PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Special teams concern - Trindon Holliday

Status
Not open for further replies.

micronin127

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Last year's playoff game Ravens @ Broncos will be remembered for the defensive breakdown at the end of the game to force overtime.

But during the game, Holliday scored 2 special teams touchdowns. It was really the difference in that game. (<-- Edit: by difference I don't mean outcome. It would have been Denver trying to play from behind and force overtime without those 14 points.)

This week we released Leon Washington, who was never healthy, and this likely means we'll see more of Josh Boyce.

I wonder what we can do to limit the Broncos special teams to keep the starting field position relatively even. With a cold weather and wind game we might not be able to count on kicking it out of the end zone.

Ryan Allen will have to be sharp with directional punting and hang time to not outkick his coverage.

I am dressing extra warm for tonight and will try to let the defense know that I am there by yelling a lot. I actually don't mind the cold, the weather adds to the in game experience. I hope we have the loudest crowd of the year tonight as this can really disrupt a team that tries to audible a lot at the line like the Broncos.

Let's go Patriots!!!

this is a very good question...forgot all about him and you're dead on with that concern

Have to kick it out of the EZ and directional kick punts as much as possible with that guy. At least the Pats KO and punt coverage seems better this year than last year. Slater is key, as always.

Holiday has been a threat on kick offs, but he has only returned 16 balls this year. Kick offs are becoming less and less of an issue for any team. Gostkowski is good at kicking unreturnable kick offs.

On punt returns, he has been rather ordinary other than one TD run. In fact, he has been more of a problem than help since he has fumbled quite a bit. He currently has 250 yards on 25 returns, but 81 one of them were on one play. That means on the other 24 returns, he is averaging 7.0 yards per return.

I think as long as Gostkowski can kick the kick offs out of the back of the end zone, Holliday will be a non-factor.

He's a threat, but he's also suffered from fumblitis this year. Let's hope that guy shows up! Let's also hope with this wind that Ghost can continue to kick the ball through or deep into the endzone.

What do you think of our "cough, cough" return game on kickoffs? I cringe every time Blount tries to run it out, wishing he would just take a knee in the end zone.

except that edelman is consistently a bigger threat than holliday in punt returns....at least this year

as for kickoff returns, the pats are 2nd in the NFL in coverage

besides, there have been 3 kickoff returns for TD's this year in the NFL.....it doesn't happen unless there's a complete breakdown

given the conditions, today will come down to ownership of the line of scrimmage. the line play from the carolina game needs to be duplicated........hmmm, maybe that's what it was all about last week, using that game to get ready for this one, because if they can succeed in applying the same kind of pressure on manning, this game is a blowout for the pats

He's a threat, but he's also suffered from fumblitis this year. Let's hope that guy shows up! Let's also hope with this wind that Ghost can continue to kick the ball through or deep into the endzone.

What do you think of our "cough, cough" return game on kickoffs? I cringe every time Blount tries to run it out, wishing he would just take a knee in the end zone.

Why do you cringe when Blount tries to run it out, be is probably one of the more consistent kick returners in the NFL? He isn't a threat to take it to the house, but he damn consistent in bring it past the 21-25 yard line and rarely gets it inside the 15. He has had 15 returns this season and 12 of them were for 20 plus yards. His longest was 30, but he averages 23.3 YPR. I can't remember the last return he made that didn't make it to at least the 18-19 yardline.

The perception of Blount by fans is ridiculous. Blount is a pretty reliable kick returner. He isn't a threat to bring it to the house, but he is almost guaranteed to get you to at least the 20 yard line. He is one of the more reliable kick returners in the NFL.

slater will keep in in check all game.

Trindon has earned the nickname "heart attack" with Broncos fans. When he touches the ball, the odds are high that he'll either break it for a big return, or fumble it and totally screw us over.

Once he catches it and makes a move, he's real dangerous. But until he's caught the ball and started running--he's terrifying, in the sense that it could be a disaster for either team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST