PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Summary of CBA as approved by owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they canceled the HOF game. The years that the Patriots don't play in that game, I almost watch it.

I've grown so disenchanted by the bull**** & bad faith that I am at the point where I don't care if they play this season or not. Let both sides lose tons of cash. See if I give a rat's (_._)

Well, they canceled the HOF game. The years that the Patriots don't play in that game, I almost watch it.

The sad thing is most of the revenue generated from that game goes to Canton and the HOF...

A few more bits and pieces on the financials from Brandt. Miminum salaries going up $55K. $15K per year thereafter. Cash spending for teams doesn't kick in until 2013 and at 89% of cap. League as a whole has to spent 99% of cap in cash in 2012-13. Thereafter 95%. There is no cap exemption as many reported, it's the ability to borrow $3M from future caps for use on veteran players. There will still be some form of vet minimum deals but not sure what. Will still be performance pay for overachievers.

We have a (proposed) deal | National Football Post

This proposal will not substantially change the game as we know it, glad to see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

What is concerning are the very tight time frames, lots to do in that period. Pretty confident that our brain trust is prepared and raring to go... other teams lack of organization may be detrimental.

A few more bits and pieces on the financials from Brandt. Miminum salaries going up $55K. $15K per year thereafter. Cash spending for teams doesn't kick in until 2013 and at 89% of cap. League as a whole has to spent 99% of cap in cash in 2012-13. Thereafter 95%. There is no cap exemption as many reported, it's the ability to borrow $3M from future caps for use on veteran players. There will still be some form of vet minimum deals but not sure what. Will still be performance pay for overachievers.

We have a (proposed) deal | National Football Post

Gotta be nice these days to be in an industry where salary goes up over 10% and benefits increase as well!

A snipet from the management council briefing for team execs... Gameday actives increased to 46, but there is no longer an exemption for the 3rd QB.

I hope there is no football.

Next year start it up. 2 draft classes x 3 and 4 years of length. I'm great w/ that.

it would be better if there was no NFL plus we would have Mallet for 4 years starting next season.

LOCKOUT PLZ:rocker:

im sick of this ****... too much has been stunted in terms of development

Pats usually open TC around July 27th or so.....

What has been lost? The guys who stayed in shape by working out regularly will be fine......My guess is that playbooks have been in certain rookies hands for a while.....

Pats are in better shape for this than most teams.....

Debbie Downer :eek:

you know, after the past 24 hours, and listening to these sub 80 IQ ,(how can I say this gently?)...uh...MORONS...lash out at the owners and assert there is NO timetable for a settlement, I say, well, to hell with it. How about the owners just wipe the slate clean. Start a new NFL with totally new players, slash payroll, slash ticket prices for the fans,look to television for revenue to cover costs and we all go back to the days when we could take the whole family to a game without having to second mortgage the house?

Then Bart Scott and Joey Porter and James Harrison and Rapistberger and Sanraperchez and the rest of the dysfunctional moron brigade can experience what it's like to have to hold a REAL job in the REAL world.

As long as every team starts off the same, what's the difference...in a few years the game would be right back up to speed and we'd all be better off for it.

I hope there is no football.

Next year start it up. 2 draft classes x 3 and 4 years of length. I'm great w/ that.

it would be better if there was no NFL plus we would have Mallet for 4 years starting next season.

LOCKOUT PLZ:rocker:

im sick of this ****... too much has been stunted in terms of development

Lucky for us nobody cares what you hope...

You can't imagine why player reps, who haven't been in all the negotiations, would be hesitant to sign on to a deal that, at first blush, is bad for the players compared to the previous deal and doesn't seem to require the owners to settle their intra group issues re: revenue sharing?

It doesn't look good compared to the old deal? Is that your contention? I see this as a huge win for the players. They now get to get paid more or at least the same for doing LESS work. They created a salary cap floor that IMHO is ridiculous, getting 99% for this year and slightly less going forward. This is amazing since SOP has been to have between 3-5MM available in cap space for in season moves. Now the BEST they can have is 1.2MM for 201j1 This will be a real bad year to have the injury bug hit you. Teams are going to be severely restricted

They have lessened SIGNIFICANTLY padded practices and off season training programs. I question how this will improve the quality of the game, but it makes the players job much easier. Hence the remark about getting paid the same for doing less. They also get to take of a huge percentage of the rookie cap money savings. They also get to keep more of their money because the agents' fee has dropped from 3% to 2.

DI, exactly WHERE are the "bad" parts of this deal for the players :rolleyes:

The only losers in this deal were the the rookies who don't really deserve the money they were
getting and the agents, which makes me happy. Players should be flocking to where ever they have to go to get this deal done . Why wouldn't they???????

Last edited:
NFL.com news: NFL clubs approve comprehensive agreement

FWIW, the vote was 31-0, with only Crazy Al abstaining. :rolleyes:

In terms of what we've been arguing about the last few weeks, ALL drafted rookies will be limited to four-year terms; there will be team options for a fifth year for first-rounders.

Overall the "highlights" look good. but remember the actual CBA is a 400+ page document. There's plenty of room for a crafty contract writer to sneak in little things in the "fine print" that might favor one side over the other. The players' lawyers will go over this thing with a fine toothed comb before anyone signs anything. Obviously the lawyers should work as long as needed to get this done on time. Like everyone else I'm tired of the lockout and just want it to be over. But I can understand why it will take time for such a massive document to be absorbed, understood, and finally voted upon.

Let's be clear, the Agreement was agreed to. The only remaining question is to review
1) changes the owners made as a result of the previous discussion, and
2) changes that the owners unilaterally added (like owner's revenue sharing). Revenue-sharing is not up for debate, but the players' representatives need to check to see whether anything else has slipped in. I know that you folks think that the owners' lawyers would never do such a thing on purpose.

There is no reason to be re-hashing old issues.

Overall the "highlights" look good. but remember the actual CBA is a 400+ page document. There's plenty of room for a crafty contract writer to sneak in little things in the "fine print" that might favor one side over the other. The players' lawyers will go over this thing with a fine toothed comb before anyone signs anything. Obviously the lawyers should work as long as needed to get this done on time. Like everyone else I'm tired of the lockout and just want it to be over. But I can understand why it will take time for such a massive document to be absorbed, understood, and finally voted upon.

Last edited:
Let's be clear, the Agreement was agreed to. The only remaining question is to review
1) changes the owners made as a result of the previous discussion.
2) changes that the owners unilaterally added.

There is no reason to be re-hashing old issues.
Is that clear? Ive ignored it today but as of this morning the reports were that it was a knee jerk reaction and no one really has confirmed they believe things were changed/added. Wilson and Evans were saying that last night but never did give any example, even when pressed.

Is that clear? Ive ignored it today but as of this morning the reports were that it was a knee jerk reaction and no one really has confirmed they believe things were changed/added. Wilson and Evans were saying that last night but never did give any example, even when pressed.

And I saw Evans on NFLN this morning. Between his verbal gymnastics and furious backtracking he must have pulled a hammy.

so much for "a little past the 4th of July"

so much for "July 18th"

what other date will they give us that will be incorrect?:confused:

BS
It's the 21st century.
First, documents are digital so a simple software scan highlights ANY changes. NOTHING can be snuck in.
Secondly, were they not digital which would astound me, it's the 21st century and they can be scanned, digitized and any differences highlighted.
The mere existence of ANY changes not previously discussed and agreed would show bad faith and were I De I'd embarrass the Hell out of the owners in public were this the case, which it is not.

Last edited:
One thing I agree with the Players on is they are a real union.

A bunch overpaid under educated workers being led by a former Democrat political hack................sounds like a union to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes