PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers Fans Not Optimistic About 10-30-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. That whole thread is hilarious.

Brady hasn't lost to the Steelers since Halloween of 2004 when Dillon was out and Ty Law broke his foot on the first defensive series. No matter how good the Steelers' defense is, Brady usually shreads them. Last year against a much better Steelers' defense, the Pats put 39 points on them.

The Steelers could end up winning the game, but the Pats are usually a bad match up for them. I wouldn't be too optimistic if I was a Steeler fan either.
Didnt Matt Light get hurt in that game too?

It doesn't mean anything at all but before the buffalo game all everyone talked about was the fact that the pats had beaten the bills 15 straight times. While talking to a friend of mine I told him I had a bad feeling based only onnthat fact lol. They lost.

I know it's ridiculous, but hearing the nonstop chatter about Brady owning the steelers and eating their zone blitzes for breakfast makes me just as nervous. It has no bearing on reality at all but it's just how i feel.

The law of averages scares me and I'm uncomfortable about this game. I expect the steelers to switch things up defensively, because if they don't then well, shame on them lol.

To top it off it's Halloween weekend, and we all remember the last time Brady lost to Big Ben and his troops.

Please no hate I obviously want a repeat of last year and would really really love to see Brady get fired up like last year (so enjoyable formfans when his passion becomes so palpable) but I'm just a little superstitious haha.

It doesn't mean anything at all but before the buffalo game all everyone talked about was the fact that the pats had beaten the bills 15 straight times. While talking to a friend of mine I told him I had a bad feeling based only onnthat fact lol. They lost.

I know it's ridiculous, but hearing the nonstop chatter about Brady owning the steelers and eating their zone blitzes for breakfast makes me just as nervous. It has no bearing on reality at all but it's just how i feel.

The law of averages scares me and I'm uncomfortable about this game. I expect the steelers to switch things up defensively, because if they don't then well, shame on them lol.

To top it off it's Halloween weekend, and we all remember the last time Brady lost to Big Ben and his troops.

Please no hate I obviously want a repeat of last year and would really really love to see Brady get fired up like last year (so enjoyable formfans when his passion becomes so palpable) but I'm just a little superstitious haha.

I am worried too...in fact I think this game is about as close to a 'Pick em' game as there can be.

The difference to me however is that the Steelers and Pats played on a Prime Time MNF game that Halloween of 2004 and the Pats were ripe for the pickings having won a ridiculous 22 games in a row and Ben was on fire as a rookie that year...one of the best QB rookie performances that decade.

This time there is no long winning streak and also the Pats are coming off a bye and the Steelers have traveled 4,000 miles this week.

I am worried too...in fact I think this game is about as close to a 'Pick em' game as there can be.

The difference to me however is that the Steelers and Pats played on a Prime Time MNF game that Halloween of 2004 and the Pats were ripe for the pickings having won a ridiculous 22 games in a row and Ben was on fire as a rookie that year...one of the best QB rookie performances that decade.

This time there is no long winning streak and also the Pats are coming off a bye and the Steelers have traveled 4,000 miles this week.

Not to nitpick, but it was a 4:15 Sunday game in 2004.

Maybe...I def. know that Rodney went down in that '05 game, however.
I remember Rodney going down. I think Light went down in that game, too. With that vaunted Steelers pass rush, I was amazed that rookies Kaczur and Mankins held up on that left side of the line. I think Kaczur had to step in during the game.

Regards,
Chris

Kinda makes what's happened to OxyKaczur even more disappointing.

As long as they avoid both the injuries they suffered v. PitsDirt in '04 & '05,
and the turnovers (& PI hankies) of the Buffalo game,
then the Pats should do just enough to hang on to a W.

As far as being optimistic goes, why would we be? We match up horribly from a schematics standpoint. In a game of rock paper scissors, we're sort of the rock to your paper... Granted, not everyone can do it (Brady, Brees), but if you have a very decisive and accurate passer and can spread our D out and force our blitzers into coverage, you'll find holes. I wouldn't go so far to say we have no chance--it's a home game, our defense IS good, if not great, and our offense is more powerful than in previous years. Any given Sunday, right?

That all said it's hard to envision us winning. We don't have an ace slot DB for Welker, our run D has declined with the fades of Smith and Hampton, and Gronk and Hernandez should be able to run circles around our safeties (yes even Troy) and LBs (except maybe Timmons who is a pretty good coverage LB). We'd have to outscore you--and while we do have a lot of weapons now, and your D seems appetizing on paper (what the hell happened to McCourty this year btw?!), historically we've turned the ball over under the pressure of trying to match your scoring output.

Here's a sobering thought: if you look at recent history, this game should mean absolutely *nothing* regarding the eventual SB winner. Excluding the Cassell game in 08 (which frankly shouldn't count), over the past decade the winner of the Pitt-Pats regular season games have never actually gone on to become champions. Pitt won in '04 during Ben's rookie year (Pats won it then), NE edged Pitt in 05 but Pitt went on to win the SB, NE shredded Pitt in '07 but lost the SB, and then did it again last year but didn't make it out of the divisional round (and Pitt lost the SB obviously)

Kind of surprising if you think about it; you'd think given the success of the two teams over the past 10 years (they've won all but one of the AFC SBs over that time), as well as the way the games are hyped as heavyweight fights in the AFC, that the regular season winner would have won the SB at least a couple of times!

lillloyd

As far as being optimistic goes, why would we be? We match up horribly from a schematics standpoint. In a game of rock paper scissors, we're sort of the rock to your paper... Granted, not everyone can do it (Brady, Brees), but if you have a very decisive and accurate passer and can spread our D out and force our blitzers into coverage, you'll find holes. I wouldn't go so far to say we have no chance--it's a home game, our defense IS good, if not great, and our offense is more powerful than in previous years. Any given Sunday, right?

That all said it's hard to envision us winning. We don't have an ace slot DB for Welker, our run D has declined with the fades of Smith and Hampton, and Gronk and Hernandez should be able to run circles around our safeties (yes even Troy) and LBs (except maybe Timmons who is a pretty good coverage LB). We'd have to outscore you--and while we do have a lot of weapons now, and your D seems appetizing on paper (what the hell happened to McCourty this year btw?!), historically we've turned the ball over under the pressure of trying to match your scoring output.

Here's a sobering thought: if you look at recent history, this game should mean absolutely *nothing* regarding the eventual SB winner. Excluding the Cassell game in 08 (which frankly shouldn't count), over the past decade the winner of the Pitt-Pats regular season games have never actually gone on to become champions. Pitt won in '04 during Ben's rookie year (Pats won it then), NE edged Pitt in 05 but Pitt went on to win the SB, NE shredded Pitt in '07 but lost the SB, and then did it again last year but didn't make it out of the divisional round (and Pitt lost the SB obviously)

Kind of surprising if you think about it; you'd think given the success of the two teams over the past 10 years (they've won all but one of the AFC SBs over that time), as well as the way the games are hyped as heavyweight fights in the AFC, that the regular season winner would have won the SB at least a couple of times!

lillloyd

Excellent post.

Interesting nugget about the head2head and eventual SB winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes