PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sunday’s NFL Games (week 4)

I don't think this gets enough discussion. It seems that WRs that come here and don't produce get 100% of the blame for their "inability to pick up the system", while Brady's inability to adjust to the tendencies of his WRs escapes criticism. Lafell is a great example. The guy is by no means a superstar, but he has produced ever since his sophomore year in college. He gets to New England, and he's all of the sudden a one meaningless catch a game guy. I think this has much less to do with Lafell (and the others) and much more to do with Brady's tentativeness in the pocket, and his unwillingness to go through his progressions. A great deal of this can be attributed to the extremely poor OL play, but this has been an issue for a couple years now.

To be fair he did have 4 catches for 46 yards Against the Raiders Sunday which is improvement over the first two games. I think he will get better, especially if the pass coverage can improve. Also if he can keep his penalties down he will see the field more. Funny he didn't have 1 penalty all of last season so you would think it's more of learning the offense thing rather than being inept? I'll go with the former.

To be fair he did have 4 catches for 46 yards Against the Raiders Sunday which is improvement over the first two games. I think he will get better, especially if the pass coverage can improve. Also if he can keep his penalties down he will see the field more. Funny he didn't have 1 penalty all of last season so you would think it's more of learning the offense thing rather than being inept? I'll go with the former.

The problem is that he just cannot get open. Like Amendola. Compare Amendola's physique to Edleman; Edleman looks chiseled out of stone, Amendola is chiseled out of a donut. Edleman spend the offseason in the weight room; Amendola spent it eating cheese sandwiches or something...and he will get injured soon.

The problem is that he just cannot get open. Like Amendola. Compare Amendola's physique to Edleman; Edleman looks chiseled out of stone, Amendola is chiseled out of a donut. Edleman spend the offseason in the weight room; Amendola spent it eating cheese sandwiches or something...and he will get injured soon.

What does Amendola eating cheese sandwiches have to do with Brandon Lafell? He got open for 4 catches and 46 yards in his 3rd game with the Patriots so evidently he did get open. Right? And that was an improvement over the first two games? Did you quote the right post?

images

Why are you surprised? Is this the first Brady6 analysis regarding players that you have read?
You run your mouth a lot and it is really unnecessary, I can tell you with certainty I have forgotten more about football than you'll ever know so why don't you save the trash talk for someone else.

Ryan was playing 5th string throughout the preseason, he was sharing 4th string reps with Butler in week 1, he has been forced into the starting lineup due to injuries and he was routinely beat last week. He has not progressed at all after a terrific rookie season and if you don't grasp that you should really go watch the 4 preseason games and the first 3 games of the regular season again.

Last edited:
So many receivers we've heard the same nonsense by Patriot's fans. How the **** do you know how dumb a person is and IF he could have or couldn't have learned the Patriot's playbook. You have no way of knowing whether a player could or couldn't have learned the playbook. You're telling me Deion Branch and David Givens were Rhode Scholars ? Desire plays a lot into whether someone can learn the playbook or not.
If you ever heard Welker speak, you would think he was a complet moron and would have never give him a chance to be a Patriot receiver, yet he turned out to be one of the alltime great at's receievers, and had Brady's utmost trust.

An 11 on the Wonderlic might be a hint.

Really? How many good ones has he had beside the ones I just mentioned? Round 1 or round 8 pick BB has an awful record track record drafting WR. It is not even debatable.

Also, beside Moss and Welker his track record for bringing in WR is equally as poor.

You mean other than the whole bringing in two hall of fame receivers in the prime thing?

You mean other than the whole bringing in two hall of fame receivers in the prime thing?
Welker is not a hall of famer. He wasn't even a starter when they brought him in.

The drafting is actually worse that this summary suggests if you look at the guys the Patriots did NOT take instead of another lemon.

Did you see who the Patriots passed on to draft Brandon "Sharon" Tate? A few picks later, Mike Wallace was taken!!!

BB SUCKS at selecting WRs because he wants boy scouts and hates prima donnas. But I have news for you Bill; the best WRs are (usually) prima donnas - get used to it.

Wallace sucks and would have done absolutely nothing in the Pats system.

Welker is not a hall of famer. He wasn't even a starter when they brought him in.

We'll agree to disagree. No, he wasn't a starter when he got here. Then he caught 672 balls over the next 6 seasons.

"
The Dolphins also dealt receiver Wes Welker to the Patriots for their second- and seventh-round draft picks in April. New England's second-round pick is No. 60 overall.

The 5-foot-9, 195-pound Welker started two games for Miami last season, but led the team in receptions with 67 for 687 yards. He also has been the team's primary punt and kickoff returner. In 2004, when Olindo Mare was hurt, he kicked an extra point and a field goal in a game against the Patriots."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-03-05-2619475797_x.htm

The drafting is actually worse that this summary suggests if you look at the guys the Patriots did NOT take instead of another lemon.

Did you see who the Patriots passed on to draft Brandon "Sharon" Tate? A few picks later, Mike Wallace was taken!!!

BB SUCKS at selecting WRs because he wants boy scouts and hates prima donnas. But I have news for you Bill; the best WRs are (usually) prima donnas - get used to it.

Wholeheartedly disagree. Did you notice that Wallace is at his second team, and they are somewhat disenchanted with him, already. He is undisciplined and his route running is at best uninspired. Marvin Harrison was no PIA Diva, nor was Rice.

He suceeded at Pitt because of Rothlisberger scrambles, and had time to break free and find an opening as Rothlisberger extended the play in his inimitable way. But the Steelers still let him go.

Corderelle Patterson is another blockhead, and I'd take the trade that Belichick did, any day of the week.

