PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tear up this coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know that O'Brien and Pees are "Yes Men"? Have you sat in on the planning meetings and seen this?
I was just going to ask the same thing. The assumptions made here are just ridiculous.

It is time for you to find and post on a board that supports the same team that you do.

All of it. Fire them all.

"Mr. Gorbachev, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!".

"Mr. Kraft, TEAR DOWN THIS COACHING STAFF."

The pats fans are being held hostage to incompetent coaches and washed up players.

lol, everytime I look at the forum home page and I see this thread I chuckle.:singing:

Look for the good soldier Dean Pees to make it easy for BB by tendering his resignation . . . Would be tremendous if RAC came back as DC.

QB12

I hope so because i'd hate to see Bill lose Pepper Johnson.

Through all the injuries & Seymour loss this year the D-Line performed very well.

Pepper Johnson is a winner and he should get a chance to be one step closer to being a HC.

Bill needs to find someone who has actually been successful offensively to begin with! Why was this guy even hired?

Prior to entering the NFL, O'Brien coached in the Atlantic Coast Conference for 12 seasons, including tenures at Georgia Tech (1995-2002), Maryland (2003-04) and Duke H 17th Coaching Season H 3rd NFL Season H 3rd Patriots Season (2005-06).

O'Brien completed a two-year tenure at Duke as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach from 2005-06. O'Brien joined the Duke coaching staff after spending two seasons as the running backs coach at the University of Maryland. In his first season with the Terrapins in 2003, Maryland finished second in the ACC in rushing and defeated West Virginia in the Gator Bowl.

O'Brien spent eight seasons at Georgia Tech (1995-2002), and served as the Yellow Jackets' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in his final two seasons. In addition to his normal duties, he also served as an assistant head coach in 2002 and was Georgia Tech's recruiting coordinator from 1999-2000. He spent his first three seasons at Georgia Tech as an offensive graduate assistant (1995-97) before beginning a three-year stint as the Yellow Jackets’ running backs coach (1998-2000). In each of O'Brien's three seasons coaching the running backs, Georgia Tech finished no lower than third in the conference in rushing. During his two-year tenure as offensive coordinator (2001-02), the team played in a bowl game each season. In 2001, under O'Brien's direction, the Yellow Jackets led the ACC in passing and finished third in the league in scoring.

Bill O'Brien - Official New England Patriots Biography

His resume = not very good.

Bill needs to find someone who has actually been successful offensively to begin with! Why was this guy even hired?

Bill O'Brien - Official New England Patriots Biography

His resume = not very good.

Like most other Patriots coaches/scouts: he wanted the job, badly, and Belichick reached out to him. Not unlike how Scott Pioli came in.

Patriots assistant coach O'Brien relishes his days at Brown | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Fortunately for O’Brien, new Tech coach Chan Gailey welcomed him back, as offensive coordinator and assistant head coach. Then it was two years at Maryland and two more at Duke before O’Brien got an offer from an e-mail buddy.

Bill Belichick.

“In 2001, when I was at Georgia Tech, we made contact through a mutual friend and just talked football,” O’Brien said. “After that I just kept in touch with him, maybe once or twice a year, send him an e-mail if I had a football question, and he would respond.”

Belichick would occasionally ask O’Brien about certain players in the ACC, to get his opinion on whether or not he thought they’d make good pro players.

“I definitely wanted to coach in the NFL at some point and I was always intrigued, watching the Patriots and how they did things, football-wise and Xs and Os wise, and how coach Belichick ran the team,” O’Brien said. “I always wanted to be a part of that, so when the opportunity arose it was something I didn’t give a second thought to. I just definitely wanted to be a part of it and learn from what I consider the best coaching staff, the best players in the league.”

O’Brien took a pay cut to come to New England last year, as a coaching assistant. But the move was a good one all around. He says he’s learned more about football in the last 18 months than he had in the previous 16 years, and he gets to be near family and friends again.

Last edited:
Look for the good soldier Dean Pees to make it easy for BB by tendering his resignation . . . Would be tremendous if RAC came back as DC.

QB12

I hope you're right. it's time for Pees and his weak kneed defense to go.

Like most other Patriots coaches/scouts: he wanted the job, badly, and Belichick reached out to him. Not unlike how Scott Pioli came in.

Patriots assistant coach O'Brien relishes his days at Brown | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Jeez. I can't believe Belichick took this guy offensive "knowledge" serious. It speaks volumes that he knew so little in 16 years.

I know Belichick will like to have a superb coaching tree, but at least teach guys who ARE WORTH TEACHING. Josh McDaniels was worth teaching to. With this guy he is just waisting his time.

He was the offensive coordinator for Chan Gailey at GT, I guess that is where the system comes into place since Gailey runs something similar to what New England runs. However, the guy was the offensive coordinator for a team that went 1-22 over the span of two years, Duke. Two years later the guy is the offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots, we need a Offensive Coordinator that knows what he is doing.

Today's game, the Patriots scored 0 pts. in the 4th quarter.

How many games this year, did the Patriots blew the lead in the 4th quarter.
How many games this year, did the Patriots scored 0 pts. in the 4th quarter.

This is the 1st year for O'Brien as OC.

I hope this is the last year for O'Brien as OC.

The problem is, who should be the OC for 2010?

How do you know that O'Brien and Pees are "Yes Men"? Have you sat in on the planning meetings and seen this?

I agree that O'Brien is in over his head. He doesn't have the rapport with Brady that Weis and McDaniels had. It also doesn't help that this is O'Brien's 1st year as QB Coach and he's got the play calling dumped on him as well as having to work to establish the rapport with Brady.

As for Pees, I think he's done a great job with what he's been given to work with. And it was Pees idea to move to the 4-3 as the base this year.

What I find interesting is that no one is directly calling out Matt Patricia for the poor development of the linebackers over the last 3 years. Personally, I'd rather see a new LBer coach. Someone with experience and who could really bring Mayo, Guyton and TBC up to that next level consistently.

iam not sure abt that. i think he just isnt creative or has a feel to call plays and switch it up. josh did a great job in 2006 with avg receivers.

Thank goodness Belichick didn't "tear up" McDaniels after 2005.

Perhaps when things calm down around here, common sense and rational thought will return. Blaming first year coordinators for things that seasoned coaches would have struggled with is just a silly way of scapegoating, and does nothing to address the much more significant problems with the team.

Thank goodness Belichick didn't "tear up" McDaniels after 2005.

Perhaps when things calm down around here, common sense and rational thought will return. Blaming first year coordinators for things that seasoned coaches would have struggled with is just a silly way of scapegoating, and does nothing to address the much more significant problems with the team.
The offense really wasn't that bad in 05 especially relative to the talent level at that point

obrein had a lot of talent to work with.

Some thought that our 2009 offense had the possibility of being as good as 2007.

In fairness to Pees, much of the defense is either underachieving or completely lacking in the talent department.

The offense is the reason for most of our losses this season. The scheme is not cutting it. I can't believe I covet something that belongs to the Cardinals, but their offensive scheme is very good and puts decent players (and one fantastic one) in a position to succeed. Their line sucks too.

Of course, it would be nice if we could hold up against a 3 man rush. The only lineman I didn't see get thoroughly embarrassed was Vollmer, and I don't pay particular attention to the line during a game.

Last edited:
They need to run more Faulk draws!:rolleyes:

The offense really wasn't that bad in 05 especially relative to the talent level at that point

The offense really wasn't that bad for all of '09, either. It was actually 6th in scoring overall, although that's a bit misleading. It was, however, inconsistent, and that was largely a function of poor talent at the WR3 spot, inconsistent play at WR1 and QB, and the continuing questionable utilization of the running game that's been going on for years.

2005 receiver group:

Branch
Givens
Brown
Watson
Graham
Pass
Faulk
Evans
Dwight

I'll take that group over the 2009 team once Galloway was taken out of the mix. To me, there's just no question that teams figured out how to defend the 2009 version once they realized that there was absolutely no threat coming from the WR3 position and that the running game was being telegraphed as it has been since as far back as at least 2007.

Last edited:
obrein had a lot of talent to work with.

Some thought that our 2009 offense had the possibility of being as good as 2007.

Those people were factoring Galloway into the equation as the WR3, not Sam Aiken. That's an enormous difference.

No. It was Charlie Weiss that signed with KC. Crennel is still free. I say get him, and you really do need a OC that talks with Brady.

get RAC back and Bobby April. those are the biggest priorities right now.

teams have just figured the pats out over the past few years. you have to be creative and change things up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back