PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stallworth probably leaves after this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
How soon people forgot his contribution .... when moss was triple covered and slot was taken up he produced .Every one gives credit for moss for the 55 yrd but then the 33 yrd stallworth pulls gets crapped on.
The difference in the game is summarized below:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29321&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG9

Moss
9 rec 145 yds 1 TD

Stallworth
2 rec 42 yds 0 TD

Now, who opens up the offense for whom?

November 5, 2007
Offensive participation
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

A look at the snaps played by skill position players on offense in the Patriots' 24-20 victory over the Colts (not including four kneel-down plays):

WR Randy Moss -- 56 of 58 snaps
WR Donte' Stallworth -- 32 of 58 snaps

Moss & Stallworth will both be back next year.Don't say I didn't tell you so.

Here is what we pay Stallworth in Feb

For the Patriots to retain Stallworth for the 2008 season, they must pay him an option bonus of $6 million by Feb. 25, 2008. There is a subsequent roster bonus of $2 million due on March 1, a second roster bonus of $1.6 million based on playing time, a base salary of $1 million and a $400,000 workout bonus

So, its Feb 25th, just 2 weeks after winning the superbowl. Decisions have to be made by the FO. CJ, as the 6th WR has only been active for 3 games, and has 4 catches for 55 yards on the season. Washington, while a special teams ace, is due a 4.8 million roster bonus in 4 days if you decide to keep him.As a WR, he's had less production than CJ. Thats 5.7 mil for the 5th WR. Gaffney has signed a FA contract and is gone.

Moss is in negotiations, looks good, but nothing is wrapped up yet. So, here is what you have to decide. Keep Stallworth or not.

Of course you keep him. His cap hit of about 6 mil a year keeps looking smaller cause the cap is going up 10 mil a year.

Right now, we are about 6 mil under the cap with 45 players signed. Don't sign Washington, and thats 11 million. Redo Rosie, so he's around 4 mil cap, and now your 14 mil. Rodney takes another cut to 2 mil, and your up to 16 million, and thats with Stallworth signed.

3M for the rooks (4 on team or so), 8M for moss, and now you have 5M cap left for the last 3 roster spots and the PS. That does not include pushing 5 million forward from this years cap. That ups it to 10 mil. Maybe even take a shot at Asante, but I doubt he's staying. He's getting 70M somewhere, and its not here. Easily enough to lock Gay up also.

Last edited:
We could also franchise moss, but that is alot of money tied up in one position , a thing Belichick does not like to do..

Seriously - did Moss re-sign? Did I miss it?

People want to cut Stallworth leaving us just with Welker and Chad Jackson, and assuming they don't cut him too Washington?

Until Moss is signed sealed and delivered, how can we even contemplate cutting him?

And even if he is signed and gets injured next year would people really expect us to be just as effective with only Welker, Jackson and Washington if he tweaks a hamstring? If that's a question of spending $4 million for JAG or $6 million on Stallworth for "Moss Injury Insurance" I'm feeling pretty good about spending that additional $2 million.

Someone seems to get my point. If Moss was to go down to injury I'd have confidence in Stallworth and Welker to go out and get it done. Maybe not on the same level as Randy, but he is currently the Patriots only other #1 WR. Welker gets #1 WR reception totals, but he's not going to play on the edge all game, like Moss and Stallworth. Now, I've had a lot of hopes for Chad Jackson, and I think he has the physical tools to be a very good WR in the NFL, but I wan't to see him get it done before I'd cut Stallworth in his place.

Also, it seems a small number of the posters on this board are slightly confused about Stallworth's contract, his cap hit, and what NE would have to do in order to lighten that cap number.

1) Stallworth's total contract ($33.1M) is basically the same contract NE offered Deion Branch, and Stallworth has better career numbers than Branch without Brady as his QB.

2) Stallworth's 2008 base salary is $1M. He has a $6M option bonus, a $2M roster bonus, another $1.6M roster bonus (based on playing time), and a workout bonus of $400K. That's $11M total when including all his bonuses.

3)Really, all that bonus money is like a delayed signing bonus, should NE use the option, and it doesn't all count against his 2008 cap figure.

4) His 2008 cap hit is slated for $6.37M, and his 2009 cap hit is slated for $4.87M

5) With a simple conversion of the bonus money (mentioned above) you could lower that 2008 figure to something just over $4M. A cap hit just over $4M is perfectly reasonable for his services, and it wouldn't take an extreme backload of his contract. This could also be done without Stallworth having to lower his salary.

6) Stallworth is still a young guy (26), so by the last few years of the contract you could extend him in order to lower the cap hit. Also, by the time those last few years come up the salary cap is going to be huge, and his cap hit would be considered more than fair for his services.

IF the Patriots want to keep Donte, I don't see any reason why they can't.

---------------------------------------------------------

OT: Wow, one of the guys on Pro Football Weekly (the TV show on FSN) just said the two long PI calls against NE were bogus. Ha, didn't think I'd see any of these guys admit it on TV. Funny, none of the mediots on ESPN will admit it...

They can keep Stallworth, but if they want to keep Moss and upgrade the D next season i dont see it happening. Stallworth got paid #1 WR money before Moss was even a glimmer in BB's eye. Moss needs to get paid that money and take Stallworth's money and put it towards the D. Unless of course Moss isn't here next year, then it's very reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe