PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tentative Deal Reached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats726 said:
It has been rather nauseating in many ways do you not think?? Or is it smooth to you??? Just wondering...
I don't think the Patriots have been as effected as others by these non-negotiations as they are under the cap..but that is because they are quite smart and looking ahead. Most comments about the negotiations are a bit broader in perspective than just how it affects the Patriots..I think many are concerned with what kind of an NFL is going to come out of these talks CBA yes or no. It is what is is..and pushing ahead will change the NFL to me NOT for the better. Yes, I think either way the Pats are in great shape, but will the NFL be headed to the mess baseball is?? Will it keep teams competitive?? That to me is important.

If they don't have a lock out in 2008, it will take about 8 to 10 years before you start to see the landscape of the NFL change with the big vs small market teams. You have to get past the current contracts that everyone is working under right now, so it will take a while before the ripple effect plays out. I just hope the get this stuff worked out and don't screw up a good thing.

Tunescribe said:
What they really need is Lombardi back from the grave to straighten things out: "What the hell's goin' on out there?! Everybody's gabbin', nobody's compromising! Gab, gab, gab!"

Good takeoff on Lombardi's "Grab, grab, grab" (nobody's tackling out there). "What we're looking for is a seal heah, and a seal heah."

Personally, I dont think this latest news is any great portender of resolution on Tuesday. I think we just kicked the can down the road another 3 days in the negotiation strategies.

Just check out the 2 different takes on what is going on...........

NFLPA:
"The NFL negotiators called us tonight after our negotiations broke off to indicate that they will take our complete package to the owners for an approval vote on Tuesday," Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players' Association, said late Sunday night.

The NFL view:
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the delay would give owners a chance to consider the union's latest proposal during a meeting Tuesday in Dallas.

"The NFL and the NFL Players Association have agreed to extend the start of the 2006 league year for 72 hours -- until 12:01 a.m., ET, Thursday, March 9 -- in order to allow the NFL clubs to meet in Dallas on Tuesday to consider the NFL Players Association's offer," the NFL said.

Do you catch the difference? Gene Upshaw says they are going to vote on approval whereas the NFL spokesman says they are just going to consider the proposal.

Two completely different meanings and I dont expect the NFL with its disparate blocks of interests will be able to agree to this deal without making some kind of counter-offer.

workhorse said:
If they don't have a lock out in 2008, it will take about 8 to 10 years before you start to see the landscape of the NFL change with the big vs small market teams. You have to get past the current contracts that everyone is working under right now, so it will take a while before the ripple effect plays out. I just hope the get this stuff worked out and don't screw up a good thing.
One of the problems is that if this doesn't get settled it will lead to a lot of unrest in the next few years..and unfortunately, I think it could speed things pretty quickly. No CBA?? Uncapped year?? I do think it will happen quicker than 8-10 years...if all of a sudden things are uncapped..it will have a ripple effect..but in less than 8 years. Most contracts do not extend more than 2-3 years out...maybe 4 at the most..so?? I agree totally..I don't want to see things get out of balance..knock a good thing, but that may be what is inevitable with greed and many who want more..that goose might be dead this week.

MoLewisrocks said:
.... there is actually less hope for a deal now than there was weeks ago. Otherwise Condon would have never agreed to restructure two of his marquee players contracts.

That's an excellent insight all by itself.

When you add it with this, the prognosis becomes inescapable.
We gibe, bitterly, about Upshaw being the agent for the agents.
But it is literally and legally true that ...
Tom Condon ("superagent") also is Gene Upshaw's agent!

The stunning conflict of interest that arises when the man who
regulates players' agents ... has one of those selfsame
players' agents represent HIM ... has long been swept into a corner. And
i'm not reviving it here.

What i'm saying is that Condon is in a position to know exactly
what Upshaw knows and thinks. He may even do both for him.

From the Pat's perspective

Screw this deal. Let it all fall apart. We (the Pats) will be among the teams benefiting if there is no agreement and the cap goes away. In effect we become the Red Sox of football. That's good enough for me. If the people in Buffalo and Jacksonville don't like it; they can either pony up enough ticket increases to make their team competitive or they can go back to having no NFL franchise.

patpatriot said:
. In effect we become the Red Sox of football. That's good enough for me.

I'm begging you. Please,never, ever call the Patriots the Red Sox of football,ever again.

The thought of the Patriots being the Red Sox makes me want to throw up.

The Red Sox ot Yankees are fine being a baseball teams, but lets not compare the two sports in any way,please.

flutie2phelan said:
That's an excellent insight all by itself.

When you add it with this, the prognosis becomes inescapable.
We gibe, bitterly, about Upshaw being the agent for the agents.
But it is literally and legally true that ...
Tom Condon ("superagent") also is Gene Upshaw's agent!

The stunning conflict of interest that arises when the man who
regulates players' agents ... has one of those selfsame
players' agents represent HIM ... has long been swept into a corner. And
i'm not reviving it here.

What i'm saying is that Condon is in a position to know exactly
what Upshaw knows and thinks. He may even do both for him.
That is a great point..I agree and I don't see any reason for optimism at all with this "new" proposal. I think everyone needs to prepare for the 06 seasona nd the uncapped 07 one. One wonders if this falls apart why there is any impetus for talks...why woudl there be any?? The wish was to get it done before the 06 season of FA started..so..I don't see any reason at all once it falls apart dor negotiations.,,no deadline..no need.

PATSNUTme said:
I'm begging you. Please,never, ever call the Patriots the Red Sox of football,ever again.

The Red Sox ot Yankees are fine being a baseball teams, but lets not compare the two sports in any way,please.
The Patriots were about as low as it goes in the early 90s and at some other periods in their lifetime. Lest we forget, lest we forget.

