Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you be in favor of adding Tebow to the Pats

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't guaranteed money still required to be paid on termination or trade in the new CBA? I mean, why would we be responsible for any guarantee?

I was not clear. Those are salary figures for which we would be responsible.
Moot, since I don't see us doing the trade.
If only it were mute as well.

Could all the fanboys here posting about a trade for Tebow to the Patriots please address how they see his contract and cap $ addressed? Fantasy football has ruined the sport.

Why let facts get in the way of good speculation? :rolleyes:

Anyways, I found this article; he has two interesting incentives in his contract.

Details show Tim Tebow's contract worth $9.7 million - The Denver Post

The first incentive was a LTBE that he must have hit last year:

Tebow collects $1.537.5 million if he plays 35 percent of the offensive snaps in 2010, or 45 percent of the snaps in any of the seasons 2011-14. The bonus rolls over from year to year until Tebow reaches the playing-time threshold, and expires the first time he hits it.​

The second was a NLTBE incentive:

Value of Tebow's contract doubles from $11.25 million (including one-time playing time bonus) to $22.5 million if he reaches multiple thresholds, including:

• 55 percent playing time in two of his first three seasons, 2010-12, or 70 percent playing time in 2013.
  • The Broncos make the playoffs, he reaches certain QB ranking thresholds, and receives unspecified honors.

Now there are two things that I am unsure of. On that NLTBE part does Tebow have to achieve both parts (playing time plus playoffs), or just one (the playoffs)? If it was just one I would assume Denver is on the hook for doubling his salary in 2010 and 2011, and a new team would be responsible for his new (higher) salaries going forward. Similarly, if the incentive is that he has to hit both numbers then it would give Denver more reason to consider moving him this off season even before the Manning signing; he would have most likely have fulfilled the 55% playing time requirement this year otherwise - and they would be on the books for a whole lot more money.

The total value of Tebow's contract can escalate to $33 million if the Broncos reach the playoffs multiple times in his first four years, he has multiple top 5 QB rankings, and he has multiple league honors such as NFL MVP and Super Bowl MVP.​

So if Tebow comes to New England and rides the bench while the Pats make the playoffs again and again his contract continues to escalate?

As I said before I think this is a media-fueled rumor based on misinformation about the Pats alleged interest in Tebow two years ago. With the drafting of Mallett the Pats have less reason to add him. Add in the contract details and there's even less of a reason to give up anything for him, much less add him to the roster.

• 2010: $1.295 million (fully guaranteed)
  • 2011: $1.618.75 million (fully guaranteed)
  • 2012: $1.942.5 million (fully guaranteed)
  • 2013: $2.266.75 million (fully guaranteed)
  • 2014: $2.590.5 million ($567,500 guaranteed)

Last edited:
So are we just responsible for the base salary or all the 'other stuff'?

Isn't guaranteed money still required to be paid on termination or trade in the new CBA? I mean, why would we be responsible for any guarantee?

It is required to be paid as part of the contract but by the team that trades for that contract. Only previously paid money (amortized bonus) remains with the trading team.

And apparently Tebow hit some escalators that will make his deal difficult to trade...

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva

Tim Tebow's '12 salary is only $1.1M, but escalators pushed his '13 & '14 salaries to $6.05M & $7.14M. That contract won't be easy to deal.

It is required to be paid as part of the contract but by the team that trades for that contract. Only previously paid money (amortized bonus) remains with the trading team.

And apparently Tebow hit some escalators that will make his deal difficult to trade...

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva

Tim Tebow's '12 salary is only $1.1M, but escalators pushed his '13 & '14 salaries to $6.05M & $7.14M. That contract won't be easy to deal.

In that case he definitly won't be a Patriot, time to move on.

So are we just responsible for the base salary or all the 'other stuff'?

The escalators and incentives go with the contract to the new team who is responsible for paying them out as if they happened on your watch. They go on your cap.

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva

Very good news.

In that case he definitly won't be a Patriot, time to move on.

