PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tank Williams placed on IR, CB Jeff Shoate signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tank Williams placed on IR...

Always the secondary getting bashed apart.

i think he tore his 3rd metatarsal on the posterial cruchit ligaments.

my brother is in medical knee school and sometimes i read his books.
It sounds like you've been reading the scraps from his shredder! ;)

This F-ing BLOWS. It pisses me off completely that this happened. d%#*!@t. I ereally wanted to see this guy, in the secondary AND at ILB in sub-packages. It's a significant loss.

We have Harrison, Meriweather and Sanders. I don't think we lost anyone from last year did we ? Samuel and Gay were CB, who is gone at Safety ? I assume we will keep Spann who has had a good camp and can play S/CB.

Don't forget Lewis Sanders who is also a CB/S.

And, since WIlliams was playing mostly at 1st tea ILB, I think it means the Pats are shorter at ILB than at Safety.

What's the over/under that Seau will be in practice by the next pre-season game?

Also throw in the lackluster play of FA Hobson...yes...I do think that is very possible..Seay might be on the horizon now....I doubt LSanders is a Tank type player..much less weight...he might be able to play safety..but he's not an ILB hybrid..maybe someone like a Lynch could be brought in to play that part..I do not know..

Also throw in the lackluster play of FA Hobson...yes...I do think that is very possible..Seay might be on the horizon now....I doubt LSanders is a Tank type player..much less weight...he might be able to play safety..but he's not an ILB hybrid..maybe someone like a Lynch could be brought in to play that part..I do not know..

P, was Hobson really that bad? I didn't pay attention to his play. How bad was he?

What's the over/under that Seau will be in practice by the next pre-season game?
Depends how healthy he is, unless he was playing the injury up on the interview it sounded like he may not be ready. Sounded like there's a decent chance he'll be with us this year sometime, though. Coming out of camp it's looking like Bruschi, Mayo, and two of Alexander, Hobson and Guyton.

Tank was listed at 6'2" 223, 1' and 13 lbs more than Sanders who plays CB, but is a career STs ace. Entering his 9th season Sanders has some of coverage skill set needed in the nickel/dime packages, and with the exception of Rodney, he's the biggest (tall + weight) DB in the arsenal. Will BB work him into that mix - who can say - but as long as we're speculating, he's the most logical candidate to use when you want a small nickel/big dime on the field.
On STs he's been involved in avoiding, stacking, and shedding blocks, you don't get to be a career STs ace without tackling skill, and if he doesn't carry Tank's bulk/speed/strength package, how many do? Should be fun to watch what happens going forward. :D

Don't forget Lewis Sanders who is also a CB/S.

And, since WIlliams was playing mostly at 1st tea ILB, I think it means the Pats are shorter at ILB than at Safety.

I think a lot depends on Hobson's performances in the next couple of

weeks. If he cannot deliver, Seau is on his way.

Tank was listed at 6'2" 223, 1' and 13 lbs more than Sanders who plays CB, but is a career STs ace. Entering his 9th season Sanders has some of coverage skill set needed in the nickel/dime packages, and with the exception of Rodney, he's the biggest (tall + weight) DB in the arsenal. Will BB work him into that mix - who can say - but as long as we're speculating, he's the most logical candidate to use when you want a small nickel/big dime on the field.
On STs he's been involved in avoiding, stacking, and shedding blocks, you don't get to be a career STs ace without tackling skill, and if he doesn't carry Tank's bulk/speed/strength package, how many do? Should be fun to watch what happens going forward. :D
One of the skills Rodney brings to the game is beating the crap out of TEs. He got a lot of bad press from some of the mediots like Felger who apparently didn't have time to replay the game, but I thought Rodney did a pretty good job at jamming Gates and Witten at the line, shadowing them and knocking down passes and when all else failed, tackling them for a short gain.

This is where Tank would have been great. Beating the stuffing out of TEs in the 5-yd chuck area. Next year.

Meantime, Sanders has the size and better speed and coverage to handle TEs. I see him able to handle guys like Clark, who is too fast for Rodney and too big for Hobbs or Wheatley (though I'll always remember Hobbs pulling Gates to the turf by his ass.) But I don't think he has the size/punch capability, like Tank to wear down a TE.

Certainly Mayo can do it. Mayo/Williams would have been great in a 3rd down package. Maybe Guyton someday.

I'm bummed that Tank went down, but this team might have some serious options at ILB someday. I'm looking forward to seeing how Guyton performs in the next game.

I think a lot depends on Hobson's performances in the next couple of

weeks. If he cannot deliver, Seau is on his way.

I wonder how this would be orchestrated? Let's say that Seau needs more rehab time for the collarbone. Sign Seau soon and put him on PUP so he doesn't count against the 53. Keep Hobson temporarily and then make the ILB 53 roster decision 6-7 weeks into the season. Hobson's cap hit is small.

Last edited:
Didn't know Guyton and Redd played safety.

Seriously, Ventrone and Spann are the ones the team can now look to.

Per Projo.com...could open a spot for a Guyton or a Redd
possibly.

Didn't know Guyton and Redd played safety.

Seriously, Ventrone and Spann are the ones the team can now look to.
That's assuming the roster slot is used for a Saftey...

I understand. Belichick is the champion of the six safety defensive set. :) Belichick loves his safeties and almost always keeps 5-6. There figures be at least one more beyond Harrison, Sanders and Meriweather. My guess is tha Ventrone is feeling great, good enough to play emergency WR.

That's assuming the roster slot is used for a Saftey...

I understand. Belichick is the champion of the six safety defensive set. :) Belichick loves his safeties and almost always keeps 5-6. There figures be at least one more beyond Harrison, Sanders and Meriweather. My guess is tha Ventrone is feeling great, good enough to play emergency WR.
I'm leaning toward Spann and Slater with Ventrone getting 3rd year on the Practice Squad. But L. Sanders made a case for himself Thursday as a hybrid big CB/S.

Lewis Sanders is making a case for himself as the #4 corner.

I'm leaning toward Spann and Slater with Ventrone getting 3rd year on the Practice Squad. But L. Sanders made a case for himself Thursday as a hybrid big CB/S.

Last edited:
Lewis Sanders is making a case for himself as the #4 corner.
Depends on if Wilhite and Richardson can get back soon and keep developing. I also think Webster is a better player than Lewis if he can ever get back to practice, but Lew may beat him anyway just on role needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes