PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tavon Wilson - Lightning Rod o'Controversy (Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayock said when the pick was announced Wilson was a late riser. At this point none of that matters. He'll be given a chance to contribute and hopefully he will. I'm rooting for the kid. Great back story and the secondary needs the help.

They've been wrong before. Also, YouTube is just a website that plays videos. It doesn't diminish or improve the credibility of any videos that are on there.

What does them being wrong before have to do with the discussion. It is understood that everyone who makes draft picks has been wrong before. It is no more applicable to this discussion than any other.

I am not diminishing YouTube, but of course you understand that. I am saying that a fan watching a couple of clips on the internet compared to an NFL franchise doing a full predraft analysis of a player is like comparing doing flashcard on single digit addition to to teaching college mathematics.

About halfway through that now and he looks pretty good.

Good safety blitz in there too, 3 players get to Osweiller.

Good game for him. Versatile guy. Gunner. Played a lot of corner, a lot in the slot. Moves like a corner. Blitzed a lot and reasonably effectively. Not a great job anticipating the ball and looking back.
Not an NFL corner, but as a safety that coverage skills, which were a lot of man as a corner in this game, look like a plus.

One thing that stood out to me was how quickly he got to the ball.

There's a couple of plays where he hits the RB for a loss/no gain and he sniffs out a WR screen for a short gain too.

Personally I like the pick, he played solid all season in college despite being out of his projected position. He was likely ranked poorly based on scouts viewing him as a CB and BB views him as a centerfield FS. If he knew he was going to trade back to at least the 5th round and was drafting for the safety position who else does anyone view as without a doubt the better to fill this role?

If BB viewed him as a #2 do you really all believe that not one other team would've viewed him the same? If we passed on him and someone else took him and he was a stud by Nov this forum would be filled with rants about how we missed the safety that we needed to solidify our secondary and ended up with a DT playing in a rotation.

I see know reason why we all can just trust the coach and scouts who took us to 5 of the last 10 super bowls.

Personally I like the pick, he played solid all season in college despite being out of his projected position. He was likely ranked poorly based on scouts viewing him as a CB and BB views him as a centerfield FS. If he knew he was going to trade back to at least the 5th round and was drafting for the safety position who else does anyone view as without a doubt the better to fill this role?

If BB viewed him as a #2 do you really all believe that not one other team would've viewed him the same? If we passed on him and someone else took him and he was a stud by Nov this forum would be filled with rants about how we missed the safety that we needed to solidify our secondary and ended up with a DT playing in a rotation.

I see know reason why we all can just trust the coach and scouts who took us to 5 of the last 10 super bowls.
Duck.
Here comes the onslaught of insults that accuse you of blindly trusting Belichick. Of course, as you stated, it isn't blind, its based upon a track record, but you have committed a vile act against the negative crowd who will now invalidate your opinion as mindlessly saying BB can never be wrong.

I think Wilson will be a decent starter within a year. It's the Dennard pick that almost had me tossing stuff at my TV.

Last edited:
I think Wilson will be a decent starter within a year. It's the Dennard pick that almost had me tossing stuff at my TV.

7th round picks have about a 1 in 50 shot of becoming solid long term players. No reason to throw anything at the TV. They could have drafted Betty White, and most likely get as much as 90% of the 7th round picks will ever contribute.

Huh.

A seventh rounder has you tossing stuff at your telly, an absolute baller who'll be able to go toe to toe with some of the best.

I know you criticised him on his Senior Bowl performance but he's a press guy and wasn't being used in that way there. He's scheme specific as a corner, but he's damn good within that scheme.

Good game for him. Versatile guy. Gunner. Played a lot of corner, a lot in the slot. Moves like a corner. Blitzed a lot and reasonably effectively. Not a great job anticipating the ball and looking back.
Not an NFL corner, but as a safety that coverage skills, which were a lot of man as a corner in this game, look like a plus.

I think the main problem with this pick, was that he would absolutely still be available, in 6th-7th round.

If BillB traded the 2nd rounder for more picks, BillB would still get him in the 6th round.

So, the "price" of a 2nd rounder for Wilson is too high.

Nobody, mocks or experts had Tavon ranked. No team wouldve selected Wilson in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds... Essentially, BillB overspend.

The sad part is that BillB's drafting of DBs has not been very good last 5yrs..

Yeah I'm expecting that.. I don't think he never does anything wrong I mean every coach/GM has good and bad picks but based on his historical data BB does far more good then bad and I will even say he has a unique ability to find ways to utilize the bad in a manor less catastrophic then most. Look what Haynsworth did in Washington when they made there mistake, well BB also made a mistake but was able to use the situation as motivation for young players like Love and Deadrick. If I'm a 7th rounder or UDFA and I'm watching my coach cut or bench name brands like Chad and Albert I'm working that much harder because I know everyone is expendable and not above the team. From a scouting percepective can I point out Sterling Moore a UDFA DB was the only reason we made the SB.

So based on the years I've followed BB has done me correctly as a Patriots so I'm going to take his side over fans who don't know how good they have it.

Belichick is the best coach in the NFL he makes mistakes but he has done more for New England then any other coach in our history and that earns him the right to make these choices and have us support them as fans.

I think the main problem with this pick, was that he would absolutely still be available, in 6th-7th round.

If BillB traded the 2nd rounder for more picks, BillB would still get him in the 6th round.

So, the "price" of a 2nd rounder for Wilson is too high.

Nobody, mocks or experts had Tavon ranked. No team wouldve selected Wilson in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds... Essentially, BillB overspend.

SD had him in for a personal workout they picked a S 1 pick after Wilson was taken by the PAts.

Did you see the SD draft board?

If not who informed you that SD wouldn't have taken WIlson?

You have absolutely no way of knowing that.

This is what you are saying. From your living roon you are certain that you know no one would have drafted him, and from the War Room Bill Belichick felt that he would get scooped up if they traded down (otherwise as his history shows he trades down to take him later) and you are saying there is absolutely no question that you are a better judge of this than Bill Belichick.
You can't think that is a reasonable opinion to have.

I don't understand how people know this.

Meriwhether long time starter 2 probowls
Mccourty rookie starter, probowler, 2nd team all pro
Chung starter
Dowling started his first game as a rookie before getting injured

I think you might want to reconsider that judgment.

I don't understand how people know this.

They don't. It's a pretty basic concept that if you have to make up something to support your argument, you don't have a strong one.
That doesn't make Wilson a better player than he is, but it kind of blows away the 'its a bad pick because you could have traded down and gotten him later' argument.

Two other AFC teams, believed to be the Chargers and Texans, had a second round grade on him. The Chargers had the pick directly after the Pats picked him. Try again.

Two other AFC teams, believed to be the Chargers and Texans, had a second round grade on him. The Chargers had the pick directly after the Pats picked him. Try again.

I'm curious, where'd you get this info? Not saying I disagree with you because I tend to believe Belichick wouldn't have taken him that early if he didn't feel there was a risk of losing him. I just haven't seen anything that supported that argument.

I'm curious, where'd you get this info? Not saying I disagree with you because I tend to believe Belichick wouldn't have taken him that early if he didn't feel there was a risk of losing him. I just haven't seen anything that supported that argument.

First part was a tweet from a guy who had talked to a scout. Can't find that Tweet right now, but I'm looking. Texans part was from a budding media member that posts on another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News