Somebody tweeted that Clayton should be held under for starting the rumor...and I think it was Curran who re-tweeted back held under what...water??

This is along the same lines as genius mediot opinions Manning was certainly a fit for the JETS...or the Dolphins...

Why let facts get in the way of good speculation? :rolleyes:

Anyways, I found this article; he has two interesting incentives in his contract.

Details show Tim Tebow's contract worth $9.7 million - The Denver Post

The first incentive was a LTBE that he must have hit last year:

Tebow collects $1.537.5 million if he plays 35 percent of the offensive snaps in 2010, or 45 percent of the snaps in any of the seasons 2011-14. The bonus rolls over from year to year until Tebow reaches the playing-time threshold, and expires the first time he hits it.​

The second was a NLTBE incentive:

Value of Tebow's contract doubles from $11.25 million (including one-time playing time bonus) to $22.5 million if he reaches multiple thresholds, including:

• 55 percent playing time in two of his first three seasons, 2010-12, or 70 percent playing time in 2013.
  • The Broncos make the playoffs, he reaches certain QB ranking thresholds, and receives unspecified honors.

Now there are two things that I am unsure of. On that NLTBE part does Tebow have to achieve both parts (playing time plus playoffs), or just one (the playoffs)? If it was just one I would assume Denver is on the hook for doubling his salary in 2010 and 2011, and a new team would be responsible for hi new (higher) salaries going forward. Similarly, if the incentive is that he has to hit both numbers then it would give Denver more reason to consider moving him this off season even before the Manning signing; he would have most likely have fulfilled the 55% playing time requirement this year otherwise - and they would be on the books for a whole lot more money.

The total value of Tebow's contract can escalate to $33 million if the Broncos reach the playoffs multiple times in his first four years, he has multiple top 5 QB rankings, and he has multiple league honors such as NFL MVP and Super Bowl MVP.​

So if Tebow comes to New England and rides the bench while the Pats make the playoffs again and again his contract continues to escalate?

As I said before I think this is a media-fueled rumor based on misinformation about the Pats alleged interest in Tebow two years ago. With the drafting of Mallett the Pats have less reason to add him. Add in the contract details and there's even less of a reason to give up anything for him, much less add him to the roster.

• 2010: $1.295 million (fully guaranteed)
  • 2011: $1.618.75 million (fully guaranteed)
  • 2012: $1.942.5 million (fully guaranteed)
  • 2013: $2.266.75 million (fully guaranteed)
  • 2014: $2.590.5 million ($567,500 guaranteed)

I don't think most of those talking about the benefits of having Tebow on the Patriots were thinking of him as an expensive backup QB sitting on the bench.

I think they were considering him as a talented athlete who could play a different role that would have defenses completely confused as to what would be coming.

The team that he has had his only success with clearly felt he had a very limited future as a QB. If other GMs felt the same way and Tebow were required to renegotiate his contract or was just cut outright and was a free agent, none of those numbers would be a factor.

But I dont think that any of the Patsfans here who are having fun thinking of how Belichick and McDaniels could utilize Tebow are thinking of him as a benched backup QB of the future who would cost us anywhere near what Denver had guaranteed him.

Mike Klis ‏ @MikeKlis

Tebow's contract trade favorable: $1,572,500 this year $490K guar); $5.48 million in 2013 ($232,500 gua); $7.145 mil in 2014 (No guarantee)

Mike Klis from the Denver Post says these are the figures. And while little is guaranteed it is what you would have to pay him to be on the roster absent a massive restructure which he wouldn't do if he wants to remain a QB. And for a QB the figures aren't daunting considering what guys like Orton and Henne just got to be backups. The question will be does anyone want him as their QB or even as a draw to the extent they are willing to pay him and trade for him? The Jags probably should, just to put fannies in seats, but their GM seems determined not to.

Tebow seems to me to be playing the wrong position in the NFL,Kind of reminds me of Kordell Stewart when he was QB of Pitt,he should have been a WR.

Now sign Tebow with the Pats and make him a Fullback and I think he makes a great one,he has power and can run well.

It makes more sense to me that Tebow would go to the jets than it would for him to come here.

The Pats have no place for him. The jet, however, need the competition at QB and could use some actual leadership.

I'd be surprised if the jets didn't place a bid. If they don't it is probably because Landry broke the piggy bank.

Tebow seems to me to be playing the wrong position in the NFL,Kind of reminds me of Kordell Stewart when he was QB of Pitt,he should have been a WR.

Now sign Tebow with the Pats and make him a Fullback and I think he makes a great one,he has power and can run well.

Running out from under center or the shotgun as a QB doesn't remotely equate to running as a FB. A position fewer teams than ever employ. Trading for and paying that player what Tebow will make on his deal is not going to happen - let alone here.

It makes more sense to me that Tebow would go to the jets than it would for him to come here.

The Pats have no place for him. The jet, however, need the competition at QB and could use some actual leadership.

I'd be surprised if the jets didn't place a bid. If they don't it is probably because Landry broke the piggy bank.

Then they'd have two QB's on the roster who can't process defense past their first read and only McElroy to push them.

There's an old saying in football, if you have more than two starting QB's on your roster you probably don't have one. But I'd love it if Rex and Tanny chose to go for it.

1. This thread hurts my head. I like Tebow just fine, as long as he plays for someone else. He's a good human interest story and he's fun to root for. Doesn't mean I want him QB'ing a team that I pay a reasonable sum to for tickets/parking/concessions.

2. The speculation on 98.5 was that the Pats had something Denver wanted. What could that be and why would NE deal it? Clearly, Denver will value Tebow more than a seventh.

So......... People on this board think the Pats will pay over 4 million guaranteed to a 4th QB... no wait a fullback..... no wait a fourth TE....... no wait lets try him at RB.... how about LB.

Or maybe he's just not good enough at any of those positions and the Pats are way too smart to guarantee $4 million to find that out.

Remember there is no way he could play QB in the Pats system and they certainly ain't gonna change it to fit him.

Not to mention the ridiculous sideshow that follows him everywhere he goes.

And one more thing - Thou shall not worship false idols.

So......... People on this board think the Pats will pay over 4 million guaranteed to a 4th QB... no wait a fullback..... no wait a fourth TE....... no wait lets try him at RB.... how about LB.

Or maybe he's just not good enough at any of those positions and the Pats are way too smart to guarantee $4 million to find that out.

Remember there is no way he could play QB in the Pats system and they certainly ain't gonna change it to fit him.

Not to mention the ridiculous sideshow that follows him everywhere he goes.

And one more thing - Thou shall not worship false idols.

Why are people so obsessed about Tebow's faith? And it's always the people down on Tebow.

Then they'd have two QB's on the roster who can't process defense past their first read and only McElroy to push them.

There's an old saying in football, if you have more than two starting QB's on your roster you probably don't have one. But I'd love it if Rex and Tanny chose to go for it.

Yeah but I used to be a Vikings fan back when I lived in MN. They did this constantly so it seems like habit now even if it never worked out.

For the money I think it would be clear who the starting QB was intended to be, however the reality is you'd be stuck with either a quality QB who doesn't win or a non-quality QB who doesn't seem to lose.

Even still, that scenario makes FAR more sense to me than bringing Tebow here. We're not going to pay him a QB salary to be a halfback, so he'd have no place here without a massive salary cut. I doubt he has taken the vow of poverty.

Has anyone considered the thought that if Tebow were to be traded to New England that the writing is on the wall that Josh McDaniels is a major influence in what would be the second player coming here that has a McDaniels connection because Josh McDaniels is going to be the next head coach and he's already setting up his guys here?
Think about it. Brady and Belichick retire in 3 years and presto...McDaniels is coach and the guy he used a 1st rd pick on is now ready to step in and start.
I think you can actually bank on this happening because usually where there's smoke there's fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back