PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That long bomb with 6:00 to go in the 4th...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was nothing wrong with the play call, it was Brady's decision to throw the ball that was very questionable.

Matt Slater was the #1 target on that play. Matt Slater.

The notion that nothing was wrong with that play call is ridiculous.

Just generally speaking when a team gets a turnover (like the Pats did just before that play) often they'll immediately "go for the jugular" in an effort to decisively shift momentum and kill the opponent's will to fight.

That being said, Brady should have never thrown that ball. The Ravens totally saw it coming and Slater was double covered. Which meant someone else was open. Maybe more than one someone. Brady shouldn't have decided before the ball was even snapped that he was going to Slater no matter what.

I don't have problem with the playcall. I have a problem with the execution.

PS - But I agree that BO'B often sucked in this game. Just not that specific time.

Last edited:
Didn`t like the call, but I think the throw was poor. If he leads Slater more to (Tom`s) left, it might be 6 points, but Slater had to adjust back to the middle towards the coverage.

Just generally speaking when a team gets a turnover (like the Pats did just before that play) often they'll immediately "go for the jugular" in an effort to decisively shift momentum and kill the opponent's will to fight.

That being said, Brady should have never thrown that ball. The Ravens totally saw it coming and Slater was double covered. Which meant someone else was open. Maybe more than one someone. Brady shouldn't have decided before the ball was even snapped that he was going to Slater no matter what.

I don't have problem with the playcall. I have a problem with the execution.

PS - But I agree that BO'B often sucked in this game. Just not that specific time.

They were moving the ball fine against the ravens.. Its not like they had to go over the top with a 50 yard bomb. I hated the call when it happend and I really hated it when he got picked off. I think that was Slater's only play of the day. To me it was an odd call.. And I thought that was going to cost us the game.

BJGE was averaging over 4.5 yards a carry...throw to your 6th best receiver into double coverage? I was there for the game...Brady had a bad game....left plays out there all over the place...seems to speak volumes about the REAL nature of this team...it's NOT "Pats are just BB and Brady...blab blah blah puke vomit..."...this is basically a young growing T-E-A-M...I sincerely hope that Brady has his A game for the Supe and this young D let's loose a season's worth of frustrations out on Ecry and the G-men

BJGE was averaging over 4.5 yards a carry...throw to your 6th best receiver into double coverage? I was there for the game...Brady had a bad game....left plays out there all over the place...seems to speak volumes about the REAL nature of this team...it's NOT "Pats are just BB and Brady...blab blah blah puke vomit..."...this is basically a young growing T-E-A-M...I sincerely hope that Brady has his A game for the Supe and this young D let's loose a season's worth of frustrations out on Ecry and the G-men

So now we are basically 14-0 when Brady has an above average game and 1-3 when he doesn't. Don't kid yourself, he's still the most important player on the field by an imeasurably high margin.

Sorry Andy, I am not sure that you can say that the GOAT was responsible for the team winning today. Poor decisions lad to four turnovers (two overturned).
The ones overturned were due to the penalty. If Welker wasn't held its complete not a ricochet, and the other was a free play heave. It doesnt get thrown without the penalty.

The last one (the subject of the OP) being bailed out by a missed FG does not confer greatness to our QB, it simply bails him out.
Did he not lead 5 scoring drives against a top 3 defense? How was that Int any different than a punt to be 'bailed out of'?

That being said, if our team can win against top competition while playing a mistake-ridden game, I like our chances if we show up and play like Patriots in two weeks.

But again, the point here is that this was the FIRST POST made by that poster after the Patriots won the AFCC. If thats fine by you, you should have discussions with him, not me.

Didn't realize Matt Slater was even a bona fide wide receiver.

It really makes you wonder that the New England Patriots cut Brandon Tate for Chad Ochocinco.

Didn't realize Matt Slater was even a bona fide wide receiver.

It really makes you wonder that the New England Patriots cut Brandon Tate for Chad Ochocinco.

Brandon Tate didn't have a single catch this year.

Matt Slater was the #1 target on that play. Matt Slater.

The notion that nothing was wrong with that play call is ridiculous.

Not only that, but it was almost borderline triple coverage. There were 3 DB's within a 5 yd cushion on the play. It was closer to triple coverage than double, although it could be argued.

The play call itself was one of the worst of the season. It was extremely predictable, and took all of the momentum away from the Spikes INT. All of it.

On top of all that, it came at an extremely crucial point of the game, with 1/2 a quarter to go, with the ball at midfield. It was the perfect opportunity to close the game out. They're damn lucky that they got a bit of luck today, and that didn't come back to bite them in the ass.

Everything about that whole scenario was sheer stupidity.

So now we are basically 14-0 when Brady has an above average game and 1-3 when he doesn't. Don't kid yourself, he's still the most important player on the field by an imeasurably high margin.

Going by QBR that'd be more like 12-1 and 3-2. However they're 1-0 when he sucks, which even the most optimistic of us wouldn't have expected. It was a pleasant surprise to see them pull off a W under such circumstances. Brady's clearly the most important player, but this game shows that there is more to the team than just him.

Not only that, but it was almost borderline triple coverage. There were 3 DB's within a 5 yd cushion on the play. It was closer to triple coverage than double, although it could be argued.

The play call itself was one of the worst of the season. It was extremely predictable, and took all of the momentum away from the Spikes INT. All of it.

On top of all that, it came at an extremely crucial point of the game, with 1/2 a quarter to go, with the ball at midfield. It was the perfect opportunity to close the game out. They're damn lucky that they got a bit of luck today, and that didn't come back to bite them in the ass.

Everything about that whole scenario was sheer stupidity.
Alot more running plays for BJGE and alot less offensive snaps for Matt Slater. Alot less offensive snaps for Matt Slater means NONE in my book.

Alot more running plays for BJGE and alot less offensive snaps for Matt Slater. Alot less offensive snaps for Matt Slater means NONE in my book.

damn...that's a short azzed book...what, less than half a page?..let me guess...Page 1..."No"...The End

Stupid play! we killed about 10sec of clock on that
as well

Why beat around the bush?

One would have to have a very strong feeling that as soon as the Ravens saw Slater line up, the first thing they thought of was "he's going deep."

Ridiculously stupid call, and at the absolute worst time.

One would have to have a very strong feeling that as soon as the Ravens saw Slater line up, the first thing they thought of was "he's going deep."

Ridiculously stupid call, and at the absolute worst time.
Probably the worst offensive play call this season for the New England Patriots offense considering what was at stake.

I think the play call of sending someone deep was fine.

Not liking that it was Slater -- a guy who has shown nothing at receiver during his time here. Would rather they have sent branch/welker/hernandez

Brady had time in the pocket to let the play develop, so watching the tv, I was okay with him releasing the ball until -- I saw the double/triple coverage. That was an awful decision. He should've only thrown it deep if it was single coverage and if Slater had beaten the DB.

The inability for the Offense to close out the game given two opportunities is a bit troublesome.

Sorry, but I don't think that one is on Tom. There was no "read" to be made. Just a simple play-action bomb called by the OC to try to catch the Ravens completely off guard. Brady was going to chuck it regardless.

I was saying the whole time "don't get cute here." Just a really bad play call in that situation, nothing more.

So the other receivers didn't have routes to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe