PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tale of Two Tight Ends: Gronkowski and Hernandez Have to Make Changes

I don't know what trade you guys are talking about, but would you guys deal Gronk for a big-time pass-rusher or defensive player?

Gronk for Suh? Imagine Suh and Wilfork on the interior.....

If a trade did occur, I would use one of NEs high picks on another DE (pass rusher) The Pats DL was lights out with Warren (1st) Wilfork (1st) and Seymour (1st)

Jones (1st) Wilfork (1st) Draft pick (1st)

yup.....and both QB's in the SB are pretty young......should the pats dump brady? maybe it's not the TE's.......maybe it's the QB.......it ended the same way whetehr the passing game is what it is now just like it did when they were breaking all offensive records in 2007....just saying......your logic is really weak....AT BEST

Brady isnt the problem.

The problem is that the Pats have gone away from the "team winning" approach and put all their chips on Brady. Flacco has a team built around him and if you hadnt noticed that team is better than the Pats.

Brady isnt the problem.

The problem is that the Pats have gone away from the "team winning" approach and put all their chips on Brady. Flacco has a team built around him and if you hadnt noticed that team is better than the Pats.

and neither is gronk.......he's not the one calling the plays......if he is getting the ball so much, it's because someone is calling that

getting back to the original point, gronk has never done anything wrong other than not yielding to the desires of countless spoiled pats fans and media for being like this:
gronk.jpg

and this:
xlarge.jpg

rather than this:
ThinkingMan_inside.jpg

and to that I say: "shaddup.......it's none of your business"

maybe its just envy that none of you will ever be as likeable as him or approachable.....
gronk-uri-speech.jpeg

If a trade did occur, I would use one of NEs high picks on another DE (pass rusher) The Pats DL was lights out with Warren (1st) Wilfork (1st) and Seymour (1st)

Jones (1st) Wilfork (1st) Draft pick (1st)

a little simplistic, don't you think?

all 3 were perfectly healthy in 2005 and the defense sucked why?

bruschi's issues
no phifer

you are really making no sense at all

maybe its just envy that none of you will ever be as likeable as him or approachable.....
gronk-uri-speech.jpeg

I can sympathize with Gronk, having had to endure being a babe magnet for decades

it does look that way.

Thank you for making my point that its all about 1 or 2 Patriot players today instead of 1 Patriot team.

If someone had wanted to bet me in 2005 that Brady and the Pats wouldnt win another Super Bowl in the next 8 years I would have bet the farm that they would. Today, I seriously wonder if Brady and the Pats will ever win another Championship.

Thank you for making my point that its all about 1 or 2 Patriot players today instead of 1 Patriot team.

If someone had wanted to bet me in 2005 that Brady and the Pats wouldnt win another Super Bowl in the next 8 years I would have bet the farm that they would. Today, I seriously wonder if Brady and the Pats will ever win another Championship.

But you have made no point

But you have made no point

I have.

Gronk on pace for 17tds ends in failure. Injuries are going to happen this coming season as well and the most diversified teams will get passed them while the teams dependent on a couple of star players wont.

Parcells calls those team 1 trick ponies.

I don't know what trade you guys are talking about, but would you guys deal Gronk for a big-time pass-rusher or defensive player?

Gronk for Suh? Imagine Suh and Wilfork on the interior.....

Considering how overrated Suh is, I'd have to assume BB would only make this move after having consumed a fifth of Jim Beam.

I have.

Gronk on pace for 17tds ends in failure. Injuries are going to happen this coming season as well and the most diversified teams will get passed them while the teams dependent on a couple of star players wont.

Take away LT and BP probably never wins a SB as a coach. Pretty much every team has a lynchpin player or two, so Parcells can shut the hell up.

I have.

Get rid of everyone who does too much......that's just plain stupid.....you make no sense

If a team came calling and offered a 1st round pick or a high 2nd for Gronk would you take it? Im not sure how his contract is structured but would hope the Pats left some wiggle room.

A high second? If Gronkowski went back into the draft, he would be taken top 5 overall... Why in the world would you take a 1st rounder or a high 2nd rounder for a guy that is worth more than you could get in trade.

Honestly can't believe the overreaction to him dancing on stage lol... Best tight end in all of football, could be one of the best ever when its all said and done and people are talking about trading him away now after he gets his first major injury and is 23 years old. He will be dominating the league for another 10+ years.

