PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers match offer sheet retain RFA WR Emmanuel Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2nd half of the AFC Title game when Ray Rice and Dennis Pitta were five yards ahead of Brandon Spikes and Dont'a Hightower on just about every down and distance passing play.

And this year, it only gets tougher considering the schedule.

As far as attractive solutions? I am glad that you don't think there are no attractive solutions. They need to bring back Lloyd or bring in one other veteran (Alexander or Laurent Robinson) and draft ONE wide receiving prospect. Based on their prospect scouting reports, this is who they have looked at:

2013 Patriots Draft Contacts | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

Notably, Courtney Gardner, projected 7th round-FA, Marquess Wilson, projected 7th round-FA, Patton/Wheaton/Woods, projected 2nd round, Hopkins, 1st round, Stedman Bailey, projected 2nd-3rd round, Cordarelle Patterson, projected 1st-2nd round if he is slipping due to his ability to separate from cornerbacks. They have also scouted Ryan Swope, projected 3rd round.

You're backpeddaling now. Let me get this straight: your solution to drafting two WR's in a deep draft and bringing in Lloyd is drafting one WR, signing a veteran (naming one that the Jaguars didn't think enough of to keep around, no less), and bringing back Lloyd?

You're backpeddaling now. Let me get this straight: your solution to drafting two WR's in a deep draft and bringing in Lloyd is drafting one WR, signing a veteran (naming one that the Jaguars didn't think enough of to keep around, no less), and bringing back Lloyd?

No - learn how to read. One Draft Wide Receiving Draft Prospect and One Veteran.

No - learn how to read. One Draft Wide Receiving Draft Prospect and One Veteran.

See, what you actually suggested was even worse than what I thought you suggested.

See, what you actually suggested was even worse than what I thought you suggested.

You really think that I care what you think?

Good God. Let me know when the tinfoil hat tears. That will probably be by the end of the 3rd round.

FWIW, and a real good laugh you guys might want to check out the Emmanuel Sanders thread on Steelers Fever.
Somebody posted an article written by Michael David Smith which he wrote today that includes some good stuff.
First of all according to his agent Sanders, is very open to playing out the year before signing an extension. His agent also says "It would have to take a VERY LUCRATIVE offer from the Steelers, for them to agree because they had SEVERAL offers from different teams already" they feel there is a very strong market for his services.
If that doesn't make you feel a little better about not getting him I don't know what will. Clearly this guy is looking, for a rather large contract.
On the flip side, a "going no where" Pittsburgh team just doubled his salary for the year, and threw away a 3rd round pick, for a 1 year rental.:singing:

(disclaimer: be forewarned there are some classy posters over there with very intellectual vocabulary when it comes to patriot topics. Really makes you realize how fortunate we are to have a higher standard here.)

The 2nd half of the AFC Title game when Ray Rice and Dennis Pitta were five yards ahead of Brandon Spikes and Dont'a Hightower on just about every down and distance passing play.

As far as attractive solutions? I am glad that you don't think there are no attractive solutions. They need to bring back Lloyd or bring in one other veteran (Alexander or Laurent Robinson) and draft ONE wide receiving prospect. Based on their prospect scouting reports, this is who they have looked at:

Notably, Courtney Gardner, projected 7th round-FA, Marquess Wilson, projected 7th round-FA, Patton/Wheaton/Woods, projected 2nd round, Hopkins, 1st round, Stedman Bailey, projected 2nd-3rd round, Cordarelle Patterson, projected 1st-2nd round if he is slipping due to his ability to separate from cornerbacks. They have also scouted Ryan Swope, projected 3rd round.

So your potential solutions are an underperformer whose brain is Cream o' Wheat, a guy whose knees are a ticking time bomb, or a guy who was unceremoniously dumped this offseason and whose re-signing would represent the ultimate act of desperation.

No, thanks. I'll take the draft.

I'm disappointed that the Patriots couldn't acquire Emmanuel Sanders, but I am by no means discouraged. The cost was steep (considering our amount of draft picks), there was no guarantee he'd even re-sign, this draft is deep with WR talent, and there was never a guarantee that Sanders would have worked out to begin with.

Let's not start berating the Patriots for being "cheap" and all this other nonsense. That's something Felger will do (and I will continue to laugh at his ineptitude). Emmanuel Sanders would have been nice, he would have (could have?) helped, but he is by no means a Randy Moss or a Jerry Rice. Put down the pitchforks. If you're going to jump ship because of this, well this boat was getting a bit crowded anyway.

The Patriots currently have:
* Kamar Aiken
* Danny Amendola
* Jeremy Ebert
* Julian Edelman
* Andre Holmes
* Michael Jenkins
* Donald Jones
* Matthew Slater

Of those players, I'd consider Amendola, Edelman, Jones and Slater to be the only locks. If Jenkins has a good camp I could see him sticking too. Of those players, the depth chart would be as follows:

X Receiver: Jones, Jenkins, Slater
Y Receiver: Amendola, Edelman

The obvious void is at the X receiver position, where Sanders would have likely occupied the starting role across from Amendola. Instead, the Patriots could choose one (or two) of the many rookies in this draft (Allen, Hopkins, Woods, Wheaton, just to name a few). Obviously who the Patriots pick will be dictated by the draft picks they have (which makes me think they'll trade out of the 1st), yet all of these receivers offer something that makes you go "wow."

I would much rather take a rookie or two this draft because of the contract situations. They would be with the team for 4 years, as opposed to Sanders' possible 1 year. It will also allow the Patriots to select a receiver that truly fits their mold, and they can develop him in the way they please. Yes, the team has drafted WR very poorly, but that should never be an excuse to simply stop doing so. If there was ever a year to hit on a WR, this is the year.

The Patriots only need one big time "X" receiver from this draft. It will round of the receiving corps nicely, and would compliment the true focus of this offense: Gronkowski and Hernandez. Combine them with a dynamic running game, I'm not too worried about this year's offense.

As long as there is a Tom, there will be a way.

You really think that I care what you think?

Good God. Let me know when the tinfoil hat tears. That will probably be by the end of the 3rd round.

What you're advocating: Lloyd or veteran with a draft pick.

What I'm advocating: Lloyd and two picks.

In your scenario, you either want a guy who, while productive, generates no YAC in an offense that calls for it or a guy that the Jags waved goodbye to along with a draft pick. In one year from that happening, WR will be a need again.

In my scenario, I'm advocating bringing Lloyd back in spite of said inability to generate YAC to at least take over the Branch role and drafting two WR's, only one of which needs to come in and make an immediate impact. Under my scenario, should we hit, the WR corps is solidified both in the near future and in the distant future. In your's we have Branch, a veteran that couldn't stick in the worst offense in the league, and a rookie. I like mine better.

And if you're going to keep calling us the tin foil hat brigade, at least figure out what that actually means.

So your potential solutions are an underperformer whose brain is Cream o' Wheat, a guy whose knees are a ticking time bomb, or a guy who was unceremoniously dumped this offseason and whose re-signing would represent the ultimate act of desperation.

No, thanks. I'll take the draft.

Jack - no offense, but Aaron Hernandez, Wes Welker, or Rob Gronkowski couldn't have fixed what was going on in Jacksonville last year.

The only bright spot that the Jaguars had last year on offense was Cecil Shorts.

If Robinson is still the same Laurent Robinson who blew up the 2nd half of the season that he had when Tony Romo was throwing him the ball in 2011, I would like to think that Tom Brady could utilize him in a similar fashion.

Do yourself a favor and study what Laurent Robinson did in the 2nd half of 2011.

What you're advocating: Lloyd or veteran with a draft pick.

What I'm advocating: Lloyd and two picks.

In your scenario, you either want a guy who, while productive, generates no YAC in an offense that calls for it or a guy that the Jags waved goodbye to along with a draft pick. In one year from that happening, WR will be a need again.

In my scenario, I'm advocating bringing Lloyd back in spite of said inability to generate YAC to at least take over the Branch role and drafting two WR's, only one of which needs to come in and make an immediate impact. Under my scenario, should we hit, the WR corps is solidified both in the near future and in the distant future. In your's we have Branch, a veteran that couldn't stick in the worst offense in the league, and a rookie. I like mine better.

And if you're going to keep calling us the tin foil hat brigade, at least figure out what that actually means.

You are one draft pick too much in a draft that will have a very high bust rate at wide receiver. If they do draft two wide receivers, one will be in the 2nd/3rd round and one will be drafted in the 7th round (i.e. Courtney Gardner).

Jack - no offense, but Aaron Hernandez, Wes Welker, or Rob Gronkowski couldn't have fixed what was going on in Jacksonville last year.

The only bright spot that the Jaguars had last year on offense was Cecil Shorts.

If Robinson is still the same Laurent Robinson who blew up the 2nd half of the season that he had when Tony Romo was throwing him the ball in 2011, I would like to think that Tom Brady could utilize him in a similar fashion.

Do yourself a favor and study what Laurent Robinson did in the 2nd half of 2011.

Please don't condescend to me; you're really the last person on this board who should be doing so.

I know full well about Laurent Robinson. He's a half-season wonder who got a lucrative deal, sustained four plus concussions, and isn't likely to be the same player again. Rather than taking a chance that he'd revert to his previous form, one of the least talented teams in the league cut him outright.

And while we're on the topic of learning things, you'll notice that Blackmon was only just behind Shorts in terms of overall production.

You are one draft pick too much in a draft that will have a very high bust rate at wide receiver. If they do draft two wide receivers, one will be in the 2nd/3rd round and one will be drafted in the 7th round (i.e. Courtney Gardner).

All skill position players have high bust potential. So using that argument as a reason for why a team shouldn't double dip at a position of extreme need doesn't make too much sense. I see the team trading back to acquire another pick, using their first pick on a WR, the second on a DE, and the third pick of another WR. This draft, to me, smacks of the 2010 draft when TE was an extreme need and the team double dipped there as well.

All skill position players have high bust potential. So using that argument as a reason for why a team shouldn't double dip at a position of extreme need doesn't make too much sense. I see the team trading back to acquire another pick, using their first pick on a WR, the second on a DE, and the third pick of another WR. This draft, to me, smacks of the 2010 draft when TE was an extreme need and the team double dipped there as well.

You may think that the current wide receiving corps of the Patriots is void of helping this team make another push in the playoffs but that doesn't make it so.

BB, McDaniels and Caserio know what they are doing and whatever it is, this team will be just fine when it comes to the passing game instead of having to use two of their first three draft picks on wide receivers.

Since you guys kept Sanders from us, could you let us borrow Yancey Thigpen instead?

LOL! I loved Yancey when he was with Pitt. Then he left, got paid, and immediately broke down. Just couldn't stay healthy. (A career arc that, incidentally, may be very close to the one that Manny Sanders follows, given his own injury history...so I don't think anyone should get too broken up about missing out on him just yet.)

For about 20 years now it seems like any good receiver (except Hines) that Pittsburgh gets its hands on, eventually leaves for greener pastures. Burress had good success until literally shooting himself in the foot (leg); Holmes, Randle El, Thigpen not so much. Regardless it's pretty much a ritual for us every 3 or 4 years.

I think you guys will draft a WR high, spend the rest of the picks on D, sign one more vet FA at the NE discount...and just keep rolling like you always do.

Please don't condescend to me; you're really the last person on this board who should be doing so.

I know full well about Laurent Robinson. He's a half-season wonder who got a lucrative deal, sustained four plus concussions, and isn't likely to be the same player again. Rather than taking a chance that he'd revert to his previous form, one of the least talented teams in the league cut him outright.

And while we're on the topic of learning things, you'll notice that Blackmon was only just behind Shorts in terms of overall production.

Justin Blackmon | Jacksonville Jaguars | NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Without the Texans game, it is safe to say that Blackmon was underwhelming last year.

As for Robinson, good point about his concussions and if he is being considered, I am sure that is going to be checked out.

Lloyd and Stallworth will be coming back. Count on it. Two rookies in the draft will need to be addressed also. Not one.

Lloyd and Stallworth will be coming back. Count on it. Two rookies in the draft will need to be addressed also. Not one.

Stallworth? I just hope that Stallworth recovers from the balloon accident.

You may think that the current wide receiving corps of the Patriots is void of helping this team make another push in the playoffs but that doesn't make it so.

Quote where I said that this team, as is currently constructed, wouldn't make the playoffs. I certainly do think that they will. The difference is that I don't think they're capable of making a playoff push or a Super Bowl appearance, much less a victory, with what the team currently has. Essentially, the same issues that have plagued the team in the last few playoff appearances will come back to haunt them again, as the defense really would have nobody to make them account for every level of the field. They would squeeze the middle of the field between the hashes and make Brady have to be lazer accurate to beat them.

You don't know this for a fact. It's funny that you talk like you have a clue, which you don't. You can't even spell Belichick's last name correctly. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back