PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tear up this coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were up to you, would you do any of the following:

1) Fire Pees, hire a replacement DC (I realize this is a bit difficult since "replacement" could run the gamut between much improved and much worse, but in theory...)

2) Hire an OC, relegate O'Brien to QB coach.

3) Fire any of the assistant coaches, and replace them.

Knowing only what I know, and extrapolating from that:

1.) Keep Pees (I can't think of anyone out there worth dumping him for). If **** LeBeau decides he wants a new challenge, I could be convinced to change my mind.

2.) Test O'Brien on where he sees the offense going. I want more slants, more passes to the RBs not named Faulk on 1st and 2nd down, and fewer plays where all 3 receivers run into isolate areas rather than feeding off of one another. I'd also give the O.C. a true fullback to use and a WR3 that can threaten on middle routes. If O'Brien could convince me that he'd be with me on that, I might be up for giving him another season. After all, if not him, who? I'm not exactly keen on calling up Mike Martz, Norm Chow doesn't do it for me, and Chan Gailey couldn't even handle the Cardinals version of the Patriots offense, so he's out. Now, if someone could come up with an O.C. who ran a similar system and could make the adjustment, I'd be open for the conversation.

The problem with saying this is that I don't know how much Belichick has had to cover for the coordinators, and I don't know how much he's meddled in a negative way, either. Neither the coaches nor the players have been very forthcoming on this issue.

We have an OC who is in training, with no one to train him. We someohow believe that of all the position coaches in the nfl, there is no one better. We someohow believe tha among the uinemployed OC's and HC's, there is no one more qualified.

Pass the koolaid.

1.) Keep Pees (I can't think of anyone out there worth dumping him for). If **** LeBeau decides he wants a new challenge, I could be convinced to change my mind.

2.) Test O'Brien on where he sees the offense going. I want more slants, more passes to the RBs not named Faulk on 1st and 2nd down, and fewer plays where all 3 receivers run into isolate areas rather than feeding off of one another. I'd also give the O.C. a true fullback to use and a WR3 that can threaten on middle routes. If O'Brien could convince me that he'd be with me on that, I might be up for giving him another season. After all, if not him, who? I'm not exactly keen on calling up Mike Martz, Norm Chow doesn't do it for me, and Chan Gailey couldn't even handle the Cardinals version of the Patriots offense, so he's out. Now, if someone could come up with an O.C. who ran a similar system and could make the adjustment, I'd be open for the conversation.

The problem with saying this is that I don't know how much Belichick has had to cover for the coordinators, and I don't know how much he's meddled in a negative way, either. Neither the coaches nor the players have been very forthcoming on this issue.

We have an OC who is in training, with no one to train him. We someohow believe that of all the position coaches in the nfl, there is no one better. We someohow believe tha among the uinemployed OC's and HC's, there is no one more qualified.

Pass the koolaid.

:confused:

I'm not exactly keen on calling up Mike Martz, Norm Chow doesn't do it for me, and Chan Gailey couldn't even handle the Cardinals version of the Patriots offense, so he's out. Now, if someone could come up with an O.C. who ran a similar system and could make the adjustment, I'd be open for the conversation...

Last edited:

It would probably be best to keep O'Brien as bad as that seems, McDaniels went through the same stuff replacing Weis. The system in place can work and has been proven, but the personnel and play calling were not being correctly used this season. The only coaches I can think of who run this system are - Chan Gailey, Charlie Weis, McDaniels, Jeff Davidson, Dan Henning, and Chris Palmer. I can't see BB hiring any of them right now, and switching to another system would take it even longer to fix the woes that are plaguing this team.

Good post I tend to agree, I don't see Pees going anywhere unless he decides to retire. O'Brien more slants yes please! As for an offensive coordinator Martz has his own system and Chow will most likely end up in Seattle. I think some people need to be reminded that McDaniels was here since 2001 and O'Brien has only been here since 2007. What I'm saying is that O'Brien has had more to learn and understand in a shorter amount of time compared too McDaniels who benefited from having Weis for four seasons.

I am not suggesting any particular OC or position coach to promote to OC. I don't know the individual position coaches that well. Belichick does.

I just it hard to believe that there is no one better fit than Obrein in the entire NFL. And just BTW, I don't think that Obrien has yet been named OC.

Good post I tend to agree, I don't see Pees going anywhere unless he decides to retire. O'Brien more slants yes please! As for an offensive coordinator Martz has his own system and Chow will most likely end up in Seattle. I think some people need to be reminded that McDaniels was here since 2001 and O'Brien has only been here since 2007. What I'm saying is that O'Brien has had more to learn and understand in a shorter amount of time compared too McDaniels who benefited from having Weis for four seasons.

Jeremy Bates is going to Seattle. I wouldn't want to have Chow anyways.

The problem is that O'Brien really did a poor job with the offense this year. Scot Zollack called for him to be fired after the game and at least on this point I feel I'm in good company. I don't know who's available, but I do know that O'Brien stunck

The problem is that O'Brien really did a poor job with the offense this year. Scot Zollack called for him to be fired after the game and at least on this point I feel I'm in good company. I don't know who's available, but I do know that O'Brien stunck

If Scott Zolak is calling on someone to be fired, that person should probably be given a contract extension and a raise.

Which means teams know what we're doing. The epitome of predictable.

You could hear Lewis saying "run", or "screen".

A team has problems when it's that obvious.

Umm.. Yeah.. because he'd studied the AUDIO TAPES of Brady. He said so himself in his interview. That's NOT being predictable. That is the opponent knowing your calls.. There is a difference.

Brady's not calling an audible on every play. And if he is then he has issues.

Our offensive play-calling has been very poor. There is no two ways of getting away from it.

Do you have trouble reading? I never said that Brady was audibling on every play. I said Brady was audibling more than he had in the past. And more often than not, he'd audible out of a running play and into a passing play. In fact, one of the biggest signs of this was when Mark LaVoir got called for being in an illegal formation after Brady audibled off a running play and into a pass, yet LaVoir didn't move. LaVoir was on the field as a 3rd TE.

I don't disagree, but then the point is why's he calling an audible in the first place? Because he doesn't like the play?

Our choice of plays, the way we're game-planning, it's not been good enough. We had only 18 runs yesterday. Granted we were 21 down within about 90 seconds of the kick off, but you can't go away from the run, especially not that early. You have to mix it in, keep teams from teeing off on one aspect. That's how you build drives. It's Football 101.

Brady either doesn't like the play or sees something in the defense that he really doesn't. But, Again, Brady is as much to blame for the play calling as O'Brien as Brady has the final read on the field. The problem is that too many people don't want to admit that Brady has that responsibility.

No where did I mention anything about how you build drives or anything else. As for "Football 101", if the O-line isn't blocking properly, then it really doesn't matter what they are calling, does it??

I was just speculating if Bill got Mike Martz as our OC.

What do you people think?

I am willing to give BOB another chance as OC. I remember people calling for Josh McDaniels (Josh McDumbass was his nickname here among some) head after the 06 season and he turned out to be a pretty solid OC who most of us would have loved to have this year.

So, can we please give him another year before we run him out of town?

I was just speculating if Bill got Mike Martz as our OC.

What do you people think?

See Page 2 of this thread. At least 2 of us are against it because of all the changes it would bring.

I don't know if an OC is the answer but the Pats need to stop plays such as having Brady twirl around like a ballerina to hand the ball off. That idiotic move against the Ravens wouldn't fool Myra Kraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down