PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Summary of CBA as approved by owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the biggest changes seems to me a limit on padded practices:

The parties have agreed that, during the 17-week regular season, teams will conduct only 14 practices in pads.

Let’s repeat that. During the 17-week regular season, teams will have a maximum of only 14 padded practices.

More specifically, teams can have 11 padded practices during the first 11 weeks of the season, with two padded practices permitted in a given week only once. Then, for the final six weeks of the season, a total of three padded practices may be conducted.

In-season padded practices would plummet under new CBA | ProFootballTalk

Here's what Reiss said:

Consider this comment from Belichick in the early days of last year's training camp, "A big part of camp [is] going through it day by day and putting your team under stress and seeing how they react to those situations – judge their conditioning and staying power, mental and physical toughness, and durability. I think that’s an important part of getting your team ready for the 16-game regular-season schedule that we have to face."

Here are some quick-hits on how Belichick approached training camp in 2010:

1. Four of the first five days of camp featured two-a-day practices, all in full pads.

2. Joint practices with the Saints were held with one two-a-day session. Both practices were in full pads.

3. Belichick put the team through 17 straight practices (12 full pads*, 3 walkthroughs, 2 in shorts/light shoulder pads) before giving players a day off.

Eliminating 2-a-days & its effect on Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Obviously it'll affect all teams as Casserly mentioned on NFLN this week, BB is the best coach in the NFL and probably leads the league in padded practices.

I think most of us have seen the SoundFX with BB and he says how when he was with the Giants they were in pads every Friday. He's a big fan of them :D

So it appears that the 89% cash spending floor for team will not commence until 2013 and be averaged over two 4 year periods 2013-2016 and 2017-2020. Teams don't "have to" spend wildly to achieve their cash minimum this year or focus on it until 2013.

It seems that other than timelines the terms of the agreement announced by owners last week remain essentially the same. The only outstanding issue that remains is apparently whether or not players can file for workmen's comp in CA if they played one game in that state. That will apparently remain a matter of contention to be settled by a court eventually...

So I don't think there was ever any subterfuge by ownership, just a case of the reps not being satisfied with what the deal was and De not wanting to hardsell it to them. Over the last few days nothing changed except the timelines...

Was there any option for breaking out of the contract after 5 or 7 years or does the contract run for 10 years?

Ten years no opt out.

Here is a good basic summary of the new rules as distributed to Agents by the NFLPA.

Complete Text: Brief of New NFL CBA to Player Agents

Seem to track the agreement the owners approved on Thursday. Only item still outstanding is the workmen's comp filing question and that will continue to be litigated (where players can file). So the players gained nothing in the stall but time to digest the deal as agreed to...

In the last couple of weeks there has been some discussion about whether or not dead cap money will be counted against this year's cap. Specifically, some (Jets fans, for example) have been stating/hoping dead cap money would not count against the cap based on the theory that this is a new CBA; others have assumed the status quo will continue and dead cap money will count against the cap.

Has anybody seen or heard anything definitive on the subject? There are some articles out about teams that are over the cap, but I haven't seen anything about whether or not this (dead cap money) is still the case in this new CBA. The reason I ask is that it will make a big difference for certain teams, such as the Jets.

Can we just delete this thread? I do not want to see the words CBA, lockout, or negotiations any more!

FOOTBALL IS BACK BABY!

So the players gained nothing in the stall but time to digest the deal as agreed to...

It appears to me that the players gained getting paid for offseason workout bonus money.

It appears to me that the players gained getting paid for offseason workout bonus money.

I thought I heard quite a while ago that this was likely to be paid.

In the last couple of weeks there has been some discussion about whether or not dead cap money will be counted against this year's cap. Specifically, some (Jets fans, for example) have been stating/hoping dead cap money would not count against the cap based on the theory that this is a new CBA; others have assumed the status quo will continue and dead cap money will count against the cap.

Has anybody seen or heard anything definitive on the subject? There are some articles out about teams that are over the cap, but I haven't seen anything about whether or not this (dead cap money) is still the case in this new CBA. The reason I ask is that it will make a big difference for certain teams, such as the Jets.

I believe if dead cap had been forgiven we would have heard about it. I think when Jeff Pash stated last Thursday that the salary cap was the same as it's always been he was indicating no fundamental changes in the way it has been and will continue to be handled.

Amazing how all these Jet fans log on here and feign complete ignorance....let's get it out there...The Jets are a completely corrupt organization, ethically and morally bankrupt.

Mo - the pdf cited elsewhere here specificly EXCLUDES dead cap proration into 2011 for players cut by March 11th. A windfall for the Jets that by strange coincidence they had taken full advantage of. Wonders never cease.

http://assets.espn.go.com/pdf/2011/0725/nfl_2011_fa_rules01.pdf

Read Section 5 b 1

That's a different pdf than the one linked by Miguel earlier in this thread. If in fact this is the final document, it would appear some special interests got consideration. Go figure...

Those who did not take advantage and are now cutting players with dead cap they could have let go last March can't be too happy. Haynesworth comes to mind...As well as some of Jerry's boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back