PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sounds like the Pats are trading out of the 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched enough Patriots drafts to know that continuing to do so is not must-see TV.

they dont really have the roster spots for a ton of rookies

I think NE has more room for rookies than public perception seems to indicate. That aside, the Patriots don't appear to have any qualms about taking a few extra swings at the cost of having to ditch 3-4 aside.

I know it's VERY unsexy and doesn't inspire 2015 goose bumps - but if a team I think will suck this season offers their 2016 first for #32, I do it.

But yeah I wonder if teams take any leaked info out of New England seriously. ....
Sometimes they do:

dewayne-robertson-03-draft-day.jpg

I know it's VERY unsexy and doesn't inspire 2015 goose bumps - but if a team I think will suck this season offers their 2016 first for #32, I do it.
That inspires goose bumps in me. Peter King seems to think it's possible:

2. I think Tennessee, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville, three of the first four teams in the second round, all have inquired with late-first-round teams about trading up into the bottom of the first round. I’ll be following that in the hours before the draft.

6. I think the Patriots are in a great spot at 32. So many teams high in the second round want to move up, and the Patriots don’t have to take anyone here. If they could get the 2016 first-round pick of a current bad team, I’d do that deal in a second…

7. … I think there’s one exception. New England likes USC wide receiver Nelson Agholor. ...

Oh dear Lord ! Is Rico suggesting I am starting to think like Peter King ? Where do I get myself tested ?

It might be the exact opposite. With a lack of top-notch talent, if one of those guys slides, maybe BB goes up to get him, especially knowing he may not get much with his mid-round picks.

It's impossible to say for sure but I'm sure BB is preparing to move up, down, upside down, whatever.

Oh dear Lord ! Is Rico suggesting I am starting to think like Peter King ? Where do I get myself tested ?

As long as you aren't stupid enough to believe NE is going to pass up a future first and a current year kicker for a wide receiver, then you should be fine.

If we can somehow get a 16 1st from a team in the top half of the 2nd that wants to move back in...i will be in heaven. This draft class does nothing for me..but 5 picks in top 100? they will get plenty of good talent

Having less room for rookies doesn't seem like team disinformation coming off another Super Bowl winning season.

Trading into next year with a bad team probably rewards their patience. Otherwise, they make the pick if they like their choice or trade down if they like their second round chances. Trading their 6th and 7th round picks (possibly with earlier picks) to move up in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th rounds will cut down on their number of draft pick rookies. Moving up in rounds 2-5 increases the chance that those selections are good enough to make the team. Getting rid of those late round picks has several advantages:

They don't need to make any snap decisions with the thinning talent in those rounds. Several players they project for those rounds should be available in the UDFA pool. UDFA candidates know about the Patriot reputation for giving them a chance and will like their chances even better with fewer late round draftees to battle. While they will need to rush to acquire as many of the UDFA candidates as they can, this is still a more controllable and relatively deliberate process than those quick late round picks of dwindling talent.

They will probably never find another Tom Brady in the 6th round. This was a once in a lifetime event for the entire league. The odds this could occur are probably even less if everyone is judging talent better more recently. Another Edelman might be out there but what are the chances? The opportunity cost in those last two rounds is small compared to the earlier rounds. The right UDFA players (who get to choose you as much as you get to choose them) are possibly better bets to make the team overall.

I will howeer feel bad for the people that stay up expecting the pats to pick..only for them to trade away and those same people will get mad and say pats always do this blah blah blah

I am not even going to stay up to watch the pick this year. :eek:
I won't be able to resist, but it's maddening to sit there all night, only to see the words "the Patriots have traded out of the 32nd spot...." after waiting all night! The sad thing is, I get caught every time!

I will howeer feel bad for the people that stay up expecting the pats to pick..only for them to trade away and those same people will get mad and say pats always do this blah blah blah
LOL, see my post above, which I posted before I read your post. Post that poster!!

How long does the first round take again? won't they pick at like midnight? well..NOT pick at midnight?

Local veterinarian, maybe one specializing in golden retrievers.

How long does the first round take again? won't they pick at like midnight? well..NOT pick at midnight?

I'm guessing sometime between 11--11:30. That's usually the sweet spot for the last few picks.

I enjoy watching. I don't need for NE to pick to enjoy the spectacle. That's what it is - in the end - I mean J-Football talk was intense.... and in the end, this guy nobody knew from a school no one had heard of intercepted the ball to win the SB...

I won't be able to resist, but it's maddening to sit there all night, only to see the words "the Patriots have traded out of the 32nd spot...." after waiting all night! The sad thing is, I get caught every time!

That's why I wish they'd televise the 1st and 2nd round together/same night

IDK, the draft is my achilles heel in football knowledge, but it certainly seems that there is quite a few top to middle of the first round talent rumored to be sliding to late in the first. Don't count out the Pats trading up if someone does fall.

NHL 2nd round kicks off tomorrow night..i will be all over that

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand