PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thank God For Laurence Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the Redskins game again the other night and Maroney looked fantastic when he was given the ball. Hope he can build on last night's performance and gain confidence from the staff and from himself. The biggest thing, imo, from last night (in terms of moving forward with more p-time) was his pass-protect. He did a really solid job.

You add so much to this discussion. Sorry, but you can pull the 6 year-old "put a finger in both ears" routine all you want. It doesn't take away from the fact that I am making legitemate points and the Maroney apologists have nothing but lame excuses to combat them.

Well, you evidently believe yourself capable of dispensing advise regarding Laurence Maroney, not to mention other matters of interest to sports fans.

What do you think is the best course of action given the present moment in time, regarding Laurence Maroney and the Patriots' running game? You're sort of putting the cart before the horse in this thread, giving the supporting "evidence" without really dwelling on a course of action you're suggesting. What do you recommend?

PFnV

Well, you evidently believe yourself capable of dispensing advise regarding Laurence Maroney, not to mention other matters of interest to sports fans.

What do you think is the best course of action given the present moment in time, regarding Laurence Maroney and the Patriots' running game? You're sort of putting the cart before the horse in this thread, giving the supporting "evidence" without really dwelling on a course of action you're suggesting. What do you recommend?

PFnV

NSA likes to use TDs as if they are somehow proof of a running back's talent, and he ignores ypc. By that measure, Barry Sanders really sucked in 1993 when he only scored 3 TD's. Of course, that stiff only had 7 TD's the next season. Man, Sanders was truly awful, huh?

NSA likes to use TDs as if they are somehow proof of a running back's talent, and he ignores ypc. By that measure, Barry Sanders really sucked in 1993 when he only scored 3 TD's. Of course, that stiff only had 7 TD's the next season. Man, Sanders was truly awful, huh?

Kevin Faulk has a 4.4 YPC this season. Is he better than Maroney? Maroney has a 4.3. Guess what, my friend. Was Peyton Manning better than Tom Brady the past 5 years because he had a better QB rating? Or was it because he played with more weapons? You guys constantly hang your hat on that YPC stat, while conveniently IGNORING the fact that Maroney was on the bench with the GAME ON THE LINE for a 4th and 1 with Heath Evans being considered the better option to pick up that yard. Do you honestly think Evans would be in the game if LT, LJ, Addai, McGahee, or a slew of other feature backs were on our team? Puhleaze.

I don't think anyone saw but Grizzafted saw Maroney drop two catchable balls last night.

I will admit to being possibly wrong here, but I could swear I saw him drop a screen pass and a dumpoff that was a mediocre throw. I'll check the tape tonight.

Kevin Faulk has a 4.4 YPC this season. Is he better than Maroney? Maroney has a 4.3. Guess what, my friend. Was Peyton Manning better than Tom Brady the past 5 years because he had a better QB rating? Or was it because he played with more weapons? You guys constantly hang your hat on that YPC stat, while conveniently IGNORING the fact that Maroney was on the bench with the GAME ON THE LINE for a 4th and 1 with Heath Evans being considered the better option to pick up that yard. Do you honestly think Evans would be in the game if LT, LJ, Addai, McGahee, or a slew of other feature backs were on our team? Puhleaze.

WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE

At least we all know what you're good at. Only you could WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINEWHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE
About a player that gained 123 yards.

So the o-line magically blocks better for Kevin Faulk?:rolleyes:

Do you not realize that Kevin Faulk has been mainly used as a receiving option, and he's one of the best receiving backs in the NFL? NE uses him for pass pro, while Maroney in general only comes into the game to run the ball, or set up play action passing.

I'll spell it out for you, the defense expects NE to pass when Faulk is in the game, and he's one of those receiving threats. Those same defenses seem to expect run when Maroney comes into the game, as evidenced by their run blitzing. This is why I've said for a while that Maroney needs to start getting in the game even when he's not going to run the ball, and that NE should start using him as a receiver more so the defenses won't be guesses run 80% of the time he's on the field. His blocking well in pass pro is a good sign, and his two receptions for 79 yards is another good sign NE might be able to start using him in a more varied role.

For the record, I was not impressed with his runs from scrimmage.
The pass receptions were great, but the runs?
Maybe I'm just looking for him to be a different type of runner than what he is. To me, he just did'nt appear to hit the hole with any authority. I thought he tippy-toed a lot.
Don't get me wrong, I like him, but I was'nt crazy about what I saw from him last night.

Maybe I'm just looking for him to be a different type of runner than what he is. To me, he just did'nt appear to hit the hole with any authority. I thought he tippy-toed a lot.
Don't get me wrong, I like him, but I was'nt crazy about what I saw from him last night.

You need to keep this in perspective:

he was key in passing game as a blocker and receiver. as a runner..what do u honestly expect against Ravens?

Willie Parker:
23 carries 42 yards 1.8 average

Rudi Johnson:
Game 1: 18 carries 52 yards 2.8 average
Game 2: 22 carries 46 yards 2.1 average

Ladainian Tomlinson
24 carries 77 yards 3.2 average

Thomas Jones
24 carries 67 yards 2.8 average

Edgerrin james
10 carries 57 yards 5.7 average

Frank Gore
16 carries 52 yards 3.3 average

Marshawn Lynch
27 carries 84 yards 3.1 average

Laurence Maroney
13 carries 44 yards 3.4 average

thats better than every "good/elite RB" besides James

We're all for objective concern. It's the full-blown Hate-on that NSA and Danny have. They say he sucks, stat say he doesn't, they repeat themselves. Over and over again.

Addai? Go take a look at the career longs of Addai and Maroney. People here have allowed 2 clueless posters to completely overrule any semblance of reason when it comes to Maroney. It's been interesting to watch how easily the sheep have been swayed, I will say that.

Sheep? hardly. I go by what I see, not what I *want* to see.

I see Addai shredding our Championship, 12-0, immaculate defense for 228 combined yards.

I see an offense designed against a blitz happy Philly team to overcome our lack of a consistent threat in the running game.

Without the wind conditions in yesterdays' game, Maroney doesn't approach his 13 carries, Duece. Anyone without blinders on can see that Addai is a more talented and mature running back. And as much as I hate to say it, he's tougher.

Step away from the Koolaid, Duece.

Bahhhhhhh.

Sheep? hardly. I go by what I see, not what I *want* to see.

I see Addai shredding our Championship, 12-0, immaculate defense for 228 combined yards.

I see an offense designed against a blitz happy Philly team to overcome our lack of a consistent threat in the running game.

Without the wind conditions in yesterdays' game, Maroney doesn't approach his 13 carries, Duece. Anyone without blinders on can see that Addai is a more talented and mature running back. And as much as I hate to say it, he's tougher.

Step away from the Koolaid, Duece.

Bahhhhhhh.

Thank You. Well said. Agree 100%.

Maybe I'm just looking for him to be a different type of runner than what he is. To me, he just did'nt appear to hit the hole with any authority.

WHAT HOLE?????????? This is a huge part of the problem with this line of thinking. There often WAS no hole last night. The OL was awful. I thought he did a commendable job, especially considering the putrid play of Light, Kaczur and the gang.

Last edited:
WHAT HOLE?????????? This is a huge part of the problem with this line of thinking. There often WAS no hole last night. The OL was awful. I thought he did a commendable job, especially considering the putrid play of Light, Kaczur and the gang.

How come Kevin Faulk found room to run? How come Evans ran it into the end zone from the one? Good lord. Sometimes you have to make your own hole!! McGahee did plenty of times. The truly elite backs do. Hell ANYBODY could play running back if there was always a hole. Sometimes you need to make your own hole and find running room. Kevin Faulk was excellent at it last night.

Last edited:
How come Kevin Faulk found room to run? How come Evans ran it into the end zone from the one? Good lord. Sometimes you have to make your own hole!! McGahee did plenty of times. The truly elite backs do. Hell ANYBODY could play running back if there was always a hole. Sometimes you need to make your own hole and find running room. Kevin Faulk was excellent at it last night.

WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE

At least we all know what you're good at. Only you could WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINEWHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE

Thank You. Well said. Agree 100%.

I still don't see your "National Sports Advise" on what to do at this juncture vis a vis Maroney, NSA. Try to focus on this question. I want answers, not a namecalling fight. I do believe you're way off base, as I stated before, but I'm giving you a chance to suggest alternatives. Pretend I'm Belioli and you're entrusted to evaluate Maroney and give recommendations. Give me options.

PFnV

You add so much to this discussion. Sorry, but you can pull the 6 year-old "put a finger in both ears" routine all you want. It doesn't take away from the fact that I am making legitemate points and the Maroney apologists have nothing but lame excuses to combat them.

At the same time, you've systematicly ignored every post that has brought meat to "combat" you.

The DVOA post. PFnV's post, which should be a sticky on it's own, etc.

You consistently re-hash your vitriol against those who you are now complaining about without ever evolving with those who are building on the topic.

I still don't see your "National Sports Advise" on what to do at this juncture vis a vis Maroney, NSA. Try to focus on this question. I want answers, not a namecalling fight. I do believe you're way off base, as I stated before, but I'm giving you a chance to suggest alternatives. Pretend I'm Belioli and you're entrusted to evaluate Maroney and give recommendations. Give me options.

PFnV

I'll bite on that. Call Corey Dillon and give him a workout, and if he's in game shape use him in the playoffs. Give him 5-8 carries a game as needed, and continue to use Maroney but with less expectation that he's going to be the #1 back. In the offseason, consider whether you think Sammy Morris is capable of being the #1 guy; if not, either draft McFadden or look around the market a little bit. From that point onward, use Maroney for what he is: a potential replacement for Kevin Faulk as the years go on. But don't kid yourself into thinking that overnight he's going to become a 100 yard a game guy.

I'll bite on that. Call Corey Dillon and give him a workout, and if he's in game shape use him in the playoffs. Give him 5-8 carries a game as needed, and continue to use Maroney but with less expectation that he's going to be the #1 back. In the offseason, consider whether you think Sammy Morris is capable of being the #1 guy; if not, either draft McFadden or look around the market a little bit. From that point onward, use Maroney for what he is: a potential replacement for Kevin Faulk as the years go on. But don't kid yourself into thinking that overnight he's going to become a 100 yard a game guy.

Ya, what he ^^^^ said. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents