PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tear up this coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB was so pissed at that PC, holy cow. Even more than usual.

Is Zampese still alive ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously the Patriots have their future OC right on the staff.

Chad O'Shea gets the job next and he'll be an excellent OC ... IMO.

The offenses pre-2009 were based on ball distribution to a deep roster of adequate receivers (07 and 08 stuck to this design even though Moss and Welker got the majority of the load). It kept the chains moving and forced opposing defenses to pick their poison among the myriad off records broken by the 07 pats was most players to score a TD on a team in a given season. This year they just hammered it to welker and tossed it up to Moss a few times a game TE's got nothing, hardly any screen passes 3rd and 4th receivers? pffft. This strategy worked fine against bad teams but if you notice, when we played quality opposition we failed misserably in the 2nd half when they made their adjustments.

O'Brien is one of the worst offensive coordinators in the league and was a disaster this year. There's no question he should be fired.

I WOULD FIRE NONE OF THE COACHES, EXCEPT PERHAPS FOR THE WR COACH. I would add the LB coach. See below for explanations. However, I would hire additional coaches. I would hire an OC, an assistant OL coach (to help dante), and even an assistant OC, and an assistant DL coach (to groom to replace Pepper).

In the end, as much as I have complained about Obrien's job as acting OC, that is not his problem. He simply should stay in his job as QB coach and work with Hoyer, Stanback and whoever else we bring in.

Let's just stop pretending that we don't need anyone in the OC function since we have Brady, Moss, dante and Belichick all doing part of that fdunction. Let's bring in an OC and perhaps even an assistant OC. Our playbook and game schemes need a major overhaul! :agree: The offense has become soooo predictable!

The safety play has been sketchy even though Meriweather made the Pro Bowl, deserved or not? He has to learn that a safety doesnt allow receivers to get behind him and that he provides over-the-top coverage for the corners who are depending on his being there.

The LB play has been weak all year. Maybe Mayo is hurt still, but omg, cant they be taught to make a tackle! And where is the toughness? McClain anyone?

Waaaay too many pass rushers allowed right up the middle on TB. Is Koppen so good that he shouldnt be replaced? TB has always been able to "step up in the pocket" but not now. Giving Brady time to pass is the most important thing for this offense right now Beyond protecting Brady, 3 solid receivers are needed so defenses cant continue to bracket and nullify as they are doing now.

This isnt all by a long shot but its late and I need time to relax before bedtime

(O'Brien) was the offensive coordinator for Chan Gailey at GT, I guess that is where the system comes into place since Gailey runs something similar to what New England runs. However, the guy was the offensive coordinator for a team that went 1-22 over the span of two years, Duke. Two years later the guy is the offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots, we need a Offensive Coordinator that knows what he is doing.

If this is true, it's a wonder the Pats did as well as they did!

O'Brien is one of the worst offensive coordinators in the league and was a disaster this year. There's no question he should be fired.

Woah!, you mean constant Faulk draws and failed screens arent a sign of genius?

I fear that BB's ego is too big for him to admitt he made bad decisions with his coaching staff.

Not really. Pointing to Duke's record as some sort of evidence that a coach from there is bad is a sign of either ignorance or ridiculously high level of bias. That's a college that hasn't had a winning season since 1994, and has gone winless 4 times during that stretch.

Duke Blue Devils Historical NCAA College Football Scores Since 1945

I didn't explicitly mean that, it's just the idea of him coaching at Duke in the first place, and going from that to the coordinator of the New England Patriots. The record implies how bad that program is.

This game just tears it for me. I've been saying it all year we need to bring in some new blood for our coaching staff. Bill O'Brien and Dean Pees are just a couple Yes Men. One of the great advantages of Weiss/McDaniels and Crennel was that they had the balls to challenge BB's opinion. We need to bring in some outside brain power. I've been very happy with BB's ability to train coaches but you can't expect it to have infinite potential. Get Crennel back (or raid the staff of a good 3-4 team) and hire an established OC.

Amen, brutha.

BO'B & Mr. Peesbody are one of the worst pairs of Coordinators in football. Would any other team hire either of them for the same position? I really kinda doubt it.

ummm, what exactly are we blaming on Pees this week? I guess you guys are right. He's to blame for that first play of the game :rolleyes:

BOB is a different story, but its his first year. Everyone wanted to kill Josh after his first year as well. Im just not sure who's to blame for the offense. I'd prefer to blame BB, being that its his team, and he must be the person who decided we're going to pass all the damn time :eek:

Pees may be able to get a job as a DC; he certainly is a solid value as a position coach.
Obrein would have trouble getting a job as a position coach. He is truly dreadful.

Pees was given a very difficult talk this year with the team not replacing Vrabel, Bruschi or Seymour.

Amen, brutha.

BO'B & Mr. Peesbody are one of the worst pairs of Coordinators in football. Would any other team hire either of them for the same position? I really kinda doubt it.

I don't think Pees really had the material to work with, but i think after this season maybe it would be better if there was a change.

BOB...Forget it, he should go back to coaching pop warner.

I have always admired BB's system of grooming personnel and promoting from within, but I am having a change of heart.

I'd welcome some fresh blood--inject some life into the offense. I would personally like to bring aboard an established NFL OC, perhaps even a former HC, a la Dom Capers from a year ago. (A proven talent on the way "down," as opposed to a young cat on the rise only to get mined a year later for a head-coaching gig.) I'm so disappointed with BOB right now, I'd sign off on something really crazy, even--how about someone like Mike Martz?

I wonder what the players would say about the coaching

Looming at Brady and Moss recently I think I know

Okay okay. Can someone explain to me how the offense was predictable please?

Last edited:
Okay okay. Can someone explain to me how the offense was predictable please?

Ray Lewis was calling our plays at the LOS, you could hear him. "Red 40" was one he called, which he knew was a draw to Faulk.

Our play-calling is awful offensively. There's no variation (ironically the draw play was one that did work with some success yesterday, but only because Brady sold it so well and Kev ran like a machine). It isn't helped by the run blocking suffering whenever we go against a big front, and the receivers unable to get open.

We have to sort he schemes out so that the receivers get the ball in space. Other teams do it, why can't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News