PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers release WR Hines Ward

Status
Not open for further replies.

There were times last season where he sat on the bench for the majority of games. He offers no ST contributions and was their 5th WR option at best.

There has been talk of his release for quite a while now, and when they hurried him in there suddenly at the end of last season so that he could achieve his 1,000th catch on the nose (after sitting out for long periods of time and not contributing at all) it was the final clue that he would not return.

He's respected in Pittsburgh, and played hard, as much as I don't really care for him. With Wallace being a FA this yr and Antonio Brown and E.Sanders coming up next year, they have their work cut out for them in regards to trying to keep their young WR's.

Cool. He still never dominated his position.

Did Steve Largent dominate his position ? or Art Monk or Gary Clark or Herman Moore or Tim Brown ?

Michael Irvin or Rod Smith or Jimmy Smith or Andre Reed or Torry Holt or Issac Bruce or Cris Carter or TO?

What is the criteria for "dominating" ? Do Carter, Bruce, Brown, Reed belong in HOF ?

WR's with over 1000 catches in their career
1. Rice
2. Harrison
3. TO
4. Cris Carter
5. Tim Brown
6. Issac Bruce
7. Ward

Rice and Harrison had HOF QB's throwing to them.

Ward has had who.......Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, and late in his career Rapistburger.

Last edited:
Did Steve Largent dominate his position ? or Art Monk or Gary Clark or Herman Moore or Tim Brown ?

Michael Irvin or Rod Smith or Jimmy Smith or Andre Reed or Torry Holt or Issac Bruce or Cris Carter or TO?

What is the criteria for "dominating" ? Do Carter, Bruce, Brown, Reed belong in HOF ?

I don't think the bottom line belongs in the line, but every single player you listed except for Rod Smith were better wide receivers than Hines Ward.

Did TO or Michael Irvin dominate their position? Is this a serious question?

You may not have liked him in a Steeler uniform, but you would have loved him as a Patriot

Took the words out of my mouth.

Anyone want to bet we won't see this from Ward in an upcoming ESPN interview about getting crapped on by the Steelers now?

hines-ward-crying.gif

Anyone want to bet we won't see this from Ward in an upcoming ESPN interview about getting crapped on by the Steelers now?

hines-ward-crying.gif

Vintage Whines Hard, circa January 2005 post AFCCG defeat at the hands of the 'evil' NEP.

"I (sniffle, sniffle) just wanted to see a guy like Jerome Bettis get a Super Bowl trophy (sniffle, sniffle)."

I think more people should have the opportunity to see this .gif every single day of their lives. Just for kicks.

Vintage Whines Hard, circa January 2005 post AFCCG defeat at the hands of the 'evil' NEP.

"I (sniffle, sniffle) just wanted to see a guy like Jerome Bettis get a Super Bowl trophy (sniffle, sniffle)."

I think more people should have the opportunity to see this .gif every single day of their lives. Just for kicks.

The sad thing is Supafly....he got his damn wish the very next season :mad::mad::mad::mad:

The sad thing is Supafly....he got his damn wish the very next season :mad::mad::mad::mad:

At the hands of the refs, taking 2 TD's away, and another 1st down at the 1 1/2 yd line (basically 3 TD's)...

The horrors of it all!

No coincidence that they got to avoid us with a DEN loss in the Champ Bailey game.

Whines Hard....I salute your punnery...excellent transposition of letters...just Supa

I don't know. Some people on here think that Welker's going to be elite forever too. Ward fell off at age 34. A 4 year contract puts Welker at 34 in his final year:eek:

Others thought they should have gotten rid of him already. You tell me who is screwed up?

Although I will concede that he can't be productive in a two TE offense, he sucked.

See ya. One less tool in the league. Or at least in Sh$t$burgh.

I don't know. Some people on here think that Welker's going to be elite forever too. Ward fell off at age 34. A 4 year contract puts Welker at 34 in his final year:eek:

Ward fell off at 35...he will be 36 in a week. Nice try. The Steelers went to 2 super bowls with Ward after age 31. :eek: Besides, we went to a super bowl with Ocho Stinko making $6M at age 33 and he fell off a cliff and we're going to bring him back at 34 on a restructure... when all he's ever done here is make some folks chuckle, apparently.

Ward fell off at 35...he will be 36 in a week. Nice try. The Steelers went to 2 super bowls with Ward after age 31. :eek: Besides, we went to a super bowl with Ocho Stinko making $6M at age 33 and he fell off a cliff and we're going to bring him back at 34 on a restructure... when all he's ever done here is make some folks chuckle, apparently.

