that Ngata got worn down a bit in 2011 at the lighter weight, and that his play dropped off in the second half of the season as a result. Again, it's a delicate balance. But above 340 lbs. it's probably hard for almost any player to have optimal agility and quickness. Like you, I'm thrilled with the idea of a John Jenkins in the 325-330# range and improved quickness - though I'd prefer that he wait until after the Pats draft him in the 2nd-3rd round to make that change.

What really lights up my Radar about John Jenkins is his intention to burn off 20 pounds.

As you may've noticed in our voluminous private correspondence, Brother Mayo, I have migrated South, somewhat, in the POUNDAGE of my Optimum SuperBeast, and 325 Pounds ~ Jenkins's target, if he drops 20 of his 345 ~ would bring him RIGHT into the Sweet Spot of my Radar!! :rocker:

~ I don't just want guys who can take on Double Teams.

~ I want guys who require Double Teams.

~ And I believe that ~ once you get North of 325 pounds ~ your weight, regardless of your Athletic Prowess, becomes a burden...and I believe that you become less of a constant threat to penetrate...to disrupt...to play Lights Out for 60 minutes...and, ultimately, to last in this League.

I want guys in the Trenches who're light enough on their feet to constantly threaten that penetration and that disruption, and who're athletic enough to do so for 60 minutes...and who can be expected to play day in and day out for 10 years or more...because their weight isn't a threat to their knees or the rest of'm.

In short, I want my Defensive Tackles to be Explosive, Athletic, Durable...and, of course: ENORMOUS.

I want...SuperBeasts!!

And for me, the Sweet Spot is between 315 and 325 Pounds.

I think Keith Price from Washington could be a sleeper

Hope he has a good season. The oline has looked quite shaky this spring though so he may be throwing on the run a lot this season.

Haven't seen him mentioned yet but I'd keep an eye on junior WR Marquess Wilson from WSU. Had 86 rec 1388 yds and 12 tds last year. I imagine he can't have any worse numbers with WSU now running the pirate offense. 6'3" probably needs to add another 15-20lbs.

Marquess Wilson 2011 Highlights - YouTube

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back