PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thank God For Laurence Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree, there are many backs that ARE that guy. Here's just a few, some are rookies or in their 2nd year.

LT
Addai (2nd)
Peterson (R)
M Lynch (R)
W Parker
McGahee
R Brown
L Johnson
R Johnson
B Westbrook
C Williams (2nd)
S Jackson
F Gore

Anyone running behind Denver's Oline

Addai? Go take a look at the career longs of Addai and Maroney. People here have allowed 2 clueless posters to completely overrule any semblance of reason when it comes to Maroney. It's been interesting to watch how easily the sheep have been swayed, I will say that.

Addai? Go take a look at the career longs of Addai and Maroney. People here have allowed 2 clueless posters to completely overrule any semblance of reason when it comes to Maroney. It's been interesting to watch how easily the sheep have been swayed, I will say that.

Addai is NOT vastly superior to Maroney???????????

Addai is NOT vastly superior to Maroney???????????

Addai YPC this year: 4.2
Maroney YPC this year: 4.3

Addia has certainly been a lot healthier, but it's anybodies guess how that will change in the future. last year he played in a much, much better offense than the Pats so that helped his #'s.

I mean, going forward I would take Addai, but it's not as big a gap as you think.

by advanced metrics: Addai 18.1% DVOA, Maroney 16.8%. again, health aside, Addai gets only a small edge

Last edited:

Addia has certainly been a lot healthier, but it's anybodies guess how that will change in the future. last year he played in a much, much better offense than the Pats so that helped his #'s.

I mean, going forward I would take Addai, but it's not as big a gap as you think.

by advanced metrics: Addai 18.1% DVOA, Maroney 16.8%. again, health aside, Addai gets only a small edge

The Addai myth has been smashed several times before. That doesn't matter to NSA because he's about trolling and not about truth.

LOL!!! Kevin Faulk 4.4 and LoMo 4.3. You can play the YPC stat all you want. You guys are incredibie, LOL!

Last night notwithstanding, Addai has also proven himself a better pass receiver, though; while the Patriots have Faulk, it'd be nice for Maroney to emerge as a threat out of the backfield. Last night appears to have been a step in the right direction. Let's hope the trend can continue moving forward.

Re: Than God For Laurence Maroney

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of Maroney.
He DID contribute tonight. It was one of his better games.
The plays he made in the passing game were really big plays.
It looks like he is dangerous when he gets into the open field, but I think we already knew that. The problem is getting him to that spot.

If Maroney can improve his route running and catching, he's going to become a much better player for us. I hope he can build on what he did this game, but let's not get carried away. On the ground, he was still medicore.

But at least the Pats intentionally tried to involve Maroney on the ground more often this game. I asked for 15-20 touches, and Maroney got 13 touches on the ground and 2 catches through the air.
Maroney still has a lot to prove, particularly on the ground, which is where we need him to play well the most.

Just look at the difference between McGahee running the football this game, and Maroney, and you see just how far Maroney has to go. Try to build on this game young man. You're going to need to step up against the Steelers too.

Here's my read on Maroney's performance.

- Running. Still looking tentative out there. Plays often take too long to develop. He doesn't attack the line the way Faulk does. But he still manages to pick up decent yardage. Needs improvement, though.

- Blocking. Maroney's best game blocking EVER. Starting to look like Faulk out there.

- Passing. Maroney is a poor route runner. POOR. He can't get separation at all and his hands are more Russ Hochstein than Randy Moss. If you can get the ball to him in wide open space, he's electric.... But it takes him a while to make the catch, turn, and get up steam. Luckily, that's exactly what happened on his two big plays.

The reason we don't see Maroney in the passing game more is that Faulk is elite in this situation and Maroney is average at best. That being said, I think McDaniels needs to work him in more in this way, otherwise the defense just keys off his presence in the backfield.

Ofcourse he's playing against one of the best defences again the run but there was a few times he was a little tentative last night. He was a little frustrating at time for me.

The Laurence Maroney that rushed for under 50 yards and a 3.3 YPC?