Have you noticed all the Lombardi Trophies that Megatron, Vince Jackson, Fitzgerald, Patterson. etc have won? Let me see Z-E-R-O isnt't it? For that matter look at the Playoff games they have been in, O-n-e, possibly two, isn't it?

Seems to be $$$ multi-megabucks $$$ for not much...

a

Wholeheartedly disagree. Did you notice that Wallace is at his second team, and they are somewhat disenchanted with him, already. He is undisciplined and his route running is at best uninspired. Marvin Harrison was no PIA Diva, nor was Rice.

We both know that if Wallace were on the Patriots you would be hyping him as the best WR in the NFL.

He suceeded at Pitt because of Rothlisberger scrambles, and had time to break free and find an opening as Rothlisberger extended the play in his inimitable way. But the Steelers still let him go.

LaFell and Amendola were both let go by the team that drafted them. Does that make them bad receivers in your opinion?

Corderelle Patterson is another blockhead, and I'd take the trade that Belichick did, any day of the week.

I think we could have landed Collins and Ryan in the second and third rounds either way so we traded Patterson for Dobson, Harmon, Boyce, and the pick that we sent to Tampa for Blount. If I told you, we could have drafted Patterson, Collins, and Ryan would you still have made that trade.

Have you noticed all the Lombardi Trophies that Megatron, Vince Jackson, Fitzgerald, Patterson. etc have won? Let me see Z-E-R-O isnt't it? For that matter look at the Playoff games they have been in, O-n-e, possibly two, isn't it?

You consistently overlook that the most essential position in the NFL to the success of a team is the QB, that 9/10 times the Super Bowl has at least 1 of the top 5 QBs playing in it. These WR make a huge difference and we would be a better team with anyone of them and you know it, you are disparaging them only because they are not on our team, and that is just dumb. In addition, Fitzgerald has won an NFC Championship, he has played in 6 playoff games on his own, Jackson played in 7 playoff games during his tenure in San Diego, and Johnson has played in 1 playoff game, that is 14, which is a long way from 1.

Seems to be $$$ multi-megabucks $$$ for not much...

Have you not seen the difference that Randy Moss and Rob Gronkowski have made to this offense over the years? How can you say something so ridiculous having witnessed that first hand as a Patriots fan. You are so caught up and attempting to make everything, the Patriots do sound like the most brilliant move that you spit some complete nonsense. If you read it posted by someone else you would be scratching your head, and we both know that if we had a top 5 WR on the Patriots you would be talking about how Belichick saw the importance of the WR and invested heavily into it.

OK, let's discuss based on your comments. Thank you for your clarifications.

We both agree that we want starting OT's to be 1st or 2nd rounders. Personally, I also think that it reasonable to draft backup OT's (who might become OG's) in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. Cannon and Fleming are such players. If players such as these stay at OT, there are likely to be career backups, which are necessary on any team.

You would prefer starting interior linemen to be all be 2nd or 3rd rounders (or even as high as very late first for a center). If I follow your bottom of post note correctly, the only starters that you value below guards are RB's and Sters (I'm fine with that).

So, everyone other than RB's and STer should be 3rd rounders or higher.
IMHO, that is a very, very unreasonable position. A team has to be able to secure at least SOME starters from the draft after the end of the 3rd round. Of course, we would all "prefer" to have draftees from the first three rounds at every starting position.

Personally, I think it reasonable to find a center in the 4th or 5th and a guard (especially among the OT's) in the 4th or 5th. So, for me, it is reasonable to have drafted Koppen and now Stork with the expectation of having a first or second year starter.

The patriots have the best record in the NFL over many seasons. We have always had UDFA's, low round draftees and middle level UFA's as our interior lineman. Once in awhile, an exception comes. As I recall, Mankins was a college LT, so perhaps even he is that much of an exception.

You know what really is hard for me to understand is why posters like you want to hype Belichick as the greatest coach of all time but yet you only hold him to the standards of every other NFL coach. Personally, I view Belichick as the GOAT head coach and that is why my expectations for him are a lot higher than other coaches so when you talk about his mistakes not being any worse or on par with other coaches that does not impress me, it just sounds dumb in fact. The GOAT should be held to a higher standard than Rex Ryan, so this “well look at the other teams” approach to trying to justify bad decisions is just fluff and spin, Belichick does not have the same allowance for mistakes as other coaches.

You know what really is hard for me to understand is why posters like you want to hype Belichick as the greatest coach of all time but yet you only hold him to the standards of every other NFL coach. Personally, I view Belichick as the GOAT head coach and that is why my expectations for him are a lot higher than other coaches so when you talk about his mistakes not being any worse or on par with other coaches that does not impress me, it just sounds dumb in fact. The GOAT should be held to a higher standard than Rex Ryan, so this “well look at the other teams” approach to trying to justify bad decisions is just fluff and spin, Belichick does not have the same allowance for mistakes as other coaches.
Is English your first language? It is a serious question.

I mentioned ZERO other teams. I pointed out that we should expect Belichick to get some starters with picks after the 3rd round. I pointed out that how ridiculous it is to expect all our starters to be 3rd rounders or higher picks. I pointed out that Belichick has always used later picks for interior linemen, and that this strategy has worked.

I stand by all that I posted.

Don't they give a 6 or so for simply writing your name?
Pretty much.

For reference, Brady got a 33. The average QB score is 24.

Is English your first language? It is a serious question.

I mentioned ZERO other teams. I pointed out that we should expect Belichick to get some starters with picks after the 3rd round. I pointed out that how ridiculous it is to expect all our starters to be 3rd rounders or higher picks. I pointed out that Belichick has always used later picks for interior linemen, and that this strategy has worked.

I stand by all that I posted.
Actually I didn't mean to quote your post I'm not sure why it linked like that.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back