I can't live without either the Patriots or the Red Sox.

PATSNUTme said:

Get over it already.

Gumby said:
Personally, I dont think this latest news is any great portender of resolution on Tuesday. I think we just kicked the can down the road another 3 days in the negotiation strategies.

Just check out the 2 different takes on what is going on...........

Do you catch the difference? Gene Upshaw says they are going to vote on approval whereas the NFL spokesman says they are just going to consider the proposal.

Two completely different meanings and I dont expect the NFL with its disparate blocks of interests will be able to agree to this deal without making some kind of counter-offer.

Lenny P has a really good piece up now on just what apparently happened last night (though not why) and how a deal that was already rejected suddenly ended up being put to a vote. And Lenny predicts there could be consequences for Tagliabue for possibly snatching PR defeat from the jaws of just a plain old defeat when HE decided to do a 180 and back the already rejected union proposal at least to the extent he will now try to sell it to ownership on Tuesday.

Lenny questions whether he has the votes or can somehow cobble 24 votes together to basically pull Upshaw's tail out of the fire. Tags is not a concensus builder. Sounds like perhaps he and Gene have been in bed for way too long and Tags has decided if it's all going in the crapper better the owners than the Commissioner or Union leader shoulder the blame. Nice way to treat guys who have employed you for the last 17 years.

"By agreeing to present the union's proposal to the 32-owner membership, commissioner Paul Tagliabue has taken NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw off the hook with his increasingly restless and angst-ridden player constituency. And, far less important but still somewhat significant, with whatever fans are casually interested in the tedious and drawn-out labor discussions.

In any battle pitting millionaires and billionaires, the public, comprised mostly of thousandaires, typically empathizes with no one, because it can relate to neither combatant. But by taking the union's proposal to the owners, a blueprint not terribly dissimilar to the one unanimously rejected by owners Thursday in a 57-minute meeting, Tagliabue and the NFL have unwittingly declared Upshaw and the NFLPA the winners in the public relations battle.

And given the ham-handed history of the union and its leader, viewed in the past as having historically caved in labor negotiations, that is no small feat.

Under the current circumstances, no one is going to remember that Upshaw, who said numerous times that he couldn't settle for a deal that didn't include 60 percent of the total league revenues directed to players, is shy of that benchmark. Or that Upshaw, who claimed he would delay the start of free agency "under no circumstances" stopped the clock on two occasions. Nope, the NFLPA boss suddenly looks pretty good, even to the players and agents who have questioned his leadership over the past week.

Because the bottom line is this: Tagliabue has put the onus on the owners. If the deal falls apart now, it will be the owners -- who are still locked in an intramural battle over revenue sharing among themselves that could turn contentious Tuesday -- who bear the brunt of public criticism."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2356568

The reporting on this issue has been horrendous - "tentative deal reached?"

What the hell does that mean? They've reached an agreement, only no one's agreed to anything yet?

Stop jerking us around. Its like last week when they said that there was an agreement, and all that was left was for the owners to agree to a profit sharing plan.

No chit Sherlock! Thanks for the scoop!

JoeSixPat said:

What the hell does that mean? They've reached an agreement, only no one's agreed to anything yet?

* Whenever a union and management agree to a deal, it's ALWAYS tentative. Even with a company and it's union, until the union members vote to accept(or reject) it, it's not a deal. The players are still going to have to vote for it even if on Tuesday the owners agree to it.

PatsSteve1 said:
JoeSixPat said:

* Whenever a union and management agree to a deal, it's ALWAYS tentative. Even with a company and it's union, until the union members vote to accept(or reject) it, it's not a deal. The players are still going to have to vote for it even if on Tuesday the owners agree to it.

The point is, no one's agreed to anything. They reached a tenative agreement last Wednesday. Apparently everyone but the owners had agreed to it. The same thing happened on Thursday, then on Friday, then on Sunday.

I'd also like to announce that I've tentatively reached an agreement for World Peace and have made myself Benevolent Dictator of the Universe.

There's only one minor detail left to take care of. Getting everyone to agree to the tentative agreement.

* The owners negotiating committee, made up of Tags and his assistants have made a tentative agreement with the union negotiating committe, made up of Upshaw and his assistants. It's, as the dictionary says, not " fully worked out, concluded, or agreed on". Even if the owners vote to accept the deal, it'll still be 'tentative' until the players vote on it and accept it. It's what a tentative deal means. I've been a union member most of my working life, and still am. Everytime the company and the union negotiating committee agree to a contract, it's a 'tentative' deal until the union members vote to accept it. I know we're just going thru wordplay masturbation here, but saying it's a tentative deal is not incorrect.

PatsSteve1 said:
* The owners negotiating committee, made up of Tags and his assistants have made a tentative agreement with the union negotiating committe, made up of Upshaw and his assistants. It's, as the dictionary says, not " fully worked out, concluded, or agreed on". Even if the owners vote to accept the deal, it'll still be 'tentative' until the players vote on it and accept it. It's what a tentative deal means. I've been a union member most of my working life, and still am. Everytime the company and the union negotiating committee agree to a contract, it's a 'tentative' deal until the union members vote to accept it. I know we're just going thru wordplay masturbation here, but saying it's a tentative deal is not incorrect.

As someone who has been involved in professional negotiations, parties generally announce a tentative agreement when something has been agreed to.

The difference in union negotiations is that the rank and file most often agrees with the union leaders.

Tagliabue is NOT the leader of the owners. Every "tentative agreement" he's brought back has been soundly rejected... apparently unanimously. All he is is a messenger boy at this point.

I'm just bemoaning the fact that reporters are suggesting there's a tentative agreement when there is none. They've been doing that for the last week.

I'm hoping this latest tentative agreement isn't one that has absolutely no support once again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back