Yeah, he was phenomenal tonight. :rolleyes: Our lack of a quality running game didn't have a lot to do with the ridiculous pressure on Brady.:rolleyes:

You guys are crazy. You'll defend the wallpaper on the Titanic while it's sinking just to prove your point. Maroney's going to be a good Kevin Faulk. A #2 back and pass catcher. He'll never carry the whole load.

You sir are a complete idiot. It is that clear and simple. Can you even read? If the Ravens are giving up an average of 2.8 yards a carry and Maroney goes for 3.3, HE IS ABOVE THE FREAKIN AVERAGE YOU ******. Why can't you get this?

NEWSFLASH: GET THIS MORON!!!! WE WOULD NOT HAVE WON LAST NIGHT IF MARONEY DID NOT STEP UP. You cannot deny that FACT. If you do, you will be consistent with every other idiotic post you have made.

The only one who is crazy is you. You are a troll and can't tell a football play from your used toilet paper.

I have to agree here. He looked like crap running the ball (Faulk looked significantly better) until the Ravens played off the line because they were afraid of Brady throwing the ball.

I love how people attribute this to a deficiency in LoMar's game but fail to acknowledge the TERRIBLE performance of the OL run-blocking last night. Maroney did all that he could with that ridiculous jumble of OL and DL last night. But you guys want to blame HIM for that mess.

He had nowhere to run, but he did what you guys are CONSTANTLY wailing at him to do - he hit the hole and got what he could. Unbelievable how disingenuous some people can be. None of us is arguing that LoMar's perfect or that he hasn't been disappointing, but the vitriol directed at him is so deeply overstated and unbalanced - and TOTALLY unrealistic. He was a big reason we won last night. I don't see why it's such a tough thing for the haters to at least give him some credit for that obvious fact.

You sir are a complete idiot. It is that clear and simple. Can you even read? If the Ravens are giving up an average of 2.8 yards a carry and Maroney goes for 3.3, HE IS ABOVE THE FREAKIN AVERAGE YOU ******. Why can't you get this?

NEWSFLASH: GET THIS MORON!!!! WE WOULD NOT HAVE WON LAST NIGHT IF MARONEY DID NOT STEP UP. You cannot deny that FACT. If you do, you will be consistent with every other idiotic post you have made.

The only one who is crazy is you. You are a troll and can't tell a football play from your used toilet paper.

He's not cut out to be a feature back. Period. Thanks for playing.

I love how people attribute this to a deficiency in LoMar's game but fail to acknowledge the TERRIBLE performance of the OL run-blocking last night. Maroney did all that he could with that ridiculous jumble of OL and DL last night. But you guys want to blame HIM for that mess.

He had nowhere to run, but he did what you guys are CONSTANTLY wailing at him to do - he hit the hole and got what he could. Unbelievable how disingenuous some people can be. None of us is arguing that LoMar's perfect or that he hasn't been disappointing, but the vitriol directed at him is so deeply overstated and unbalanced - and TOTALLY unrealistic. He was a big reason we won last night. I don't see why it's such a tough thing for the haters to at least give him some credit for that obvious fact.

So the o-line magically blocks better for Kevin Faulk?:rolleyes:

Dude you should be banned. Every single one of your posts you are calling somebody a moron, ******, idiot, and ***clown. EVERY SINGLE POST.

So the o-line magically blocks better for Kevin Faulk?:rolleyes:

No. But they do think "pass" when Faulk is out there and "run" when LoMar's out there. This is, in part, a matter of unfortunately predictable season-long playcalling, as well. Yours is a really simplistic and childish and raw perspective on a very complicated game. You seem hell-bent on just BASHING the guy instead of giving a fair and objective and BALANCED viewpoint.

At this juncture, WE KNOW YOU DON'T LIKE MARONEY. That you think he's TERRIBLE and will never be a full-time back. Fine. Stipulated. But do you have to hijack and RUIN every single thread on the guy?

This is supposed to be about Maroney's performance LAST NIGHT. He played a significant role in a big win. He got tough yards where there were NO HOLES due to a sieve-like performance by the OL, PARTICULARLY when he was in there and Baltimore assumed run. These are not complex ideas I'm putting out there, NSA. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

Oh god, do you even watch football? I'll give you Peterson and Tomlinson, obviously. Addai, too, though he benefits from Manning just like Edge did. Westbrook, I'll give you.

Lynch, however, is a between the tackles banger, though a good one. Parker disappears for games on end. McGahee got run out of Buffalo by a mob. Ronnie Brown showed nothing until this year, then destroyed his knee. Larry Johnson's been pedestrian this year, at best, when not injured. Same for Steven Jackson. Rudi Johnson has been outshined by Kenny Watson; he's been terrible, as has Frank Gore. Cadillac Williams is chronically injured and has shown nothing of the sort of talent you're suggesting in his career.

If there's one bright spot to the Maroney business, it's that there's so many pedestrian running backs in the league that Maroney doesn't stick out that badly. The problem is, we used a first rounder on him, when a similar back like McGahee could've been had for a song, and guys who are as useful if not better are available in free agency like Sammy Morris, or in later rounds like Brian Westbrook or Frank Gore or so on. Using a first round pick on a running back was the mistake, not drafting Maroney in particular.

I'm the one that started this "Maroney isn't that guy" subtopic, and I've got to agree with the poster who said, be realistic, there's only ever 2 or three "that guys" in the league.

That's exactly my point. Add to that, that you want your RB to carry your running game for say, 10 years. Being "that guy," the truly elite back, is typically a bright flash that lasts 2-5 years out of that career.

I see Maroney as serviceable, needing improvement, and improving. I see his ceiling as not-yet-determined. Hence there is still upside there. I see his current performance as fine for your main guy - as has been pointed out, you can tell me all about Cadillac's name value, but try to tell me about his game value. It's a different story (unless you believe we can add Ernest Graham's performance this year as yards/TDs he "should have" got.)

The draft is a crap shoot. Learn that, live it, love it. When you turn up a reliable starter, who is playing his role well enough to not hurt the team, you work with that until there are no greater concerns. Run DMc simply seems too great a cost for the opportunity that same pick represents.

PFnV

I think that's fair. There's some RBs who are much better at pushing the pile, or getting something out of nothing, or breaking tackles. But you're right, the offensive line has been pretty poor blocking for the run this year. I don't think the tackles are particularly good at it, even if the interior linemen are road graders.

No. But they do think "pass" when Faulk is out there and "run" when LoMar's out there. This is, in part, a matter of unfortunately predictable season-long playcalling, as well. Yours is a really simplistic and childish and raw perspective on a very complicated game. You seem hell-bent on just BASHING the guy instead of giving a fair and objective and BALANCED viewpoint.

At this juncture, WE KNOW YOU DON'T LIKE MARONEY. That you think he's TERRIBLE and will never be a full-time back. Fine. Stipulated. But do you have to hijack and RUIN every single thread on the guy?

This is supposed to be about Maroney's performance LAST NIGHT. He played a significant role in a big win. He got tough yards where there were NO HOLES due to a sieve-like performance by the OL, PARTICULARLY when he was in there and Baltimore assumed run. These are not complex ideas I'm putting out there, NSA. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

Hijack what? This thread was a "gloat" thread directed at Maroney doubters like myself. I'm not allowed to state my opinion on the kid's play last night? Sorry, but I don't think he was all world last night. He played ok. However, Kevin Faulk ran much better between the tackles. I saw McGahee making something out of nothing on many runs. That's what the great ones do. LoMo never does.

Hijack what? This thread was a "gloat" thread directed at Maroney doubters like myself. I'm not allowed to state my opinion on the kid's play last night? Sorry, but I don't think he was all world last night. He played ok. However, Kevin Faulk ran much better between the tackles. I saw McGahee making something out of nothing on many runs. That's what the great ones do. LoMo never does.

""Hi I like to say the same thing over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over ...
And then I pretend to be a fan. :) "

"And I NEVER hijack threads."

Last edited:

There are the concerned.
There are the supporters.
There are the detractors.
And then there's National Sports Advisor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back