PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sterling Moore waived, Derrick Martin signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derrick Martin is a top special teamer. Since Carpenter and Moore are gone, and Cole is nursing a hammy, then it makes sense to sign a special teamer.

Belichick preferred Rivera to Carpenter before. It's back to the decision earlier this season.
===================

What makes no sense to me is cutting Moore when Cole is injured. I must presume that McCourty is back to safety to start opposite Dennard, with Arrington as our nickel back, perhaps being replaced by Cole when he is healthy. Surely, neither Martin nor Williams are getting reps at corner. I've got to think that Moore is more valuable on the 53 than Williams, especially after the addition of the two special teamers.

Last edited:
moore isn't very good...no big deal with this move at all

I must presume that McCourty is back to safety to start opposite Dennard, with Arrington as our nickel back, perhaps being replaced by Cole when he is healthy.
safety or cornerback? :confused:

I have to say I'm a bit surprised at this move but I am hoping it signals a return to health for a few of our defensive backs. I know Moore wasn't great but I thought he was no worse than Arrington and filled in quite well against the Rams.

Just hope we can get all our DB's back and on the field.

moore isn't very good...no big deal with this move at all
Defensive secondary deja vu?

2011 Ras-I Dowling placed on IR
2012 Ras-I Dowling placed on IR

2011 Leigh Bodden cut during season
2012 Sterling Moore cut during season

Must be Halloween!

He's not serviceable as a nickel. He's not serviceable as a dime. He's not serviceable as a safety.

Is he serviceable in a house?
Is he serviceable with a mouse?
Is he serviceable here or there?
Is he serviceable anywhere?

Well, I saw some speculation that Moore's knee injury might be negatively affecting him similarly to how Bodden's injury was affecting his play. Playing CB in the NFL is hard enough with two good legs.

Must be Halloween!

Moore was also cut during 2011 season :eek:

Must be Halloween!

dowling was a given..i said last year he was glass and i got crap

Moore was also cut during 2011 season :eek:

More than once, if i'm not mistaken.

I don't know about his injury, but i wouldn't be surprised if this is an attempt to get him on the practice squad. If he's eligible, that is.

I don't care what suckage people propose, we get injuries a lot and we're not exactly stocked with all pros in the secondary, nor are teams giving any away.

Last edited:
More than once, if i'm not mistaken.

I don't know about his injury, but i wouldn't be surprised if this is an attempt to get him on the practice squad. If he's eligible, that is.

I don't care what suckage people propose, we get injuries a lot and we're not exactly stocked with all pros in the secondary, nor are teams giving any away.

Yup:

Following up on Sterling Moore move - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
It's possible that the Patriots are playing some odds here. Moore could still return on the practice squad this season and even in 2013 (if he's not claimed by another team). Had he played one more regular-season game, Moore's future practice squad eligibility would have been affected.

In that case, the Patriots could have the best of both worlds -- addressing what they apparently view as an immediate need with Martin special-teams wise, while still keeping Moore around on the practice squad to add depth at cornerback.

We still have time to see him hit the practice field, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Pryor situation is a shame, because he may have actually been a halfway decent rotational interior presence on passing downs.

You can't make the club from the tub, as the saying goes.

I'm not writing off Pryor just yet, but I will soon.

Visante Shianco disagrees :D

Moore made some clutch plays. Unfortunately, the vast majority of those clutch plays came after getting beaten initially. Thanks for the swat in the title game, and best of luck with the rest of you're career, Sterling.

Does anyone know if Moore would've lost out on PS eligibility if he was put on IR? Would a mid-season IR give him credit for a full season?

If he's hurt and they released him instead of putting him on IR...
He's not good.

Reminds me of:

You're not, uh... you're not... You're not good. You stink.
google-image-result-for-http-thewolfmancometh-files-wordpress-com-2011-05-chevy-chase-and-rodney-dangerfield-caddyshack-png-ec919420-sz500x281-animate.png

My own reading of the situation as I like Moore as an underdog player.

Moore has a banged up knee. It is not a season ending injury but a several weeks will help. He is a back of the roster player who has practice squad eligability now, but would not if he stayed on the roster. He is not likely to get picked up off of waivers given his overall talent and current injury. There a rsk he gets taken off of waivers but a team would need to give up a roster spot for a guy who is of "JAG" talent, who is injured and who does not know the new team's defensive system.

Pats opened up a space on the practice squad this week as well. I hope Moore is on it.

Does anyone know if Moore would've lost out on PS eligibility if he was put on IR? Would a mid-season IR give him credit for a full season?

If he's hurt and they released him instead of putting him on IR...

Yes, games on IR count the same as being on the active roster toward an accrued season.

Derrick Martin is a top special teamer. Since Carpenter and Moore are gone, and Cole is nursing a hammy, then it makes sense to sign a special teamer.

Belichick preferred Rivera to Carpenter before. It's back to the decision earlier this season.
===================

What makes no sense to me is cutting Moore when Cole is injured. I must presume that McCourty is back to safety to start opposite Dennard, with Arrington as our nickel back, perhaps being replaced by Cole when he is healthy. Surely, neither Martin nor Williams are getting reps at corner. I've got to think that Moore is more valuable on the 53 than Williams, especially after the addition of the two special teamers.
Why are you presuming McCourty is at safety? Esp when we just released a corner? EDIT--I think you mistyped.
McCourty and Dennard are the corners, Arrington or Cole the nickel/dime.

I doubt Cole's injury is serious.

It's possible that the Patriots are playing some odds here. Moore could still return on the practice squad this season and even in 2013 (if he's not claimed by another team). Had he played one more regular-season game, Moore's future practice squad eligibility would have been affected.

In that case, the Patriots could have the best of both worlds -- addressing what they apparently view as an immediate need with Martin special-teams wise, while still keeping Moore around on the practice squad to add depth at cornerback.

I hope that's the case because as bad as Moore looked at times...he' still worlds ahead of Arrington.:rolleyes:

I hope that's the case because as bad as Moore looked at times...he' still worlds ahead of Arrington.:rolleyes:
No he isn't. People think Arrington is worse because they saw him allow more plays. He allows more plays because he is in on more plays, and also is covering a better receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes