PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation about Zappe getting cut

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A Zappe cut would be a shocker. I don’t think they would gain much from a move like that if anything at all. He’s still on his rookie deal.
Wouldn't be about cap, would be about upgrading at QB2 if they feel like they would not get enough from him if Mac was hurt. It may depend on if they see a clear upgrade become available.

Wouldn't be about cap, would be about upgrading at QB2 if they feel like they would not get enough from him if Mac was hurt. It may depend on if they see a clear upgrade become available.
Hard to see someone like that available imo. Guys like Colt McCoy were let go for a reason and I’m not sure a trade for some generic QB2 is better than a guy on a rookie contract who already knows the system and has won with it.

Hard to see someone like that available imo. Guys like Colt McCoy were let go for a reason and I’m not sure a trade for some generic QB2 is better than a guy on a rookie contract who already knows the system and has won with it.
I maybe in the minority here, but I wouldn't doubt them bringing in a Vet who may only be QB2 on paper. I think the room needs a veteran voice. No idea who that may be but I think they sign a guy.

Matt Ryan?
I looked up the current list. These are in no specific order but the few guys that stood out:

Ryan
Wentz
Foles

Also on there:

Flaccid and obviously McCoy

Nothing exciting.

Edit: I did not put Flaccid. That was spelling correct...even auto correct knows what's up.

Curran seems to think that they might want to move on from Zappe after his subpar preseason and McCoy could be an option.

Not sure I see how that moves the needle. Lose Mac for an extended period of time and the season is probably over anyway. McCoy likely won’t be bailing them out any more than Zappe would. And at least Zappe knows this system.

IIRC Cassel had a terrible camp and preseason in 08 and he did a more than adequate job filling in when he had to. Just saying.

Last edited:
Curran seems to think that they might want to move on from Zappe after his subpar preseason and McCoy could be an option.

IIRC Cassel had a terrible camp and preseason in 08 and he did a more than adequate job filling in when he had to. Just saying.
I remember posters here torching his pre-season performance.

Not sure I see how that moves the needle. Lose Mac for an extended period of time and the season is probably over anyway. McCoy likely won’t be bailing them out any more than Zappe would. And at least Zappe knows this system.

Interesting that is Curran's take because it wouldn't surprise me if Zappe was cut and put on the practice squad. I doubt he gets claimed if cut.

Interesting that is Curran's take because it wouldn't surprise me if Zappe was cut and put on the practice squad. I doubt he gets claimed if cut.
I don't think zappe will get cut or put on the ps... he's going to be the backup this year and next... eventually they will move on, like they did with stidham

I don't think zappe will get cut or put on the ps... he's going to be the backup this year and next... eventually they will move on, like they did with stidham
He won’t get cut. A lot of people are trashing him over the the preseason data in which a wet paper bag would have given him more protection and time to throw. I agree with you he will be backup for remaining 2 years and if he has to come in hopefully he is competent…..but he showed a ton of potential last year while working with the STARTERS/no. 1’s….he may still have potential who knows

I think they will draft a mid round QB next April.

They will most likely keep both in 2024, but Zappe's position might be on the line if the rookie looks better.

But Zappe will be the backup this year.

He will absolutely get claimed
Guess we'll find out. I just don't see him as a major upgrade to anyone's QB room worthy of being on their 53 next week.

And honestly he looks lost currently. Fortunately for him I am not sure any of the available guys are worth taking a flyer on either.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back