Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stud WR Won't Fix Anything (Remember 2007?)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DropKickFlutie, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +486 / 4 / -2

#34 Jersey

Exactly - but you don't necessarily need a "stud" to do that, just someone younger and better than someone like Branch who can also do what you're suggesting. They really need a couple of decent perimeter guys who are in their late 20's instead of early 30's, or they need to draft one. But they need to get a little younger down the depth chart and at least have guys who have some speed and can get separation on the outside.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,541 / 20 / -8

#95 Jersey

they need more help on D than they do on O..that's for sure

3. Ian

Ratings:
    +486 / 4 / -2

#34 Jersey

No question, but it's still an issue. Although I don't think they need to break the bank to solve it and would rather see them spend more on the secondary to stabilize it heading into next year.

4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,079 / 43 / -16

Teams had to gameplan for Moss and teams had to gameplan for Gronk. Different reasons. Similar results. Also, Gronk adds an element in the running game that Moss couldn't offer. Moss was a good run blocker for a WR, but that is nothing compared to an elite run blocking TE like Gronk.

5. Brady_to_Moss

Ratings:
    +2,541 / 20 / -8

#95 Jersey

If you knew we had ahren and ballard at 100%...would you rather have megatron with brady..or gronk. Factor in injuries, age ect

just curious

6. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +4,079 / 43 / -16

A stud WR does not mean everything. Last year the offense was good enough to be a minute away from winning the Super Bowl with a hobbled Gronk and no stud WR. They were the third highest scoring offense of all time this year without a stud WR.

You can only dedicate so much money to your receiving corp. Both Gronk and Hernandez got big deals. If Welker stays, he will get a big deal. They can't afford to pay a stud WR on top of that.

A stud WR is nice to have, but not neccessary. Unless Gronk continues to get injured for the playoffs year after year, he is just as effective as most stud WRs.

7. olschool

olschool Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The reason why they come up short, is that this offense runs into defenses that MAKE them come up short.

If the Pats defense could have held the Ravens to 12 points on Sunday, we wouldn't be having this discussion, we'd be waiting for the Superbowl.

8. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +4,079 / 43 / -16

The problem with this hypothetical is that is something that would never happen. We will never have this option. Megatron is never going to leave Detriot.

Yes, if Detriot was going to trade Megatron for Gronk straight up I say go for it. Never will happen, but sure. I have said that Gronk is just as much an impact on the offense and requires just as much attention as MOST stud WRs EXCEPT Magatron, Larry Fitzgerald, and maybe a few others.

If you were going to rank all receivers no matter the position (both WRs and TEs), I would put Gronk in the 5-10 range while Megatron would be #1.

9. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +4,079 / 43 / -16

+10000. The current Pats offense with a much better defense would more likely win the Super Bowl than the Pats' offense with the addition of a stud WR and only minor upgrades to the defense.

10. Brady_to_Moss

Ratings:
    +2,541 / 20 / -8

#95 Jersey

that's what i am talking about..just say a strait up trade..i would hope people would pick johnson so long as we have other TEs (ballard and ahern)

11. UofApatsfan

UofApatsfan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This pretty much took a steamy ***** on the OP.

12. Ian

Ratings:
    +486 / 4 / -2

#34 Jersey

I don't know...tough to trade Gronk for a WR because he's basically as good of a blocker as he as pass-catcher. As Bedard pointed out, that was something they really missed Sunday because Hernandez and everyone else struggled. But obviously this is a hypothetical discussion anyway ;)

13. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,962 / 36 / -63

No Jersey Selected

That's the best plan, IMO. Sign Welker, sign Talib, draft said WR, and draft enforcer safety.

14. UofApatsfan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I could see filling the hole at receiver with a rookie since that player won't be relied on to do too much. If Gronk is healthy and Welker is resigned, the only real need they have at receiver is someone who can draw a safety away from the middle of the field.

On the flip side, IMO, the safety they need isn't someone who can be found in the draft even if they had a top 10 pick to use. Whoever they put at safety next to McCourty needs to be someone who provides nastiness and leadership in addition to being an enforcer. I don't see a rookie safety coming in and initially doing anything to change the attitude of the defense.

15. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,962 / 36 / -63

No Jersey Selected

I stated draft for a couple of reasons...

1. I don't see Reed coming aboard after the Super Bowl visit.

2. This is a VERY deep draft for safeties.

16. UofApatsfan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well idk who suggested Reed but regardless I agree with the fact that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Reed comes here.

I understand this draft is deep with safeties, but like I said their need at strong safety goes beyond talent or potential.

17. UofApatsfan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Plus even if he would come here, Ed Reed isn't a hard hitter/enforcer and he's always been the one guy on Baltimore who's classy and humble after every game. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it's not the personality they need at strong safety. They have quiet players at every other position on defense.

18. olschool

olschool Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Totally agree.

BB wouldn't trade Gronk for Jerry Rice in his prime. Gronk's blocking is one of the main reasons the running game is so improved. He's a double threat that Sunday's game proved would be difficult to replace.

19. coolguy

coolguy Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"Stud WR Won't Fix Anything (Remember 2007?)" Remember how horrible a route runner randy moss was/is?

Randy moss is completely worthless when his quarter back don't have time to wait for him to get open.

Greg jennings is a great route runner

20. UofApatsfan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are plenty of receivers who run great routes but would struggle when the defense gets as much pressure as the Giants got with 4 man rushes in that game.

Even though Brady DID have limited weapons outside of Welker and Moss in that game, the big problem was a line that played elite all year and then fell apart. Fortunately that problem was fixed this preseason and Denver now has to deal with Dan Koppen's habit of getting abused by elite 3-4 defenses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.