PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stallworth probably leaves after this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, I think stallworth is gone. What's his bonus, 9 mill for next year?
I don't think they will pay that and unless he is willing to renogiate his contract, then I see him getting cut.

I wish he could stay, but I think they should try and groom jackson as his replacement.
JMHO

Stallworth stays, and quite frankly we should already consider Samuel as GONE! He's going to find himself a giant contract in Free agency this year.

Stallworth stays, and quite frankly we should already consider Samuel as GONE! He's going to find himself a giant contract in Free agency this year.

Stallworth goes.

unless CJ kicks ass the 2nd half and positions himself as a suitable replacement for Donte...I see him more as a suitable replacement for Jabar who's probably gone and unfortunately I think Mr. Washington gets dropped too as his ST work can be picked up by a young, less expensive CB or WR, maybe even Bam (love to see him make the 53).

So, that'd be a WR group of
RM
DS
WW
CJ
BAM
:rocker:

My hope is that Stallworth re-works to a lucrative (but reasonable contract), and we use Washington's money (he's gone) to help get Moss on long term. Gaffney will re-sign on the cheap.

Samuel is gone, and if Gay remains healthy and continues to play steady, he'll be signed to a decent deal .

I think a lot hinges on what Jackson can bring to the table the rest of the year. If he show real promise, then Stallworth will become a casualty of that and CJ will oppose Moss next year (which I'd be okay with if he show something).

Stallworth is gone. Gaffney and CJ has more potential then they are displaying now because of their time played. Remove Stallworth and either one of these guys will fill in admirably (especially with Moss on the other side) at more than half the cost.

As I see it next year atm:
Moss
Welker
CJ
Gaffney
Bam

I don't think there's any way Stallworth stays (under the current contract). His cap number would be 9.6 mil next year so unless he restructures drastically, I think he's gone. And as much as I loved his playmaking ability, he is expendable.

Is that 9.6 all on the cap or is some broken down another way?

He DID prove himself, which is why he'd get paid more elsewhere. He'd most likely like to be a #1 receiver, not #2.

Stallworth's 2007 stats through 9 games:

Rec: 28
Yds: 453
Avg: 16.2
TDs: 3

Based on the first 9 games, his season stats project to be:

Rec: 50
Yds: 805
TD: 6

I'm not sure these numbers are enough to make it a foregone conclusion that teams will consider him a clear-cut franchise WR. Right now he's the 3rd option behind Welker and Moss.

Stallworth's 2007 stats through 9 games:

Rec: 28
Yds: 453
Avg: 16.2
TDs: 3

Based on the first 9 games, his season stats project to be:

Rec: 50
Yds: 805
TD: 6

I'm not sure these numbers are enough to make it a foregone conclusion that teams will consider him a clear-cut franchise WR. Right now he's the 3rd option behind Welker and Moss.
David Givens put up better numbers in his third season with the Patriots than Stallworth will this year.

http://www.nfl.com/players/davidgivens/careerstats?id=GIV237924

I don't think there's any way Stallworth stays (under the current contract). His cap number would be 9.6 mil next year so unless he restructures drastically, I think he's gone. And as much as I loved his playmaking ability, he is expendable.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Stallworth is on tap to hit NE's 2008 cap for 6.37M, and as has already been explained to posters of this board, NE can convert his bonus money, which would bring his 2008 cap hit down to something like 4+M.

I don't understand why some posters seem so certain he's not going to come back next year. Frankly, I love his RAC ability, and I think BB will keep him around.

I think he's a great fit for this offense I hope he stays somehow.
Maybe he will take less to play with Tom.
Or maybe Tom will take a ridiculous pay cut to keep the team intact to steamroll the stats on his way to the hall of fame.
If he would take much less he would be my all time favorite player ever in any sport.

I don't understand why some posters seem so certain he's not going to come back next year. Frankly, I love his RAC ability, and I think BB will keep him around.
Care to speculate how much Randy Moss will cost the Patriots next year?

I know its the bye week and not much going on except for Shulagate... But I dont want to think about next season till after the parade... :rocker:

That's what I think.

4 WR of Jackson, GAffney, Moss, Welker. That's pretty good.

Plus Washington if he stays with a reworked low money contract and the 2 guys on the practice squad. That's plenty.

Can we please change the thread title to "I think/want Stallworth Leaves After This Year"

If you're going to make baseless predictions it'd be nice if the thread title indicated this.

I think that Stallworth stays because a big part of the reason he came was because Brady talked him into it based on their historical relationship. There is cap room to be found...have faith in Belioli.

While I'm 100% positive that Belioli is looking at this team and thinking "I can't wait until the end of the season so that we can break up the greatest offense in NFL history!", perhaps there is that 1% chance that they'll change their minds and decide that historic greatness is an acceptable thing, even in back to back seasons.

Just a thought.;)

Care to speculate how much Randy Moss will cost the Patriots next year?

Well, if Randy puts his money where his mouth is beyond this season, he'll take a fair contract, but won't try to kill NE. With incentives reached Moss will make $5M this year. I think he's worth more than that (obviously), but I think he'll be fair to the team.

3 years for something between $20M to $25M sounds about right. 20 for three is $6.6M per, while 25 for three is $8.3M per. I think it'll be somewhere in between that $1.7M per yearly difference.

So, 3 years for $22.5M sounds about right. Again, I think Randy will want a fair contract, but won't try to kill the Patriots on the figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back