1. This 2 TE formation is awesome, but I dont see other teams winning Super Bowls with this system. They have at least good 1 TE, yes. Gronk catching 17 TDs is a bad thing because the offense isnt diversified enough should injury occur or defense have success taking him away.

The 2 TE formation has proven to be incredibly effective and gives the offense a lot of diversity. An offense is all about mismatches and Tight Ends are the freak athletes that create the best mismatches... When Gronk is on the field, he is the equivalent of having another Tackle on the line as well as a big, physical receiver that is a touchdown machine. We like to run no huddle a lot, there is no better player in the NFL than Gronkowski for doing that because he dominates in the run game as well as the pass game... That is incredibly rare to find in a TE.

2. Gronk doesnt seem to be getting the message. You just had surgery and youre wrestling in Vegas? He seems to make a lot of bad decisions.

A lot of bad decisions? Please tell me how you define "a lot" of bad decisions... The only time his decision making has ever even come up was recently due to this video being leaked by TMZ with an insane amount of hyperbole in the title, referring to his actions as "BODY SLAMMING" someone in all capital letters.. which was not even close to what happened.

Its incredibly subjective as well in terms of it being a "bad decision." This isn't a guy thats getting drunk and then getting behind the wheel of his car, or beating his girlfriend, or committing a double homicide, or getting into an altercation with someone... This is a 23 year old kid who was caught DANCING at a club... lol... THE NERVE OF THIS GUY!

3. The Pats have Ballard and Hernandez on the roster and if they wanted another TE these NFL drafts are full of good TEs: Jimmy Graham was a 3rd, Dennis Pitta was a 4th.

Yea the draft is just full of guys like Gronkowski... How many picks have the Pats used on tight ends since 2001? None of them performed up to their draft status... it wasn't until 3 years ago when they got Hernandez and Gronk that the TE position was finally solidified... and BB acknowledged as much by doing something very out of character for him and extended both of their contracts 2 years early, investing nearly $90 million in both of them over the course of the deals...

4. The Pats would have either 2 - 1sts/2nd or 1st/2 -2nds. They could draft a WR (field stretcher),CB (best available) and DE (another pass rusher) potentially curing many ills assuming the picks are as good as 2012.

The idea of trading Gronkowski for a 2nd round pick borders on complete and total lunacy... His back concerns and missing an entire year are what dropped him into the high 2nd round of the draft... now that those concerns were put to rest and he has 2 record breaking seasons in his first 2 years and has 38 touchdowns since he started playing, he would be a top 5 pick in any draft and if he hit free agency he would easily be the highest paid TE in the entire league and would be pursued relentlessly by 31 other clubs.

Guys like Gronkowski do not grow on trees. You don't replace a Gronkowski with a 3rd round pick or some promising college prospect...He is a once in a generation type tight end and hes only 23 years old...

Parcells was spot on.. we do have the most spoiled fan base in existence.

I have.

The Patriots have built themselves to be the exact opposite of a 1 trick pony. That is why Gronkowski is such a good player and valuable asset to the team... When hes on the field, he dominates the run game and pass game.. That means they have incredible diversity...

By your logic, they should never pay anyone as a star player. We should have just let Wilfork, Mayo, Mankins, Brady and a cast of others go because you don't want to spend money on any 1 player that dominates at their position... then the team becomes "one dimensional."

You need star players to win in this league. You don't want to be star heavy like the Colts were for most of the 2000's, but you need impact players in the NFL to have a shot at winning, period.

Sorry you lose all credibility when you say you would trade Gronk for a high 2nd rounder. Because if Gronk was a UFA he would be franchised and would take 2 1st round picks in compensation. And most likely the Pats would put the exclusive tag on him anyways.

Back to the original article for a moment:

Tale of Two Tight Ends: Gronkowski and Hernandez Have to Make Changes - Derek's Patriots Blog

Hernandez must improve in two areas before the start of next season. He needs to become more durable, find a way to stay on the field
I enjoy Derek's columns and the podcasts, but I don't follow his ongoing disappointment in Hernandez this past season. The guy had a high ankle sprain; how exactly is that supposed to be avoided, and how exactly is a player that has one supposed to recover and be 100% healthy quicker? It's not as if it was just a simple minor bruise; the Patriots were fortunate that he wasn't lost for the entire season. I don't know what he could have differently on that play (or in the future) in order to 'become more durable, and stay on the field'.

Last edited:
Yeah, that bit doesn't make much sense. How does one become more durable in the sense that their leg will resist another player falling on it?

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back