Those Beats must have made a Big impression

Last edited:
IMO, he's retiring too early.

I would like for him to play long enough for someone like Patrick Chung or Brandon Spikes stick the top of their helmet into his ear hole, knocking him out cold.

He's not giving karma a chance.

At the hands of the refs, taking 2 TD's away, and another 1st down at the 1 1/2 yd line (basically 3 TD's)...

The horrors of it all!

No coincidence that they got to avoid us with a DEN loss in the Champ Bailey game.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I've been saying for years that the men in black at the league offices orchestrated that 2005 Steelers title.
It would have been embaressing for the "parity" league if they let the Patriots win 3 in a row.
Luckily for them, a handful of questionable PI calls gave the Donks a handful of 1st and goals in that game.
It's hard for even Jake Plumber not to orchestrate a score from that field position.
I still remember recognizing the point in the game that Plumber realized they were being handed the win and just started humming it downfield to gather the PI calls. That stupid, knowing smirk of his will be burned into my brain until I die.
Not going to even get into the Champ Bailey/Ben Watson touchback non-call.
Of course the league was also not going to let a small market team win the big one against the steelers. Seattle never had a real chance. Neither did Arizona for that matter. the only way a small market team wins the SB is if 2 small markmet teams make it to the superbowl... and that would take a serious breakdown of the officials gameplan for that to happen.

I realized long ago that the league would never allow another Patriots SB title in the BB/TFB era.
I think theres enough evidence in the ways our seasons have ended since 2004 to convince anyone but the blindest Patriot hater.

It's this belief that has made it hard for me to enjoy football for the past few years. I view it (the playoffs at least) as not much better than the WWE in recent years, as far as reality.
I truley wish I didn't believe this, as i'm in no way one of those conspiracy theorists.

There's my 2 cents.. commence the flaming! :p

What good is an old receiver who can't run or separate. He should retire a Steeler.

Did Steve Largent dominate his position ?
YES

or Art Monk or Gary Clark
NO (and why is Gary clark on your list?
or Herman Moore or Tim Brown ?
yes

Yes to all

[quote[What is the criteria for "dominating" ? Do Carter, Bruce, Brown, Reed belong in HOF ?[/quote]yes

WR's with over 1000 catches in their career
1. Rice
2. Harrison
3. TO
4. Cris Carter
5. Tim Brown
6. Issac Bruce
7. Ward

Rice and Harrison had HOF QB's throwing to them.
No doubt the era has to be factored in, but each of those guys was elite in thier era.

Ward has had who.......Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, and late in his career Rapistburger.
I've never liked the argument that you judge a players career by adjusting for teammates. The quality of teammates is often a reflection of the player himself, among many other issues I have with that approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
You took the words right out of my mouth.

I've been saying for years that the men in black at the league offices orchestrated that 2005 Steelers title.
It would have been embaressing for the "parity" league if they let the Patriots win 3 in a row.
Actually what is embarrassing is your comments here.
Luckily for them, a handful of questionable PI calls gave the Donks a handful of 1st and goals in that game.
It's hard for even Jake Plumber not to orchestrate a score from that field position.
I still remember recognizing the point in the game that Plumber realized they were being handed the win and just started humming it downfield to gather the PI calls. That stupid, knowing smirk of his will be burned into my brain until I die.
Not going to even get into the Champ Bailey/Ben Watson touchback non-call.
This kind of crap is an insult to the 3 Patriot teams that won it all.

Of course the league was also not going to let a small market team win the big one against the steelers. Seattle never had a real chance. Neither did Arizona for that matter. the only way a small market team wins the SB is if 2 small markmet teams make it to the superbowl... and that would take a serious breakdown of the officials gameplan for that to happen.
So, the Patriots won because the SB is fixed?

I realized long ago that the league would never allow another Patriots SB title in the BB/TFB era.
I think theres enough evidence in the ways our seasons have ended since 2004 to convince anyone but the blindest Patriot hater.

It's this belief that has made it hard for me to enjoy football for the past few years. I view it (the playoffs at least) as not much better than the WWE in recent years, as far as reality.
I truley wish I didn't believe this, as i'm in no way one of those conspiracy theorists.
You should loosen the tin foil hat, I think its cutting off the blood flow to your "brain".

There's my 2 cents.. commence the flaming! :p
This is the place where someone should invoke the Billy Madison quote.

Two of our biggest hated players...Hines Ward and Bart Scott out looking for work.

Gotta love it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back