PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

starting olb: TBC anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEM said:
A few weeks ago I posted that I believed that Tully was the reason they let Willie go...and I agree.

I remember after Willie was cut Tedy B. called out TBC and said he needed to step up. Maybe he said this because he knew of the teams plans to replace Willie with him.

zippo59 said:
I remember after Willie was cut Tedy B. called out TBC and said he needed to step up. Maybe he said this because he knew of the teams plans to replace Willie with him.
That caught my attention as well, I thought I might be reading too much into it that he called out TBC and not Beisel, but your take on it might make sense.

zippo59 said:

ya its in the globe article
i was thinking this as well

Yeah!..........................

Does anyone think TBC could survive inside ? I realize size isn't everything but at his listed 6'2" 254, he seems like the right size fit inside with Vrabel outside at 6'4".

Box_O_Rocks said:
Klecko, Klecko, Klecko...!

I feel strongly both ways.:D

I'd love to see TBC or Claridge step right in so there's no dropoff with the front 7. But I think that's unrealistic. TBC in his limited playing time has not shown he's stout against the run. And I'd think if he were showing that much in practice, he'd have been spelling Willie at times last year. Or they'd have moved Vrabel inside sooner when Tedy B was still out and Brown and Biesel showed they couldn't do the job. Claridge I know little about. But he missed his entire rookie year, and I believe wasn't in Foxboro all year though I'm not sure of that. So he's still like a rookie 5th round DP. I'm hoping they either get a vet FA or a highly rated DP at LB that can start and play well from the getgo.

flutie2phelan said:
As usual with personnel assesment, fans have to be content with analyzing
shadows on the wall ... while coaches watch everything in 3-D and bright sunlight.

What is telling is that Piolichick not only let Willie go, without a murmur ...
but also let Matt Chatham go without an audible murmur.
Matt, of course, was a role player here (his role apparently being to block in the back on returns.)
But quite a few of us think he was a real linebacker, humbly awaiting his turn.

His unit coach seemed to agree, for it was Eric Mangia who brought him to the Jersey Jets to play defense.

Letting the pair abscond ... strongly implies that Belioli is convinced that somewhere - and they know where -
among TBC ... Beisel ... Claridge ... and even 2-yr PS-er Alexander ... they have their replacement for McGinest.

Drafting a good linebacker (or two) would be just the usual re-loading.

Wow, top to bottom that was just one of the wisest posts I've read all year, flutie! "and they know where" --- you are surely right.

shakadave said:
Wow, top to bottom that was just one of the wisest posts I've read all year, flutie! "and they know where" --- you are surely right.

come on, you know flutie always comes up big

Digger44 said:
I will buy anything else in your post, but this line makes no sense at all. There is no 2-3 round projection who falls to round 7 bcs of his position. So many teams draft on best player/athelte available that he would have been a steal. When he was picked by the Pats nobody considered him a steal. A solid pick? Sure, for round 7. Not a steal.

Obviously draft prognosticators are full of it, but my recollection is TBC was projected as the poster stated. And not just by one source.

I believe an injury was involved also.

Last edited:
Plenty of playing time at OLB and ILB last year. Where was he?

I'm thinking they're clearing the way for 2 draft picks and a pickup at LB.

My impressions

I remember his first year playing that I thought he was very atheletic and had good ball skills. I also recall the special teams coack making BB give him TBC back when he had been taken off Teams and was given more of a LB role because his ST play was so good. On the other had I have an enduring memory of TBC coming clean to sack Bledsoe and literally bouncing off him. Not very strong at that point. Now who knows? Didn't he play in the last home game last year against Miami? Does anyone remember how he did?

patpatriot said:
I remember his first year playing that I thought he was very atheletic and had good ball skills. I also recall the special teams coack making BB give him TBC back when he had been taken off Teams and was given more of a LB role because his ST play was so good. On the other had I have an enduring memory of TBC coming clean to sack Bledsoe and literally bouncing off him. Not very strong at that point. Now who knows? Didn't he play in the last home game last year against Miami? Does anyone remember how he did?

i was actually at both games
the one he wasnt able to bring drew down
and last yr (and yet i only go to one game a yr)
he played pretty well last yr vs miami from what i remember

Tully has problems sealing the edge...however, sitting on the bench it's a bit difficult to improve. The few times he was in there he never showed the reaction time one would even expect from a sub...it would not surprise me IF HE IS CUT...thus the reason for more special teams signees.

Tuuly does not have the versatility that our starters do...I don't see where he is any good in coverage, doesn't get low enough to play ILB...he was a 7th round project...i choose not to drink the Kool-Aid...bye-bye Tully...go visit with Romeo.

Live ammo testing...

flutie2phelan said:
As usual with personnel assesment, fans have to be content with analyzing
shadows on the wall ... while coaches watch everything in 3-D and bright sunlight.

What is telling is that Piolichick not only let Willie go, without a murmur ...
but also let Matt Chatham go without an audible murmur.
Matt, of course, was a role player here (his role apparently being to block in the back on returns.)
But quite a few of us think he was a real linebacker, humbly awaiting his turn.

His unit coach seemed to agree, for it was Eric Mangia who brought him to the Jersey Jets to play defense.

Letting the pair abscond ... strongly implies that Belioli is convinced that somewhere - and they know where -
among TBC ... Beisel ... Claridge ... and even 2-yr PS-er Alexander ... they have their replacement for McGinest.

Drafting a good linebacker (or two) would be just the usual re-loading.

You forgot to add that Piolichcick also cut OLB Chad Brown. Another tea leaf to read.

I went back and looked at the Gamebook stats for the Miami end-of-season game,but did not review tape. That is the one that the Patriots, in effect, had an audition for all their second, third stringers. As a real game, it was much easier to see how your youngsters were able to compete against a respectable team's first string, actually playing hard as opposed to perhaps loafing in an exhibition.

Much more realsitic tthan a pre-season contest for self-scouting your depth.

At the time, everyone said it was an attempt to purposely lose for better Playoff matchups. But I think BB was being as cagey as "Brer Rabbit" when he pleaded not to get tossed in to the brair patch, instead of getting eaten by "Brer Fox".

BB knew he had a lot of transitions to make this offseason and needed some good evaluations of his youngsters,

Many came through with flying colors; Chatham, Hobbs, Poteat, Sanders and TBC had good games. TBC was the fifth rated tackler with 5 tackles and a sack, while playing most of three + quarters of action. The others had 8,7,6,and 7 tackles respectively. Sanders had a a pair of ST tackles, amongst his stats, a good omen.

Chatham demonstrated an ability too, that probably won him his FA contract with the Jets, as maybe something a bit more than prime backup depth.

TBC's play probably convinced BB/SP that letting Willie and Matt and Chad Brown go was not a complete disaster waiting to happen. Projected over a season TBC would end up with 80 tackles and 16 sacks, hardly inferior stats.
We already know he is a above average ST who can contribute there as well.

TBC might not star, but he would not be an embarassment either.

Digger44 said:
I will buy anything else in your post, but this line makes no sense at all. There is no 2-3 round projection who falls to round 7 bcs of his position. So many teams draft on best player/athelte available that he would have been a steal. When he was picked by the Pats nobody considered him a steal. A solid pick? Sure, for round 7. Not a steal.

Actually, you are wrong. TBC was considered a steal. However, he dropped because of injury. Not because of his position.

All this talk about TBC makes me think "fine in a rotation. liability on his own."

Come on. We know what we have. Colvin, Bruschi, Vrabel....and...

Tully (will start slow, if you ask me, and gain adequacy as the season progresses...) platooned with the rook. Maybe losing his starting status, if the rook is "all that." I'm thinking Lawson, and at a fast/quick 245lb., coming from the DE position, I'm thinking that initially puts him on the outside, putting Vrabel on the inside. Maybe the Pats will go for an inside guy, or the best available player for his value will not be a LB in round 1... as we always say, we don't even have tea leaves to read on the draft.

Still, I have this cherished idea of the "best front 7 around..." etc. Of course we can't always get what we want... I'd just love to see that "best front 7" continue into the 2006 season. I don't think Tully, on his own, gets us there.

We might not be done with LBs in FA either.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft